AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post
Watched Snowpiercer (2013)
4.0/5 (amazon 3.3/5, imdb 7.0/10, rotten tomatoes 95%/76%, AVS Ralph Potts 4/5)
Set in a future where a failed climate-change experiment kills all life on the planet except for a lucky few who boarded the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe, where a class system emerges and a civil war erupts. “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”
I never saw any commercials on television for this. First I heard of it was on AVS.
Glad I bought it though.
126 minutes. $39 million budget.
Chris Evans, Ed Harris, John Hurt, Alison Pill (The Newsroom).
The plot is totally irrational. For example, there are eggs on the train, but no chickens; steaks, but no steers; bugs, but no source for them. A perpetual motion machine, enough said.
But it holds together somehow as a story. Lots of violence, indeed hack-and-slash throughout, although a lot of the gore is implied rather than actually seen.
Some people hate it. This guy liked it far more than it deserves.
Some polar opposite thoughts on the internet of what the ending meant. Was the earth warming enough for a polar bear, so it was warm enough for the survivors? Or did the few human survivors meet a creature that was going to eat them for food and that's the end of the human race.
Not a film I'm likely to drag out for the elderly relatives though.
I have been intrigued by this movie. Is it really over the top with the Global Warming thing? I'm not really a fan of the liberal Hollywood agenda movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7952 of 7966 Old 10-30-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I have been intrigued by this movie. Is it really over the top with the Global Warming thing? I'm not really a fan of the liberal Hollywood agenda movies.
Then you must not be a fan of ANY Hollywood movie. Rarely do I find a movie that does not have some type of hidden agenda or an outright in your face agenda. It is refreshing to find one that does not.

Her - Netflix DVD - This is actually a complicated movie. I would not recommend this for the masses but then again not every movie appeals to everyone. If you look past the surface of the movie you can actually "think" about several concepts the movie touches on as well as the obvious ones. Both my kids wanted to watch the movie and both watched it separately. Had I watched it first I may have not let my 16yr old watch it, but that is a different story. He ended up not watching all of it, my 19yr old watched it and liked it. I actually did not know much about the movie except for watching a trailer or two. After watching the movie I can say that I liked it. It is very different than most of the movies I typically watch so it was good to break out and think for a change. Kind of makes you wonder what the guys at Apple and Microsoft are working on for the not so distant future. 3/5

Oh, I wanted to add that when I first heard Samantha I was drawn in by her voice, it has a playful, sexy nature about it. I knew I had heard it before but with all I could muster I just could not place it. When the credits rolled I had my Ah ha moment and it all fit.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.

Last edited by RTROSE; 10-30-2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Added info
post #7953 of 7966 Old 10-30-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
Her - Netflix DVD - This is actually a complicated movie.
Spike Jonze does good stuff - very thoughtful film maker. Adaptation, Being John Malkovich, Where the Wild Things Are, and now Her. Her was not perfect, but I quite enjoyed it. Subtly atmospheric, carefully photographed, interesting art direction and costuming... I particularly like the careful craftsmanship of the digital cinematography.
post #7954 of 7966 Old 10-30-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Is it really over the top with the Global Warming thing?
No. Its the reason they're on the train, and the visuals out the windows, but the struggle is inside the train not outside.

Quote:
I'm not really a fan of the liberal Hollywood agenda movies.
Have you seen "Purge 2 Anarchy" ?

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #7955 of 7966 Old 10-31-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Then you must not be a fan of ANY Hollywood movie. Rarely do I find a movie that does not have some type of hidden agenda or an outright in your face agenda. It is refreshing to find one that does not.
I'm actually not a lot of times.

Quote:
No. Its the reason they're on the train, and the visuals out the windows, but the struggle is inside the train not outside.

