Forum Jump: 

post #6811 of 7926 Old 04-14-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Watched We Bought a Zoo (2011)
2.9/5 (amazon 4/5, imdb 7.2, rotten tomatoes 79%, decentfilms.com N/R)
A nice predictable piece, based on a true story.
A pleasant film, easily paused and easily returned to.

The animals are cute. The lion's roar certainly excited my subwoofers.

When Scarlett Johansson appeared I thought: "Oh, that's Scarlett Johansson." I've liked her since I first saw her in "The Island (2005)". This being Hollywood, they probably applied makeup to make her look like she wasn't wearing makup.
Thomas Haden Church, the mechanic in 1990's television series Wings, makes an appearance. And Matt Damon, the man who was born to play Jason Borne, age 42, still has his hair -- as pointed out by the women in the film, or writer/director Cameron Crowe take your pick.

Some people complain about the curse words, but I don't remember any.
The Easter Bunny was a good laugh - but possibly not for children.
A bit of a platonic romance amongst the 12-year-olds, might be a bit on the young side for parents with pre-teens.
And at 1 hour and 51 minutes we have a wheelchair access scene.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6812 of 7926 Old 04-14-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched War Horse (2011)
2.8/5 (amazon 3.7/5, imdb 7.2, rotten tomatoes 74%, Decent Films B+)
Not too bad. A little dull. Not a lot of depth to the characters.
Not so much a plot as 3 interlinked stories, following the horse around.
The horse has a character, so that will attract some viewers.
The barb wire scene was interesting, particularly when they got the wire cutters.
The ending red sunset silhouetted characters reminded me of corresponding shots from some older films like Gone With The Wind.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #6813 of 7926 Old 04-15-2012, 03:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Watched The Double last night. I knew Richard Gere was good but I didn't know he had this kind of performance in him. Very impressed - even if the story line was a little far fetched.
post #6814 of 7926 Old 04-15-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The Art of Flight - BR Blind buy - This came as a recommendation from another forum member (thanks jdanforth) with the following Youtube link.

All I can say is WOW! This is truly an amazing piece of work. Stunning visuals and excellent audio. This is going to be a reference disc for breathtaking visuals for me now. While this is not my normal fair and obviously not for all of you, it is a very worthwhile look into the adventures of the snowboarders featured. I would say though if you watch with family be aware that there are several "F" bombs and some "S%$#" swearwords thrown around. While not every other word and all the time they do appear from time to time so just be aware if you have some young one's watching. I would have to rate this right near the tippy top of my list. Easily a 4.5 - 4.75/5. Truly breathtaking. Enjoy!

Regards,

RTROSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #6815 of 7926 Old 04-15-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Thanks RT.
Trailer is impressive on the PC!, I'll have to check it out the big screen ...

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #6816 of 7926 Old 04-16-2012, 04:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

watched The Grey last night - lot's of drama but the storyline didn't have much logic to it. In fact, no logic at all that I could see. I'm one that hates cliff-hanger endings unless it's a setup to a sequel. Pretty obvious that this one will not be sequeled. Can't unserstand why Neeson would take a movie like this.
post #6817 of 7926 Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Warrior - 4.5/5 stars
My wife and I went into this not knowing quite what to expect. Neither of us know much about MMA at all. We both thoroughly enjoyed the film, and both of us found it very emotional. We were on the edge of our seats through the fights, and my wife actually shed a tear. (alright, I did too)
post #6818 of 7926 Old 04-17-2012, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post

Watched War Horse (2011)
2.8/5 (amazon 3.7/5, imdb 7.2, rotten tomatoes 74%, Decent Films B+)
Not too bad. A little dull. Not a lot of depth to the characters.
Not so much a plot as 3 interlinked stories, following the horse around.
The horse has a character, so that will attract some viewers.
The barb wire scene was interesting, particularly when they got the wire cutters.
The ending red sunset silhouetted characters reminded me of corresponding shots from some older films like Gone With The Wind.

