AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post
Watched Snowpiercer (2013)
4.0/5 (amazon 3.3/5, imdb 7.0/10, rotten tomatoes 95%/76%, AVS Ralph Potts 4/5)
Set in a future where a failed climate-change experiment kills all life on the planet except for a lucky few who boarded the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe, where a class system emerges and a civil war erupts. “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”
I never saw any commercials on television for this. First I heard of it was on AVS.
Glad I bought it though.
126 minutes. $39 million budget.
Chris Evans, Ed Harris, John Hurt, Alison Pill (The Newsroom).
The plot is totally irrational. For example, there are eggs on the train, but no chickens; steaks, but no steers; bugs, but no source for them. A perpetual motion machine, enough said.
But it holds together somehow as a story. Lots of violence, indeed hack-and-slash throughout, although a lot of the gore is implied rather than actually seen.
Some people hate it. This guy liked it far more than it deserves.
Some polar opposite thoughts on the internet of what the ending meant. Was the earth warming enough for a polar bear, so it was warm enough for the survivors? Or did the few human survivors meet a creature that was going to eat them for food and that's the end of the human race.
Not a film I'm likely to drag out for the elderly relatives though.
Snowpiercer is an allegory, the train isn't meant to be taken literally.

HopefulFred likes this.

Looky here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7952 of 7955 Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Watched Snowpiercer (2013)
4.0/5 (amazon 3.3/5, imdb 7.0/10, rotten tomatoes 95%/76%, AVS Ralph Potts 4/5)
Set in a future where a failed climate-change experiment kills all life on the planet except for a lucky few who boarded the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe, where a class system emerges and a civil war erupts. “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”
I never saw any commercials on television for this. First I heard of it was on AVS.
Glad I bought it though.
126 minutes. $39 million budget.
Chris Evans, Ed Harris, John Hurt, Alison Pill (The Newsroom).
The plot is totally irrational. For example, there are eggs on the train, but no chickens; steaks, but no steers; bugs, but no source for them. A perpetual motion machine, enough said.
But it holds together somehow as a story. Lots of violence, indeed hack-and-slash throughout, although a lot of the gore is implied rather than actually seen.
Some people hate it. This guy liked it far more than it deserves.
Some polar opposite thoughts on the internet of what the ending meant. Was the earth warming enough for a polar bear, so it was warm enough for the survivors? Or did the few human survivors meet a creature that was going to eat them for food and that's the end of the human race.
Not a film I'm likely to drag out for the elderly relatives though.
I have been intrigued by this movie. Is it really over the top with the Global Warming thing? I'm not really a fan of the liberal Hollywood agenda movies.
post #7953 of 7955 Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I have been intrigued by this movie. Is it really over the top with the Global Warming thing? I'm not really a fan of the liberal Hollywood agenda movies.
Then you must not be a fan of ANY Hollywood movie. Rarely do I find a movie that does not have some type of hidden agenda or an outright in your face agenda. It is refreshing to find one that does not.

Her - Netflix DVD - This is actually a complicated movie. I would not recommend this for the masses but then again not every movie appeals to everyone. If you look past the surface of the movie you can actually "think" about several concepts the movie touches on as well as the obvious ones. Both my kids wanted to watch the movie and both watched it separately. Had I watched it first I may have not let my 16yr old watch it, but that is a different story. He ended up not watching all of it, my 19yr old watched it and liked it. I actually did not know much about the movie except for watching a trailer or two. After watching the movie I can say that I liked it. It is very different than most of the movies I typically watch so it was good to break out and think for a change. Kind of makes you wonder what the guys at Apple and Microsoft are working on for the not so distant future. 3/5

Oh, I wanted to add that when I first heard Samantha I was drawn in by her voice, it has a playful, sexy nature about it. I knew I had heard it before but with all I could muster I just could not place it. When the credits rolled I had my Ah ha moment and it all fit.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.

Last edited by RTROSE; Yesterday at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added info
post #7954 of 7955 Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
Her - Netflix DVD - This is actually a complicated movie.
Spike Jonze does good stuff - very thoughtful film maker. Adaptation, Being John Malkovich, Where the Wild Things Are, and now Her. Her was not perfect, but I quite enjoyed it. Subtly atmospheric, carefully photographed, interesting art direction and costuming... I particularly like the careful craftsmanship of the digital cinematography.
post #7955 of 7955 Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Is it really over the top with the Global Warming thing?
No. Its the reason they're on the train, and the visuals out the windows, but the struggle is inside the train not outside.

Quote:
I'm not really a fan of the liberal Hollywood agenda movies.
Have you seen "Purge 2 Anarchy" ?

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #7956 of 7955 Old Today, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
Then you must not be a fan of ANY Hollywood movie. Rarely do I find a movie that does not have some type of hidden agenda or an outright in your face agenda. It is refreshing to find one that does not.
I'm actually not a lot of times.

Quote:
No. Its the reason they're on the train, and the visuals out the windows, but the struggle is inside the train not outside.

Have you seen "Purge 2 Anarchy" ?
Thanks for that. And no, I have not seen either of the Purge Movies (didn't even know there was a second). I'm intrigued by it, but know little about it.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Spy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page