I think I am stuck putting my TV above my fireplace - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Aberk
  • 1 Post By Michael Bender

post #1 of 17 Old 06-04-2017, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think I am stuck putting my TV above my fireplace

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a house and I am currently working on replacing flooring and kitchen cabinets, but i have a dilemma in regards to placing everything in the great room.

The way the great room is setup there is a big window on one wall, a big opening on another wall, the wall that splits the kitchen and great room, then a wall with a fireplace. The fireplace wall is the focal point of the room and dead center. I keep thinking I can put the tv on the same wall the kitchen is on, but then I wont have any room for furniture and the couch will block the fireplace.

I can put the tv left or right of the fireplace, but i run into major speaker placement issues. I would basically have to shove the right speaker next to the tv, the center speaker will be off center in the room and the left speaker will be way far left.

Unfortunately I cannot find a solution that doesnt go back to putting the TV above the fireplace. So i am here for the following:

1. Can anyone else provide a better option that putting above the fireplace? it is just a gas insert type fireplace, so it doesnt get hot, so i am not worried about heat or soot to destroy the tv.

2. If i put the tv above the fireplace, I know the tv will be high for viewing, so i figured at the minimum I can get one of those pull down fireplace tv mounts, so i can lower the tv to proper eye level. Which If i do this, brings up another issue. My center channel is a Axiom Audio VP150. it is a decent size center channel, so i would need a pull down mount that moves down the tv and the center channel. Has anyone had any luck with any of these pull down mounts that works well with a big TV and a big center channel?

The mount would need to pull down an LG OLED 65EF9500 and the axiom audio VP150.

Basically i am stuck right now and looking for a solution.

I have attached my house plans, so looking for peoples opinions and what solutions they came up with.

Thanks,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Layout.pdf (800.0 KB, 121 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-04-2017, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Does the fireplace provide any heat to speak of for the room? If not could you just get rid of it and build something that looks good in front of it that you could lower the tv to a better location?

You might be able to mount the center on the wall above the TV when the swing down mount is up , tilted down toward the listening position to avoid having to find a mount for it to attach to the swing down . My speakers are all mounted close to the ceiling due to the 120" screen and room issues that preclude any other options for positioning and I don't notice any of the issues I've read about with dialog seeming to be coming from the wrong place.

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #3 of 17 Old 06-05-2017, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 154
my solution...get a deep comfortable couch and lay back and watch. I like my TV over the fireplace. I can see it while I cook and I can see while I'm sprawled out on the couch. I have a big deep soft couch and when I sit down my head naturally looks up b/c I'm practically laying down when I sit.
NickTheGreat likes this.

post #4 of 17 Old 06-05-2017, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, the fireplace and its location is going to stay at this time, so working around it.

I do have some concerns mounting the center channel that high above the tv, especially with the tv pulled down and the center channel that high. My ceilings are around 14ft tall in that room if it makes any difference.

I might try going with that pull down monoprice tv mount and just modifying it and creating some sort of bracket for the center channel to mount to it.

I have to modify it to begin with because stupid LG did not use standard Vesa mounting on the 65EF9500 OLED.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-05-2017, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a house and I am currently working on replacing flooring and kitchen cabinets, but i have a dilemma in regards to placing everything in the great room.

The way the great room is setup there is a big window on one wall, a big opening on another wall, the wall that splits the kitchen and great room, then a wall with a fireplace.

Thanks,
Still talking about pull-down mounts??? Did you read Aberk's post??

I also have my tv well above eye-level when seated and watching it. But like Aberk my seating is very laid-back (recliners in fact) and when comfortably in my preferred reclined position, the tv is exactly where it needs to be.

There is no such thing as a one-and-only correct tv height, as I have seen some posters insist. The correct tv position should be determined by your body position when seated in the position you will be watching the tv. Yes, straight-back couches or armchairs, tv should be at eye-level height, but if the viewing seating is in a reclined position, with neck back, the eyes are looking upwards, not dead horizontal.