Watched War Horse this evening. I can count on one hand the number of movies that I have absolutely loved in the last five years. War horse is among these films. In so many ways, I found this film to be really special. The musical score is beautifully orchestrated. The cinematography is first rate, the storyline and character development I thought was well done. The horse was awesome and much kudos to the trainers. The picture quality on bluray is impeccable and I can imagine that future demo discs will feature audio clips from this movie as to well executed LFE and use of surrounds. Its a 7.1 DTS Master Audio track and all my speakers were going almost all of the time. Take your pick, from the plough at the start of the movie to the war scenes. The bass is amazing! Reference quality! Like Bob mentioned, the scene with the barbed wire was pretty special.... Reminded me of stories my great grandfather told me when I was very young. He fought in both world wars and told me stories how enemies would sing songs in the trenches, climb out and share a cigarette with the opposing army. War is strange. This movie, in my opinion, will be a classic and deservedly so. One of Spielberg's very best. 5/5.

Follow my thread
post #6819 of 7926 Old 04-17-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Dingaling, glad to hear you liked it so much. I gave it a favorable review, but you may have convinced me that it was much better than I rated. I still won't give it a 5, but the argument could certainly be made for a 4.5

The Descendent's- What can I say...I'm a George Clooney fan I suppose! There's always little hints of his subtle comedic abilities ala Oh Brother that come through, even on a heavy topic such as this. It was slow at times, but always building character. In the end, a twisted story of love and forgiveness that will cause me to reflect on how I approach both. There were many F bombs (from children), but they were appropriate to the conditions and needed for believability. For some reason, I can't rate a depressing drama highly. But within its genre, this one deserves a watch.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #6820 of 7926 Old 04-17-2012, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Watched the Muppets on Blu-ray with my wife and kids. What a great family movie. I've loved the Muppets ever since I was a kid, and this was a great way of introducing more Muppet characters to my kids. My daughter (2.5) could not get enough of Miss Piggy and my son (4.5) loved the 2 old guys. I highly recommend this for a fun family move night.

post #6821 of 7926 Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Watched "The Five Heartbeats" last night. Not bad. A Robert Townsend classic.
post #6822 of 7926 Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

The Descendent's- What can I say...I'm a George Clooney fan I suppose! There's always little hints of his subtle comedic abilities ala Oh Brother that come through, even on a heavy topic such as this. It was slow at times, but always building character. In the end, a twisted story of love and forgiveness that will cause me to reflect on how I approach both. There were many F bombs (from children), but they were appropriate to the conditions and needed for believability. For some reason, I can't rate a depressing drama highly. But within its genre, this one deserves a watch.

Tony,
Couldn't have said it better. The scenery was also a bonus. I thought this was one of Clooney's better performances!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #6823 of 7926 Old 04-17-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Pineapple Express - Netflix DVD - Saw a trailer for the movie and thought it would be a pretty good movie. Hmmmm.......I have been around the block enough times to know better than to totally rely on trailers. Nothing like I thought it was going to be. Was laugh out loud in parts and complete lunacy/idiocy in others. Which is great if that is what you are looking for. Has so many plot holes could have been called the Swiss Cheese Express. I am not a Seth Rogen fan, but I thought this was a perfect casting for him to play as well as James Franco he plays the part of a burned out dope dealer quite well. Not what I was expecting at all but sometimes that is not a bad thing. Not in a hurry to see it again, but was not a waste either. 3/5

Tony,

Coming up as it was next in my queue is Immortals (not encourage by your review) so we will see how that goes.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #6824 of 7926 Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharel View Post

Watched the Muppets on Blu-ray with my wife and kids. What a great family movie. I've loved the Muppets ever since I was a kid, and this was a great way of introducing more Muppet characters to my kids. My daughter (2.5) could not get enough of Miss Piggy and my son (4.5) loved the 2 old guys. I highly recommend this for a fun family move night.

Agreed 100%. I purchased this on BD and I am glad that I did. My almost 5yo son loved the show and I have watched it twice now. Laughed out loud with the melodramatic 'Am I a man or a muppet?' musical number and it sure was nice to hear 'the rainbow connection' again after all these years. Enjoyed it more the second time, as I really did not know what to expect the first. This is great family entertainment. 4/5

Follow my thread
post #6825 of 7926 Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Watched The Other Guys on television.

