Now Showing - What We Watched - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2004, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I "tolerated" Liar Liar - the least objectionable of his comedies. The Truman Show would have also been better with another actor.

I also don't care for Robin Williams when he goes into his manic comedic schtick. I think he's terrific when he's in control.

Randy

Visit Cinema Murray

Check out a video of my theater here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2004, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Gus
[b]...And biased refs. Me and you BOTH know that was a fumble and without bad calling, the scores may have shifted by 14 points.

The only dissapointment was that I chose a very bad time to hit the bathroom. I went during the imfamous "Costume Malfuction"!!!

Gus

I also had a SuperBowl party. It too was a big hit. Every TV/projector in the house was tuned into the game...including small TVs in all the bathrooms....don't want to miss any good plays.....who know there would be an 'equipment malfunction' during half-time show.

Steve
Old 02-04-2004, 04:16 PM

Liked: 10
In the past couple of days we watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Frighteners, and Punch Drunk Love.

We love Chitty Chitty Bang Bang; the new DVD transfer's not bad. It's just a fun story that takes you back to the old days of lighthearted movies (Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, My Fair Lady, etc.).

We saw The Frighteners in the theater when it was first released; we liked it then, but it doesn't have the same appeal to us today. Strange.

Punch Drunk Love was purchased by my wife because it has the word "love" in the title Surprisingly, it was a better movie that I thought it would be.

"So why don't you put her in charge?" - Hudson
Old 02-04-2004, 10:12 PM

Rented Second hand Lions tonite and watched it with my 4 kids, an enjoyable movie with an interesting story and some old fashion movie elements. The ending was alittle cheezy but a good family film. Tomorrow night will be Lost in Translation.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Lost In Translation is out on DVD?

~Markito
Old 02-05-2004, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Markito
Lost In Translation is out on DVD?

Yes! Just came out last week I believe. Netflix was kind enough to send us a copy immediately, though we haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Can't wait!
Old 02-05-2004, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Originally posted by CptnRandy
I "tolerated" Liar Liar - the least objectionable of his comedies. The Truman Show would have also been better with another actor.

I also don't care for Robin Williams when he goes into his manic comedic schtick. I think he's terrific when he's in control.

Randy

i agree with you randy about robin williams..mrs doubt fire is a classic..i'm not a jim carrey fan normally,but i thought bruce almighty was awesome fun.

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
Old 02-05-2004, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Me too.

~Markito
Old 02-06-2004, 09:51 AM

Tried to watch Lost in Translation last night but turned it off after about the first 45 minutes. It wasn't that I didn't like it, it just wasn't very interesting to me. I am a big Bill Murray fan so it is not that I don't like him, maybe if I watch it all the way thru I will see what all the hoppla is about.
Did watch IMAX movie about Michael Jordan that I found in the Walmart 5.50 bin last night, if you are a MJ fan be sure to grab a copy.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:10 AM

Saturday Evening Video-Fest at the Bishop Multiplex

The kids came over last night and couldn't decide what to watch (as usual)!

So...

The girls watched "Le Divorce" with Kate Hudson.
They seemed to like it, I guess I will have to check it out later.

The grandkids watched "Daddy Day Care" with Eddie Murphy.
There was a lot of giggling and screaming and not only from the movie.
This is another to add to my ever-growing list of movies to check out.

The boys checked out "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" with Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall, Ron and another guy.
If you can enjoy this type of humour, it was a riot!

Good old dad slipped away and watched "Lost in Translation" with Bill Murray. I like Bill Murray and I really enjoyed the movie.

I had read on previous posts that you either loved or hated the movie. Chalk one up for the "loved the movie" fans.

I left Japan when I was 11 and haven't been home since. My mom sends me VHS videotapes of the Tv shows and they are a scream!

