post #6841 of 7976 Old 04-21-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Watched The Fantastic Four - 1994 Movie
1.6/5

The full 1 hour and 30 minute film is available at the embeded YouTube link above.

The Fantastic Four 1994 is an unreleased low-budget feature film completed in 1994. Created to secure copyright to the property.

Roger Corman: "Bernd Eichinger, the German producer, had the rights to The Fantastic Four and he was going to make it on about a $40 million budget but couldn't raise the money and his option was going to run out in three months. If he didn't start the picture, he would lose his option. So he came to me and said, "I didn't get my $40 million. How much can you cut this budget to and let's make it together at your studio." So we figured out a budget and we cut it from $40 million to $1.4 million and made it. ... Avi (Arad) calls me up and says, 'Listen, I think what you did was great. It shows your enthusiasm for the movie and the property. I understand that you have invested so-and-so much and Roger has invested so-and-so much. Let's do a deal.' Because he really didn't like the idea that a small movie was coming out and maybe ruining the franchise. So he says to me that he wants to give me back the money that we spent on the movie and that we should not release it. "
http://www.teako170.com/ffmovie.html

You may recognise Rebecca Staab from the movie "Love Potion No. 9", where she turned down the male protagonist.

Bernd Eichinger, producer of the 1994 version, went on in 2005 to produce the newer movie.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 7976 Old 04-22-2012, 02:50 AM
Blues In Thirds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post

Ghost Protocol
re "the fuse"

For those of you who are significantly younger than I am, the original 1966-1973 Mission Impossible television series used to start with a teaser, then the fuse.

The fuse was the opening credits with theme music. And with Pavlovian response to the theme music, based upon enjoyment of prior episodes, my sense of anticipation grew. But equally importantly, unlike most shows, the opening credits contained previews, flash forwards, of what was to come in this episode. All while a fuse burned across the screen. These four components: burning sparkle, theme music, credits, flash forward, combine to be known as The Fuse.

One of my big complaints with the first Mission Impossible movies was that although Brian De Palma and John Woo were old enough, one had to wonder if they had never seen the original, because they skipped the fuse, or got one of the four aspects of the fuse wrong. You can't change the theme music. You can't leave out the flash forwards. It's far worse than a 007 without the silhouetted female swimmers. The reason Iron Man and Spiderman and the first Superman worked was because they stuck true to the source. Failure to do so and you end up with Thunderbirds movie or Rocky And Bullwinkle movie or Masters of the Universe movie. YOU MAY NOT HAVE MISSION IMPOSSIBLE WITHOUT A CORECTLY DONE FUSE.

In MI4, when Ethan Hunt casually said "Light the fuse", my whole body perked up like a dog being told of a treat.

It's important.

Some people complain that MI4 isn't a Mission Impossible, it's a 007 british secret service because it's not about a team so much as one man -- there's some irony that the next installment will be MI5.

Agree with the irony of MI5 being next - looking forward to MI4 - haven't seen it yet.
post #6843 of 7976 Old 04-22-2012, 02:52 AM
Blues In Thirds

watched The Fighter last night. Chrisitan Bale stoled the show IMO.
post #6844 of 7976 Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 52
War Horse - Redbox BR - Well I have mixed emotions regarding this film. The visuals and audio track in this was first rate. The story line just so so for me, although as others have stated the no mans land barbed wire scene was incredibly well done. I understand the different story lines in the film, and it adds to the depth of the character of the horse, but to me they were choppy and hampered the otherwise good flow of the movie. To me the movie started out very slowly and I kept waiting for the movie to pick up and get started and just took a while to get there. Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie and it is a very good movie, just not a fantastic or phenomenal one. I my opinion it was way over hyped with all of the award buzz. However I may have had more of a soft spot had the character been a dog vs. a horse. Again it is a good movie, just not a great one. I almost did a blind buy on this one and I'm glad I held off but would not have been too disappointed either way I guess. 3/5

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #6845 of 7976 Old 04-22-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
4.8 / 5 (reason it is so low was I watched at 65" and with lossy audio, sure it will be 5x5 when I watch in the BT at 110" loss-less ... : D loved the movie if you could't tell.
post #6846 of 7976 Old 04-23-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 106
We watched MI4 Saturday night. I would give it a 4.25 or 4.5. Best movie I've seen in a long time.
post #6847 of 7976 Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

We watched MI4 Saturday night. I would give it a 4.25 or 4.5. Best movie I've seen in a long time.

The building scenes almost gave me vertigo...
post #6848 of 7976 Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post

Almost makes me glad I only have a 46" screen
post #6849 of 7976 Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Played Armageddon (1998)
3.2/5 (amazon 3.4/5, imdb 6.3/10, rotten tomatoes 77%, Decent Films D)
It's been several years since I've last seen it.
Saw that the full movie was available on YouTube, decided to pop in the DVD.
The first time I saw this, I remember hating several aspects of it as being completely unrealistic and contrary to physics etc.
It didn't help that Deep Impact came out the same year.
The film seems to have grown on me a bit. Maybe I'm stupider -- that could help a lot -- or maybe in the intervening decade we've had worse and my standards have plummeted, or maybe playing it instead of watching it helps. Always nice to see a film with a hero though.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #6850 of 7976 Old 04-23-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

or maybe playing it instead of watching it helps.

