Now Showing - What We Watched - Page 271 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #8101 of 8108 Old 05-12-2015, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Watched a few movies over the past week or so, all three of the below get two thumbs up from me and could be revisited at any time.

Prior to seeing the Avengers: Age of Ultron at the theater I had a buddy over to revisit the first.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/

Then for mothers day my wife chose: Crazy Stupid Love. pretty funny!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1570728/

Finally last night we revisited Jurassic Park (just recently purchased the blu ray).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107290/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avengers.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	712570   Click image for larger version

Name:	crazystupidlove.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	712578   Click image for larger version

Name:	jurasicpark.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	712586  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 8108 Old 05-16-2015, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Watched Mortdecai (2015)
2/5 (amazon 3/5, imdb 5.5/10, rotten tomatoes 13%/34%)
There are films with Johnny Depp, and this is one.
Rotten tomatoes consensus reads, "Aggressively strange and willfully unfunny, the misguided Mortdecai sounds a frightfully low note in Johnny Depp's post-Pirates filmography"
Staring: Johnny Depp, Gwyneth Paltrow, Paul Bettany, Ewan McGregor, Olivia Munn, Jeff Goldblum
I was looking forward to seeing Olivia Munn again, after enjoying her role as Sloan Sabbith on The Newsroom, but Johnny Depp, Gwyneth Paltrow, Ewan McGregor, Olivia Munn, and Jeff Goldblum were all dull in this. Olivia Munn is posed and moved in ways that don't flatter her figure as much as it should have been.
Paul Bettany's role as Jock Strapp (probably pun intended given the excessive number of testicular jokes in the film; although I only recall him being called Jock in the film which was appropriate to his character) was good. If any of Johnny Depp, Gwyneth Paltrow, Ewan McGregor, Olivia Munn, or Jeff Goldblum had pulled the story off well, Paul Bettany's role could have brought this film to the top. But they didn't, and he couldn't.
The jokes aren't that good, the plot isn't that good, but most should be able to sit through it.
This film's budget of $60,000,000 was spent unwisely, possibly on renting sets and a Rolls Royce car. Many many Lionsgate films are much better than this. At the end of its theatrical run, the film grossed $7.7 million in North America and $22.7 internationally. On February 7, 2014, Lionsgate announced that they had plans for a film series with the character.
The film is adapted from the book anthology Mortdecai. Mortdecai is a series of comic thriller novels written by English author Kyril Bonfiglioli. The book series deals with the picaresque adventures of a dissolute aristocratic art dealer named Charlie Mortdecai, accompanied on his adventures by his manservant Jock. The books consisted of Don't Point That Thing at Me, Something Nasty in the Woodshed, After You with a Pistol and The Great Moustache Mystery, published circa 1990s.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.

Last edited by BasementBob; 05-16-2015 at 01:19 AM.
post #8103 of 8108 Old 05-16-2015, 07:36 AM

Watched Fools Rush In on netflix last night. A decent romantic comedy. One thumb up from me.
post #8104 of 8108 Old 05-16-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Watched Mad Max (1979) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079501/

How this thing gets great reviews I will never understand. I see that in the time it was released the expectations were different, but the distance between this movie in compelling story-telling is too far for me. Character development is effectively zero. Setting the scene for the story I guess was left to the trailer or something. The soundtrack is abominable. The acting is passable and the cinematography and editing are adequate. D+

Also watched Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392190/

This was in the cinema - Atmos and digital 4K projection. Way too loud a presentation. Story telling and character development are present, though not great. Acting is a step up from the original as well. Cinematography and effects are very good - lots of eye-candy and dynamic imagery. Runs a little long at 120 minutes. C+ I'll see it again.
post #8105 of 8108 Old 05-16-2015, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Blackhat (2015)
2.8/5 (amazon 2.8/5, imdb 5.4, rotten tomatoes 34%/25%, AVS Ralph Potts: 2.5/5)
This is the 2015 hacker movie.
Michael Mann directed it, so the gun fight scenes are pretty good.
The computer animation of how the virus spreads has some similarities to how circuits work I suppose, but its wrong enough to be ignored. Some of the computer hacker verbiage seemed ok.
The science surrounding the nuclear station is terrible.
A few plot holes and obvious goofs
What I saw seemed entertaining to me, but I was running around in the same room only watching about 70% of the time.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #8106 of 8108 Old 05-17-2015, 03:00 PM

Watched Godzilla (2014)