Quote:

Watched "Too Big To Fail" on HBO television.

Watched Inside Job (2010)
2.5/5 (amazon 4.6/5, imdb 8.2/10, rotten tomatoes 90%)
Not really exciting, because it's a documentary, but interesting just the same.
Lots of accusations and data and who's who about the financial crisis.
They wasted about 15% of the time talking about what you could spend money on (yachts, large homes, etc).
Lots of famous people, and a few less than famous.
A little less timely than it used to be.
Interesting bit about the ongoing corruption of academia, and new regulatory laws that have been passed around the world but not in the USA, and the 10 million manufacturing jobs lost in China (and presumably about the same in other countries like India).
And the pseudo-corruption and lack of accountability everywhere - rating agencies (moodies, standard and poor, etc), brokerages/investment-banks selling derivatives they were betting against (Littman brothers, Goldman Sachs, etc), CEOs selling out all their stock beforehand (CityGroup), "Hank" Paulson's taking the job as treasury secretary saving him $50 million in taxes, bonuses paid on contract sales but not on the eventual life of the product (Enron II), 33 times leverages mean that a 3% drop is their entire company.
The film is probably a little biased, trying to make a predetermined point.

Watched Margin Call (2011)
2.6/5 (amazon 3.7/5, imdb 7.1/10, rotten tomatoes 74%)
Presumably a fictionalized drama about CityGroup the day before the financial crisis.
"Inside Job" shows that several people predicted the fall, but not the extent, a year or more before it happened. Whereas "Margin Call" presumes that it was discovered the day before it happened.
"Margin Call" has the CEO talking about musical chairs as if he's discovered it that day, whereas "Inside Job" has the CEO talking about musical chairs for over a year saying that as long as the music is playing everyone has to dance even if they know they'll run out of chairs eventually.
"Be first. Be Smarter. Or Cheat."
Lots of famous actors.

post #6826 of 7926 Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched In the Heat of the Night (1967)
3.7/5 (amazon 4.6/5, imdb 8/10, rotten tomatoes 90%)

The winner of the 1967 Oscar for Best Picture (as well as four other Oscars), In the Heat of the Night is set in a small Mississippi town where an unusual murder has been committed. While traveling in the Deep South, Virgil Tibbs(Sidney Poitier), a black Philadelphia homicide detective, becomes unwittingly embroiled in the murder investigation of a prominent businessman when he is first accused of the crime and then asked to solve it. The murdered man, Mr. Colbert, had come to Sparta from the North to build a new factory and his wife (Lee Grant) and business associates immediately point the finger at Endicott, the most powerful man in the county and the one who had the most to lose if a major new employer comes to the area. Finding the killer proves to be difficult, however, especially when his efforts are constantly thwarted by the bigoted town sheriff (Rod Steiger). But neither man can solve this case alone. Putting aside their differences and prejudices, they join forces in a desperate race against time to discover the shocking truth.

I also watched the sequel "They call me MISTER Tibbs (1970)". Not as good.

post #6827 of 7926 Old 04-18-2012, 05:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Pineapple Express - Netflix DVD - Saw a trailer for the movie and thought it would be a pretty good movie. Hmmmm.......I have been around the block enough times to know better than to totally rely on trailers. Nothing like I thought it was going to be. Was laugh out loud in parts and complete lunacy/idiocy in others. Which is great if that is what you are looking for. Has so many plot holes could have been called the Swiss Cheese Express. I am not a Seth Rogen fan, but I thought this was a perfect casting for him to play as well as James Franco he plays the part of a burned out dope dealer quite well. Not what I was expecting at all but sometimes that is not a bad thing. Not in a hurry to see it again, but was not a waste either. 3/5

RTROSE

I think you hit the nail right on the head - I'll have to agree. When I watched it, I didn't know what the movie was going to be about or what to expect. Certainly nothing to write home about but a decent yarn nonetheless. I'd probably watch it again given the right mood.
post #6828 of 7926 Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol (2011)
5/5 (amazon 3.9/5, imdb 7.5, rotten tomatoes 93%, Decent Films A-)

Oh man I missed the fuse so much !!!

