Forum Jump: 

post #7921 of 7944 Old 09-19-2014, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Watched Godzilla (2014)
3/5 (amazon 3.8/5, imdb 6.8/10, rotten tomatoes 69/73%, Decent Films: C, AVS Ralph Potts: 3.5/5)
Budget $160 million.
Gross $200 million USA.
I kind of liked it. I miss the French from the Mathew Broderick version, but the 2014 Godzilla is better.
The 2014 Godzilla changes the primary plot, moving the monsters back a million years or so rather than created by the Bikini testing -- which is odd, and kind of misses the primary point of the tale.
That people are ants no more annoying than flees seemed an important plot point, and yet there's a moment that Godzilla King Of the Monsters and Protector And Balancer Of Nature looks at one man perhaps with approval.
The director wanted to introduce the monsters slowly so you see bits here and there, rather than the entire monster, until the end -- and even then most of this film is shot at night so unless you've got a very bright screen they're hard to see.
Trying to make the two new monsters look like stealth fighters with legs, was a bit off -- but better than 1998 Godzilla.
David Strathairn is a very good actor, but doesn't pull of the Admiral role.
Bryan Cranston should have been alive longer.
Ken Watanabe's role is odd, but his assistant played by Sally Hawkins was bang on.
The HALO I thought was good, even if all CGI. The sets were nicely done.
The Cranston and Binoche scene with the closing door was also well done.
Quote:
Brian Reaves said it best: Finally! A Godzilla movie without Godzilla!, May 28, 2014 By Brian Reaves
Godzilla Appearances:
Godzilla's scales in the ocean at 00:55 for 5 seconds
Godzilla full appearance and classic roar at 00:59 for 10 seconds
Godzilla's scales again back in the ocean at 1:01 for 4 seconds
Godzilla's tail on submarine camera at 1:19 for 3 seconds
Godzilla appears from the water and near bridge at 1:24 total scene 3 minutes and not all Godzilla
Godzilla stands up and is attacked by the smaller monster at 1:33 for 5 seconds
Godzilla standing and roar at 1:38 for the face off with the other creature for 10 seconds
Godzilla fighting 1:40 for 1 minute
Godzilla getting beat up at 1:42 for 5 seconds
Godzilla breath (finally) at 1:44 for 5 seconds. Breath is pretty weak by other movie standards but better than the Mathew Broderick movie which was just plain regular fire.
Godzilla fighting at 1:45 takes out smaller monster for 5 seconds. Don't know how, too dark to see
Godzilla sneaks up on bigger monster, grabs it by the neck and breaths down its throat taking it out and then passes out at 1:49 for 1 minute
Godzilla laying on the ground appearing dead at 1:52 for 5 seconds
Godzilla wakes back up at 1:53 for 3 seconds
Godzilla's job is done. He lets out a mighty roar and heads back out to sea at 1:55 for 1 minute.
Total movie: 2:03
Total Godzilla: 7 minutes (roughly)

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.

Last edited by BasementBob; 09-19-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 7944 Old 09-20-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Great post Bob!
post #7923 of 7944 Old 09-21-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Heaven is for real and God's Not Dead - Netflix DVD - Both movies have a very positive and uplifting message and are fantastic family movies. Refreshing to be able to watch a movie without violence and curse words every other word. I wish more movies would come out with positive content and an uplifting message. Well worth a watch.

3 Days to Kill - Netflix on demand - Well I really did not know what to expect with the movie and can't say I was too impressed. The plot, character development, and pacing were all over the place and the movie just did not jell with me. Glad I did not waste a DVD rental with this one. 2.5/5

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #7924 of 7944 Old 09-22-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 92
We watched The Amazing Spiderman 2. I still don't know why they rebooted it, and I don't like the little twerp who plays Peter Parker.

But it wasn't too bad a movie. I noticed some scientific inaccuracies, but you'll have that with superhero movies

7/10
post #7925 of 7944 Old 09-22-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Watched Godzilla last night, Bob's take is pretty much mine... 2D version.

