post #6721 of 7915 Old 03-11-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

Watched 'Driver' with Ryan Gosling. Had heard good things about this movie and wasn't disappointed, although it was not as I had expected. Had expectations of another chapter of Fast and the Furious but this was exactly the opposite. A slow burning, brooding film in which Goslings character really says very little. There was a romantic interest that never really went anywhere and some violence that was so sudden and graphic that I had to look away on a couple of occasions. no, I'm not a prude but seeing and hearing someone being stomped to death was confronting. Great supporting roles from Ron Perlman and Albert Brooks make this movie an interesting experience. I enjoyed it but not in a hurry to see it again just now. 7.5/10

Hey...sounds like we finally agree on something!

I also agree with that last assessment of Hugo. It oozed artistic talent, but put the whole house to sleep in the process.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6722 of 7915 Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I went on a bit of a movie watching spree yesterday.

John Carter - 4/5

This was the first time I've been to the theaters in a long time, and I really enjoyed myself. This movie is not what I was expecting, but a fun ride nonetheless. I thought I would see a big budget, action movie like Michael Bay would put together. But this movie is clearly intended to be driven by the plot (that's a change these days ). It is obvious that the movie struggles to condense the book to 2 hours at times. I think the key to this movie is to go in with an open mind. I very nearly changed my rating to a 3 after reading other reviews. But I remembered that I did enjoy the film, and while most of the negative comments you'll find are accurate, I didn't notice those things until they were pointed out.

Hugo - 2/5

This is not my type of movie. When I watch a movie, I like to escape from the problems of the "real world." So I'm not usually overly impressed with dramas. That being said, this was a beautiful movie to watch, and most of the characters were well done. There were others, however, that just didn't seem to fit. It was almost jarring the differences in some of the characters as half of them seem to belong in this film and the other half almost belong in a slapstick comedy. This is a good film if it's your sort of thing, but for me it was just a beautiful, not-quite mediocre, experience.

How to Train Your Dragon - 4/5

This was a fun movie. I like animated films, so I'm a bit biased

Cowboys & Aliens - 3/5

This type of movie is right down my alley. Grab the popcorn, turn off the brain, and watch the pretty pictures. Unfortunately, with this type movie it's hard to have your cake and eat it to as the character development was a little thin. So don't go in expecting too much and you might just have a good time. I was a bit annoyed by the stern expression Daniel Craig used for most of the movie because he looked like he was sucking on a grape. As a side note, there was a lot more alien blood and guts than I was prepared for. Not recommended for the kids.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #6723 of 7915 Old 03-11-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

How to Train Your Dragon - 4/5

This was a fun movie. I like animated films, so I'm a bit biased

J_P_A

I can't remember what you are using for your "system" to watch movies on as your house is under construction, but I can assure you that when you get to watch this movie, especially the "queen dragon" climax you will have a new appreciation for the movie. Very impressive LFE and surround sound mixing. I have made this film one of my personal "reference disc" selections as a go to source to enjoy the talents of my yet "not quite complete" theater.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #6724 of 7915 Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

John Carter - 4/5

This was the first time I've been to the theaters in a long time, and I really enjoyed myself. This movie is not what I was expecting, but a fun ride nonetheless. I thought I would see a big budget, action movie like Michael Bay would put together. But this movie is clearly intended to be driven by the plot (that's a change these days ). It is obvious that the movie struggles to condense the book to 2 hours at times. I think the key to this movie is to go in with an open mind. I very nearly changed my rating to a 3 after reading other reviews. But I remembered that I did enjoy the film, and while most of the negative comments you'll find are accurate, I didn't notice those things until they were pointed out.

Cowboys & Aliens - 3/5

This type of movie is right down my alley. Grab the popcorn, turn off the brain, and watch the pretty pictures. Unfortunately, with this type movie it's hard to have your cake and eat it to as the character development was a little thin. So don't go in expecting too much and you might just have a good time. I was a bit annoyed by the stern expression Daniel Craig used for most of the movie because he looked like he was sucking on a grape. As a side note, there was a lot more alien blood and guts than I was prepared for. Not recommended for the kids.

Saw John Carter Friday in Real3D, loved it... I ignore the critics and I think this is the first time I've been to a theater since Avatar at the Orleans in Vegas... 4.6 out of 5 from me, I'll pre-order when available and can't wait to watch again.

