Now Showing - What We Watched - Page 274 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #8191 of 8212 Old 11-28-2015, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Watched Gold (1974)
2.9/5 (amazon 3.4/5, imdb 5.7/10)
Rod Slater (Roger Moore) is the newly appointed general manager of the Sonderditch gold mine, but he stumbles across an ingenious plot to flood the mine, by drilling into an underground lake, so the unscrupulous owners to make a killing in the international gold market.
Also stars Susannah York, Ray Milland, Bradford Dillman, and John Gielgud.
The film has about a half hour that should have been edited out, and if they had the rating would have been higher, but the actual plot is interesting.
The film begins with a tunnel collapse at the Sonderditch mine, in a scene that establishes the courage of Slater and his chief miner, 'Big King', and the bond of trust between them. This is contrasted with the contempt with which some other white managers treat the black miners. It is soon revealed that the collapse was no accident, but part of a plan by a London-based criminal syndicate, which includes the mine-owner's son-in-law Manfred Steyner, to destroy the mine so that the syndicate members can profit from share-dealing. This will be done by drilling through a deep underground wall or 'dyke' which is all that prevents an adjacent reservoir of water from flooding the mine.
The mine's General Manager, an accomplice in the plot, was killed in the tunnel collapse. Steyner interviews Slater, who at this stage is Underground Manager, for the now vacant post of General Manager, although the mine owner has another candidate in mind. At this point, Slater first meets Steyner's wife Terry and is attracted to her, but she does not return his interest. However, Steyner arranges for them to meet again, in the hope that Terry will influence her grandfather, the mine owner, in Slater's favour. The plan works, with two consequences: Slater becomes General Manager, and he and Terry start a love affair. Slater, unaware of the criminal plan, agrees to carry out the drilling but is cautious enough to plant a safety charge that will block the tunnel in case of a water leak. Steyner knows that Slater is having an affair with his wife, but allows it to continue because it will keep Slater away from the mine, so that the safety charge can be disabled without his knowledge.
While Slater and Terry are holidaying together, the final breach is made in the underground dyke and the mine begins to flood, trapping a thousand workers. Slater hears of the disaster on the radio news, and flies with Terry back to the mine. There is a tense scene in which Slater and Big King descend the mine, amidst rising flood waters, to repair the safety charge. They succeed, but only because Big King sacrifices his own life to detonate the charge, letting Slater escape. Meanwhile, Steyner is murdered by Marais, one of his accomplices, after they hear on the radio that their plan has unravelled, Marais also crashes and kills himself. This conveniently leaves Terry free to continue her relationship with Slater, as the film ends.

Watched Dark of the Sun (1968)
2.6/5 (amazon 4.2/5, imdb 7.0/10)
A band of mercenaries led by Captain Curry travel through the Congo across deadly terrain, battling rival armies, to rescue $25 million in uncut diamonds.
Rod Taylor, Yvette Mimieux, Peter Carsten
Well into B movie category for most of the film, there are a few short gory scenes that make this one famous.
Quote:
Although at first glance, Dark of the Sun seems to be your typical fiction book made into film, it is, in fact, a very realistic portrayal of similar events which occurred during the Katanga rebellion in 1964 in the newly created Republic of the Congo. It was about diamonds, it was about a proxy war between the East and the West, and Jim Brown's acting, although a bit stiff at times, actually comes off quite well. Rod Taylor was a veteran actor by this time, and it shows clear through as he takes on the portrayal of the tough and hardened, veteran mercenary soldier.
The Simbas DID eat their victims, they did kill hundreds of foreigners (mostly Belgian). The only thing that is not portrayed in the movie is the fact that the Simbas actually used some French mercenaries on their side (although very few), but this historically unknown bit of data is OK to be missing from the movie, since it would only confuse the viewer.

Watched The High and the Mighty (1954)
2.5/5 (amazon 4.6/5, imdb 6.9/10)
John Wayne, Robert Stack
The way the film was shot, timing and otherwise, was somewhat replicated in Airplane (1980).
When a commercial airliner develops engine problems on a trans-Pacific flight and the pilot loses his nerve, it is up to the washed-up co-pilot Dan Roman (John Wayne) to bring the plane in safely.
In this film, Robert Stack is the chief pilot of the plane that barely makes it in -- making Robert Stack the experienced hand by the time Airplane comes around 27 years later.
Given that this film won the awards and had the bigger budget I was expecting more from it than Island in the Sky (1953), but ultimately it wasn't as good.
John Wayne produced the film, and wasn't supposed to star in it, but ended up staring in the co-pilot part when the role was unfilled when filming began.
One disaster after another happens on this trans-Pacific flight. You have the pilot who loses his nerve! The washed-up co-pilot. The milquetoast flight engineer. The young hot shot second officer. And a cabin full of passengers with every range of problems and personalities there could possibly be. Here you have the Duke in a role he didn't want, and a movie with the title song that became Duke's theme.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 8212 Old 11-29-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Skynet Week