Have you seen "Purge 2 Anarchy" ?
Thanks for that. And no, I have not seen either of the Purge Movies (didn't even know there was a second). I'm intrigued by it, but know little about it.
post #7956 of 7966 Old 11-02-2014, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956, BluRay)
3.9/5 (amazon 4.4/5, imdb 6.4/10, rotten tomatoes 71%/57%)
I don't think I've ever seen this before.
It was kind of neat. Extra-terrestrials flying in high-tech flying saucers contact scientist Dr. Russell Marvin (Hugh Marlowe) as part of a plan to enslave the inhabitants of Earth.
The BluRay offered the ability to watch it in color or black&white, so I watched it in black&white.
It's a Ray Harryhausen animation, with lots of flying saucers roaming all over the place, and eventually hitting all the tourist spots in Washington D.C.
The film gratifyingly violates one of the formulas of 1950s sci-fi cinema, or even the recent Godzilla film: it does not make the audience wait to see the alien nemesis, continually postponing a disappointing appearance, but exposes its first saucer within two minutes of the opening segment.

Played New Captain Scarlet
3.5/5 (amazon 4.8/5, imdb 7.7/10)
I liked the Thunderbirds (1965), disliked the remake Thunderbirds (2004).
I disliked the original 'Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons (1967)', but I've really been enjoying New Captain Scarlet (2005).
I saw a couple episodes on YouTube and they looked good, and I ordered the DVD set.
New Captain Scarlet is pretty much the same story, but this one is all CGI. The ships and action are great.
This show is arguably one of the best 'flat character TV shows' of recent years and gives Hollywood a run for its money.
Nice job by Gerry Anderson.
Set in 2068, Captain Scarlet presents the hostilities between Earth and a race of Martians known as the Mysterons. After human astronauts attack their city on Mars, the vengeful Mysterons declare war on Earth, initiating a series of reprisals that are countered by Spectrum, a worldwide security organization (alarmingly similar to S.H.I.E.L.D. including flying aircraft carrier of Sky Captain World Of Tomorrow but without the desperate acronym ). Spectrum boasts the extraordinary abilities of its primary agent, Captain Scarlet. During the events of the pilot episode, Scarlet acquires the Mysteron healing power of "retro-metabolism" and is thereafter considered to be virtually "indestructible", being able to recover fully from injuries that would normally be fatal.

Hmm, I see that "Thunderbirds Are Go!" will be a television series in the UK in 2015.

SIG ! (Spectrum Is Green! FAB for you Thunderbird Fans, or "Roger" or "Over and out" for everyone else)

Quote:
Gerry Anderson's classic cult 1960s TV series, 'Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons' is back on our screens in the most impressive animated series to hit kids' TV this century. Now called 'Gerry Anderson's New Captain Scarlet' it now uses motion-capture CGI instead of Puppets which gives each character much more believability and enables each episode to be packed with break-neck action and stunning visuals as well as breath-taking scenes,mind-blowing action and dramatic storylines in each 22-minute episode of Gerry Anderson's New Captain Scarlet it packs all the punch of a blockbuster movie. With production costs of $30 million across 26 episodes and produced in High Definition with Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound, New Captain Scarlet brings the cinema experience directly into the home. When a mysterious extraterrestrial signal is detected emanating from Mars, the world security organization known as Spectrum sends agents Captain Scarlet and Captain Black to investigate. The two men soon discover the source of the signals: a huge alien city, which materializes into visibility before their startled eyes. The aliens dispatch a probe to examine the Earth vehicle, but Black assumes it to be hostile, and fires a burst of missiles which utterly destroys the entire city. However, the alien buildings immediately reform using an unearthly process known as retro-metabolism, and the city's inhabitants, the Mysterons, immediately retaliate by killing Black and declaring war on Earth. The Mysterons are able convert anyone or anything to their cause by destroying the original and then recreating it as a new, 'Mysteronised' agent - capable of employing any means necessary to bring about the downfall of the human race. From Spectrum's high-flying center of operations, Skybase, its leader, Colonel White, uses all available resources to thwart the Mysteron threat, including a crack team of colour-coded agents; the sleek but deadly Angel Interceptors, also known as Falcons; the tank-like Rhinos; and the ultra-fast Raid bikes. One of Spectrum's top agents is Captain Scarlet; once a Mysteron agent, Scarlet was able to throw off his conditioning and regain his sense of loyalty to Spectrum, with the added bonus that he is now indestructible. Fearless in his mission to protect Earth, Captain Scarlet is aided by the brave and intelligent Captain Blue, and together they attempt to defeat the menace of the Mysterons.