When the US government is upset with the IMF they play that Most Dangerous Game and have an "Ethan hunt".

Your mission, should you choose to accept it ... american technology.

In some movies, when a vehicle goes into the river, that could be the plot of the whole movie. In this one I said "Well, that's handy."

Brad Bird's "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" is so preposterously entertaining that it makes watching other recent Hollywood action spectacles feel like work. Ghost Protocol has just about everything I want in a Mission: Impossible movie, and just about nothing that I don't.
And it's true to the original series. (I have it on DVD)

The blu-ray video is sharp, bright, and vibrant.

My goodness what a sequel.

post #6829 of 7926 Old 04-20-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Terrorists [aka Ransom] (1975)
2.8/5 (amazon 3.8/5, imdb 5.6/10, rotten tomatoes 36%)
A gang of hijackers led by Ian McShane seize a British plane as it is landing in Scandinavia. Military police chief Colonel Tahlvik (Sean Connery) is assigned to rescue the plane and it's passengers. But he must also deal with the problem of the British Ambassador, whose residence has been seized by a second group of terrorists. This is before the "make no concessions or deals with terrorists" policy. Tahlvik's government orders him to cooperate fully - but he's not about to give in!

For a BluRay, the video is poor, it might even be poor for a DVD, but it's a reasonably good anti-hijacking tale (B movie, B+ movie) so that's not so important.
IMDB says the original was 1.85:1 (aka 16:9), so it fits well on HDTV.

post #6830 of 7926 Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

WOW BB give a 5? That is a rarity for sure, I see lots of middle of the pack 3+ and what knots, but a 5 very cool. Kind of like Tony giving a 5.

I had a buddy of mine say the same thing as well, he was really impressed with this installment. Sounds like I'm going to have to get this one.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #6831 of 7926 Old 04-20-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

WOW BB give a 5? That is a rarity for sure, I see lots of middle of the pack 3+ and what knots, but a 5 very cool.

Ha, I was going to say the same thing, high praise indeed. Looking forward to watching it even more now.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #6832 of 7926 Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I decided a long time ago that the opinions here were those of the posters, and each was entiled to their own opinion based upon their own experience of the day and the decades before, and that a second playing may vary the results significantly. I won't be upset if everyone else here gives it a 1 star.

Some of my past 4 star reviews:

4/5 It's a wonderful Life
4.4/5 Captain America The First Avenger
4.2/5 In Harm's Way
4/5 The Adjustment Bureau
4/5 Romancing the Stone
4.2/5 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2010)
4/5 Eyeborgs (2009)
4/5 Avatar
4/5 Sherlock Holmes 2009
4/5 Tank (1984)
4/5 Twilight's Last Gleaming (1977)
4/5 Surrogates
4/5 Terminator Salvation Extended Cut
4/5 G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
4/5 Gladiator
4/5 Valkyrie

Quote:

5.5) divinely inspired
5) excellent
4) very good
3) good
2) not awful
1) bad
0) almost bad
-5) 37% of viewers commit seppuku (hari kari) during the film. 22% report bleeding eyes and ears due to self mutilation for self preservation. Spin doctors boast of 50% survival rate.
-10) caused the distruction of the universe. See phenomonology for your current perception.

and yes, I liked Ghost Protocol.

post #6833 of 7926 Old 04-20-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Courageous (2011)
2.9/5 (amazon 4.6/5, imdb 6.2/10, rotten tomatoes 89%, Decent Films B-)

A moral and reminder of responsibility film. Themes of fatherhood and self-sacrifice by showing rather than telling. Coming on the heels of Fireproof, Courageous is the fourth film from Sherwood Pictures, the church-based film company. It doesn't have a great budget, or great acting, or a great script, but it's a film I'm happy to have watched nonetheless. It's been on my shelf for a while, waiting for some relatives to watch it with, but tonight I watched it alone, and in some ways, being a man, I'm glad I did. It was written for the likes of me. I don't mind the religion as many of my relatives are both very religious and quite welcome in my home, and I'm more interested in the rest of the message.