Mom's Night Out - : 5.4/10 IMDb My take 8 /10
Fun clean movie suitable for family... Trace Adkins makes a good biker.

Divergent - 6.9/10 IMDb My take 7/10
Having not seen the Hunger Games movies, not influenced by those references... good popcorn movie set in a post apocalyptic future where the residents of Chicago are separated into 4 factions..

The Fault in the Stars - 8.2/10 IMDb My take 8/10
Sad movie with the same actress from Divergent & the actor who played Her Brother as cancer patients who meet at a support group.

Watched all of the above on a 50" plasma at a friends house so can't comment on the AQ...
post #7926 of 7944 Old 10-06-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

(It's been a slow couple weeks for new releases)

Played Godzilla 1954 : 4.0 / 5
Played Godzilla 1955 Raids Again : 3.0 / 5
Played Godzilla 1956 King of the Monsters : 3.3 / 5
Played Godzilla 1962 King Kong : 2.9 / 5
Played Godzilla 1964 Ghidorah (3 headed) : 3.3 / 5
Played Godzilla 1964 Mothra, : 3.3 / 5
Played Godzilla 1965 Astro Monster : 3.1 / 5
Played Godzilla 1966 Ebirah/Sea : 2.5 / 5
Played Godzilla 1967 Son : 2.2 / 5
Played Godzilla 1968 Destroy All Monsters : 3.3 / 5
Played Godzilla 1969 Bambi : 3.6 / 5
Played Godzilla 1969 Revenge/All Monsters Attack : 2.0 / 5
Played Godzilla 1971 Hedorah/Smog : 3.0 / 5
Played Godzilla 1972 Gigan : 2.7 / 5
Played Godzilla 1972 Monster Island : 2.7 / 5
Played Godzilla 1973 Megalon : 2,1 / 5
Played Godzilla 1975 MegaGodzilla : 3.1 / 5
Played Godzilla 1984 Legend Reborn : 3.0 / 5
Played Godzilla 1984 Return : 3.0 / 5
Played Godzilla 1989 Biollante : 3.3 / 5
Played Godzilla 1991 King Ghidorah : 3.2 / 5
Played Godzilla 1992 Mothra Battle : 3.0 / 5
Played Godzilla 1993 MechaGodzilla II : 3.3 / 5
Played Godzilla 1994 Space Godzilla : 3.1 / 5
Played Godzilla 1995 Destroyah : 3.5 / 5
Played Godzilla 1998 Mathew Broderick : 3.1 / 5
Played Godzilla 2000 Megaguirus : 3.2 / 5
Played Godzilla 2002 MechaGodzilla : 3.4 / 5
Played Godzilla 2004 Final Wars : 3.3 / 5
Played Godzilla 2014 : 3.0 / 5

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.

Last edited by BasementBob; 10-06-2014 at 05:11 PM.
post #7927 of 7944 Old 10-10-2014, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

(New releases all showed up on the same day.)

Watched Edge of Tomorrow
4.4/5 (amazon 4.5/5, imdb 8.0, rotten tomatoes 90%, Decent Films B+, Ralph Potts: 4/5)
Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt -- both playing 2D characters. Got the feeling the director liked Tom Cruise's smile.
Lots of action, great special effects and acceptable story line. Definitely one of the best movies I have seen this year.
Predictable, but exactly what the commercials lead me to believe. Might have been nice to have a repeat counter on the screen indicating how many times Tom had died and come back.
It's got a Hollywood Happy Ending that reminded me a bit of Next's (2007, Nicolas Cage) ending.
I hear there's a book -- which apparently is better.

