Now Showing - What We Watched - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3031 of 7914 Old 12-28-2006, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Last night: The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.

This is an excellent film and I highly recommend it. Tommy Lee Jones stars and directs.

Randy

Visit Cinema Murray

Check out a video of my theater here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 7914 Old 12-28-2006, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Last Night : Derailed

I really liked it. Some of it was just great. B+

Dan
post #3033 of 7914 Old 12-28-2006, 07:22 AM

CptnRandy,

I agree with you on Three Burials. It was a great movie and the whole cast was excellent.

Roger
------------------------------------------
post #3034 of 7914 Old 12-28-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

We tried to watch Wolf Creek this past weekend, but couldn't make it all the way through it. I am running out of HD movies to rent from Netflix, so I thought I would give this a try. Definitely not my type of movie. It started out slow, and when the action did get started it was a bit too much gore for me. Others may like it, but I ended up shutting it down.

We also watched Out of Sight in HD. I thought it was rather boring, and not that funny or plausible even for a comedy. Wouldn't recommend it unless it was for a rainy Sunday afternoon with nothing else to watch.
post #3035 of 7914 Old 12-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

I've always liked Out of Sight actually. I thought all of the characters were interesting and really well done. Cheadle in particular is just excellent in it. I'll agree and say it's less comedy, and more crime/drama/romance.
post #3036 of 7914 Old 12-28-2006, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I also agree that "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" is an excellent movie with a big thumbs up for me!

Don
post #3037 of 7914 Old 12-28-2006, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Watched Snakes on a Plane.
It's so nice to see a movie deliver exactly what's promised.
Even had some paning surround effects out back.
It's PG-13 with one scene and two bad words to turn it into an R rated film (EDIT: oh I see it's PG14 Adult Accompanyment).
Come on, you've seen the trailer, tell me you didn't laugh and said "Yes, that's what we want. A film that needs no explaining, it's gonna be the cheapest CGI snakes on a plane you ever did see, and lots of them. Oh boy, I can't wait for the DVD." Then you slap yourself on the face.
Not the proudest moment for hollywood perhaps, and hardly spiritually refining and enlightening, but a very fun ride nonetheless. I'm glad I saw it. Got a grin on ma face.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #3038 of 7914 Old 12-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Bob, I think it comes out on dvd next week, so you won't have to wait too long

This past weekend we caught up on some oldies: Oh Brother... Trading Places and not so old-16 Blocks. Must say we liked them all. Prefered the theatrical ending in 16 Blocks over the alternate ending though, glad they changed it. Saw Eddie on "Inside the Actor's Studio" and had to go watch Trading Places again. Guess I'll be watching some more oldies this upcoming weekend as well. I've got too much to catch up on as it is.

All I want for Christmas is my two front seats
post #3039 of 7914 Old 12-29-2006, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaps View Post

I've always liked Out of Sight actually. I thought all of the characters were interesting and really well done. Cheadle in particular is just excellent in it. I'll agree and say it's less comedy, and more crime/drama/romance.

I think more people enjoyed it than didn't. I am just one of the outliers. I didn't find anything 'new' about the story, so I think that is why I was bored by it. Rotten Tomatoes gave it great reviews!
post #3040 of 7914 Old 12-30-2006, 08:06 AM

The wife and I watched The DaVinci Code last night. Having never read the book, we enjoyed it. Not a great movie, but an entertaining one.

-Dave
-There are Ten Thunders in the Wake: The Seventh Thunder is Tribal Man again. --Triumph 1984
-My HT Blog (archived) and Photo Gallery
post #3041 of 7914 Old 12-30-2006, 08:38 AM

We just set up the new front project for Christmas so we have been watching lots of movies:
Lake House - good movie, makes you think
Click - funny and has a great message
Lucky Number Slevin - starts out slow but stick with it, good movie
Over The Hedge - good movie
Behind Enemy Lines2- not as good as the first but okay
Lady in the Water - good movie
My Super X Girlfriend - not bad, funny
Blazing Saddles - classic
Benchwarmers - funny
Family Stone- good movie
Bad News Bears - funny
post #3042 of 7914 Old 12-30-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got my 360 HD DDV addon about a week ago. Putting it through some test.

Watched JARHEAD and You,Me & Dupree. Both on HD-DVD.

