Now Showing - What We Watched - Page 269 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #8041 of 8065 Old 02-15-2015, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Watched Gone Girl
3.8/5 (amazon 3.8/5, imdb 8.2/10, rotten tomatoes 88%, AVS Ralph Potts: 4/5)
I've had this in my queue for a while. It was better than I thought it was going to be.
Once I discovered what she did for a living it was predictable but still enjoyable, even well crafted, except the last minute which is awful.
No big surprise, its said the book is better.
Casting Missi Pyle (alien Laliari of Galaxy Quest (1999)) as CNN Nancy Grace alike, although it did reflect the zero integrity outrage of the actual show (one day outraged against, the next in favour but outraged against something peripheral, the next in favour of the peripheral but outraged...) -- Missi Pyle has been in lots of things but I only ever see Laliari.
(It didn't suffer from a lack of space ships or time travel)
Budget $61 million. Gross: $367 million.
Quote:
There was nothing wrong with David Fincher's directing, the acting, or cinematography or any other production aspect... But, DAMN, if that wasn't the most disappointing ending to an otherwise satisfying film. The way it ended just left me wanting for new, yet un-invented expletives to shout in expression of my disappointment as to how it ended.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.

Last edited by BasementBob; 02-15-2015 at 04:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8042 of 8065 Old 02-15-2015, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched Automata (2014)
2.2/5 (amazon 3/5, imdb 6.1/10, rotten tomatoes 31%)
I've had this in my queue for a while. It was worse than I thought it was going to be.
In a future where Earth's ecosystem verges on collapse (population of earth: 21 million), man-made robots roam the city, building to protect dwindling human life. When a robot overrides a key protocol put in place to protect human life, ROC Robotics insurance agent Jacq Vaucan (Antonio Banderas) is assigned to locate the source of the manipulation and eliminate the threat. What he discovers leads Vaucan, ROC Robotics security and the police into a melee.
The point explored in the movie is that although evolution took life billions of years, robots would evolve beyond us in days if we let them and then beyond that exponentially.
Unlike Isaac Asimov's three rules of robotics (plus the zeroth rule), here these robots have two unalterable 'protocols': they can not harm any form of life, and they may not modify themselves or other robots. In the opening minutes we see robots modifying themselves, and the game is afoot.
Budget $7 million.
Antonio Banderas, Robert Forester.
Melanie Griffith, divorced June 2014 from Antonio Banderas, was barely recognizable due to her bad plastic surgery, identifiable primarily by her voice.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #8043 of 8065 Old 02-15-2015, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry for no links.

I watched a few good movies this week in my theater.

1. Fury--I really liked this movie. War movies usually aren't my style, but this was well done. Very cinematic and lots of tense war scenes.
Audio:8/10

2. The Book of Life--This was my favorite out of all that I watched. Extremely good visually with lots of color and vibrant scenes. Story was very well written and it was just the right length, about 1:35:00 I think.
Audio and Visual:10/10

3. Tusk--Very strange. I like Kevin Smith(Director/writer) a lot, but even this was a little off the wall for me. Almost to a comedic level. But I'm sure this was trying to be accomplished any way. Misery meets The Human Centipede is the best I can explain this.
Audio:4/10

4. Blow--One of my all time favorite movies. Cant go wrong with this one in my opinion. Great story and characters. One of Johnny Depp's best I think.
Audio:7/10
post #8044 of 8065 Old 02-16-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post
Watched Gone Girl
3.8/5 (amazon 3.8/5, imdb 8.2/10, rotten tomatoes 88%, AVS Ralph Potts: 4/5)
I've had this in my queue for a while. It was better than I thought it was going to be.
Once I discovered what she did for a living it was predictable but still enjoyable, even well crafted, except the last minute which is awful.
No big surprise, its said the book is better.
Casting Missi Pyle (alien Laliari of Galaxy Quest (1999)) as CNN Nancy Grace alike, although it did reflect the zero integrity outrage of the actual show (one day outraged against, the next in favour but outraged against something peripheral, the next in favour of the peripheral but outraged...) -- Missi Pyle has been in lots of things but I only ever see Laliari.
Budget $61 million. Gross: $367 million.
We just watched Gone Girl last night too. I'd already had the ending ruined for me, but I really enjoyed the film. I didn't mind the ending either, or at least I can see the unknown/unsatisfying questions being the intent.
post #8045 of 8065 Old 02-16-2015, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 71
watched Lucy http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2872732/ with friends yesterday. Very entertaining movie we though.
post #8046 of 8065 Old 02-17-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post

