Now Showing - What We Watched - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 7919 Old 03-01-2004, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Friday night........After going to every video store in town searching for The Missing and Matchstick Men, we finally "settled" on Radio! What an amazing movie. We had always planned on seeing this one in the theaters, but always thought of something we thought we would like better. Now we both agree that we have to have it for the collection.

Saturday Night.......still searching for The Missing and Matchstick Men, we were at the last video store in town, and had Under the Tuscan Sun and House of the Dead. As we were checking out, the guy behind the counter strongly advised us against The House of the Dead. Now, being extremely disappointed and frustrated because we can't find the two movies we REALLY WANT, then being told that one of the choices we made we shouldn't waste our money on, we just wanted to get in the car, get up to highway speed, then push each other out. I went back to the shelves, in search of SOMETHING good to watch, when my g/f decided that me asking if either one of those movies had been turned in wasn't enough. She had to ASK AGAIN.......and boy am I glad that she did! Between the time that we came in and that moment, someone had turned in Matchstick Men!! This was a good movie, we both enjoyed it, but I think the frustration and determination of finding it has us all worked up, so even if it had been the best movie ever, we still would have had some sort of let down.

Girlfriends note......Johnny fell asleep within 20 minutes of us watching Under the Tuscan Sun, but I thought it was a good movie. One part of the movie that I didn't quite get, and maybe I am trying to make more out of it than was meant to be, but what is with the water spigot coming out of the middle of the wall? All I have to say is, if we don't find The Missing REAL soon, I'm just gonna go buy it so the agony will be over.....although now it is like a challenge, so buying it would be like cheating or giving up, and that's no fun!

On The 8th Day, God Created Home Theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 7919 Old 03-01-2004, 08:53 AM

Liked: 10
Friday night was Once Upon a Time in Mexico. I thought it was a pretty decent movie. Nothing spectacular. Lots of guns and explosions to keep it interesting.

Saturday I watched The Patriot. I haven't seen this movie in a while and wanted to see it on the PJ. Great movie all around aside from it being somewhat formulaic.

I'm still waiting for Netflix to send me Open Range and the Missing. It's starting to get irritating actually.

My kids watched Lion King 1 1/2 again! It's amazing how many times they can watch the same thing....wait, how many times have I seen Star Wars?

later,

Don
post #633 of 7919 Old 03-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Snatch
Didn't know anything about this movie going into it, turned out to be a gem.

In a constant state of perpetual upgrading.
post #634 of 7919 Old 03-01-2004, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

This Weekend was "Terminator 3" and "Radioland Murders". Both were very enjoyable movies.

Don
post #635 of 7919 Old 03-01-2004, 02:26 PM

We have been out of town for about a week visiting my daughter and our newest grandchild! Born 28FEB04 9.37 lbs, 21 inches...Noah has the same birthdate as his older brother Colin (2 years old).

We did manage to pick ups few DVD's for our return:

Matchstick Men
The Missing

we will pick up School of Rock tomorrow.

Regards,

Daniel

Bishop Cineplex
With 3 kids, 10 grandkids, 6 dogs and 19 guinea pigs...whats a fella to do?
post #636 of 7919 Old 03-01-2004, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jw_Wood
Snatch
Didn't know anything about this movie going into it, turned out to be a gem.

A gem indeed. I loved this movie!

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #637 of 7919 Old 03-02-2004, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Tonight Cheryl and I watched "School of Rock". A little slow in the beginning... but things pick up and the movie is a fun ride and a rockin' good time. What truly makes the movie enjoyable, aside from Jack Black's zanny rendition of AC/DC's classic "Long way to the top" is that all these kids are truly talented musicians. No lipsync'ing and air guitar acting here, these kids are the real deal. Great for kids and adults alike... the film scores a PG13 rating for "drug references and some adult language"...but I have seen and heard far worse on prime time television.

I give it a Thumbs up... or better yet... a rock and roll fist!

Thanks for reading!

Darren Mortensen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #638 of 7919 Old 03-02-2004, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by I'mListening
Tonight Cheryl and I watched "School of Rock...Great for kids and adults alike

I give it a Thumbs up... or better yet... a rock and roll fist!

I agree. We went with the family while on vacation together in the fall and we all loved it. Really infectious, and it's a movie that really knows and loves r&r.

Tonight we watched the superbit version of Vertical Limit. Holy CANOLLI!!! I believe the picture quality was the finest I've seen in my home from a live-action standard DVD film. I've noticed the 3-D effect on many CG animated titles before, but this is the first time I've seen a convincing 3-d effect on a live-action movie--there were shots that gave me vertigo. I was also stunned by the incredible textures and skin detail. Not just on a couple of close-ups, but throughout. In just about every scene, regardless of how far the camera is pulled back, you can make out great facial-detail. Absolutely beautiful. The movie itself was also better than I expected, probably because I've heard so many bad things about it.