Not sure I follow the distinction between playing it and watching it? I checked to see if the link was to a video game
post #6851 of 7976 Old 04-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Played Armageddon (1998)
3.2/5 (amazon 3.4/5, imdb 6.3/10, rotten tomatoes 77%, Decent Films D)
It's been several years since I've last seen it.
Saw that the full movie was available on YouTube, decided to pop in the DVD.
The first time I saw this, I remember hating several aspects of it as being completely unrealistic and contrary to physics etc.
It didn't help that Deep Impact came out the same year.
The film seems to have grown on me a bit. Maybe I'm stupider -- that could help a lot -- or maybe in the intervening decade we've had worse and my standards have plummeted, or maybe playing it instead of watching it helps. Always nice to see a film with a hero though.

Target had Deep Impact on Blu-ray for $5.00 last week. Now, I just have to make time to watch it. Armageddon wasn't too bad, but that much cheese without trying to be funny is annoying. Deep Impact really showed how a movie should be done, although Tea Leoni acting drove me crazy.
post #6852 of 7976 Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Not sure I follow the distinction between playing it and watching it? I checked to see if the link was to a video game

Sorry.
Frequently I do work and chores with DVDs playing in the background. Having seen the film before, and if my mind is not otherwise engaged, I can glance at it for the good parts.
When I exercise, my treadmill faces the screen, but my bench press station is out of view but within earshot.
I use 'Watched' where more than 80% of the time I'm looking at the movie, or if I make popcorn.
I use 'Played' where more than 80% of the time I'm looking elsewhere. Sometimes I can play a movie 3 times the same day, having not looked at it at all during at least one playing, other than to be surprised that the end credits are rolling, at which point I glance at the clock.

post #6853 of 7976 Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^I know the difference between watching and playing a movie as well. I will play a movie quite frequently while I am otherwise engaged in other duties. Kind of like having background music on only a movie. BB I get ya, and I'm with ya.

Funny how you mention Armageddon as this was just on TV and last week I "played" this movie as well as I was doing some work around the house.

Other favorite movies to "play" while I'm doing things; Gladiator, The Matrix, Black Hawk Down, offerings from Pixar, Oceans Eleven, Avatar, and Star Trek. Just to name a few.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #6854 of 7976 Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched RoboDoc (2009)
0/5 (amazon 4.6/5, imdb 3.9/10, Rotten Tomatoes 26%)
This was alarmingly terrible.

Played Wing Commander (1999)
3/5 (amazon 2.8/5, imdb 3.8/10, rotten tomatoes 26%)
Much better.
Ignoring that it's actually a submarine/aircraft-carrier movie set in space where the technology port doesn't make any sense whatsoever, the pilgram genetic religion background and the Kzin like Kilrathi and quasar hopping is a bit of fun. Based on the video game. The ending has some similarities to Honorverse (David Weber) terminus defense.

post #6855 of 7976 Old 04-23-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL, first 0 I've seen you dole out! Really tempted to watch that now - oh wait, its one of those National Lampoon branded turds, nvm
post #6856 of 7976 Old 04-24-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Carnage- outstanding! For only four actors and one room (started life as a stage play), it was riveting! The writing and acting were both the best I have seen in a long time. Many laugh out louds and many times I saw reflections of myself. This one is very close to a 5 for me.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #6857 of 7976 Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post

Me too! It was incredible visually!

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #6858 of 7976 Old 04-24-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Tony,
Couldn't have said it better. The scenery was also a bonus. I thought this was one of Clooney's better performances!

Watched The Descendants this weekend. Visually, the movie was beautiful. I thought that Clooney was well cast and he did really well in the movie. The problem for me was the story. It was slow and amounted to very little. And the ending....shees! Not a fan of this one. 2.0/5.0.

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #6859 of 7976 Old 04-25-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Contraband (2012)
2.9/5 (amazon 3.1/5, imdb 6.5/10, rotten tomatoes 60%)
A Mark Wahlberg remake, directed by the star of the original "Reykjavik-Rotterdam (2008)" -- the fact that he's made the movie already once probably doesn't hurt.
Kate Beckinsale plays the wife.
The first half is unsatisfying, even with the breaking of the 10th Commandment setting up the second half of the film and making it predictable, including the hollywood ending. But it picks up. A few interesting ideas, a few bad ones, an interesting camera shooting technique for the armoured car heist, and the concrete was worth seeing once.
J.K. Simmons doesn't get to do much stunt work, but in this one he was asked if he would climb a 10' ladder.