Cowboys and Aliens has parallels with John Carter, loved it also.
post #6725 of 7915 Old 03-11-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

J_P_A

I can't remember what you are using for your "system" to watch movies on as your house is under construction, but I can assure you that when you get to watch this movie, especially the "queen dragon" climax you will have a new appreciation for the movie. Very impressive LFE and surround sound mixing. I have made this film one of my personal "reference disc" selections as a go to source to enjoy the talents of my yet "not quite complete" theater.

Regards,

RTROSE

If I had to think of one word to describe my system, it would be "none." All of my stuff is in storage, so I'm just watching movies on a 42" flat screen for now. But I've read on several threads that HTTYD has some serious LFE. I'm really looking forward to getting to watch some of these movies with surround sound at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post

Saw John Carter Friday in Real3D, loved it... I ignore the critics and I think this is the first time I've been to a theater since Avatar at the Orleans in Vegas... 4.6 out of 5 from me, I'll pre-order when available and can't wait to watch again.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that liked it! I don't generally agree with movie critics, but some of the negative reviews had me thinking. I'm also looking forward to this one coming out on BR. I really like the epic sci-fi adventure flicks. So this one will definitely go in the collection.

post #6726 of 7915 Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Rented and watched Hugo Saturday night.
Good News / Bad news story for us.

First the Bad News:
Sunday AM my family said it was bad enough that we lost an hour due to setting our clocks ahead. Then they said It was really terrible that you had us waste an additional 2.5 hours of our lives with this BORING movie.

And, the good News:
I rented it and did NOT buy it.

I'm afraid this was a movie with so much Academy Award hype >> that our expectations were just too high. I will say that there were some moments of excellent surround sound, some catchy music, and pleasing PQ. HOWEVER 2.5 ours about a young man's life in/around a train station did indeed put me to sleep. For me; I'll be generous and simply say a 2.0/5.0

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #6727 of 7915 Old 03-12-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Glad we went with Kung-Fu Panda 2 over Hugo for family movie night last friday based on the last few reviews.
post #6728 of 7915 Old 03-13-2012, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Watched HUGO 3D tonight and I must say that I really enjoyed this one. Having studied some film in the past, I really appreciated the history and charm of this movie. From a presentation point of view, this was some of the finest use of 3d the medium has seen so far. Really well executed, without being in your face and without all of the novelty pop-outs. I can see how some people would find the pace way to slow but I guess it depends what you are looking for. This is most definitely not a popcorn flick, but I found it a truly refreshing change to some of the other movies out there.... 2.5 hours of flm without swearing, crime, guns, knives, gangsters, violence or a drop of blood. The character of Hugo was played perfectly by the young boy and Ben Kingsley is in his best form since Gandhi way back when. Even Sacha Baron Cohen, who plays the railway inspector, is really well cast in one of his first serious roles. I found so many dimensions in this film, and while it does tell the story of a boy's life living in a station, there are a plethora of stories intertwined, set amongst the backdrop of the early moving pictures. This would be one of the most enjoyable movies I have seen in a long time. 9.5/10 from me.

Follow my thread here
post #6729 of 7915 Old 03-13-2012, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe my problem was that I wasn't looking for a "plethora of intertwining dimensions"? I was looking for entertainment! LOL

Just ribbing ya Aussie! Good review, and I agree with it despite my lower rating. Maybe my beef was with the expectations that the trailers gave? I was led to believe it was a good movie for kids and thus had a room full of 7 year old Cub Scouts over for it. If, however, it had been just my wife and I on a quiet evening, my score would have been higher. Not 9.5, but higher.

Construction Thread
post #6730 of 7915 Old 03-13-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Maybe my problem was that I wasn't looking for a "plethora of intertwining dimensions"? I was looking for entertainment! LOL

Just ribbing ya Aussie! Good review, and I agree with it despite my lower rating. Maybe my beef was with the expectations that the trailers gave? I was led to believe it was a good movie for kids and thus had a room full of 7 year old Cub Scouts over for it. If, however, it had been just my wife and I on a quiet evening, my score would have been higher. Not 9.5, but higher.

Hey there Tony,
Thanks for the elbow in the ribs! I think you nailed it. The trailer for Hugo was hardly representative of the movie itself. And what looked, outwardly anyway, to be a movie suitable for kids is really anything but. They would probably be bored stiff. This is a movie I will watch again in the next few weeks just to revisit and pick up what I missed the first time around. I think few movies can live up to the hype that the Oscars generate and this can leave people disappointed.