Courageous is a loose-knit ensemble piece about five men -- four police officers (three Anglo, one African-American) and a Latino construction worker — and their domestic and professional lives. Not all are married, or live with the mothers of their children, but the challenges of fatherhood touch them all in one way or another. Most are also believers.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Sheriff says
Thank you. Had an e-mail come across my desk I’d like to share with you.
"A study was done on the increase in violent gang activity. In almost every case, each gang member had a similar attribute. Runaways, dropouts, kids on drugs, and teens in prison. That attribute is that most of them came from a fatherless home. To put it another way, when a father’s absent kids are five times more likely to commit suicide and abuse drugs, twenty times more likely to wind up in prison.”
I know your shift work’s hard, and l know you see the worst side of people.
But when you clock out, go home and love your families.
All right, you’re dismissed.

Spoiler  
THE RESOLUTION

I DO solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.

I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.

I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.

I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.

I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly.

I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy.

I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion.

I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family.

I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.

I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God.

I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will.

I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory.

=============

Adam Mitchell’s Speech for Fathers -- Courageous

As a law-enforcement officer, I’ve seen firsthand the deep hurt and devastation that fatherlessness brings in a child’s life. Our prisons are full of men and women who lived recklessly after being abandoned by their fathers, wounded by the men who should have loved them the most. Many now follow the same pattern of irresponsibility that their fathers did.

While so many mothers have sacrificed to help their children survive, they were never intended to carry the weight alone. We thank God for them.

But research is proving that a child also desperately needs a daddy. There’s no way around this fact. As you know, earlier this year, my family endured the tragic loss of our -year-old daughter, Emily. Her death forced me to realize that not only had I not taken advantage of the priceless time I had with her, but that I did not truly understand how crucial my role was as a father to her and our son, Dylan. Since her passing, I’ve asked God to show me, through his word how to be the father that I need to be.

I now believe that God desires for every father to courageously step up and do whatever it takes to be involved in the lives of his children. But more than just being there or providing for them, he’s to walk with them through their lives and be a visual representation of the character of God, their father in heaven.

A father should love his children and seek to win their hearts. He should protect them, discipline them and teach them about God. He should model how to walk with integrity and treat others with respect and should call out his children to become responsible men and women who live their lives for what matters in eternity.

Some men will hear this and mock it or ignore it. But I tell you that as a father, you are accountable to God for the position of influence he has given you. You can’t fall asleep at the wheel only to wake up one day and realize that your job or your hobbies have no eternal value but the souls of your children do.

Some men will hear this and agree with it but have no resolve to live it out. lnstead, they will live for themselves and waste the opportunity to leave a godly legacy for the next generation.

But there are some men who, regardless of the mistakes we’ve made in the past, regardless of what our fathers did not do for us, will give the strength of our arms and the rest of our days to loving God with all that we are and to teach our children to do the same, and, whenever possible, to love and mentor others who have no father in their lives but who desperately need help and direction.

We are inviting any man whose heart is willing and courageous to join us in this resolution.
In my home, the decision has already been made.
You don’t have to ask who will guide my family, because by God’s grace, I will.
You don’t have to ask who will teach my son to follow Christ, because l will.
Who will accept the responsibility of providing and protecting my family? I will.
Who will ask God to break the chain of destructive patterns in my family’s history? I will.
Who will pray for and bless my children to boldly pursue whatever God calls them to do?
I am their father. I will.

I accept this responsibility, and it is my privilege to embrace it. I want the favor of God and his blessing on my home. Any good man does. So where are you, men of courage? Where are you, fathers who fear the Lord? It’s time to rise up and answer the call that God has given to you and to say, "I will. I will. I will."

post #6834 of 7926 Old 04-21-2012, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Bob, good points on our ratings. For many movies you could expect a different score from me on a second viewing. Your receptiveness at the given moment plays a big role.