Watched Predestination (2014)
3/5 (amazon 3.8/5, imdb 7.5/10, rotten tomatoes 76%, AVS Ralph Potts: 4/5)
Story about someone from Space Corp who travels through time.
Predestination chronicles the life of a Temporal Agent sent on an intricate series of time-travel journeys designed to ensure the continuation of his law enforcement career for all eternity. Now, on his final assignment, the Agent must pursue the one criminal that has eluded him throughout time.
From the 1958 short story 'All You Zombies' by Robert Heinlein where Heinlein isn't talking about current movie Walking Dead, but rather the older definition 'person(s) who moves at slower speeds and is not aware of what is happening' which in this case is everyone other than the protagonist.
Wasn't what I was expecting from the previews, but I knew what they were doing about half way through.
It's not as exciting as Looper (2012), and the whole thing can be expressed in a classic time paradox short story, so it moves slower than I wanted particularly the first hour which wasn't entertaining.
Every detail is important to critical, from the lighter, to her not looking in the mirror.
Ethan Hawke was good. Sarah Snook was good until she got into makeup.
I think it's safe to say this is a movie about character development.
Trivia: When the protagonist reapplies to Space Corp as an astronaut, the doctor who examines the protagonist closely resembles Robert Heinlein, the author of the short story source for the film, and is listed as Dr. Heinlein in the credits.

Last edited by BasementBob; 02-17-2015 at 03:36 PM.
post #8047 of 8065 Old 02-17-2015, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Had a great weekend full of movies:
Friday Night....

Watched "The Judge" (2014) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1872194/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Robert Downey, Jr / Robert Duvall

"Big city lawyer Hank Palmer returns to his childhood home where his father, the town's judge, is suspected of murder. Hank sets out to discover the truth and, along the way, reconnects with his estranged family."

In some ways, a predictable plot line. There is enough variety to the plot that you don't feel like you have seen the movie a hundred times.

Great performances by Downey and Duvall. Duvall is amazing, as always. I understand this movie earned him the distinction of being the oldest person to be nominated for a best supporting actor Oscar.

Some odd plot points which are hard to explain without being spoilers. Suffice to say that a few scenes and actions in the movie may have you scratching your head as to how they fit into the movie and serve the plot. Not enough to ruin the movie, but enough to take what could have been "great" movie and make it simply "pretty good." Sometimes the movie carries the actors, sometimes the actors carry the movie - this one is the latter case.

I had a free PPV coupon from Dish and this was the best available option.

Worth a watch, but probably best to wait until it is on you favorite cable movie channel. IMO, not worth buying the disk or spending money on a PPV.
post #8048 of 8065 Old 02-17-2015, 07:06 PM

Saturday Night...

Watched Prometheus (2012) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/?ref_=nv_sr_1

3D Blu-Ray version

"Following clues to the origin of mankind a team journey across the universe and find a structure on a distant planet containing a monolithic statue of a humanoid head and stone cylinders of alien blood but they soon find they are not alone."

This is a Ridley Scott big budget Sci-Fi flick set in the "Alien" universe.

I originally saw this movie a while back and was underwhelmed. I have seen bits an pieces of it since then and it always ends up drawing me in. For some reason, this one has grown on me. I got a good price of the 3D blu-ray so decided to take the plunge.

The 3D version does add a nice visual effect to the movie. It is not an over the top effect. The only time I really noticed it was when David is watching Lawrence of Arabia near the beginning of the movie. Not only was the movie in 3D, but so was the movie in the movie. Kind of surreal to see all those "layers" at once.