Watched X-Men: Days of Future Past
3.9/5 (amazon 4.5/5, imdb 8.2/10, rotten tomatoes 93%, Decent Films: A-)
Overall, a satisfyingly pleasant film.
With the marvel universe the more they stick to the source material, the better the movie is. The Sentinals are such a deviation, but not as bad as some other messes.
Admittedly director Bryan Singer is better than Tim Burton & J.J. Abrams who wreck entire things left and right, but Singer gave the same horrible treatment to Superman weakening him trying to make him more human (Superman is a thief, Wolverine loses his adamantium).
Character Kitty Pryde is given a new power she never had anywhere else -- which manifests itself in two plot required ways, namely a sort of time travel.
Evan Peters playing Quicksilver was really good -- his character, and the things the character does, are the high points of the film.
Storm was not anywhere near up to her usual self, neither was The Professor (young or old).
Ian McClellan as older Magneto seems to be mostly just dialing in his performance, with one exception.
Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, I had the feeling watching this that she was in this film, a film centered around her, only to fulfill a contractual obligation.
The continuity issues boggled. They send Wolverine back to 1973--in Origins he'd been recruited by Stryker then. In this movie, nope. Origins is completely hand-waved away, never happened. Yet Stryker is in Washington where all the action goes down, but for some (again with no explanation at all) he's thirty years younger. So if Origins didn't happen, how will Wolverine get his adamantium coated claws and bones? They don't tell us.
Audio cut out at one point, but a rewind and play and it was back til the end.

Watched Transformers: Age of Extinction
2.9/5 (amazon 3.8/5, imdb 6.0/10, rotten tomatoes 18%/54%, Ralph Potts 2/5)
2 hours and 45 minutes.
Overall, although it has some redeeming features and the ending is ultimately acceptable, somehow I can't really go so far as to say it was actually good.
I watched it in five half hour sessions, one with a two hour pause to do other stuff.
In one sense there are several stories, sequentially told rather than in parallel like Cloud Atlas, so my pauses weren't that bad.
Otimus Prime was better than in previous ones -- fewer ridiculous lines (a good thing); in this one the bad lines are given to the other autobots.
I was worried about Mark Wahlberg, and indeed he was miscast, but played the role he was given. Nonetheless Mark was an order of magnitude better than Shia LaBeouf.
Nicola Peltz reminded me a lot of a young Tara Reid -- apparently I'm not alone in that; many feel she's not as good an actress as Tara Reid though.
John Goodman and Ken Watanabe as autobots Hound and Drift, just never seemed to get their emotions in line with what was happening on the screen -- perhaps they did the voices before the CGI was done or something.
The $210 million dollar budget showed up in the CGI -- some of which was silly due to the plot requirement (dinosaurs) but very well done (nice trees being wrecked by the dinosaurs).
Director Michael Bay throws a reasonable amount of action as he always does, but its never really engrossing.
Shot with the first IMAX Digital 3D camera, making the images quite immersive and stunning, and a very nice detailed image on BluRay especially the CGI.

I remember watching this scene from Iron Man 2
and thinking "Director Jon Favreau probably told Scarlett Johansson after the scene was done 'I just gave you $60 million dollars in future movie contracts. Some day I hope you appreciate that.' "

Last edited by BasementBob; 10-10-2014 at 02:40 AM.
post #7928 of 7944 Old 10-10-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Edge of Tomorrow does come from a book - All You Need is Kill. The story is good, and in some significan ways different from the movie. So if you want to see another way to consider he premise, go ahead and read it. But really, it's not better. The translation from the original Japanese is the weakest part, I think. The language is repetitive and sometimes dull, and the tone is inconsistent.
post #7929 of 7944 Old 10-10-2014, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Edge of Tomorrow does come from a book - All You Need is Kill.
Although the book is for sale, I haven't seen it.
I found the manga version on line (432 images). http://www.mangareader.net/all-you-need-is-kill/1

post #7930 of 7944 Old 10-11-2014, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post
Although the book is for sale, I haven't seen it.
I found the manga version on line (432 images). http://www.mangareader.net/all-you-need-is-kill/1
It's on Amazon in both the original and the movie tie in release.

