Forum Jump: 

post #6181 of 7919 Old 07-06-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66
RT (All),
These two both happen to be my favorites also (aside from some animated flicks -not many choices out there; that are both suitable for the entire family and can be considered above average to very good).

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6182 of 7919 Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Just finished watching Drive Angry - was pretty enjoyable - kind of glad I watched it by myself though, not sure if it would have been my wife's cup of tea. That gorgeous girl sure held up nicely to all the beating and thrashing about, very resilient.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #6183 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
RT, I agree. What are the odds of having two magician themed movies that are each so good!?!

Brad, my world is off axis this morning. For the first time, we part ways in our assesment. My wife did walk out on "Drive Angry", and I watched the second half in fast forward. It may have had some value if the guys were over drinking beer and watching, but for a tired old man at the end of a long day....it was junk.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #6184 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 257
"Gamer" 2/5 (on Netflix Watch Instantly): This one is a bit tough for me to rate. I don't think it's quite as bad as a 2, but it's certainly not a 3, and I don't want to open the partial points can of worms. There really isn't much of plot, and no over the top special effects to speak of to make up for it. A little too gory for my taste, and the nudity was unnecessary (I get what the director was trying to portray, but he belabors the point). Definitely not a movie to watch with the family.

So why so difficult to rate? Well, I rated it as a 3 on Netflix because as a gamer it was an interesting premise for a movie, but I can't really recommend anyone else watch it. That's why it earns a 2 here.

Now for my rant. I know it's been asked countless times, but why can't we get a good game based movie? There's certainly plenty of material out there that would make a great movie. Bioshock comes to mind immediately, but we end up with movies like Doom and Mortal Kombat.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #6185 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Brad, my world is off axis this morning. For the first time, we part ways in our assesment. My wife did walk out on "Drive Angry", and I watched the second half in fast forward. It may have had some value if the guys were over drinking beer and watching, but for a tired old man at the end of a long day....it was junk.

I am easily amused I guess - I don't set the bar nearly as high as many in this thread do, as far as what I can find enjoyable. Maybe its the newness of the HT experience, or maybe it was that the lead girl in the movie was stunning, maybe I liked the cars, and some of the music / effects, and for some reason, even though many people tell me Nicholas Cage is terrible, I like him for no apparent reason.

|
|
|
|
post #6186 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Just picking with you. I do tend to set the bar high....which is not compatible with Hollywood. I need to let loose of it a bit more. I sometimes loosen up, and enjoy myself when I do.

Cage is a strange one for me. When he's good, I really, really enjoy him. But he has more "stinkers" than he should.

post #6187 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Not much for writing reviews, but every now and then you see a film that is different than most and deserves some comment.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is rated very highly (93% of both Critics and Audience liked it according to Rotten Tomatoes), so I was really looking forward to finally seeing this older (2004) movie, especially since I tend to like quirky movies. Quirky it was, with an abundance of odd ball romance, memory erasing, backwards time lines, and psychedelic special effects. Two hours later I was forced to concede that I am not among the majority who seemed so taken with this film. It always seemed to be on the verge of being really interesting, only to repeatedly swerve sharply back to "WTF?" land. Had I been drawn into the characters more I suppose it would have been a wild and refreshing roller coaster ride, but instead I was always aware that I was not interested in the characters and was mainly left wondering what crazy, convoluted mind trick was coming next. In short, it didn't work for me.

Some movies are best when shared with a loved one, some are best when shared with your buddies, and some - like this - would probably be best shared with lots of mind altering drugs.

2/5

post #6188 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Amazon puts the Drive Angry ratings:
5 star: 22
4 star: 18
3 star: 10
2 star: 10
1 star: 24
so it's a 'your mileage will vary' film.
My review

Watched Mesrine (Part 1): Killer Instinct (2010, 113 minutes)
Watched Mesrine (Part 2): Public Enemy #1 (2011, 134 minutes)
2.5/5 (amazon 4/5, imdb 7.5/10, rotten tomatoes 96% 83% respectively)
Originally in French, I watched it dubbed in english with english subtitles (it takes both to have a good translation).
Someone told me it was a The French Connection type of film, and while the plot and the acting aren't at that level, the camera work and direction had some similarities. Overall, not fantastic like the last half hour of Star Wars IV 1977, but you could easily do worse with your time. One of the better true crime stories done in a while. Both films have momentum that rarely slows down. Even in the finale, where you know what is going to happen, it wasn't obvious how or when it was going to happen as the pieces fell into place.

French criminal Jacque Mesrine, branded his country's Public Enemy No. 1 for his international exploits during the sixties and seventies, Mesrine's notoriety brought him a certain celebrity status. With murders, bank heists, kidnappings, and bold prison breaks--Mesrine embraced his lawlessness with a flair and flamboyance that have maintained his cult appeal even thirty years after his death.