There are definitely some - what I like to call - "horror movie" moments in this one. By that I mean stupid things that characters do which really make you wonder if they have a brain.

Putting those typical movie moments aside, this is a fun movie to watch. Visuals and special effects are great. Naomi Rapace and Micheal Fassbender turn in some very good performances. A few good plots twists and enough unresolved items to make way for a sequel (expected in 2016).

Worth a watch.
post #8049 of 8065 Old 02-17-2015, 07:23 PM

Sunday night...

Watched Limitless (2011) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219289/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Blu-Ray "unrated" version (Theatrical and unrated are on the same disc)

"With the help of a mysterious pill that enables the user to access 100 percent of his brain abilities, a struggling writer becomes a financial wizard, but it also puts him in a new world with lots of dangers."

Eddie Morra (Bradley Cooper) is a struggling writer who isn't doing much writing. He gets access to a drug which lets him access 100% of his brain making him instantly uber-smart.

When this movie first came out, I wanted to see it. It seemed to disappear quickly and I ended up forgetting about it. Recently found the blu-ray for about $5 and went for it.

I read some reviews and a main complaint is that the claim "we only use 10% of our brain" has been debunked. Thus, the entire premise of the movie is flawed. That doesn't bother me because a) I like the premise for a movie plot and b) it is still a better premise than many other movies.

The real problem is this... someone as smart as the main character doesn't exist. That means there is no one who could write a script to understand that character.

With a movie like this, you already start off with a suspension of disbelief. When the "smartest man in the world" does some things which are pretty dumb - like end up on the front page of the newspaper for being so smart - it stretches the premise a bit too far for my tastes.

Bradley Cooper does a good job. DeNiro is DeNiro... it is odd seeing him play what is basically a Gordon Gecko character. The man does have range.

There is a nice balance of action and drama. I wouldn't call this a predictable movie - you are never sure where it will end up.

As mentioned, the premise is stretched thin a few times. If you can overlook that, this is an enjoyable movie.
post #8050 of 8065 Old 02-17-2015, 07:36 PM

Last one...

Blended (2014) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1086772/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Adam Sandler / Drew Barrymore

"After a bad blind date, a man and woman find themselves stuck together at a resort for families, where their attraction grows as their respective kids benefit from the burgeoning relationship."

I had been trying to avoid this movie. Not sure why, but I figured it was just another re-hash of 50 first dates. With nothing else to watch, I was too lazy to get up and grab the remote from across the room. That's when Blended came on the screen.

If you don't like Adam Sandler humor (I usually do) then stay far away from this movie. It is more of Sandler doing what he does. Oddly, I don't recall seeing Rob Schneider make an appearance.

The plot is predictable. Two single parent go on a disastrous blind date. Fate brings them together and they eventually connect. Thirty seconds into the movie you know exactly how it will end.

In between that first 30 seconds and then, however, there are some pretty funny scenes. Amazing ridiculous things happen. Shaquille O'Neal shows up and delivers some funny lines. Absurd, ridiculous, stupid... all valid terms. But all funny.

Drew Barrymore is great in this. Sure, it may not be an Oscar winning performance, but she creates such a fun and likable character it is impossible not to like her in this movie.

I won't say this ranks as one of the top 100 films of all time. But it is still worth a watch. It is a good piece of mind-candy. Just turn off that rational/intellectual part of your brain for 117 minutes and roll with it.
post #8051 of 8065 Old 02-18-2015, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post
Watched Prometheus (2012)