JARHEAD was O.K. had some funny scenes, but I say it's a rental. (which I did rent)

You, Me & Dupree was really funny to me. I enjoyed it.

I have Lady In The Water (HD-DVD) up next. I'm loving High Definition Movies.
post #3043 of 7914 Old 12-30-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Nacho Libre. (note the distinct lack of a link)
There are movies that keep you on the edge of your seat, excited to see what happens next. This is not one of those. I give thanks and praise that I did not gouge my own eyes out in a moment of self preservation. I bought it used.

Relatively speaking, Crank was a much better film. Watched the commentary -- interesting that after meeting the 'girlfriend' actress, they added several scenes with her, all of which are somewhat unusual and help the film's uniqueness.

Watched The Ten Commandments 1959. You've seen it; you know what it is, and what's right and wrong about it. It's been a few years since I'd seen it last, and had forgotten a few scenes. A worthwhile way to spend a few hours.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #3044 of 7914 Old 12-30-2006, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Just added Joyeux Noel and Three Burials to my Blockbuster queue. Thanks guys.

Watched much movies over the holidays...

The Descent (DVD) - Excellent movie. A great example of the horror genre. It has a depth that can be deceiving. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Total Recall (HD DVD) - Great looking French import disc. I had forgotten how crazy this movie is. 3 out of 5 stars.

Fearless (HD DVD) - Beautiful movie. Great looking HD DVD. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Beerfest (DVD) - Not a good movie but I liked it just fine. There is something about boobs and beer that is almost universally good. 3 out 5 stars.

Second Hand Lions (CBS HD) - Watched this on Christmas day. I love this movie. If you haven't seen this film I highly recommend it. It's not for everyone to be sure, but if it's up your ally you'll love it too. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

World Trade Center (HD DVD) - This movie wasn't quite what I expected. In retrospect I'm not sure what I was thinking. Anyway, it's a good movie. It tugs at the old heart strings and it hits close to home but not nearly as close for me as others. 3 out of 5 stars.

Blood Diamond (AMC Theater) - Very good movie. For me this is a must buy when it comes to a HD format. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Jeff

Gamertag - Ktulu1

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero
post #3045 of 7914 Old 12-30-2006, 04:20 PM

A few posts back there was a reference to Trading Places, well last night I broke out Beverly Hills Cop. Forgot how much fun that was... then watched Die Another Day with the wife. One of the few quiet moments during the holidays we have had as all the relatives were gone, unfortunately...they came back... and won't leave until after New Years Day.

"The difficult we do immediately. The impossible will take a week, ten days at the most."
post #3046 of 7914 Old 12-30-2006, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had a bunch of family over - filled up the theater, but I sat out. They watched "Adventures in Babysitting."

Did stick around for the opening with Elizabeth Shue dancing, though.

Randy

Visit Cinema Murray

post #3047 of 7914 Old 12-30-2006, 08:30 PM

Wife and I just walked out of "About Schmidt" , what a stinker. Sister-in-law is still down in the theater. And what a disappointment being a Jack Nicholson flick.

"The difficult we do immediately. The impossible will take a week, ten days at the most."
post #3048 of 7914 Old 12-30-2006, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRandy View Post

Had a bunch of family over - filled up the theater, but I sat out. They watched "Adventures in Babysitting."

Did stick around for the opening with Elizabeth Shue dancing, though.

Randy

That was one of my favorite movies when I was younger. I had a major crush on Elizabeth Shue when that movie came out...

I don't know how many versions of that movie are available on DVD, but the copy I have looked pretty bad on my 92" screen...
post #3049 of 7914 Old 12-31-2006, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

COACH2369:
Yes. Adventures in Babysitting great film, lousy transfer. Sometimes I watch just the classic lip-sync in the opening scene where where Chris Parker (Elisabeth Shue) is dancing to the goldie "And Then He Kissed Me." Sometimes I fast forward to Babysitting Blues.