The first movie is based upon Mesrine's own memoirs, making the plot a little haphazard, but perhaps a documentary with a bit of drama. The second movie is based more on the imaginings of a script writer against newspaper events and historical transcripts, making the drama more consistent and hollywoody and a more traditional movie to watch.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #6189 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
now waiting for my just released bd copy of 'it's a mad mad mad mad world' to get here by monday, i hope.

10' from 84" screen.

post #6190 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just picking with you.

No problem Tony, I remember seeing in some of your earlier posts that you're not a big fan of gratuitous nudity / sexuality in movies, and as I watched Drive Angry, I was thinking that you probably wouldn't be a big fan of it. I thought that aspect was a bit over the top too. But I was more disappointed that the cutest girl in the movie was the one who kept her clothes on.

I appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts on what they watched and what the liked / disliked about it - I won't always agree, but there are often titles that I hadn't seen before that I might like. And over time of course I'll learn who has similar taste or who may be more sensitive than I am to certain themes.

|
|
|
|
post #6191 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

No problem Tony, I remember seeing in some of your earlier posts that you're not a big fan of gratuitous nudity / sexuality in movies, and as I watched Drive Angry, I was thinking that you probably wouldn't be a big fan of it. I thought that aspect was a bit over the top too. But I was more disappointed that the cutest girl in the movie was the one who kept her clothes on.

I appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts on what they watched and what the liked / disliked about it - I won't always agree, but there are often titles that I hadn't seen before that I might like. And over time of course I'll learn who has similar taste or who may be more sensitive than I am to certain themes.

I think we can all agree that all of us have different tastes and things that we like in movies and things we don't.

This thread would be very boring if everyone had my exact tastes in movies. I come here to see what others are watching. Many here have similar tastes as I do, however those that don't I still enjoy reading their reviews and it often leads me to look into those movies as well, ones that I would not have even considered before hand. If I like it, so be it, if I don't well then no harm no foul.

I think that we all can agree that the mainstream Hollywood theme here lately is getting a bit old. The theme that if the explosions are bigger than the last ones, the CGI is just a bit better, and the plot just a little more out there then it will be a blockbuster. I for one like a popcorn flick like the next guy, but we need more than just that IMHO. Hollywood are you listening?

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #6192 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

+1

I told my wife a few nights ago that I was afraid I needed to turn in my man card because I was getting a little tired of super hero movies. I really enjoyed Inception because it was something different. Step out of the box a bit, and give me some variety every now and again (that last was directed at Hollywood, not my wife in case you were wondering).

I still like them, and I'm looking forward to seeing Thor (nope, haven't seen it yet). But then there's The Green Hornet, and the The Green Lantern, and the X-men movie. Just a little much for one summer I think. Something different would be appreciated.

post #6193 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

+1

I told my wife a few nights ago that I was afraid I needed to turn in my man card because I was getting a little tired of super hero movies. I really enjoyed Inception because it was something different. Step out of the box a bit, and give me some variety every now and again (that last was directed at Hollywood, not my wife in case you were wondering).

I still like them, and I'm looking forward to seeing Thor (nope, haven't seen it yet). But then there's The Green Hornet, and the The Green Lantern, and the X-men movie. Just a little much for one summer I think. Something different would be appreciated.

+2

However J_P_A I have a feeling we are at that age/ demographic and there are plenty of "youngsters" right behind us to fill our void. Case in point my wife asked me what I though about transformers 3. My reply was "perfect for a 14 yo boy".

Robert
post #6194 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't know if I can handle all this "tolerence" in one thread. I've become acoustomed to some of the other forums where people tell you what you hear and see.

Oh, and am I "the sensative one"? Anyone that knows me would laugh at that....

post #6195 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

+2

However J_P_A I have a feeling we are at that age/ demographic and there are plenty of "youngsters" right behind us to fill our void. Case in point my wife asked me what I though about transformers 3. My reply was "perfect for a 14 yo boy".

Robert

Did you hear that sound? That was the sound of a grown man's heart breaking. I haven't seen it yet, and I've got high hopes for it. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any aspirations for a deep plot, character development, and a deep plot. But I would like for an improvement over the 2nd installment.

post #6196 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But I would like for an improvement over the 2nd installment.

Hard to imagine the 3rd will be better than the 2nd - no Megan Fox running in slow motion.

I enjoy many of the comic book based movies - but its getting old I must admin, when I saw the trailer for Captain America I was thinking: "another???!!". Are there are Marvel comics left after this one? Have to be getting pretty close to the bottom of the barrel at this point. What's next "Snail Boy"? "Moderately intimidating girl?"

|
|
|
|
post #6197 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Transformers 1 is right at the top of my list for all time summer blockbusters. T2 was near the bottom....hope they reestablish the franchise.

post #6198 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Transformers 1 is right at the top of my list for all time summer blockbusters. T2 was near the bottom....hope they reestablish the franchise.