Now that you've seen it, you might enjoy an interpretation:
Prometheus 2012-06-15
post #8052 of 8065 Old 02-18-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched Nightcrawler (2014)
2.8/5 (amazon 4.1/5, imdb 8.0/10, rotten tomatoes 87%, AVS Ralph Potts: 4.5/5)
Nightcrawler is set in the nocturnal underbelly of contemporary Los Angeles. Jake Gyllenhaal stars as Lou Bloom, a driven young man desperate for work who discovers the high-speed world of L.A. crime journalism. Finding a group of freelance camera crews who film crashes, fires, murder and other mayhem, Lou muscles into the cut-throat, dangerous realm of nightcrawling - where each police siren wail equals a possible windfall and victims are converted into dollars and cents. Aided by Rene Russo as Nina, a veteran of the blood-sport that is local TV news, Lou blurs the line between observer and participant to become the star of his own story.
Jake Gyllenhaal plays a creepy sociopath, and is not likeable.
The first half was dull but not slow, and it picked up near the end, but it never got anywhere near a directorial genius or moral respectability. I just wasn't much entertained. From the previews I thought he was doing more staging, rather than a manipulation.
In Spiderman, Peter Parker discovered he was Amazing at getting photos right after the event he caused. In Nightcrawler, he discovered he was good at getting photos right after the event he caused.
The protagonist in Nightcrawler possesses a 'certain moral ambiguity'.

Quote:
I possessed a certain moral ambiguity the CIA was looking for.
-- Martin Blank, "Grosse Pointe Blank"

Quote:
I am voting this 2 stars only because it seems like everyone is blindly giving this movie 5 stars, and this movie is not a 5 star movie. The movie is about a struggling thief that is trying to find a way to earn some cash, and one night stumbles upon a nightcrawler capturing video footage of an accident and realizes it might be a good way to earn money. The main character is Lou who is a highly intelligent lunatic, he has no moral compass and is willing to do whatever it takes to capture video footage and is willing to take advantage of anyone and everyone to get ahead. Now the movie itself has an interesting concept behind it, and I give the director and the studio credit for originality, but overall while watching this movie I didn't find it mind blowing like all the hype everyone has built up for it. I don't think it's a bad movie just not an amazing movie, it felt pretty average watching it, and at times dragged. I believe the movie could have been better by somehow drawing the viewer in to feel more empathetic for Lou's partner, and the ending of the movie, I'm not going to ruin it, but let's just say that I felt that it was very lacking. The movie just didn't seem to draw me in, after watching it, I didn't feel like it was one of those movies that I would want to watch again. I think it's not a bad movie and I should fairly rate it 3 stars but it's also not very good, if you are interested in watching this you should, but don't expect to have your mind blown away by it, just my opinion...

post #8053 of 8065 Old 02-18-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched The League of Gentlemen (1960)
3.9/5 (amazon 4.6/5, imdb 7.5/10)
Involuntarily-retired Colonel Hyde recruits seven other dissatisfied ex-servicemen for a special project. Each of the men has a skeleton in the cupboard, is short of money, and is a service-trained expert in his field. The job is a bank robbery, and military discipline and planning are imposed by Hyde and second-in-command Race on the team, although civilian irritations do start getting in the way.
'Half Colonel' Hyde played to gruff perfection by Jack Hawkins, is supremely proud of his meticulous planning skills, learned and sharpened in a 25 year military career. Ignominiously pensioned off, he puts these strengths to good use in plotting a daring million-pound robbery. As an ex-military man, Hyde is aware that his 'operation' cannot succeed without putting together a squad of the very best experts. Displaying the kind of guile and ruthlessness that earned him his lofty rank, he also knows that it's rather handy if one's selected team has nothing much to lose. The film opens by introducing us to Hyde's hand-picked candidates in turn - each receiving a mysterious invitation to lunch, stapled to one half of a crisp new fiver none of them can afford to ignore. A rum bunch they are, too - we see a splendidly gloomy panorama of post-war London, scattered with promiscuous wives (Nanette Newman, no less), doomed businesses, loveless marriages and good times going rapidly bad. Enough, surely, to make a fellow wish he were back in the army - especially should he happen to be a bogus priest, an 'odd man out' or simply a chap who always makes the same mistake twice ... Was late-1950s Britain, in fact, a land fit for heroes? Does pride come before a fall? Or does crime, perhaps just this once, pay?
All in all, a pleasant little caper film.

post #8054 of 8065 Old 02-19-2015, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Watched John Wick in Atmos.