Daniel

Bishop Cineplex
With 3 kids, 10 grandkids, 6 dogs and 19 guinea pigs...whats a fella to do?
Old 02-08-2004, 06:27 AM

Upcoming DVD Movie Releases this Tuesday 10FEB04

Lion King 1 1/2
_

Intolerable Cruelty: George Clooney & Catherine Zeta Jones

"A slick Beverly Hills divorce lawyer (Clooney) frames the wife (Zeta-Jones) of a client to get him released from the marriage without a settlement. She vows to get revenge by marrying the attorney, aiming to take him to the cleaners in their own savage divorce, but what she doesn't expect is that she falls in love with him in the process. "

_

In the Cut: Meg Ryan, Mark Ruffalo, Kevin Bacon

"A New York writing professor, Franny Thorstin (Ryan), has an erotic affair with a police detective (Ruffalo) investigating a murder in her neighborhood of a beautiful young woman. "
_

Daniel

Bishop Cineplex
With 3 kids, 10 grandkids, 6 dogs and 19 guinea pigs...whats a fella to do?
Old 02-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Gus
AVS Special Member

Last night:

Out Of Time - With Danzel Washington. Very suspenseful. The PQ was nothing to write home about, but the plot made up for it. It was sonewhat predictable, but still very good.

Afterward, we watched The Lion King in HD on ABC. My two-year-old-to-be (2-10-04) was mesmerized by the picture. Were it not for the commercials, this would have been the high point of this theatre (except for Superbowl 38 minus the halftime show)

Gus
Old 02-08-2004, 07:41 PM

Punch Drunk Love was amazing. I went in the theatre originally knowing nothing about the movie except for the name. I saw Adam Sandler in the opening scene and had certain feelings for the movie right then and there.

Needless to say, I was completely wrong.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Broke out Band of Brothers this weekend and watched the first 8 episodes on the new DLP projector. Looks even more stunning than I first remembered. Great piece of work and a must add for everyones DVD collection.

Also got to see Cabin Fever and Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Cabin Fever is your typical adolescent B-rated horror flick, complete with two gratuituous sex scenes. One great line when one of the last girls realizes she is going to die and she turns to the guy and comes up with a great analogy about dying in an airplane and all you want to do is F__k the lights out of the guy you are with. Then she does. The only other aspect of this forgetable film is Rider Storm of Boy Meets World has his "coming" out as the boy the girl F__ks the lights out of.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico was interesting, stupid but cool nonetheless. I never quite got the Mariachi or Desperado but I guess you aren't supposed to. This movie fits that vein. One thing I would have liked to have had more Spanish guitar playing. I don't think it was Antonio playing it but if it was then lets have more in the next one. Its a good meaningless adolescent action film.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:33 AM

Last night I watched 3 movies after a full day of sledding with the kids, shopping, then more sledding on the way home. We all watched one of our favorite movies together, The Great Outdoors, with John Candy. It is a great family film. I then watched Die Another Day, which, while not up to par with my old Bond favorites, was still pretty good. I finished off the night with Notting Hill, I can watch that movie if for no other reason than to look at Julia Roberts. She is just stunning in that movie. Beyond that I really enjoy the humor, especially any scene with Hugh Grants roommate Spike. I know many would probably consider this a chick flick, but it is a movie I can watch over and over again, if only to fall in love with Julia over and over.

Also, while shopping today I walked into a Bose store out of curiosity. They had a scene from Drumline running on a loop on a Phillips HDTV that was just unbelieveable. I asked what type of DVD player was being used and it was their DVD/CD player through Svideo, not even progressive scan! I would have sworn it was a HD feed! I think I will be heading to Hollywood Video to try to pick up a used copy tonite, that scene alone is a great way to show off a system.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched "Swimming Pool" last night.
Very boring beginning... strange plot... strange and ambiguous ending.

Not the best film I've ever seen, but I can't get it out of my head.

~Markito
Old 02-09-2004, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

We watched "About Schmidt" last night. We found this to be a very sad movie. While I don't find this movie ever to be worth a second viewing, I did like seeing Jack Nicholson expanding his acting ability beyond any type of role that he has ever done before. If you were not familiar with this movie and Jack never even spoke a word in it, then you may not even have recognized that it even was Jack playing that part.

Don
Old 02-09-2004, 01:09 PM

Last night I watched Jackie Chan's, "The Medallion." It's pretty simple, if you like Jackie's movies, you'll like this one. It was a lot of fun. Lots of good laughs and the requisite gymanastic and martial art special effects that Jackie is noted for. I'm a fan again now that he's dumped Owen Wilson.