Nothing special here but the fights were pretty entertaining. I give it one thumb up which means I didn't hate it but probably would not ever revisit it...
post #8107 of 8108 Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Paddington (2014)
3.5/5 (amazon 4.5/5 heavily squeued towards 5, imdb 7.3/10, Rotten Tomatoes 98%/83%, AVS Ralph Potts: 3.5/5)
Paddington Bear is a fictional character in children's literature. He first appeared on 13 October 1958 and has featured in more than twenty books written by Michael Bond and illustrated by Peggy Fortnum and other artists. The friendly bear from deepest, darkest Peru -- with his old hat, battered suitcase (complete with a secret compartment, enabling it to hold more items than it would at first appear), duffle coat and love of marmalade -- has become a classic character from English children's literature. Paddington books have been translated into 30 languages across 70 titles and sold more than 30 million copies worldwide. There was also a Paddington (1975 TV series), Paddington Bear (1989 TV series).
Paddington is an anthropomorphised bear. He is always polite -- addressing people as "Mr", "Mrs" and "Miss", rarely by first names -- and kind-hearted, though he inflicts hard stares on those who incur his disapproval. He has an endless capacity for innocently getting into trouble, but he is known to "try so hard to get things right." He was discovered in Paddington Station, London, by the (human) Brown family who adopted him, and thus he gives his full name as "Paddington Brown".
Don't you just hate it when they make a movie filled with child actors who can't see the film for a decade due to sex & nudity, violence & gore, profanity, alcohol & drugs & smoking, and frightening & intense scenes? I can tell you that I didn't see anything that I wouldn't show children, or elders for that matter. British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) gave the film a PG certificate and advised parents that the film contained dangerous behaviour, threats, sex references, and bad language. Paddington’s creator, Michael Bond, said he was 'totally amazed' at the BBFC's advice. BBFC revised the wording of its parental guidance, replacing 'sex references' with 'innuendo'. It also further qualified the 'bad language' as 'a single mumbled use of: bloody'. Keep in mind this is a film set in London England -- a mumbled use of the word bloody ups the film's classification there? Yeah the sadistic taxidermist Nicole Kidman can be scary for young children. Most countries rate this as general admission (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland), a few 6+ or 10+. And then there's the United Kingdom: PG. (bloody.) A feel good movie with dozens of standard clichés delivered reasonably well, with a lite Hollywood ending.
The first 45 minutes of this I watched in 15 minute chunks with multi hour pauses, as 15 minutes was all I could stand to see at one time. Don't get me wrong, what I saw was good and well done (CGI, Acting, Dialog, verbal Jokes, Physical Comedy, low-key British humour, etc), but I could tell this was aimed at an audience a little younger than me. Perhaps 6-year-olds. The last half of the movie was no trouble at all and I rather began to enjoy it utterly. Don't press STOP -- you put this BluRay back into a player and it starts from the beginning copyright warnings and previews, not from where you left off.
I wanted to see this since I saw the television commercial with the bear 'disasters', like getting a toilet clog and the bathroom fills up with water and he rides the tub down the waterfall cascading down the staircase. The expression on the polite bear's face, very endearing.

post #8108 of 8108 Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Ok I'm secure enough in my masculinity to post the following.

50 Shades of Grey - Bluray blind buy - Ok, ok, ok.........*********Disclosure********* Mrs RTROSE is a huge 50 shades fan so buying this was inevitable. We did not watch this in a commercial theater as the Mrs. and I thought watching this movie with a bunch of strangers would be er ah hem a little uncomfortable, and it so would have been. After having seen and read the reviews I was expecting a complete hot mess and acting that was as bad as watching Fred on youtube. The acting was actually not all that bad, in fact it was better than in the Twilight Saga (not saying much but I have also been forced to watch all of those as Mrs RTROSE is also a fan of those) and I thought Anastasia was done really well, Christian not as well but not bad either. I would have thought Christian's character would have been stronger as per his role, but sometimes just does not match with his character. There were a few laugh out loud moments and Mrs RTROSE was pretty happy with how the film followed the book. All in all it wasn't too bad, some of the scenery was very well done indeed and very pleasant to look at. The scenes went as far as they possibly go and keep an R or Unrated and not a XXX rating. I can say that afterwards I did not feel that the time spent was time I would never recoup. It goes without saying this is not one to watch with extended family, friends, your Sunday school class, or kids but best shared with your SO. For some of you there might be some fringe benefits after watching this with your SO, but as with anything in life YMMV.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Spy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page