Grant Ward: Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division.
Maria: And what does that mean to you?
Ward: It means someone really wanted our initials to spell out "shield."

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.

Last edited by BasementBob; 11-02-2014 at 04:17 AM.
post #7957 of 7966 Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

We watched "Transformers: Age of Extinction"

Ugh. These movies are LONG. I liked Mark Wahlberg and the whole premise. But they could have cut an hour out of it easy.

I give it a 3/5. Maybe a little lower.
post #7958 of 7966 Old 11-08-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Tora Tora Tora (149 minute Extended Japanese Edition)
4/5 (amazon 4.7/5, imdb 7.5/10)
Running length:
2 hr 17 min (137 min) (UK)
2 hr 24 min (144 min)
2 hr 29 min (149 min) (Japan)
2 hr 40 min (160 min) (Extended Japanese Edition 2009)
Comparison of 145 seconds of the differences between the 144 and 149 minute version: http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=431099
Fox intended that the film would be both historically accurate and balanced. To achieve that balance, Fox arranged for American and Japanese producers and directors to film their accounts of the Japanese attack independently and then blended both accounts into one story. For greater realism, Fox wisely chose to exclude top film stars, such as Charlton Heston or John Wayne, and selected a cast of fine character actors for the American and Japanese roles in the film. The American account appears to have been largely drawn from Professor Gordon W. Prange's authoritative history "At Dawn we slept" and does not shy away from depicting the succession of blunders that should have alerted the American armed forces in Hawaii to the approaching danger.

Watched Battle Beneath the Earth (1967)
2.9/5 (amazon 4.2/5, imdb 4.5/10)
I hadn't seen this in decades -- after about 15 minutes I thought 'I wonder if this is the one where ...' and low and behold it was.
A Chinese general has a system of tunnels dug all the way from China to USA, under the Pacific Ocean! The american PhD who discovers the invasion, is arrested and committed to a mental institution. Wherever there is an important base or city, the general places atomic bombs. US soldiers go underground to repel the invaders.

Watched Ultimate Warrior (1975)
2.7/5 (amazon 4.2/5, imdb 4.5/10)
Yul Brynner, a young-ish Max von Sydow.
I don't think I'd ever seen this one before.
2012 is a brutal place where cannibalism is rumored to be happening. In the immediate story you have the Baron (Max Von Sydow) the leader of one such community trying to stave death. Against them are the savage group led by Carrot (B-movie Legend William Smith). Into this mix comes a killer for hire named Carson (Yul Brynner). He throws his lot in with the Baron and ultimately is asked to take the Baron's pregnant daughter and the surviving crop seeds to an island Carson knows of off of North Carolina.
Von Sydow turns in his usual measured but good performance.

Last edited by BasementBob; 11-08-2014 at 07:30 PM.
post #7959 of 7966 Old 11-09-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Love Love Love Tora Tora Tora now that you have brought it up BB I'll have to watch it again.

Edge of Tomorrow - Netflix DVD - I went in thinking that it would be just a ho hum type of movie watching experience and I was very pleasantly surprised. I thought overall the story line was very well developed and not near as many holes as most "time travel" movie plots have. This is kind of like Groundhog Day with a lot more action and explosions. I did think that they could have done a much better job of the Mimic creatures as the looked like they were almost an afterthought and their action so fast that is was on the verge of being distracting. It is curious that the director spent more on developing the characters of all the secondary players than he did of the two main characters but I'm sure he had his reasons for that. As BB said earlier it would have been interesting to see just how many times he relived the day but I would say they left something like that out so the viewer could leave that to their own reasoning. Watched this on my 42in plasma so no thoughts on audio. I'm guessing this would be pretty good on BR and on my big screen. Might just have to pick this one up. 3.5/5

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #7960 of 7966 Old 11-09-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Love Love Love
Battlestar Galactica (1978) - Love Love Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=VzFVjeaXCgQ
post #7961 of 7966 Old 11-09-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Love Love Love Tora Tora Tora now that you have brought it up BB I'll have to watch it again.