I agree that Transformers 1 was/is an all time favorite of mine. Brought all my toys to life for me. Transformers 2 was at first glance a disappointment for me, but having watched it a few more times I actually like it more than what I did at first.

Regarding superhero movies, I am actually looking forward to Captain America, the trailers look really good. The Green Hornet was a big let down, and the Green Lantern just looks hokey to me, my kids did not like Thor and they were not impressed with Super 8 (I have not seen either one). I'm looking to Transformers 3 (my son says it is the best yet so we will see) and the big one, the last installment of the Harry Potter series. THAT one should be fantastic!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #6199 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope the last HP movie is better than the last, to me the last one was a real snoozer.

I thought Green Hornet was terrible - the trailers for Thor and Green Lantern look pretty good, but you never know. Sometimes the trailer is the highlight, and the rest of the movie doesn't live up to it. Not sure what to expect from Super 8, the trailer didn't give me any real idea what it is. Cowboys vs. Aliens looks like fun, hope that doesn't disappoint. I enjoyed Transformers 2, although it was definitely light on plot compared to the first - but again, some of my enthusiasm could be that I'm just happy as hell to have a dedicated HT to watch movies in!

|
|
|
|
post #6200 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

now waiting for my just released bd copy of 'it's a mad mad mad mad world' to get here by monday, i hope.

Yep, fun film that "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963)"
I wish "Who's Minding the Mint (1967)" would appear on legal DVD.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #6201 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

I agree that Transformers 1 was/is an all time favorite of mine. Brought all my toys to life for me. Transformers 2 was at first glance a disappointment for me, but having watched it a few more times I actually like it more than what I did at first................
.......................and the big one, the last installment of the Harry Potter series. THAT one should be fantastic!

I agree. There's no question in my mind that T2 was not as good as the first, but I also never felt it was as bad as all the critics made out. The cartoons were cheezy, and so was the movie. That's part of the fun. But for some reason Transformers 2 felt too long. It didn't give me that giddy feeling I got from T1. I'd like to finish Transformers 3 and have that same feeling again. Hmmmm... Maybe I just need to drink more?

Also can't wait for HP. I really hope they don't screw up the ending. It should be EPIC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I hope the last HP movie is better than the last, to me the last one was a real snoozer.

I think to get the most out of these movies, you really need to have read the books. I suspect if I hand't read the books that the most recent movie would have been very boring.

post #6202 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We really liked Transformers 1 and walked away from T2 with an OK rating. Saw T3 at the local cinema last Friday. My opinion: T3 is much closer to T2 and way off the mark from T1.

Went into it with an empty mind, and even with the various Chicago scenes - I can only be generous enough to give T3 a 2.75 / 5.0. Better to rent first and maybe buy later..

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #6203 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

We really liked Transformers 1 and walked away from T2 with an OK rating. Saw T3 at the local cinema last Friday. My opinion: T3 is much closer to T2 and way off the mark from T1.

Went into it with an empty mind, and even with the various Chicago scenes - I can only be generous enough to give T3 a 2.75 / 5.0. Better to rent first and maybe buy later..

This my friend is not encouraging. Seeing how you and I rate movies pretty closely. I was hoping that T3 would swing back to more of T1's "feel". Might just have to sit this one out until it makes the rental circuit.

Any one here seen Cars 2? I heard it was getting mixed reviews, but I have not heard from anyone here or any of my friends/coworkers so pretty much in the dark.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #6204 of 7919 Old 07-07-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think to get the most out of these movies, you really need to have read the books. I suspect if I hand't read the books that the most recent movie would have been very boring.

I actually have read all the books - still didn't care of the last movie installment.

|
|
|
|
post #6205 of 7919 Old 07-08-2011, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched Lincoln Lawyer
3/5 (amazon 4.5 mostly high, imdb 7.4/10, rotten tomatoes 83%)
The way I remember the trailer, this is the story of an invincible defence attorney who's never lost a case that has a precondition "If you tell me the truth, and all of the truth, I'll get you off. Lie to me and I'll drop you and you'll go to jail" and he gets a client that lies to him that he can't drop and his career is in jeapordy and some of his other clients get screwed as he runs out of time to serve them as well ruining his entire life as well as theirs.
But that's not what happens.
It's a different story, but still a story.

No CGI.
Not a single fire breathing dragon.
Not a problem.
It has William H. Macy in a bit part -- which as I've mentioned in an earlier post, is all you need to kick any otherwise average film up a notch or two.

