Now Showing - What We Watched - Page 267 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7981 of 7987 Old 12-21-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Guardians of the Galaxy - BR - Well I went in thinking I would not really like the movie, but ended up being pleasantly surprised by this one. I watched it on my "little" 42 in plasma in the family room but the night before my son had some buddies over and they watched it in the theater. I told them I really wanted to see it but they did not even invite me to watch it with them in my OWN theater. Hahaha........from what I heard there was a lot of very potent LFE in the movie. I will say a couple of things. Loved the sound track to the movie, really did not go with the sci-fi vibe of the movie but somehow it totally worked. Loved Rockets character as well as Groot. I don't care what color Zoe Saldana is she is absolutely beautiful and I think she did an excellent job with her character. So not really thinking I would think much of this Marvel creation I was pleasantly surprised. 3.5/5 Maybe even higher if I had watched in my theater.

Into the Storm - DVD Netflix - This was just the opposite for me. I was really looking forward to this one and really thought that I would be totally impressed and thrilled with the film. However this film for me was a complete train wreck. The special effects were top notch but the film was so predictable and all over the place it was just a complete mess. There were not any of the characters that for me were ever developed and the two crazy Jacka$$ knockoffs were completely distracting (and I actually rooted for them to get sucked up into a tornado which predictably happens) and were just completely out of place in the movie. This is not to mention the meteorologist who is along to support and direct the team that for the life of her can't do what meteorologists do unless she is getting live weather reports and updates. Sheesh. Not to mention all of the other inconsistencies like a huge international airport next to a small town, and the entire town being able to fit in a storm shelter in the high school (an absolutely horrendous place to put a storm shelter considering the way most schools are built now and I could go on and on and well you get the idea. Terrible, terrible, terrible. 2/5

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7982 of 7987 Old 12-21-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2398 Post(s)
Liked: 704
But, if the sound of the twisters is loud and powerful with lots of bass...is that good reason enough to spend money just for the hi-res auditory ride?
post #7983 of 7987 Old 12-21-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
But, if the sound of the twisters is loud and powerful with lots of bass...is that good reason enough to spend money just for the hi-res auditory ride?
Well I did forget to mention that I watched this on my little set as well (kids were playing Smash Bros. and hogging MY theater again) so I can't comment on the surround sound/LFE in the movie as my little set is TV only sound. I'm hoping that will change eventually but as it's set up right now surround sound is a little Impractical. So you might be entirely correct as this being a must have for the sound/LFE.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #7984 of 7987 Old 12-21-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I see. ...And Ralph's review has the emphasis on the audio, indeed .... 'Into the Storm' on Blu-ray.
post #7985 of 7987 Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Watched Wing Commander (1999, BluRay)
3/5 (amazon 2.8/5, imdb 3.8/10, rotten tomatoes 26%)
I've had this on DVD for a while, and got the BluRay a couple weeks ago.
Video: The BluRay is wide screen (2.35:1), and the video crystal clear with very good colour -- I think it is much better video than the DVD, but I haven't put the DVD in to double check.
Ignoring that it's actually a submarine/aircraft-carrier movie set in space where the technology port doesn't make any sense whatsoever, the pilgram genetic religion background and the Kzin like Kilrathi and quasar hopping is a bit of fun. Based on the video game. The ending has some similarities to Honorverse (David Weber) terminus defense.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #7986 of 7987 Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Very very early this morning I watched this, on Blu ::

* A true gem, a real masterpiece. ...Don't miss it! ...Directed by a genius, and acted by another genius.
post #7987 of 7987 Old Today, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Earth to Echo - Netflix DVD - Had no idea about this movie going in. Nothing too over the top spectacular but a really cute family movie that most tweens would be very content to watch. This is one of those movies that is basically safe to show in a completely mixed family environment and won't offend anyone. Has a good message about friendship can hold no matter the circumstances. 3/5

@ BB I remember watching Wing Commander several years ago and enjoying it. Not as much a cult classic as say Stormship Troopers, but a good film in its own right. I as well as you was confused on some of the "science" but most of the time I can let science go for enjoyment factor.

Regards,

RTROSE

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Spy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page