Edge of Tomorrow - Netflix DVD - I went in thinking that it would be just a ho hum type of movie watching experience and I was very pleasantly surprised. I thought overall the story line was very well developed and not near as many holes as most "time travel" movie plots have. This is kind of like Groundhog Day with a lot more action and explosions. I did think that they could have done a much better job of the Mimic creatures as the looked like they were almost an afterthought and their action so fast that is was on the verge of being distracting. It is curious that the director spent more on developing the characters of all the secondary players than he did of the two main characters but I'm sure he had his reasons for that. As BB said earlier it would have been interesting to see just how many times he relived the day but I would say they left something like that out so the viewer could leave that to their own reasoning. Watched this on my 42in plasma so no thoughts on audio. I'm guessing this would be pretty good on BR and on my big screen. Might just have to pick this one up. 3.5/5

Regards,

RTROSE
The audio is spectacular, probably the best mix I've heard this year. It also includes this moment, quoting Ralph Potts review:

Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
Quote:
I would recommend not starting out with reference volume levels as there is a sweeping seven to ten second low frequency tone right at the opening (about 30 seconds or so into the film) that reaches down deep and literally shook my room and beyond (my neighbor in the house next door texted me inquiring as to “what the heck was that!?”). It sounded so good I played it back three or four times. This could certainly be problematic for smaller subwoofers so use caution.
I played at our usual listening level, my wife came running downstairs freaked out over the sound and the vibration it caused. Good times .

Looky here!
post #7962 of 7966 Old 11-09-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

A list of War Movies (pre November 11th -- not for the hour you're at the public gathering with your poppy showing the veterans and the news channels that you remember)

12 O'clock High
49th Parallel
A Bridge Too Far
A Midnight Clear
A Walk in the Sun
All Quiet on the Western Front
Apocalypse now
Band of Brothers
Battle of Britain
Battle of the Bulge
Battle of the River Platte
Beneath Hill 60
Big Red One
Blackhawk down
Blue Max
Breaker Morant
Bridge at Remagen
Bridge Over the River Kwai
Captains of the Clouds
Cross of Iron
Cruel Sea
Dam Busters
Das Boot
Defiance
Desert Fox
Desert Rats
Devil's Brigade
Dirty Dozen
Divided We Fall
Downfall
Empire of the Sun
Enemy at the Gates
Flags of our Fathers
Flyboys
Full Metal Jacket
Gallipoli
Great Escape
Green Berets
Grey Zone
Guns at Batasi
Guns of Navarone
Hamburger Hill
Hell is for Heroes
Hope and Glory
Ice Cold in Alex
In Harms Way
In Which We Serve
Inglourious Basterds
K225 (1943)
Kanal (1956)
Kelly's Heroes
Korengal
Lawrence of Arabia
Letters From Io Jima
Longest Day
Mars na Drinu
Memphis Belle (1943, 1990)
Midway
Pacific
Paths of Glory
Patton
Pianist
Platoon
Red Baron
Restrepo
Run silent run deep
Sailor of the King
Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List
Sea of Sand
Sink The Bismark
Stalingrad (1993)
Submarine X-1
Target For Tonight
Thin red line
Tobruk
Tora Tora Tora
Tunes of Glory
Tuskegee Airman
Victory from Above
Warhorse
We Were Soldiers
When Trumpets Fade
Where Eagles Dare
Which Way Is The Front Line From Here
Windtalkers
Winter War (1989)
Wooden Horse
post #7963 of 7966 Old 11-10-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Battlestar Galactica (1978) - Love Love Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=VzFVjeaXCgQ
Haha.....You have a knack for finding obscure stuff on you tube. The thing is when Battlestar Galactica was in its first run I vaguely remember this scene. As a kid of 8 I found the "ladies" that were singing somewhat disturbing.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #7964 of 7966 Old 11-11-2014, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched Streets Of Fire (1984) [german bluray]
Played Streets Of Fire (1984) [HDDVD]
Played Streets Of Fire (1984) [DVD]
3.7/5(amazon 4.5/5, imdb 6.7/10, rotten tomatoes 70%)