Looky here!
post #7931 of 7944 Old 10-11-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
It's on Amazon in both the original and the movie tie in release.
Apologies I was unclear, and thanks for the assistance attempt.
I had seen it was for sale at amazon, in both formats you describe.
I meant that I had not read a copy of the book.

post #7932 of 7944 Old 10-11-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Bob, one thing I noticed in your reviews; you don't always indicate which version you watched - 3D or 2D.

For me it is very important.

1. 'Godzilla' (2014): Which one you saw; 3D or 2D?
2. 'Live - Die - Repeat': 3D or 2D?
3. 'TF4': I assume the 3D version this time, as you briefly mentioned.

Thanks Bob.
post #7933 of 7944 Old 10-11-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

NorthSky:
I always buy the 3D combos if they are available, as you might notice from the links I use.
But my reviews are virtually always, including those three, of the 2D.
I haven't seen many 3D that I've liked the additional dimension, Avatar being the obvious exception.
I dislike stepped Z depth images (as opposed to continuous depth including depth within single objects as well as their placement relative to other things), which routinely happens with post 3D as with Judge Dredd.
Since Transformers 4 was natively shot with new equipment capable of 3D, I'm debating going back and watching it in 3D just to see what the 3D is like rather than for the movie itself.
3D is also darker - and XMen was already dark.

post #7934 of 7944 Old 10-11-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Alright Bob; 2D for all your movie (Blu-ray) reviews. ...Thx, very important. ...The landscape is totally different in 3D versus 2D.

And I asked you because I did not read enough of your posts yet to realize that.

* I too always get the 3D version; I make it my priority. ...And I even double dip sometimes, in order to.
I usually prefer the 3D version myself, except for few ones. ...But then, I'm a 3D invested kind of guy.
...For the glory, and the valor.
post #7935 of 7944 Old 10-12-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I had previously attempted to post my review of Transformers Age of Extinction - Bluray - but somehow some reason it did not post. This was a blind buy for me just to complete the franchise. The first one is, was, and will be the best of all the installments but as a fourth in the series story lines are starting to get thin (thinner?). I agree with Bob, Walburg is much better that LeBeouf but still the human characters are all just out of place and out of sorts. Especially the stoner surfer dude. Could have been a fun character but just falls short. As far as audio and visuals this is very much demo material for sound mixing and range as well as the visuals. Typical Michael Bay with no rhyme or reason for time line continuity as far as day night morning afternoon etc etc. I think the next Transformers film will have to be one continuous explosion to compete with this one. This one also make the others look like they have actual story lines. It really is a very poor movie with excellent audio and visuals. 4.25/5 for audio and video 2.5/5 for the movie overall.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #7936 of 7944 Old 10-12-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I usually prefer the 3D version myself, except for few ones.
What would be your list of the top 5 3D movies, based on their 3D rendering quality alone (not plot, not actors, not nifty CGI)?
post #7937 of 7944 Old 10-12-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
the stoner surfer dude. Could have been a fun character but just falls short.
Agreement.

Just curious: did anyone else wonder if the reason the boyfriend was such a good driver when we first meet him before the jump was because he was driving bumble bee?

Last edited by BasementBob; 10-12-2014 at 02:12 PM.
post #7938 of 7944 Old 10-12-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Agreement.

Just curious: did anyone else wonder if the reason the boyfriend was such a good driver when we first meet him before the jump was because he was driving bumble bee?
Hmmm.....interesting thought. Never considered it actually.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #7939 of 7944 Old 10-12-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What would be your list of the top 5 3D movies, based on their 3D rendering quality alone (not plot, not actors, not nifty CGI)?
♦ Transformers: Age of Extinction
♦ Gravity
♦ Avatar
♦ Prometheus
♦ Brave

Here's five more:

* UP
* Tangled
* Kung Fu Panda 2
* Madagascar 3
* Toy Story 3

<<>> So many movies so little time.
post #7940 of 7944 Old 10-12-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
He was?
post #7941 of 7944 Old 10-12-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
He was?
He wasn't. Shane Dyson's Chevrolet Sonic RS rally car is not a transformer. If I remember right it got wrecked and abandoned.
I think the part of Bumble Bee is played by a 1967 Camaro and a 2014 Chevrolet Camaro. Previously, including the cartoons, played by yellow Volkswagen Beetle, yellow and black 1977 Chevrolet Camaro, 2006 Camaro Concept, yellow and black 2009 Chevrolet Camaro, and I think a Suzuki Swift.