Follow my thread here
post #6731 of 7915 Old 03-13-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched Justice League - Doom. I actually bought this title on Amazon after my son saw the shorts on another program and he loves super heroes (what 4yo doesn't?) anyway, thought that I had better watch it first before putting it on and glad I did. Firstly, it's a PG rating with good reason. This one won't be watched for some time. As far as comics go, there is a considerable amount of violence, gun use and some scary images that may upset younger kids. No problem for older kids but the rating is fair enough. What did surprise me, however, was the quality of the production, particularly the audio. There is some amazing bass on this disc and I could hardly wipe the smile off my face. Recommended for cartoon enthusiasts who enjoy deep bass.

Follow my thread here
post #6732 of 7915 Old 03-13-2012, 06:40 AM

Liked: 13
Currently watching Game of Thrones. Not a lot of bass but great use of surround sound in the series, especially for things like background noise and such. Reminds me a lot of Lord of the rings just without the mythical creators and a lot more violence in it.

Because great sound fills the room, shakes the house, breaks hearts, stirs souls, and always will
post #6733 of 7915 Old 03-13-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard8873 View Post

Currently watching Game of Thrones. Not a lot of bass but great use of surround sound in the series, especially for things like background noise and such. Reminds me a lot of Lord of the rings just without the mythical creators and a lot more violence in it.

This will be on one of the HBO's this weekend for those with dvr's...
post #6734 of 7915 Old 03-14-2012, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched the recently released Blu Ray of Star Wars - A New Hope. Despite what all the purists say about the changes Lucas made to this version, I really liked it. First saw this movie on a wet afternoon when I was 7 and it still has a magic about it. Sure, the SFX are cheesy now, as is most of the dialog. It's little more than cowboys and Indians set in space but it still holds firm as a great movie and well ahead of its time. Even on my large screen, the image was remarkably sharp and the DTS MA soundtrack is fantastic. It may not be the purest version of Star Wars that I have seen but it's arguably the best. If you own a projector, it's definitely worth buying the Bluray versions.

Follow my thread here
post #6735 of 7915 Old 03-14-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with you on SW. Wait until you get to Ep I-III. They really are stunning. I really didn't mind GL's tweaking at all.

"Young Adult"- with Charlize Theron. Not sure what to say... first, don't be fooled by the trailer, it's NOT a comedy. It's sort of a "Mean Girls" meets "Fatal Attraction". Always on the edge of being uncomfortable. Still, for some reason, I give it a 3/5.

Construction Thread
post #6736 of 7915 Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Not a movie, but picked up Styx - Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight BD yesterday, watched Grand Illusion last night... excellent performance. 5/5
post #6737 of 7915 Old 03-14-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Any comments on the technical quality of the audio/video? I'd love to have this one if it was of high quality. The reviews on Amazon are very positive.

Construction Thread
post #6738 of 7915 Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Any comments on the technical quality of the audio/video? I'd love to have this one if it was of high quality. The reviews on Amazon are very positive.

Watched on my 110" in the bt with the dts MA sound, there were a couple of sound drop outs, but I had ripped the disc to a EHDD to watch with my popcorn hour, price was decent at Hastings (under $20) PQ and AQ great imho... I'll have to check the disc out to make sure it was not the problem.
post #6739 of 7915 Old 03-14-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Let me put it this way, if you have Styx - The One With Everything, this is just as good or better minus the Orchestra...
post #6740 of 7915 Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The Tunnel - (2001, Foreign Movie, German subtitle in 5.1 DTS). This a true story based on the escape of the top German swimmer from East Berlin during the building of Berlin Wall in the late 50s early 60s. Terrific acting and story line at almost 3 hours long. We planned to pause it halfway through for dinner, but were too engrossed and ended up watching to the end. (4/5)
post #6741 of 7915 Old 03-14-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
(I debated posting this in some other AVS forum, but this is as good as any)

In "An Evening with Kevin Smith" (2002, or one of the subsequent sequels), one of the things he mentions is that no one makes any money showing films in theatres any more. All the money is in DVDs.

Well, now Blockbuster and other DVD rental outlets are all gone. All the dedicated DVD shops, that sell rather than rent, are gone or soon to be gone.