Rich
Old 02-10-2004, 03:01 AM

Liked: 11
Frailty-Liked it so much we went out and bought it!

American Beauty-A true classic!

Rules of Engagement-Samuel L. Jackson, need I say more?

On The 8th Day, God Created Home Theater.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:56 AM

Friday night was Ghosts of Mars. Crap on so many levels.

Saturday: Lawrence of Arabia. Excellent movie. I wish I had watched this movie earlier in my lifetime. Of course I might not have appreciated it then.

Sunday: Under a Tuscan Sun. surprisingly I liked it more than my wife, but not by much. the picture was beautiful and of course it has Diane Lane.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Saturday - Open Range with Costner, Duvall, and Benning. Plot was so so, but characters, dialog, and some great cinematography made it an enjoyable movie.

I know what I'll be watching on September 21st!!
http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/n...s20040210.html
Confirmed straight from the source.

Regards,
David

My Home Theater
Old 02-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Gus
AVS Special Member

My son is (forcibly) requesting Lion King 1.5. Tomorrow will be one of those rare week-day movie nights to accomodate his demand, er.. request. If I can save time by getting to Bestbuy during lunch, I may have time to watch Intolarable Cruelty.

David, I too enjoyed Open Range. A welcome departure from the current crop of "video game/ extended MTV-video fare. Awesome cinematography!

Gus
Old 02-10-2004, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I just bought "Lion King 1 1/2" today at Best Buy for my boys. We got the snacks out and really enjoyed it. It was very creative how they "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead"ed the old familiar "Lion King" story. It was very funny and had my young boys screaming with laughter from start to finish.

I was also pleasantly surprised that they got the original voice cast back together for it. Young kids will love it and us older kids at heart will enjoy pointing out the scenes that we remember from L.K.1.

I also bought today: "Under The Tuscan Sun" (Beautiful Italy & Diane Lane, need I say more?!?), "Seabiscuit" (I still haven't seen it yet) and "Bruce Almighty", which I thought was well done.

~Markito
Old 02-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Gus
AVS Special Member

Markito,

Is Lion King 1 1/2 similar in PQ to the original? Is it 16X9 anamorphic?

Gus
Old 02-11-2004, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched "The Producers" (1968) last night. I never saw this movie until now. I told my wife that Gene Wilder was in it, but he was not coming up on the beginning screen credits so I was beginning to wonder if I was wrong. At the end of the credits his named appeared as co-starring. I looked it up on the Internet Database and this was only Wilder's third movie, third one right after "Bonnie and Clyde", which I did not even know he was in.
The movie was anamorphic (1.85) with an excellent transfer. While I am not a big fan of Mel Brooks movies, I did find it entertaining enough to justify the $5.50 I paid for the movie at Walmart.

Don
Old 02-11-2004, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night - Rain Man

Dustin Hoffman is a genius. Cruise was very good in this as well. Very deserving of the accolades that it received...

Regards,
David

My Home Theater
Old 02-11-2004, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by David_Larkins
Last night - Rain Man

Dustin Hoffman is a genius. Cruise was very good in this as well. Very deserving of the accolades that it received...

I totally agree.

We saw this movie many times on LD. Just picked up the DVD a couple of days ago; we're looking forward to seeing this terrific movie again.

"So why don't you put her in charge?" - Hudson
Old 02-11-2004, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Gus, L.K. 1.5 is anamorphic (1.85) so it fills the whole 16:9 screen. Yay!!!!!!The PQ and surround sound doesn't seem quite as good as the recent DVD release of the original, but still quite good.

~Markito
Old 02-11-2004, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Another 2 thumbs up for Open Range. Saw it in the theater, and watched it again twice when the DVD came out. Quite some audio during the shootout, huh?

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

My DVD Profiler
Old 02-11-2004, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
We watched Second Hand Lions the past weekend. I knew nothing about this movie. I stumbled upon it at Blockbuster, they had several of them on the shelf. Kind of looked like I was the only one renting this flick. I was really surprised how good this movie was. It's a great family movie, very enjoyable and funny.

Starring: Michael Caine
Robert Duvall

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Spy by PriceGrabber.com