The worst 'professional' transfer I've ever seen is Down Periscope starring Kelsey Grammer. In the widescreen version what they did is took the VHS version of the movie (4:3 pan-and-scan -- already chopped left and right, say 320x240 pixels), and chopped off the top and bottom to make it 16:9 (now 320x180 pixels with previously unheard of vertical-pan-and-scan). Fuzzy city and unwatchable on a big screen (projected at 1024x576). The Full Screen version (320x240 pixels) was watchable on a little television, but a still noticably bad transfer.

post #3050 of 7914 Old 12-31-2006, 06:15 PM

Liked: 16
Watched Hustle & Flow last night and thought it was pretty good 4/5. I was expecting the typical Blackspoitation film but it wasn't. The film felt very authentic and didn't glorify the pimp/ho lifestyle at all. Terrence Howard's acting was excellent. Taryn Manning provided the eye candy although I must confess to feeling a bit dirty when looking at her... Afterall she was playing the role of a $20 whore...
post #3051 of 7914 Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

"The Interpreter", good flick, good looking in HD, good acting by Sean Penn and Nicole Kidman. Not great but worth the time.

"Click", was good but had some Adam Sandler juvenile influence that detracted from the story.
post #3052 of 7914 Old 01-07-2007, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Friday night the wife and I watched "Beyond the Sea". I enjoyed it - Spacey made some gutsy choices and although they didn't all work, the overall effect was a decent musical bio-pic.

Randy

Visit Cinema Murray

post #3053 of 7914 Old 01-08-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to this. Wonder if I'll have 3D in my theater by 2009.

January 8, 2007
Titanic' Director Joins Fox on $200 Million Film
By SHARON WAXMAN
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 8 James Cameron, the director whose Titanic set a record for ticket sales around the world, will join 20th Century Fox in tackling a similarly ambitious and costly film, Avatar, which will test new technologies on a scale unseen before in Hollywood, the studio and the filmmaker said today.

The film, with a budget of close to $200 million, is an original science fiction story that will be shown in3D in conventional theaters. The story pits a human army against an alien army on a distant planet, using live actors and digital technology to make a large cast of virtual creatures who convey emotion as authentically as humans.

Earlier movies like the The Lord of the Rings did so on a limited basis, while those like The Polar Express have used live actors to drive animated images with so-called motion capture technology. But none has gone as far as Avatar will do to create an entirely photorealistic world, complete with virtual characters on that scale, Mr. Cameron said in a telephone interview.

This film is a true hybrid a full live-action shoot, with C.G. characters in C.G. and live environments, he said, referring computer-generated images. Ideally at the end of the of day the audience has no idea which they're looking at.

The making of Titanic, Mr. Cameron's last full-blown Hollywood feature, was the stuff of movie legend. The film, released in 1997, went far over its planned cost to become the most expensive production that had then been made. But it went on to become a historic success, taking in a record-breaking $1.8 billion at the worldwide box office, and also winning 11 Oscars, including an award for best picture.

Mr. Cameron said that he had taken care to avoid the problems he encountered on his last gargantuan production, and that he was already four months into shooting the nonprincipal scenes by the time Fox gave final approval to the project today.

I've looked long and hard at Titanic' and other effects-related things I've done where they've drifted budget-wise, he said. This has been designed from the ground up to avoid those pitfalls. Will we have other pitfalls? Yes, probably.

For its aliens, Avatar will rely on characters that will be designed in the computer, but played by human actors, with tiny cameras on headsets recording their performances to be inserted into a virtual world.

Mr. Cameron has already devised revolutionary methods to shoot the film, which he has been quietly doing since the fall, and expects to create still more methods to bring to life the vision of a completely realistic alien world. He and computer experts have designed a camera that allows the director to observe the performance of the actors-as-aliens in the virtual environment in real time.

Sam Worthington, a young Australian actor, has been named to play the lead, as a paralyzed former marine who undergoes an experiment to exist as an avatar, another version of himself. The avatar is not paralyzed, but is an alien 10 feet tall and blue. Zoe Saldana, another relative unknown, has been chosen as the love interest.

We could do it with make-up, in a Star Trek' manner, we could put rubber on his face, but I wasn't interested in doing it that way, said Mr. Cameron. With the new tools, we can create a humanoid character that is anything we imagine it to be beautiful, elegant, graceful, powerful evocative of us, but still with an emotional connection.

The live-action shoot with actors will begin in April, with major effects being done by Weta, the filmmaker Peter Jackson's New Zealand-based effects company, which worked on his Lord of the Rings. The film is scheduled for release in summer 2009.