The ending reminded me of the Firefly quote "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."

When it was over I was trying to remember if it was suitable for some of my elderly relatives. I checked it out at
hxxp://www.movieguide.org/reviews/movie/lincoln-lawyer.html
and I remember the violence, but I don't remember the foul language.
Marisa Tomei has a little sex scene, but I skipped over it at speed 10x as it's pointless and shouldn't have been in the film.

Quote:

Smooth operator Mickey Haller (Matthew McConaughey) zips around Los Angeles in his chauffeured Lincoln town car, cutting deals and finding clients on the road. Then he lands a doozy: a rich real-estate heir (Ryan Phillippe) accused of the brutal assault of an escort. At first, the case looks like a breeze, but odd details start nagging at Haller until he recognizes an ugly connection to an earlier case--and realizes he's been set up in the strangest way. There are some deep implausibilities in The Lincoln Lawyer, but they hardly matter. This is a movie that cruises on charm and smart casting, from McConaughey as a man whose glib polish is betrayed by a streak of doubt, down to the detectives (solid performances from Bryan Cranston, Michael Paré, Michaela Conlin, and others) and lowlifes (Katherine Moennig as an unlucky hooker, Shea Whigham as a lazy snitch) that flesh out the legal world. Every character pops out, clean and distinct; this sort of web-of-deceit story line, full of twists and turns, depends on the audience clearly connecting all the players. Some moments get overstated or maybe don't make complete sense, but the zippy pace carries the audience over those bumps. The Lincoln Lawyer could easily turn into a television series, a sort of Rockford Files-esque mixture of procedure and puzzle making. Also starring Marisa Tomei, William H. Macy, Frances Fisher, John Leguizamo, and Josh Lucas

post #6206 of 7919 Old 07-08-2011, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I hadn't been to the theater in years, but went last week for Cars2. My boys grew up on the first one, so I had no choice but to go. The first one is ingrained in my heart. It is tied in some way to most memories I have over the last six years. Lightning McQueen came along with us in my boys pockets for every grocery trip and vacation that I can remember. The characters were a part of the family. Now, here comes that high bar...but , you can see, it's justified.

This one fell flat for me in many respects. The story was complete in the first one. This felt like a "written for tv" script thats purpose was no deeper than to support a toy sales campaign. It literally felt like they were showing characters by the dozen if only for a split second, so that the toy isle at Walmart would be jam packed with product. I could go on and on, but will stop here. My kids were infected by the first, and haven't talked about Cars2 a single time since. That says it all.

On a positive but different note, this was my first chance in years to evaluate audio and video of a large commercial theater against my own. I was shocked by the CRAP presentation on every level. It made me extremely proud of my own room, as it was no contest at all. It really did give me a revived appreciation for what I've accomplished.

Wild Target- This one follows in the footsteps of the querky comedy movies such as "Hot Fuzz". Bill Nehey and Emily Blunt. If you like the genre, you'll enjoy this one. Not as clever as HF, but managed to have me laughing and interested. 3 of 5

post #6207 of 7919 Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Tony,

Quote:

snip....... My kids were infected by the first, and haven't talked about Cars2 a single time since. That says it all.snip.....

Ah, I was afraid of exactly this. Pixar has such a rep for great animation, stories, and sequels (Toy Story trilogy) that I too was setting the bar very high. This will be a rent and see vs. a blind buy for sure.

I'm with you on the commercial theaters as well. I think that two things have happened. One because I have a mini theater with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray,my own little surround sound system, and a plasma TV I have become a far more critical viewer/listener. Two, I have become far less tolerant of the "movie theater experience" sticky floors, people moving around, noise, and other distractions. The only thing I do still enjoy is a theater packed with actual movie lovers that "get into" a film and react to the action. Ohhh and ahhs and such, that is still fun to experience, but I can leave the rest for sure.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #6208 of 7919 Old 07-08-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Tony,
Thanks for the Cars2 comments - you have definitely save me the cost of a blind buy!
Maybe if I am really bored this winter I'll redbox it...

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #6209 of 7919 Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

RT, you're right, it's hard to capture the excitement of an involved audience. Every other month or so, we'll have 15-20 people in our room for a movie, and it does add a new dimension.

Don't misunderstand my Cars2 comments. It was still worth a watch, and not just because you're bored. But rental would be my choice.

This is the first time that Pixar has let me down. It didn't have the carefully crafted feel that any other Pixar has.

post #6210 of 7919 Old 07-08-2011, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My wife and I watched Tuck Everlasting last night. We found it to be a very enjoyable journey. Beautiful scenery that really popped on the big screen. Depth to the story that made one think about life purpose and longevity. It made for a nice evening.

DVR off of Starz was the source

Home Theater is GREAT
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Spy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page