Watched The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
2.8/5
Alfred Hitchcock

Watched The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
3.6/5
Alfred Hitchcock
A James Stewart remake, directed by the director of the original 1934 -- the fact that he's made the movie already once probably doesn't hurt.
Doris Day plays the wife.
The first half is satisfying, with the breaking of the 6th Commandment setting up the second half of the film and making it predictable, including the hollywood ending.

post #6860 of 7976 Old 04-26-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Immortals- very disappointed. Enough said.

Tony,

I don't think I could improve upon what you have said. So I won't. 1/5

Regards,

RTROSE

post #6861 of 7976 Old 04-27-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Thanks guys - your mutual opinion is all I need to take a pass !

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #6862 of 7976 Old 04-28-2012, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Played Mission Impossible 1 (1996), Mission Impossible 2 (2000), Mission Impossible 3 (2006)
Mission Impossible 1: directed by Brian De Palma, has a bit of the fuse and flashforwards but it's not right because the fuse doesn't burn continously.
Mission Impossible 2: directed by John Woo, no flashforwards. I don't know if I've ever liked anything Thandie Newton was in.
Mission Impossible 3: directed by J.J. Abrams, no flashforwards. Tom Cruise, at 44 years of age, runs like the wind.

(whereas Mission Impossible 4 was directed by Brad Bird. Fuse was just right)

post #6863 of 7976 Old 04-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Blues In Thirds

watched some old Frontline re runs last night. "Inside the Meltdown" was one.
post #6864 of 7976 Old 04-29-2012, 01:16 AM
Blues In Thirds

Quote:

Played Mission Impossible 1 (1996), Mission Impossible 2 (2000), Mission Impossible 3 (2006)
Mission Impossible 1: directed by Brian De Palma, has a bit of the fuse and flashforwards but it's not right because the fuse doesn't burn continously.
Mission Impossible 2: directed by John Woo, no flashforwards. I don't know if I've ever liked anything Thandie Newton was in.
Mission Impossible 3: directed by J.J. Abrams, no flashforwards. Tom Cruise, at 44 years of age, runs like the wind.

(whereas Mission Impossible 4 was directed by Brad Bird. Fuse was just right)

I didn't realize Cruise was that far along. Makes sense though since Top Gun was in the late 80s I believe. Other Thandie flicks such as Riddick, Crash, Pursuit of Happiness were worth the look IMO, though others may disagree.
post #6865 of 7976 Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Watched Casualties of War this afternoon. Had a spare couple of hours to revisit this movie after quite a few years. It's still a powerful tale of the loss of morality during wartime. Michael J Fox and Sean Penn were amazing and the score by Ennio Morricone is haunting throughout the film. Watched it in a 32 inch LCD so can't vouch for the dynamics. Really enjoyed seeing this film again. There was a hint of sadness with what has happened with MJF and his ailment. With performances such as this, he could have been a really great actor. Solid 4/5.

Follow my thread here
post #6866 of 7976 Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched Gallipoli (1981)
2.2/5 (amazon 4.5/5, imdb 7.6/10, rotten tomatoes 77%)
Mel Gibson. Two Australian sprinters face the brutal realities of war when they are sent to fight in the Gallipoli campaign in Turkey during World War I.
A quality film with a poignant ending, but it just didn't engage me this watching.

Played The Producers (2005)
1.9/5 (amazon 3.8/5, imdb 6.3/10, rotten tomatoes 51%)
A musical. Matthew Broderick. Mel Brooks. Will Ferrell as Hitler. Gary Beach as Hitler.
"After putting together another Broadway flop, down-on-his-luck producer Max Bialystock teams up with timid accountant Leo Bloom in a get-rich-quick scheme to put on the world's worst show."
A remake of the probably better 1968 Gene Wilder film of the same name, or perhaps a Broadway production.
Budget: $45,000,000
Opening Weekend: $154,590
Certainly a good effort by all, especially Nathan Lane.
Thought it was an ok buy in a local $5 DVD bin, but I see that amazon is selling it for $3.95.

post #6867 of 7976 Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Budget: $45,000,000
Opening Weekend: $154,590

Ouch
post #6868 of 7976 Old 04-30-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Ouch

I thought it was the best joke of the movie.

The movie is about how if you collect a large sum of money from investors, spend a little bit of that on the show and pocket the rest, and the show is a flop, you don't have to pay your invetors their money or any proffits.

So, maybe Mel Brooks got 45 million from investors, spent $1 million making the film, and it grosses about the same and ...

post #6869 of 7976 Old 04-30-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I loved the original - but hard to see how Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel could be improved upon. And I somehow didn't catch the extreme irony of the budget / box office, given the subject of the movie!
post #6870 of 7976 Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I also watched MI4 last weekend and was really impressed. Great movie.

Re the Thandie Newton comments - I have mixed feelings. I really enjoyed Crash (although I'd need to go back and re-watch to determine how much of that had to do with her), but I thought she stunk it up in MI2.

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Spy by PriceGrabber.com