This will launch an entire new way of seeing and exhibiting movies, said Jim Gianopulos, co-chairman of Fox Filmed Entertainment. It's once again Jim is transforming the medium. Jim's not just a filmmaker; every one of his films have pushed the envelope, in its aesthetic and in technology. This is an astounding undertaking, and one only Jim could do justice to.
post #3054 of 7914 Old 01-09-2007, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

I just finished Miami Vice on HD DVD last night. Not a bad movie. It really had practically zero in common with the original Miami Vice series. Some decent high tension scenes.

My one gripe with last night's experience was the first minute or so of the movie while the title credits were being shown. The only audio is a mid-low bass rumble that's just there for no reason (practically nothing going on video-wise also). It just happened to bring out a buzz in my sub's amplifier that I never heard before and excited a mode at my money seat that made that first minute really un-listenable. I was already at around 15db below reference and had to turn it down during this rumble. Even in my seats with the best room response, this beginning was just annoying.

Dan
post #3055 of 7914 Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaps View Post

I just finished Miami Vice on HD DVD last night. Not a bad movie. It really had practically zero in common with the original Miami Vice series. Some decent high tension scenes.

My one gripe with last night's experience was the first minute or so of the movie while the title credits were being shown. The only audio is a mid-low bass rumble that's just there for no reason (practically nothing going on video-wise also). It just happened to bring out a buzz in my sub's amplifier that I never heard before and excited a mode at my money seat that made that first minute really un-listenable. I was already at around 15db below reference and had to turn it down during this rumble. Even in my seats with the best room response, this beginning was just annoying.

Dan

did you watch the UNRATED or Theatrical edition? What I really liked about the Theatrical version (when I saw it in theaters) was that there was no credits or title scene...it just dropped you into the movie (the club scene)....really different and unexpected and it worked....with the UNRATED, they had a more conventional opening with title screen and credits....

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #3056 of 7914 Old 01-09-2007, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched all the Kings Men on Bluray over the last weekend as well as Descent. The latter being interesting cinematically but a real stinker other wise. All the Kings Men was absolutely beautiful looking on Bluray and the story was good too. I watched King Kong on HD-DVD and looked at a couple scenes from Batman Begins on HD-DVD. Both good transfers but not as good as the best Bluray I have seen. I have both the MI3 disc on Bluray and HD-DVD. Honestly, on my 720p projector there is not much if any difference. People who were saying Bluray looks bad need to get a full screen 16:9 movie like All the Kings Men and then rethink what they previously thought. The resolution is there and it definitely shows.

The Spiral Staircase Theater Build Thread
zxlr88- Xbox live and PS Network
post #3057 of 7914 Old 01-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

It was the un-rated one then...

I definitely would have preferred to skip the whole boat racing/credit intro...

I just went and took out my RTA, listened again, and the rumble is based right around 80hz, falling off more sharply above than below. It looks like I need to spend a little more time with my PEQ and get rid of that amp buzz as well.....grrr.....

I was planning on having some friends over to watch it last night. I'm sure glad I didn't.
post #3058 of 7914 Old 01-09-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxlr8 View Post

Watched all the Kings Men on Bluray over the last weekend as well as Descent. The latter being interesting cinematically but a real stinker other wise. All the Kings Men was absolutely beautiful looking on Bluray and the story was good too. I watched King Kong on HD-DVD and looked at a couple scenes from Batman Begins on HD-DVD. Both good transfers but not as good as the best Bluray I have seen. I have both the MI3 disc on Bluray and HD-DVD. Honestly, on my 720p projector there is not much if any difference. People who were saying Bluray looks bad need to get a full screen 16:9 movie like All the Kings Men and then rethink what they previously thought. The resolution is there and it definitely shows.

you didn't watch the Descent on Blu-ray...unless you have a PS3

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #3059 of 7914 Old 01-09-2007, 06:26 PM

Had a friend over who is a big college football fan (any college football). I showed him The Long Grey Line, in particular the scene when Army gets beat by Notre Dame after Knute Rockney throws the first forward pass.

Great movie.
post #3060 of 7914 Old 01-10-2007, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

you didn't watch the Descent on Blu-ray...unless you have a PS3

Yes I have a PS3. Great Bluray player. What is your point?

The Spiral Staircase Theater Build Thread
zxlr88- Xbox live and PS Network
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Spy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page