Now Showing - What We Watched - Page 268 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #8011 of 8021 Old 01-09-2015, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Or somebody that did a quick conversion because I couldn't get x264 DTS to stream through my bluray player and I really wanted to watch the movie

Watched Tron:Legacy last night. I've always loved that movie, and I saw it in a new light last night. Even with my budget build theatre it was stunning. I may watch it again tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 8021 Old 01-09-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric the Ricer View Post
Or somebody that did a quick conversion because I couldn't get x264 DTS to stream through my bluray player and I really wanted to watch the movie

Watched Tron:Legacy last night. I've always loved that movie, and I saw it in a new light last night. Even with my budget build theatre it was stunning. I may watch it again tonight.
Why not just watch the bluray with your bluray player then?

Looky here!
post #8013 of 8021 Old 01-09-2015, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2854 Post(s)
Liked: 943
I watched 'Get On Up' on Blu-ray last night. ...I enjoyed it.

* I'll watch the special features one day.
post #8014 of 8021 Old 01-21-2015, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Watched Lucy
3.7/5 (amazon 3.3/5, imdb 6.4/10, rotten tomatoes 47%, AVS Ralph Potts: 3.5/5)
Rated R for strong violence, disturbing images, and scenes with Scarlett Johansson walking and breathing (aka scenes of sexuality).
Directed by Luc Besson (Leon the Professional, The Fifth Element, Taken, Transporter, Taxi, No Limit, District 13, etc)
Exactly what I had expected from the television previews, and the various comments (like below). Girl develops supernatural powers and wanders around using them.
The National Geographic 'flashback' scenes through time and space rather took me out of the plot, and the 'science' of 10% of the brain and up is both debunked and fiction so it was difficult to listen to Morgan Freeman utter those words. Actually I don't think I liked any scene Morgan Freeman was in in this, although he did it well.
Scarlett Johansson's acting was a bit weak in my opinion, but easily watchable. Supposedly she had a chart of 'senses/emotions at each brain power percentage' and tried to act relative to that, but if she did I didn't notice it. Makes me a bit worried about if she'll carry the upcoming Black Widow movie.
Min-sik Choi was perfect as the bad guy. No complaints possible about his performance.
Amr Waked, as the policeman, was also excellent.
Her abilities and transformation are all entertaining. The triple plot (drug trafficker revenge, evolution retaining knowledge, history of life) never fell apart in any too bad ways.
The action sequences are all well done. It was shot on location in Taiwan, France, with a little bit in Germany.
Overall a pleasant popcorn flick.

Parental Guide, Kids in Mind
Quote:
Yeah, I knew that the film had a stupid premise (at this point, every school kid knows that humans use their entire brain unless the brain is damaged), but I was willing to suspend disbelief (and disregard all of the online reviews which said how awful this film was) in order to watch what I thought would be "Limitless" with a beautiful female lead. What a mistake! If you loved "Limitless" (as I did) and expect anything remotely as clever, witty, and believable will play out here, you will be immensely disappointed. First, the dialogue is almost non-existent (save for Morgan Freeman's dire predictions about what a fully realised human mind can do). Seriously, almost no one else speaks. Second, in terms of the effects of the drug, it's more "Inception" than "Limitless." Freeman's character never explains why humans would become gods by fully accessing their brains (or why, as he proposes, if dolphins can access 20% of their brains, their cannot control the minds of other marine life as Lucy does with other humans when she reaches 20%. Clearly, no dolphin would ever be eaten by a shark if they could practice mind control). Nothing in this film makes even movie-sense. Third, I know this is a stupid point and a matter of taste, but Scarlett isn't looking so hot these days. If I'm going to be sold a movie based primarily on the lead's good looks, she needs to look better than my Chilis waitress. Lastly, the ending left me cold. It was so unsatisfying on so many levels. Spoiler: after acquiring all of the knowledge in the universe and witnessing the Big Bang, she transforms into black goo before ultimately disappearing into "everywhere." Freeman then states that she has discovered the true meaning of life. Huh? Did I miss that part? She had pronounced some mumbo-jumbo about how time, not mathematics or science, defines the universe, but how in the world is that the meaning of life? God? Gods? Afterlife? Reason for existence? Nope, just time. God, this was stupid. And never mind the fact that half of Paris is destroyed because the one person Lucy couldn't kill in cold blood is the drug lord who inserted the package within her when she had the chance back in Asia. We're supposed to cheer for this character who has no real purpose, no real personality, and who ultimately changes nothing. The world before Lucy's transformation is exactly the same as the world after her metamorphosis, with the exception of the many dead French cafe patrons, police, and the destruction of beautiful French buildings. I actually wanted the Chinese mobster to win in the end because she had caused so much pain and suffering for nothing. This is one of the worst nonAdam Sandler I have seen. Watch only if you wish to appreciate "Limitless" more.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.