Very entertaining. Kudos for making fight scenes very original. The close range pistol scenes are really cool. The Atmos mix was awesome. It's really been fun as hell hearing the overhead sounds and effects. Bullets panning overhead, rain, etc. I recommend!

-
My Theater Build

Equipment List: Denon X5200, Epson 6030, 120" Carada cinemascope screen, Panamorph U480, Oppo-103, Emotiva XPA-5, SVS PB12-NSD, LSA Statement LCR & surround speakers, Def Tech ProCinema 1000 rears & front wides, DefTech DI5.5R Atmos overheads, Grafik Eye 3106
post #8055 of 8065 Old 02-22-2015, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Cannon For Cordoba (1970)
2.9/5 (amazon 4.4/5, imdb 5.8/10)
In 1916, a Mexican rebel named Cordoba steals six cannons from the forces of General Pershing who's been sent to bring order to the Texas-Mexico border. Pershing assigns a soldier named Rod Douglas to retrieve the cannons. Douglas recruits a trio of misfits and they, along with a Mexican officer and an enigmatic woman, travel 200 miles south to Cordoba's mountain fortress. Explosions and gun battles soon erupt.

Weeks ago I was watching a 'remake actors meet original movie actors' chat in which one of the actors was knawing on an unlit cigar, and I thought of The A-Team and I started wondering why George Peppard hadn't had a cameo in the 2010 movie. Turns out Peppard died in 1994.
Being a bit of a fan of other George Peppard stuff, that led me to look at the list of his films, and I hadn't seen this one.

Francine York does an almost nude scene which I wasn't expecting given the year, and there are a bevy of corset only gals running around.

The plot is reminiscent of several other films. A small group of men with different skills go after a military objective, even the A-Team eventually used this.
The Professionals (1966) where four men go to rescue a woman, who basically knows her way around -- is refreshed here a bit. In this case she goes in as a spy advertised to use her wiles to separate Cordoba from his staff, but she both betrays one of the hero's party, and leverages the betrayal in order to separate Cordoba from his staff.

The movie is told in three acts
Act 1) the famous General John J. 'Blackjack' Pershing shows up with a well armed fast response force on train cars, complete with six cannon, a bunch of machine guns, and about a hundred soldiers. Cordoba spots the cannon decides he wants them. Pershing assigns George Peppard to infiltrate Cordoba's forces to facilitate wiping Cordoba's army out. Peppard discovers Cordoba's plan to take the cannons, and informs one of Pershing's officers, but that officer is killed on the way back, and later that night Pershing loses his entire command, the cannons, and the train. Pershing, escapes with his life, but is perturbed. He declares losing the skirmish is embarrassing enough, but he will not stand for his cannon being in enemy hands -- and even if it is across the Mexican boarder he wants the cannon blown up.
Act 2) George Peppard and his group, and a Mexican officer and a woman, prepare to go south to blow up the cannon, and capture Cordoba alive, from amongst his army and fortress. They are fairly confident they can blow up the cannons, and fairly confident they'll all be shot trying to do anything else in amongst the army.
Act 3) They go in, blow up the cannons, capture Cordoba, and most of them are killed, with great destruction everywhere.

Overall, not a bad little Saturday afternoon flick.

post #8056 of 8065 Old 02-22-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Anatomy of a Murder (1959, Criterion BluRay)
3/5 (amazon 4.4/5, imdb 8.1/10, rotten tomatoes 91%)
Frederick Manion (Ben Gazzara), a lieutenant in the army, is arrested for the murder of a bartender, Barney Quill. He claims, in his defense, that the victim had raped and beaten up his wife Laura (Lee Remick). Although Laura supports her husband's story, the police surgeon can find no evidence that she has been raped. Manion is defended by Paul Biegler (James Stewart), a rather humble small-town lawyer. During the course of interviews, Biegler discovers that Manion is violently possessive and jealous, and also that his wife has a reputation for giving her favors to other men. Biegler realizes that the prosecution will try to make the court believe that Laura was the lover of the bartender and than Manion killed him and beat her up when he discovered them together. Manion pleads "not guilty" and Biegler, who knows that his case is weak, sets his assistants to try to find a witness who will save Manion.

