Now Showing - What We Watched - Page 176 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5251 of 7926 Old 03-15-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Finally got a chance to watch a movie over the weekend. Wife and I finally sat down to The Hangover - 4/5. Funny, funny, funny! I was surprised at how the story played out. I expected that the premise of the movie would be to watch the night of the bachelor party unfold in "real time". While this wasn't the case it still was fun to see what went on in the little blips here and there. I guess we got a 2 for 1 (mystery and a comedy ).

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5252 of 7926 Old 03-16-2010, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Watched the first episode of "The Pacific".

It's good, of course. I think it will be some time before I can judge if it's as good as "Band of Brothers".

Saturday night we watched "House of Flying Daggers". Good stuff.

Randy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out a video of my 

post #5253 of 7926 Old 03-17-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Watched Couples Retreat and Everybody's Fine.

Couples Retreat was pretty funny with some real laugh out loud moments. Classic Vince Vaughn 3/5.

Everybody's Fine was a sleeper for me. I had not heard much about the film and was surprised at how much I liked the film. Very touching film about family, relationships, expectations, and dreams. Worth a watch for sure 4/5.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #5254 of 7926 Old 03-18-2010, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Runaway Jury- Finally, after how many years got around to seeing this one. It wasn't available on BR, so I just kept passing on it.

Filmed in my hometown of New Orleans, and with a great cast, it had me rivoted for the entire time! Great movie. And after all that waiting, it was one of the better DVD's I've seen.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #5255 of 7926 Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Been quite busy watching movies here lately...

The Princess and the Frog - Classic Disney animation and story. Very well done even if the basic story is the same. A nice visual movie as well. If you had children less than say six the "Shadow Man" and his demons could be kind of scary. 3.5/5

Planet 51 - Pretty good movie, but not spectacular. Not as good as Monsters vs. Aliens nor as the Disney offering. Worth a rent, but don't expect a lot. 3/5

Armored - Surprisingly a pretty good movie, but I think the ending is botched. The movie (IMHO) just seems to end abruptly after a seemingly long buildup. Surprising that this movie did not get more "ink". 3.5/5

The Hangover - I could very easily see that this is a love it or hate it type of movie. Seems there is not many here who take the middle of the road. I absolutely loved this movie. There were parts I was laughing so hard that I had tears. One of if not the funniest movies I have watched recently. Very glad I rented it and one of those movies I think you need to "be in the mood for". 4/5

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #5256 of 7926 Old 03-18-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 68
RT,

Thanks for the review > Netflix just delivered Armored to my mailbox

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #5257 of 7926 Old 03-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Runaway Jury- Finally, after how many years got around to seeing this one. It wasn't available on BR, so I just kept passing on it.

Filmed in my hometown of New Orleans, and with a great cast, it had me rivoted for the entire time! Great movie. And after all that waiting, it was one of the better DVD's I've seen.

One of my favorite Grisham books!! They really butchered the movie if you read the book, but it was still entertaining I'll give it that. Cusack can save pretty much anything.

Jon

post #5258 of 7926 Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 PM

Zombieland Crazy, funny, out of control movie. Woody Harrelson at probably his best. Give the man his freakin Twinkie 5/5
post #5259 of 7926 Old 03-19-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG5589 View Post

Zombieland Crazy, funny, out of control movie. Woody Harrelson at probably his best. Give the man his freakin Twinkie 5/5

+1. I totally loved this movie. Love the Bill Murray part, not to mention Emma Stone.

Thanks,
Ed

post #5260 of 7926 Old 03-19-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy View Post

+1. I totally loved this movie. Love the Bill Murray part, not to mention Emma Stone.

Agreed, and I too think Woody put together a great performance.

It is one of those movies you just need to watch, trying to explain to someone who has not seen the film is fruitless.

Not for everyone, but I typically don't like horror movies, but technically calling this a horror movie is like calling the Matrix a documentary.

Regards,

RTROSE

SNOWBALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not the taste it's the texture!

post #5261 of 7926 Old 03-19-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy View Post

Love the Bill Murray part, not to mention Emma Stone.