Overall, just a great surprise. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if it's the transfer quality, an increased bit-rate, or what. But it's a hell of a great looking DVD. It has convinced me that I need to pick up the SB version of "Starship Troopers."
post #639 of 7919 Old 03-03-2004, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Last Night - Cold Creek Manor

I was disappointed. This could have been a really good movie. Some of the interesting things that are touched upon are never explained or detailed. Big plot holes. It was enjoyable to watch just for fun, but the wasted potential of the film really bothered me.

Regards,
David

post #640 of 7919 Old 03-05-2004, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
On Tuesday I got a rare chance at home during the day (leaving on a trip to the UK - which is why I'm posting this late). I watched "Big Night" - still love that movie.

Randy

Check out a video of my 

post #641 of 7919 Old 03-06-2004, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

We watched "102 Dalmatians" tonight. This movie was a big disappointment and comes nowhere close to the first movie. Even Glenn Close's performance was nowhere near what it was in the first movie.

Don
post #642 of 7919 Old 03-06-2004, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
well tonite we watched PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN and i must say it wasn't bad at all...very enjoyable and a very aggressive sound track...i thought it might be a little scary for my 7 yr old but he loved it..the part he saw anyway..too tired to ake it all the way thru.

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #643 of 7919 Old 03-07-2004, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Picked up a few new laser disc's off ebay. Watched Air Force One and Waterwold. Tonight is the season premier of the Sopranos.

looking for another set of HD-134 lenses. Send me a PM!
post #644 of 7919 Old 03-07-2004, 05:02 AM

Watched Runaway Jury last night.

We enjoyed the movie and I liked all of Gene Hackman's machinations.

Daniel

Bishop Cineplex
With 3 kids, 10 grandkids, 6 dogs and 19 guinea pigs...whats a fella to do?
post #645 of 7919 Old 03-07-2004, 07:49 AM

Saturday afternoon - Watched "The Core" for some kill some brain cells fun. It was better than I expected but 100% unbelievable.

Saturday night - We watched "School Of Rock". Pretty decent, not quite as good as I think Jack Black can be. Good soundtrack and pretty funny.

Last weekend - "The Missing" - Good flick, had no idea it was Ron Howard until I saw his brother playing the sheriff and then sure enough the credits had Ron directing.
post #646 of 7919 Old 03-07-2004, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

last couple of days:

a few episodes from Starsky & Hutch.
never had much nostalgia for this show, so just on its own merits, its pretty thin stuff.
good chemistry from the leads, but i won't be keeping this one long.

Dawn of The Dead
new AB disc is superb and film is still a whole lot of fun.
been waiting a long time for this and it was worth the wait.

Shadow Of A Doubt
not a big fan of Hitchcock, but i do like some of his early American B&Ws, and i LOVE SOAD.
one of my favorite films of all time, probably.
i bought this disc the moment it streeted about 3 yrs ago, and this is the first i've gotten around to watching it.
i was waiting for the 'right' time and i finally found it

Calamity Jane
amiable, slightly gender-bending Doris Day musical.
pleasant way to kill a rainy afternoon.
post #647 of 7919 Old 03-08-2004, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

last night watched ALIAS and THE PRACTICE in HI-DEF on my fusion II and it ruled!!!!was awesome!!

brickie

post #648 of 7919 Old 03-08-2004, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

While I was out of town, my wife and the girls watched, "Down With Love".

Dodged that bullet!

Randy

Check out a video of my 

post #649 of 7919 Old 03-08-2004, 07:11 AM

Watched Dante's Peak last night. We hadn't seen this movie in a couple of years, and were surprised at how good the sound was; nice bass effects. The surrounds weren't used as much as some other movies, but they added a nice presence to the soundstage. And the movie itself was enjoyable; much better (IMO) that the other volcano movie that came out the same time - Tommy Lee Jones's Volcano.

"So why don't you put her in charge?" - Hudson
post #650 of 7919 Old 03-08-2004, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Hadn't been able to relax and watch anything in the theater for a while but finally got to watch something. I chose "The Missing" since many of you seemed to like it. Maybe I expected too much but I was somewhat dissappointed. Very predictable movie and kindof cliche in exploring a forgotten father/daugther relationship. After seeing that it was a Ron Howard movie I was especially dissappointed since I expected more from him. Oh well, this movie is not what you might be expecting.
post #651 of 7919 Old 03-08-2004, 08:53 AM

Saturday we had some friends over. I moved all my gear into the living room as our dedicated room is just too small. (Won't be doing that again anytime soon!)