Lee Remick has never looked better.
James Stewart is good as always. Actually everyone in this is good, including George C Scott.
Nominated for seven Oscars, including best picture.
Ranked #7 on the American Film Institute's list of the 10 greatest films in the genre "Courtroom Drama".

Trivia: The "law library" in the courthouse was actually filmed in the Carnegie Public Library in Ishpeming Michigan. The door that was opened in the Courthouse, which is in Marquette, Michigan, was the door to the men's restroom.

Trivia: The murder took place at Thunder Bay Inn, on the south shore of Lake Superior. The movie came out 11 years before there was a city of Thunder Bay, Ontario, on the north shore. (Thunder Bay, Ont. was formed by the merger of Fort William and Port Arthur in 1970.)

Although relatively tame by today's standards, I still think it's a parental guidance required film, due to its frankness around the discussion of sex and promiscuity. James Stewart's father was so offended by the film, which he deemed "a dirty picture", that he took out an ad in his local newspaper telling people not to see it. Upon its original release, the film was banned in Chicago, Illinois.

No problem at all to sit and watch all of this 160 minute movie. No pause. Pleasant dialog. A little wondering about who did what, and what such-and-such a character's reaction means. Good stuff.

post #8057 of 8065 Old 02-22-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Lucy - Netflix DVD - A film with a very interesting concept. A human that has access to 100% of the brains "power" and potential. This is an incredibly interesting concept for me and really has limitless boundaries. Unfortunately this film fell absolutely flat on its face for me. Neither performance by Freeman or Johansson were inspiring or any where near top notch. Just a little more than disappointing for me as I was really looking forward to seeing this one. For me the pacing was all over the place, lacked character development, and never did develop the concept to an acceptable conclusion. I also thought the ending was bad was unimaginative as well. Glad I Netflixed it as I was considering a blind buy. 2/5

I watched Oblivion again and I am overwhelmed by the beauty and visuals in this one. Continues to impress on visuals alone. This is one that I can watch over and over again and see something new each time.

Regards,

RTROSE
BDUB619 likes this.

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #8058 of 8065 Old 02-24-2015, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Watched Tron legacy for probably the 4th time this year with a few buddies. two thumbs up from me.

The story may be a bit lacking and doesn't really mesh with the original but that aside the movie itself is beautifully done and the sound track kicks ass!!
post #8059 of 8065 Old 02-25-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 773
^^^

Agreed! The Lightbike Race scene is my go-to demo scene.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #8060 of 8065 Old 02-25-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3529 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
...And the music ♫ is great. ...Daft Punk.
J_P_A likes this.
post #8061 of 8065 Old 02-26-2015, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Dracula Untold (2014)
2.8/5 (amazon 4.3/5, imdb 6.3/10, rotten tomatoes 23%/60%, AVS Ralph Potts: 2/5)
The claim to fame for this film is that it's supposed to be a mix of real history around Vlad the Impaler, and a creation story of Dracula.
That without Vlad, the Ottomans would have taken over Europe and the United Kingdom wouldn't exist.
In this movie, as his kingdom is being threatened by the Turks, young prince Vlad must become a monster feared by his own people in order to obtain the power needed to protect his own family, and the families of his kingdom.
Actor Charles Dance of the United Kingdom, best known to me as Tywin Lannister (eldest) from Game Of Thrones, makes an appearance as the Master Vampire who gives Vlad his powers.
The story doesn't have the depth or romance of some other Dracula movies, but it's watchable. The special features show they were quite proud of the fight scenes.
Luke Evans of the United Kingdom as Vlad (Romanian).
Dominic Cooper of the United Kingdom as Mehmed (head of Ottoman empire)
Paul Kaye of the United Kingdom, William Houston of the United Kingdom, Noah Huntley of the United Kingdom, Ronan Vibert of the United Kingdom, Ferdinand Kingsley of the United Kingdom,
and Diarmaid Murtagh of Ireland to give the cast the needed international authenticity.