That being said, I'll have to give MI4 a very high rating myself. I won't go all the way to 5, but it is a solid 4.25 to possibly 4.5. An enjoyable wild ride that is my favorite of the series. It helped that the audio track is just stunning! It's one of the most dynamic tracks that I've heard, ever.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #6835 of 7926 Old 04-21-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

watched Anonymous last night: An interesting fantasy on the life of William Shakespear. Pretty good movie overall - would watch it again if in the right mood.
post #6836 of 7926 Old 04-21-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Also watched My Week with Marylin last night. Watched it all the way through and it was ok - but overall it just didn't hit me where I live - I think it's more of a lady's movie - though some may disagree.
post #6837 of 7926 Old 04-21-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

and yes, I liked Ghost Protocol.

Haven't seen it yet but I understand it's pretty good. I'll wait and pick it up on Bluray when I get back to the states.
post #6838 of 7926 Old 04-21-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm with you Tony and BB, that is what I like about this thread. I take ZERO offense if I rate something a "5" and someone else rates it a "1.5". That is what makes this thread so valuable is other peoples takes on the same movie.

I do have a confession though. I tend to rate films higher if they have a strong moral/positive and or Christian message as there are so few films with that slant. As you all know so many more films focus on the negatives of life or think that substance = blowing stuff up. I like some of those films too, guilty as charged, but I think whether you are religious or not most of us can do with some very positive or morally strong message like you see in Fire Proof, Courageous, Dolphin Tail, Soul Surfer and even some of the Pixar offerings like Cars and The Incredibles to name a few.

I can also say I tend to watch films on two different levels one for the message and then for the "technical aspects" such as video and audio. Rarely do all the levels merge into one offering, it happens, but it is rare. I guess if we wanted to be more "sophisticated" we could actually break down the film into separate audio - video - message categories to better indicate our "true" ratings.

As always though I enjoy seeing all of the posters reviews here and have added several movies to my queue and redbox list because of them.

Also agree on the second watching rating as I know in some instances when I have had the opportunity for a second watching I have actually enjoyed some movies more the second go around.

As with all things your individual mileage may vary.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #6839 of 7926 Old 04-21-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Ghost Protocol
re "the fuse"

For those of you who are significantly younger than I am, the original 1966-1973 Mission Impossible television series used to start with a teaser, then the fuse.

The fuse was the opening credits with theme music. And with Pavlovian response to the theme music, based upon enjoyment of prior episodes, my sense of anticipation grew. But equally importantly, unlike most shows, the opening credits contained previews, flash forwards, of what was to come in this episode. All while a fuse burned across the screen. These four components: burning sparkle, theme music, credits, flash forward, combine to be known as The Fuse.

One of my big complaints with the first Mission Impossible movies was that although Brian De Palma and John Woo were old enough, one had to wonder if they had never seen the original, because they skipped the fuse, or got one of the four aspects of the fuse wrong. You can't change the theme music. You can't leave out the flash forwards. It's far worse than a 007 without the silhouetted female swimmers. The reason Iron Man and Spiderman and the first Superman worked was because they stuck true to the source. Failure to do so and you end up with Thunderbirds movie or Rocky And Bullwinkle movie or Masters of the Universe movie. YOU MAY NOT HAVE MISSION IMPOSSIBLE WITHOUT A CORECTLY DONE FUSE.

In MI4, when Ethan Hunt casually said "Light the fuse", my whole body perked up like a dog being told of a treat.

It's important.

Some people complain that MI4 isn't a Mission Impossible, it's a 007 british secret service because it's not about a team so much as one man -- there's some irony that the next installment will be MI5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 View Post

Heywood Floyd: I'd love a hot dog.
Curnow: The Astrodome. Good hot dogs.
Heywood Floyd: Astrodome? You can't get good hot dogs indoors. Yankee Stadium, September. Hot dogs have been boiling since the opening day in April. That's a hot dog.
Curnow: The yellow mustard, or the darker one?
Heywood Floyd: Darker.
Curnow: It's important.

post #6840 of 7926 Old 04-21-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree the music and the fuse ARE of GREAT IMPORTANCE. Like this for you youngens.

Enjoy.

Regards,

RTROSE

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Spy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page