I misread your post. I thought you meant Emma Samms, rather than Emma Stone, and of course I didn't remember Emma Samms in Zombieland mostly because she wasn't in it.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #5262 of 7926 Old 03-19-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post

I misread your post. I thought you meant Emma Samms, rather than Emma Stone, and of course I didn't remember Emma Samms in Zombieland mostly because she wasn't in it.

Ha, Emma Samms. That's funny. Haven't heard or thought of her in a long time. She was definitely hot in the day.

Thanks,
Ed

post #5263 of 7926 Old 03-20-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Re-watched "Vertical Limit" last night.
First time on BR in the HT. Excellent video shots and great Audio effects. 4/5

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #5264 of 7926 Old 03-20-2010, 06:56 PM

Watched Up in the Air. 5/5.

As someone who went through a layoff, I fully appreciate the passion of the terminated employees. I would not have bought in to the consolation line, but it was nice touch. The scripting and acting was right on and handled the entire topic with dignity. No real social comment either way, just showing the job for what it is, just a job.

Remember Norm on Cheers when he had the job of letting people go? The show handled the topic well with comedy.

What was the Woody Allen movie where, at the start, he was fired by a well trained parrot? Even though it was made in what, the 70's, it was in interesting precursor to the impartiality of the internet and text messaging.

Carl

"Is the glass half empty, half full, or the wrong size?"

post #5265 of 7926 Old 03-20-2010, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

My wife wanted to watch the latest Twilight offering. Sheesh what a train wreck! Even my wife said it was a strange movie. Terrible, Terrible, Terrible........1.5/5

The other movie I redboxed is A body of Lies. Lets hope this one is better.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #5266 of 7926 Old 03-21-2010, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Sherlock Holmes 2009
4/5
Some of the CGI was obvious,
nevertheless the pacing was non-stop, and it was an enjoyable tale.
BluRay video and audio were superb.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #5267 of 7926 Old 03-22-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

"Watched" Planet 51 Friday night with the family TBD/5 stars. I fell asleep about 20 minutes in. Not sure if that has anything to do with the movie or if I was just that tired. I'll re-evaluate once I watch it all the way through.

Mike

Still Dreaming!
post #5268 of 7926 Old 03-22-2010, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched Armored yesterday.
Was disappointed, my expectations were probably too high. PQ and AQ were good enough. But the story line was pretty shallow 2.5/5.0

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #5269 of 7926 Old 03-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Not a movie, but I watched the first 2 episodes of Life on the Discovery Channel last night. As someone who enjoyed the BBC's Planet Earth series, i found Life to be another amazing nature documentary that continues to amaze and delight. Great visuals (the entire series is filmed in hi-def.) and decent narration (I'm not a big fan of Oprah Winfrey, but she does an ok job). If you enjoy nature shows, give it a whirl. There will be a total of 11 episodes in the series followed by a BluRay release in June.

post #5270 of 7926 Old 03-23-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched Inside Man last night - 3.5/4 stars. A pretty good movie about a bank robbery, interesting story plot, great actors. Got a little slow in the middle and I thought the ending was a little blah, but otherwise a good movie.

Mike

Still Dreaming!
post #5271 of 7926 Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Watched a couple things last night:

John Adams (HBO mini series...first DVD) - I'm a history buff of sorts and especially like this whole period of our American History and am just fascinated by the character, integrity, and leadership of our founding fathers.....if only they could see us now perhaps they would have thought differently??? Anyhow not to make this a political statement, but I really enjoyed the first half and can't wait for the NetFlix to send the 2nd BR.

Zombieland - Holy crap I loved this movie!! I laughed out loud numerous times and thought is was a very funny spin on the whole zombie genre. Sort of an American version of Sean of the Dead...and as great as Sean was, I laughed more at this one.