The only qualification I would add is that I wish I could tilt (not lower) my tv so that the plane of the tv is close to a right-angle to my line-of-site when in my recliner chair and reclining in my normal watching position.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-05-2017, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

I am still looking at the pull down option as without it, the tv will be too high for normal viewing except maybe laying back as everyone mentioned.

There are not many options out there for pull downs. Who has had the best luck? I like the idea of a motorized one, but from what I can find they cost more than the TV, so thats out.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-06-2017, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I agree that theres not really a true perfect height for the tv for every seating position , and have always thought if you are reclined then the screen could , and probably should be higher so you aren't straining to look "down" from the reclined position . It just seems that most living room seating , especially if theres a wife involved isn't of the laid back feet up in your underpants watching s*** explode variety so the screen should be a little lower .

OP , can you pull the fake logs out of the fireplace and squeeze the tv in the opening? when you want a fire , go to the Roku channel that has several fires to choose from and play one on the screen . I'm assuming that channel still exists , I haven't checked for a while . Good luck getting your gear set up.

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #8 of 17 Old 06-12-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
TV's are traditionally low mounted because most people have 8' ceilings and not a lot of options. If you have the height don't be scared to use it. Our living room has a 10' ceiling with a large fireplace where the TV made the most sense so we put it above the fireplace. The bottom of my TV is nearly 6' from the ground but it angles down and considering the living room is so large we sit a ways back. It's not uncomfortable at all. In fact, we ended up placing our bedroom tv at almost the same height because it looks funny down low when you have tall ceilings.

You have to decorate differently when you have all that extra real estate. People who have never lived in a house like this won't understand.

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong
post #9 of 17 Old 06-12-2017, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I have ten foot ceilings in living room and my layout is somewhat similar to yours.

We also have a gas insert fireplace but others I know with similar fireplaces have had to move their TV as they can smell the plastic melting when the fireplace is on.

From a design standpoint, we want a big piece of art above our fireplace. I opted for a swivel mount and mounted my TV on the side wall next to the fireplace. In this room, we are just going to use a soundbar. Most important thing for me is I did not want to have to look up at a TV, I have enough neck problems.

I attached a picture, we just moved in so we don't have any artwork up yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	2185929  

Last edited by HTMatrix; 06-12-2017 at 07:10 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-14-2017, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMatrix View Post
Most important thing for me is I did not want to have to look up at a TV, I have enough neck problems.

I attached a picture, we just moved in so we don't have any artwork up yet.
You do not get neck probs looking up at a tv if you seating is of the recliner variety: reclined, with head and neck resting on the back of the chair, your natural line of site IS up.

On the other hand, from that picture, I would certainly be getting a twisted neck problem having to keep my head twisted to the right to watch a tv that is so far over to the right hand side of the wall, and I was in the left-hand chair.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-14-2017, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
You do not get neck probs looking up at a tv if you seating is of the recliner variety: reclined, with head and neck resting on the back of the chair, your natural line of site IS up.

On the other hand, from that picture, I would certainly be getting a twisted neck problem having to keep my head twisted to the right to watch a tv that is so far over to the right hand side of the wall, and I was in the left-hand chair.
For those that use recliners, I agree, no big deal. Recliners in living room's aren't nearly as common anymore though. Instead of a recliner, on a lazy Sunday, I lay on the couch that isn't pictured in the pic. At that level, the tv placement is perfect, I just turn the swivel to have the TV face me. A tv high above the fireplace wouldn't work in that application.

Left hand chair, isn't the best, but is rarely used as well, I think every room has seats in the room that don't work well.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When I renovated my house, my wife and I talked about wanting to have a TV in the Living Room but not wanting to see it when we're not watching it. So I had the contractor build a box above the fireplace that would fit the TV. I use a Clo Systems X-Arm motorized TV mount to move the TV out from the box and tilt it down/left/right depending on where we're sitting. When the TV is fully retracted into the box, a panel with a painting on it comes down over it. The motorized panel unit is visible in the top of the box center, and is made by TV CoverUps. For sound, I have two systems in the living room. One is a Sonos system; there is Sonos PlayBar on the bottom of the TV box and behind the TV. It actually works quite well with the TV extended out of the box. There is a Sonos Sub and a Sonos CONNECT:Amp for the rear surrounds. I have six ceiling mount speakers (LF, RF, LR, RR, 2xCenter wired in parallel) and use the rear speakers for Sonos surround. The other ceiling mount speakers are not used when I'm using the Sonos system.