I've been phasing out my HDDVDs wherever possible, and I saw that there was a bluray version of this from germany that is region free (amazon says it's Region 2, but elsewhere it says its region 1 and 2, and it works in Region 1 players).

The german BluRay version:
- has an english soundtrack in DTS-HD Master Audio, but the mix is a little off for voices making them a wee bit harder to understand than they should be, but the real problem with the audio is the music which has the instruments turned down and the voice up leaving it a lesser dance music rock-n-roll than it should be.
- the video is very clear, with hair and faces very recognizable, but is missing the depth of colour that it should have.

As some of you may know, the DVD version of this's video is red saturated and fuzzy and barely better than VHS, but the audio is fine.

The best version of this seems to still be the HDDVD version, giving clear video with the correct rich colours but without the excessive red saturation of the DVD, and the audio is mixed well to make you want to get up and swing your hips.

My goodness Willem Dafoe is young in this.

Last edited by BasementBob; 11-11-2014 at 02:10 AM.
post #7965 of 7966 Old 11-22-2014, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched Sailor of the King (1953)
2.9/5 (amazon 4.2/5, imdb 6.9/10)
Jeffrey Hunter stars as a Canadian sailor serving on a British warship who battles single-handedly to delay a large German World War II warship long enough for three smaller Royal Navy vessels to bring it to battle.
A 1953 war film based on the novel Brown on Resolution by C. S. Forester (writer of Horatio Hornblower).
Jeffrey Hunter (Star Trek Captain Christopher Pike 1966), and Michael Rennie (The Day the Earth Stood Still 1951).
The first act is during WWI, where a young Lieutenant Richard Saville meets and falls in love with Miss Lucinda Bentley on the train to London. Circumstances confound, and they wind up in love and separate.
The second act is during WWII, where Rear admiral of the blue Richard Saville is in command of three warships on convoy duty. Due to fuel restrictions he sends two fully fueled warships in pursuit of a large warship the German raider Essen that has just sunk another merchantman. The two British ships get separated, and one engages the Essen which has a 5000 foot range advantage and sinks the slower smaller British warship that gets off a lucky torpedo hit on the Essen. There are two survivors, one of which is Jeffrey Hunter who is picked up by the Essen and briefly interrogated.
Hunter is the son of a mother keen on the navy and thus knows more about naval tactics, strategy and gunnery than most of his rank, and his years growing up in Canada after his mother left England shortly after WWI have left him with superior marksmanship skills.
The third act the Essen harbors at a deserted island for repairs, and Hunter escapes with a rifle.
He then proceeds to pick off sailors working on the repairs, leading the Essen’s captain to use his ship's AA guns and then big guns in vain attempts to dislodge Hunter. Finally he sends a party of marines out to hunt Hunter down, but just as they are about to kill him, they are recalled and the Essen departs. Brown collapses, seriously wounded and dehydrated. As the Essen leaves the lagoon, she is caught and sunk by Saville's remaining force. One of her survivors informs the British of Hunter's exploits, which delayed repairs for 18 hours, thus enabling the British to catch up with them. A landing party is sent ashore from Saville's force to find Brown.
Back in England, the king gives Hunter the Victoria Cross. It's implied, but not clear, that Hunter is Saville's son by way of Miss Lucinda Bentley, but neither may ever discover this.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Spy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page