We watched School of Rock and Matchstick Men.

School of Rock was pretty decent. Being a teacher I really had to suspend my disbelief as this guy would have been found out before first recess. And the whole stuffy teacher conversations in the staff room were very unauthentic. I thought the soundtrack was excellent, but my subwoofer didn't get much of a work out.

Matchstick Men: We all seemed to like it despite figuring it out pretty early-on. My subwoofer really liked this movie!

I am almost caught up with Alias and should be able to watch it in HD this weekend as my $99 Directv HD receiver gets installed Saturday!!!!

Later,

Don
post #652 of 7919 Old 03-08-2004, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Had 5 of my neighborhood buds over on Saturday night. I let them pick the movie (never gonna get in the middle of that again like last time ) and they chose "Blackhawk Down".

Just as good as the first few times I've seen it. Plus, one of my buds has never seen the theater before so it was cool to see him enjoy it so much.

Last night I sat down to watch "The Italian Job". Ehhh... take it or leave it. I was hoping for more character development/motivation aside from the standard arrive-for-the-meeting-introductions.

Cheers!

- Ed.

"Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: Lick it once and you suck forever" - Anonymous
post #653 of 7919 Old 03-08-2004, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Omen
Watched Dante's Peak last night. We hadn't seen this movie in a couple of years, and were surprised at how good the sound was; nice bass effects. The surrounds weren't used as much as some other movies, but they added a nice presence to the soundstage. And the movie itself was enjoyable; much better (IMO) that the other volcano movie that came out the same time - Tommy Lee Jones's Volcano.

should be called hot lava intstead..there is no volcano in that movie that i can remember..it is bad!!

brickie

post #654 of 7919 Old 03-08-2004, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

just watched JAY LENO in HD via my fusion and all i can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! best image iv'e ever seen my 1031 throw!!!!i'd say even better than WMV9....that impressive!!

brickie

post #655 of 7919 Old 03-09-2004, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Just finished watching "Daredevil", which was a pretty enjoyable movie . It looked like at the end, as they do with most superhero movies, that they left it open for the possibility of a sequel. I for one would enjoy seeing a sequel done. I am not a big Ben Affleck fan, but I thought he pulled this part off real well. However with him being one of the most sought after actors today, I wonder if he would even be willing to do a sequel, or if they would have to get someone else, which may or may not be as good in the part as what Affleck was.

BTW, The movie had a great transfer and some excellent surround sound.

Don
post #656 of 7919 Old 03-09-2004, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

that's what got me to DON, the surround sound use..scene when a young mudoch wakes up in hospital is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

brickie

post #657 of 7919 Old 03-09-2004, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CptnRandy
On Tuesday I got a rare chance at home during the day (leaving on a trip to the UK - which is why I'm posting this late). I watched "Big Night" - still love that movie.
Randy

That's because you have that Stanley Tucci thing goin'.

~Markito
post #658 of 7919 Old 03-09-2004, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brickie
just watched JAY LENO in HD via my fusion and all i can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! best image iv'e ever seen my 1031 throw!!!!i'd say even better than WMV9....that impressive!!
brickie

Yeah Brickie, I still am amazed everytime I see the Leno show in HD.
The most amazing depth and richest colors we'll ever see.

~Markito
post #659 of 7919 Old 03-09-2004, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Apparently, over the weekend my significant other saw parts of "Meet Joe Black" on TV, and she wanted to see the whole thing. God help me, but I own the Ultimate edition because it has "Death Takes a Holiday" (an infinitely better film) on the second disc. So Sunday night we spent a punishing three hours "meeting" Joe Black. She loved it. I hated it. And unfortunately it's not the first time I've seen it. We both were crying at the end; I don't know why she was crying, but I was because I couldn't believe I've actually spent six hours of my life watching "Meet Joe Black." Imagine--one quarter of a full day.

If you haven't seen it, avoid it at all costs. I'm not kidding you. It makes "The English Patient" seem action-PACKED.

However, with march madness starting soon, I will leverage the experience to watch much basketball. I figure that three hours enduring "Meet Joe Black" is worth about 20 hours of college basketball viewing. And that's a conservative estimate.
post #660 of 7919 Old 03-09-2004, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Markito
That's because you have that Stanley Tucci thing goin'.

Not exactly my type, but boy can he cook!

Randy

Check out a video of my 

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Spy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page