The other audio system in the room is a true 5.1 setup driven by a Denon AVR-S950H receiver. Not shown in the picture are a pair of speakers mounted on either side of the TV CoverUps motor unit; these are used for LF and RF when the painting panel is open. When the panel is closed, the LF, RF ceiling speakers are used. Since I need to share the LR, RR ceiling speakers between the Sonos CONNECT:Amp and the Denon, and have to switch between it using the LF, RF ceiling speakers when he painting panel is closed and the LF, RF speakers in the box when the panel is open, I have some complex speaker switching control using a RaspberyPI that drives a bunch of speaker relays and gets input from the panel position sensors so it knows the state of the panel. The Denon's subwoofer line out is connected to a Velodyne 18" servo sub. I am toying with the idea of reinstalling my ButtKicker under the floorboards for that extra bass punch.

All of this is a compromise to not have a bunch of technology visible in the Living Room. I am not a big fan of ceiling mount speakers, and I would have loved to have a Dolby Atoms 7.1 setup, but you do what you can do given the constraints you have.

The TV is a new LG 55" OLED panel. Everything in the system is 4K. The Denon is used to switch the HDMI signals around; it has this really useful mode that allows it to operate an an HDMI switcher even when it's in standby mode. In standby, it still responds to the remote to select the HDMI input to send to the TV, and it passes audio over HDMI. When you power on the Denon, it then routes the audio through it's own audio chain and does not send it to the TV. This is a really wonderful feature of this receiver, and hats off to Denon for thinking of this.

The TV might look a bit cramped in the box, that's because when I did my renovation in 2008, I had the box built to accommodate a 47" panel (large at the time) and when I upgraded to 4K, it was a tight squeeze to get the LG to fit. I did a lot of measuring and building prototypes out of cardboard to make sure everything would fit. I had to remount my X-Arm up an inch so that it would clear the PlayBar.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
TV over fireplace

Here is a picture of my TV over my fireplace and a link to pictures of my recent work in progress where I updated the TV box to handle the new LG panel, the Sonos PlayBar, added sensors for the picture panel and control of the lights above the painting so that they would only go on when the painting panel was closed.

http://https://drive.google.com/open...DRqeUJPTVRoUlU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0029.JPG (1.46 MB, 77 views)
bmcn likes this.

Last edited by Michael Bender; 09-12-2017 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Added link to picture gallery.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-15-2017, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Where do you have your components in that setup like cable box, BD player?

75" Samsung UN75MU6300, Yamaha TSR-5810, BA CR7 fronts, BA CR1 Center, BA micros surrounds, ELAC A4 presence, Samsung UBD-M9500, Directv HR-54 system, Apple TV 4K
post #15 of 17 Old 09-30-2017, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Consider running without s center too depending on the quality of your mains etc. It can sound pretty great if set up well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #16 of 17 Old 10-11-2017, 10:03 AM

Liked: 2
I hung my old 50” kuro from one of the monoprice pull down mounts. It’s well over the specified weight but it works. It also leave a bit of room over my mantle and pulls down in front of it.

Honestly though aside from testing and once in a blue moon but we really don’t use it all that much and it really doesn’t bother us at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #17 of 17 Old 10-11-2017, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have TV's over both my fireplaces. You can see one in the article I wrote a while back about building an airstone fireplace:

http://gameroominfo.com/2017/09/08/b...one-fireplace/

Hopefully that helps a little. We have an LG soundbar underneath it. We used to have the same concern about the height but it's never been a problem. I think the only time it would be a problem for us is if our furniture was too close and made the angle too much.

My website on game room related stuff like pinball, bubble hockey, foosball, home theater, etc.
http://gameroominfo.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page