post #8062 of 8065 Old 02-26-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched The Girl Hunters (1963)
2/5 (amazon 3.6/10, imdb 6.0/10)
Legendary detective Mike Hammer has spent seven years in an alcoholic funk after the supposed death of his secretary, Velda. He is brought back to the land of the living by his old friendly enemy, police lieutenant Pat Chambers.
One of a few films to star author Mickey Spillane who wrote the 200 or so Mike Hammer books, with Mickey Spillane playing Mike Hammer.
Another notable film being "Kiss Me Deadly (1955)".
Mickey Spillane can't act, but given that restriction he's still watchable and authentic.
Co stars Shirley Eaton, who obviously can act, and relatively speaking acts all over him -- Shirley Eaton is most famous for being in the 007 film Goldfinger, where she was the girl who died from being painted gold.

post #8063 of 8065 Old 02-26-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched The Bravos (1972)
2/5 (amazon 4/5, imdb 6.5/10)
The commander of an isolated frontier cavalry post tries to stop an Indian war and find his son, who has been kidnapped.
George Peppard does as Major John David Harkness, struggling to rescue his son and maintain his command in the face of obstacles, situations, a lack of supply and men, and insufficient military discipline -- but with courage and determination all works out in the end.
Pernell Roberts plays the braggart dangerously stupid lying wagon master (head of a wagon train, that has too few wagons and left too late in the year, imperiling not only the participants but Major Harkness's fort and half the state as well).
L.Q. Jones, George Murdock and Dana Elcar round out the cast.
A very young Belinda Montgomery makes an appearance.
An ok Saturday afternoon made-for-TV western.

post #8064 of 8065 Old 02-26-2015, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched The Destructors (1974) (aka The Marseille Contract)
2/5 (amazon 3.4/5, imdb 6.0/10)
Anthony Quinn, Michael Caine, James Mason
A tough U.S. Embassy official (Anthony Quinn) in Paris is assigned to break a narcotic ring, but after several of his agents are killed he hires a professional killer (Michael Caine). James Mason as the billionaire ruthless heroin drug baron, with informants everywhere.

Quote:
A reasonably solid 70's crime drama along the lines of (though not nearly as good as) 1971's 'Get Carter', starring Michael Caine. This time out, Caine portrays John Davos, once a good guy but now a hired assassin who drives fast cars and handles pretty women as deftly as the vehicles he loves to show off in. Anthony Quinn is cast as Steve Ventura, a U.S. embassy official who heads the DEA bureau for the United Nations stationed in Paris, whose agents are being picked off left and right by drug lord Jacques Brizard, played by James Mason, who's incredibly miscast as the Frenchman with the most discernable British accent you've ever heard. Brizard has worked out an overseas deal and is anticipating a shipment of 40 kilos of pure base Morphine to arrive by ship into Marseilles on the 18th of the month, and Ventura is determined to have him killed prior to this date, but is surprised to find out his old buddy John (Caine) is the hitman he's contracted for $50k.

70's crime dramas are more dark, seedy, gritty, grainy and dirtier than their 60's counterparts - it's both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, they're more true to life and realistically honest; there's nothing glamorous or romantic about the miscreant characters themselves or the lives they lead. On the other side of the coin, the seedy underhandedness and despicable double-crossings can sometimes be so unpleasant you'll feel as though you need a shower as soon as the end credits roll. The dirty, disheveled sets can be downright depressing as the dank underbelly of the loathsome, brutal, barbaric beast is exposed as the plot plays out.

post #8065 of 8065 Unread Today, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Movie trivia [I haven't seen the film]

God's Pocket
"Philip Seymour Hoffman once again shines in the third movie that he has made since he died. He will be in two more. (David Carradine did nine.)"
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Spy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page