Last edited by BasementBob; 10-12-2014 at 06:18 PM.
post #7942 of 7944 Old 10-13-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

If any one is interested there is a lot of info/videos on youtube about Bumblebee and his progression and development as well as the other characters. Pretty interesting. Oh and there is a lot of controversy regarding the "new" Bumblebee that reflects the possible 2016 Camaro which for the film was basically a one off custom/concept car. Personally I did not see anything wrong with the '67 version. That was pretty awesome.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #7943 of 7944 Old 10-13-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Amazing Captain Nemo (1978)
2/5 (amazon 4.6/5, imdb 4.9/10)
This 1978 Irwin Allen made for TV movie was manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media, and wouldn't play in my main DVD player, but did play in my Toshiba HD-DVD player. The old ones are the best.
NorthSky, I thought you'd like to know I watched the 2D version.
Watchable, but I pushed fast forward more times than I can count.
While swimming around during war games depth charge testing, two US Navy divers discover the Nautilus trapped underwater, with Captain Nemo (José Ferrer) in suspended animation inside for the last century.
Possibly José Ferrer's worst role. It wasn't Burgess Meredith's worst role, but its up there.
Burr DeBenning and Tom Hallick were surprisingly wooden, and that's saying something.
Med Flory as the telepathic robot with a beer gut and corset -- hmm.
Linda Day George, staring as the token feminist woman, without a corset.
The movie is full of over-wrought cheesy dialogue, under-acting, and unbelievable technology.
The Nautilus may be noisy 125 year old technology, but it moves at 120 knots, has electric force projection shields that stop nuclear weapons that look like lasers, has lasers, a bathyscaphe that works at 33,000 feet beneath the sea, and a status chamber for century long sleeps; but no music, no food, and no ramming.
Nemo brings the Nautilus into an American Naval Base for an upgrade, and gets two way underwater television installed -- it's a shame that today's submarines don't have this video-telephone feature due to some long wavelength problem -- if only Bell would put cell anchors every few feet throughout the oceans then problems like this could be solved.
Nemo goes out for a swim in scuba gear at 33,000 feet, and is worried about the radiation for which he can only survive four minutes in.
In order to protect himself from the deadly radiation in the nuclear reactor, Burr DeBenning wore sunglasses. Not special sunglasses, just a pair of Ray Bans.
Like all Irwin Allan movies it has an electrical room where the bad guy will commit sabotage, the bad guy and good guy will have a fight and winner gets the girl, and the bad guy will be predictably electrocuted against an unprotected electric panel labeled "High Voltage" in large letters. The Nautilus gets stuck in a WWII style mine field just like in Irwin Allan's Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, and two mines collide twice using 'stock' footage from Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, and to save walking in the editing room its the same footage used twice.
And in addition to the telepathic robot, there are other robots each skillfully manufactured to look just like people in gold skin tight suits.
Nonetheless, the optical and photographic special effects were just strong enough in this production to earn it an Emmy Award nomination for "Outstanding Individual Achievement In Any Area Of Creative Technical Crafts."

post #7944 of 7944 Old 10-14-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
A Million Ways to Die in the West

2.5/ 5 Ralph 6.2/10 IMDb 4/5 Me
Maybe we were in the right mood last week, but really enjoyed Seth MacFarland's take on the West, filmed in my home state...
Some great cameos, sight gags etc. helped the movie.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Spy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page