Last edited by BasementBob; 01-21-2015 at 07:04 PM.
post #8015 of 8021 Old 01-21-2015, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Me too, I watched 'Lucy'

Really enjoyed it overall.
post #8016 of 8021 Old 01-21-2015, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Played The Fog (1980)
3/5 (amazon 4.4/5, imdb 6.8/10, rotten tomatoes 64%)
A while back I was looking at a list of John Carpenter movies, and it occurred to me that I hadn't seen 'The Fog' and 'In The Mouth Of Madness', or if I had I couldn't remember them.
Neither did too well at the box office, but both seem to show up on various top 100 lists.
The video of the BluRay was fine.
Adrienne Barbeau, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tom Atkins, Janet Leigh and Hal Holbrook
An ok little film. Wasn't expecting much, and got a B movie.
Carpenter finished principle photography, edited and watched it, and went back and reshot 1/3 of the movie to make it better, then released it for the frist time.
Quote:
As the coastal town of Antonio Bay is about to celebrate its centennial, strange phenomena occur. Objects move by themselves, machines turn themselves on, and all the public payphones ring simultaneously. Priest Father Malone is in his church when a piece of stone falls from the wall revealing a cavity. Inside is an old journal, his grandfather's diary from a century ago. Malone removes the journal which reveals that, in 1880, six of the founders of Antonio Bay (including Malone's grandfather) deliberately sank and plundered a clipper ship named the Elizabeth Dane. The ship was owned by Blake, a wealthy man with leprosy who wanted to establish a colony near Antonio Bay. One foggy night, the six conspirators lit a fire on the beach near treacherous rocks. The ship's crew, deceived by the false beacon, crashed into the rocks and perished. The conspirators were motivated by both greed and disgust at the notion of having a leper colony nearby. Antonio Bay and its church were then founded with the gold plundered from the ship.
A supernaturally glowing fog appears over the sea, moving against the wind. An old clipper ship appears in the unnatural fog. It is the Elizabeth Dane carrying the vengeful ghosts of Blake and his crew, who have come back on the hundredth anniversary of the shipwreck.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #8017 of 8021 Old 01-21-2015, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Played In the Mouth Of Madness (1994)
1.8/5 (amazon 4.1/5, imdb 7.4/10, rotten tomatoes 47%/73%)
I think I may have seen this before. A few attempts to be creepy, but it was easy to ignore while I went and did other things.

post #8018 of 8021 Old 01-21-2015, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post
Played The Fog (1980)
3/5 (amazon 4.4/5, imdb 6.8/10, rotten tomatoes 64%)
There are two "The Fog" movies (the 1980 original, and the 2005 remake). I preferred the 1980 one.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (110Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #8019 of 8021 Old 01-21-2015, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Always wanted to jump into this game, although I am horrible at "in depth" type reviews.

Finally got around to buying "remastered" blu-ray versions of Gladiator (Ridley Scott) and 5th Element (Luc Besson). Previously had both on DVD, but wanted to go blu-ray for my newly installed projection system. Also grabbed "Inception" (Christoper Nolan) at the same time.

Gladiator and Inception arrived together. I wanted to make sure I received the "good" version (there is an earlier blu-ray that is a bad transfer) so I popped it in to my den TV. Gladiator is one of those movies that I can't stop watching. Instead of the big screen, I ended up watching the entire movie on the TV. As always, it was great. The blu-ray version is really nice.

Two nights later I was able to sit down in the projection screen room. Popped in "Inception." I haven't seen this one in a while. Blu-ray transfer is top notch and it looks great on a big screen.

The first time I saw Inception, the twists and turns were a little hard to follow. When they go multiple levels deep, it can be difficult to keep track.

Inception is a good movie that tries something different than the standard Hollywood formula. Some good performances and an interesting story.

This time around it seemed easier to understand. I guess it is the kind of movie you need to see more than once. The ending is still a bit of a puzzle, but it is supposed to be. I still feel more confident in guessing what it means than the first time around.

Funny, but first time around I didn't realize Christopher Nolan was the director. When Michael Caine shows up, I started thinking "Alfred" from the Batman movies... then I made the mental leap to Nolan and realized that the movies didn't just share a few actors, they also (on some level) had a bit of a similar feel.

This weekend, the blu-ray version of Fifth Element is in the plan. That's a fun movie - can't wait to see it on the big screen.
post #8020 of 8021 Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Yeah, I didn't really understand Inception until the second time through either.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC64ii, SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4, SUB: PSA T-18 x 2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #8021 of 8021 Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

One can warm up for Inception (2010) by watching The Thirteenth Floor (1999).
post #8022 of 8021 Unread Today, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post
One can warm up for Inception (2010) by watching The Thirteenth Floor (1999).
♦ Great Flick.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Spy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page