Jon

post #5272 of 7926 Old 03-23-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Watched Armored yesterday.
Was disappointed, my expectations were probably too high. PQ and AQ were good enough. But the story line was pretty shallow 2.5/5.0

Guess you won't be relying on my reviews anymore huh? Maybe somewhere down the line I can redeem myself.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #5273 of 7926 Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Couldn't wait for "Pirate Radio",
so I ordered "The Boat That Rocked (BluRay)" from Australia.
Same film, except the UK/Oz cut is about 15 minutes longer with several scenes in a different order than the North American release "Pirate Radio".
3.3/5
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Bill Nighy, Kennith Branagh, Talulah Riley etc
The director also directed Black Adder.
Set in 1966 there was a group of DJ's on a ship in the North Sea that's playing rock and roll 24 hours a day. Of course their are those in parliament want this to end at any cost.

Not much truly happens in the film, and from a history point of view there's lots of flaws, but the music is great (so what if most of the music is from after the end of pirate radio) and it's never boring or pausable and many of the plot points are unpredictable.
The 45 minutes of deleted scenes are really really good. For crying out loud if you watch this film do not skip the deleted scenes.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Especially
- The Meaning of Life "haven't seen this film but if they can cut out scenes like this it must be great"
- Radio Sunshine "No no, I enjoyed the company"

Oh, and there's a wee bit of nudity with 35 heterosexual young women on bed with a heterosexual guy that may or may not be in the US version

post #5274 of 7926 Old 03-24-2010, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Astro Boy- 3 of 5. Great video and even better audio. Story was average at best.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #5275 of 7926 Old 03-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Ok,

It is rare when I can actually claim that after watching a movie I can make a "I just don't get it" type of comment, but I had one of those moments last night. The movie was Watchmen.

Could have been a combination of factors, but I could not ever get into the movie and lost interest pretty early on, is there something I'm missing here????? I did stick with it till the end, but was left flat at the end. The character I most enjoyed in this film was Rorschach which surprises me as I am more of a "white hat" hero kind of guy. Obviously the film is dark, I get that, but I guess it just was not for me. 2/5

Regards,

RTROSE

Definitely not alone in your assessment. I could not believe all the hype this movie had and when I watched it, could not stay with it. This one immediately went up for sale after watching it.

Most recently watched The Hurt Locker again. Brother hadn't seen it yet so we put it on. Great movie.

post #5276 of 7926 Old 03-24-2010, 06:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Watched The Fourth Kind this last weekend. I think that your own beliefs will greatly impact how you feel about this movie. I liked it, and found it to be more than I was expecting, creepy kind of scary and I actually thought about it later. I very much liked the technique of mixing the real footage with the actor's versions - I thought was very well done and a good technique.

If you have any interest in alien abduction theories or movies, X-Files kind of stuff, etc... give it a shot.

Spoiler  
Yes I know all the discussion about the real footage not being real. It's a movie, not a documentary. If a very famous documentary maker can create and edit scenes and win an Oscar for it, I'm ok with a non-documentary doing the same...

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #5277 of 7926 Old 03-28-2010, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Toy Story 2 (BD) 5/5 - Is this movie really 11 years old? Wow. I haven't seen it since this since it was in the theaters, but it's held up exceptionally well. The BD release is gorgeous and sounds incredible - the unexpected LFE gave my subwoofer a workout. Not much more I can say about this film that hasn't been said already.

post #5278 of 7926 Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Last night watched 2012.

Not bad. Just turn off your mind and enjoy the ride!

Randy

Check out a video of my 

post #5279 of 7926 Old 03-28-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Moon
1.9/5
Just too slow for me. I had guessed the plot twist before it was all explained about half way through, and thereafter it was predictable. The sets were reasonable, even if the hanging computer did remind me of the hanging computer in Wall-E. This is not your goddaughter's Silent Running.
Quote:

Sam Bell (Sam Rockwell) is nearing the completion of his 3-year-long contract with Lunar Industries, mining Earth's primary source of energy on the dark side of the moon. Alone with only the base's vigilant computer Gerty (Kevin Spacey) as his sole companion, Bell's extended isolation has taken its toll. His only link to the outside world comes from satellite messages from his wife and young daughter. He longs to return home, but a terrible accident on the lunar surface leads to a disturbing discovery that contributes to his growing sense of paranoia and dislocation so many miles away from home.

post #5280 of 7926 Old 03-28-2010, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRandy View Post

Last night watched 2012.

Did you watch the alternate ending?

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Spy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page