The primary complaint is that no one buys movies, because they're available for download. Either from Netflix like places, or on cable pay-per-view -- in either case for a couple dollars rather than $20 to $30 per DVD/BluRay. Amazon and WalMart still sell them.

So, do you think your home theatre's will have to be rethought around computer downloads, and DVD/BluRay players are soon to be a thing of the past, and every time you watch a movie you're going to pay for it, and only watch things someone else decides to put into a mass consumer library?

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #6742 of 7915 Old 03-14-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix certainly thinks that physical media is on the way out. They tried to spin off their DVD unit, but changed their mind after the monumental public outcry. However, Redbox is doing a booming business. They're opening Kiosks all over the place.

But I do think we're seeing the last evolution of physical media. Sooner than later if the movie companies can figure out how to get their "fair" cut of profits. You can already "buy" movies from iTunes, so it's just a matter of time that DVD's and BluRays go the way of the CD. I just hope I'll still be able to buy an uncompressed version of the movies I want.

post #6743 of 7915 Old 03-14-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Netflix certainly thinks that physical media is on the way out.

Cloud/UltraViolet only for a few years.
2500 BluRay @ 25GB per movie is 75TB.
But in 5 years? You might be able to haul 75TB in your back pocket.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #6744 of 7915 Old 03-15-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post

Cloud/UltraViolet only for a few years.
2500 BluRay @ 25GB per movie is 75TB.
But in 5 years? You might be able to haul 75TB in your back pocket.

That type storage is already within reach. My lowly little media server could support up to 60 TB if I had all the drives in it. My real concern is that we will either

A) not be able to actually purchase the movie, or
B) it will be compressed to the point that the image and sound quality are degraded.

Looks like a 2 hour HD movie is about 4.5 GB in iTunes. That's getting pretty reasonable considering the cost of a GB of storage space can be around $0.05. That's way cheaper than buying the disc! With that said, I'd hate to think I had to rely on iTunes for managing my movie library

post #6745 of 7915 Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I will be moving to a media server soon, but I hope I always have the option for the physical media. Something about walking up to a shelf and browsing that is a necessary part of the experience. The feeling of ownership doesn't seem to exist in the digital world. Not for me anyhow.

Footloose- the new one. For me, no better or worse than the original. The original was "okay", and so was this one. Didn't appreciate the need for the update.

Tomorrow night we have a house full for "The Adventures of TinTin". Hope it lives up to the trailer.

Construction Thread
post #6746 of 7915 Old 03-15-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Kill Bill volume one last night. This is a movie I have not revisited for some time. It's held up really well. Audio and picture quality are awesome... This is a really good bluray transfer and well worth the purchase.... Although helps if you're a Tarantino fan. The low frequencies abound in this title. The violence is explicit and unrelenting yet it's done in such a stylized way that it actually added to the movie. If you enjoy martial arts films, then you'll love this one. But it's much more than a martial arts blood fest. Tarantino movies are beautifully written. The dialog is amazing. Later movies such as Inglorious Basterds show that he is only improving with age. Tarantino has the ability to build suspense through words. Really enjoyed this one. It's still pretty cheap on Amazon. 3.8/5

Follow my thread here
post #6747 of 7915 Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Styx -- Pieces of Eight, 4/5 (I liked Grand Illusion Better )impressive performance, good extras...
post #6748 of 7915 Old 03-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Just a note...we watched Hugo last weekend with my 13 yr old daughter and 10 yr old son (who can't sit still to save his life)...we all loved this movie and would watch it again. That's saying something because my wife rarely LOVES any movie that is not some sort of romantic comedy. Yes it was slow, but it was a beautiful picture with a great story and charming characters. Solid 4/5 from me.

post #6749 of 7915 Old 03-17-2012, 08:10 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard8873 View Post

Currently watching Game of Thrones. Not a lot of bass but great use of surround sound in the series, especially for things like background noise and such. Reminds me a lot of Lord of the rings just without the mythical creators and a lot more violence and T&A in it.

Fixed..
post #6750 of 7915 Old 03-17-2012, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Adventures of Tin Tin - Really nice adventure film. Picture was great and the audio was incredible. Wish I had a dedicated HT with 7.1, but unfortunately do not. Even in my 5.1 setup the surrounds are lively and the musical score was incredible. A fun film for the whole family to watch together. A solid 4/5.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Spy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page