This coming week (or two) I plan to watch all the The Terminator movies:

1. The Terminator (1984, Blu-ray)
  2. Terminator 2 (1991, anamorphic DVD)
  3. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003, anamorphic DVD)
  4. Terminator: Salvation (2009, Blu-ray)
  5. Terminator Genisys (2015, Blu-ray)

I am currently watching the first movie, which arrived from Netflix yesterday afternoon. How long it will take to watch all five depend on, in part, how quickly I can get them from Netflix. (Movies 2 & 3 have a short wait for the Blu-ray, which is why I decided to go with anamorphic DVD; at least Netflix claims they are anamorphic DVDs; I also recorded 2 and 3 on the DVR from HD movie channels, just in case the DVDs are slice-and-dice pan-and-scan. The disc queue show that the other Blu-ray discs don't have any waits.)

This will be my first viewing of "Terminator Genisys" and, generally, when I watch a franchise that has been spread out over a long time, let alone 31 years, I usually prefer to see the new movie in context with the other movies of the franchise. And, yes, I had watched "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" when it aired, but I am skipping the show (31 episodes when tallying both seasons) at this time.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, PC (Windows 7), Xfinity Internet (160Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola DCX3501, Xfinity faceplate: RNG200N), Xfinity cable (Digital Preferred Plus), Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray player.
post #8193 of 8212 Old 12-03-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched Fantastic 4 (2015)
2.7/5 (amazon 2.4/5 (vastly 1 star), imdb 4.3/10, rotten tomatoes 10%)
I'd heard it was bad. That the characters weren't lovable. The Fantastic Four stories should be lighthearted.
But I figured that Kate Mara would be cute no matter what. But they put her in a dark suit that compressed her chest, and had her stand in front of black backgrounds so you couldn't see her figure, and cut her hair.
The bad guy makes his first appearance as a supervillain in the last 10 minutes of the film.

Watched The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015)
3/5 (amazon 3.8/5, imdb 7.4/10, rotten tomatoes 78%, AVS Ralph Potts: 3.5/5)
It was kind of strange watching superman (Henry Cavill) play the part of Napoleon Solo, although I'm beginning to wonder if he could be the next James Bond.
The good news is that it's still set in 1960s -- they didn't try to transplant the USA/Russia cold war into 2015.
I didn't notice the comedy that some have mentioned.
The style and tone have changed from the 1960s series, but it seemed an ok change.
Illya Kuryakin's played meaner in this 2015 version than David McCallum played the character in 1966, which meant it wasn't The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
The romantic comedy of Ilya and Gaby didn't quite work, but it did resemble a 1960s television plot, without a knowledge of the customs of 1960. Her dancing was wrong. Unmarried couple easily getting an elegant hotel room together without so much as an eye raise. 1960 The pill is approved for contraceptive use.
Overall, kind of a so so movie that almost pulled it off, but left me wanting to watch something more classic.

Watched Task Force (1949)
3/5 (amazon 4.7/5, imdb 6.7/10)
Task Force (1949) is a war film that starts with the very early development of U.S. aircraft carriers from the USS Langley (CV-1), moves through Pearl Harbour and Midway and Okinawa. Finally ending up with the retirement of Garry Cooper as admiral.
Also stars Jane Wyatt, famous for being Spock's mother in Star Trek Journey To Babel.

Watched Operation Pacific (1951)
3/5 (amazon 4.5/5, imdb 6.7/10)
John Wayne
An ok telling of American submarine warfare in the Pacific during WWII.
With the loss of battleships at Pearl Harbour, it was up to submarines to wipe out Japanese shipping, and they did it in spades.
(Today, Japan's latest 'aircraft carrier' is a helicopter carrier designed to kill submarines)
Submarine warfare was more difficult than it should have been because it turned out that the torpedoes that hit their targets wouldn't detonate. They just went clunk. Duds. It was months before they shipped with reliable torpedoes, leaving submarines that tried to take out shipping with deck guns and even ramming.
Yes Minister would make fun of this idea decades later when Wolsey mentioned that the modern torpedoes don't work, but the ones developed in WWII still worked because they were tested.
They go up against a Japanese Q-ship at one point.
There's a floating log chain harbor defense that they know is there, but they plow through it snapping their periscopes off.
Patricia Neal makes an appearance, who famously uttered 'Gort, Klaatu barata nikto' in The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951), and 'I've had a lovely time' her final words while on her deathbed.

Watched We Dive at Dawn (1943)
3/5 (amazon 4.2/5, imdb 6.7/10)
We Dive At Dawn is a standard issue, well acted British WWII film about a submarine of the Royal Navy.
The first 15 minutes centers around shore leave problems, and is dull. But the film quickly picks up.
The plot involves tactics we've seen elsewhere, including getting through submarine netting, and tactics not normally in submarine films including some minor spy work and commando raid to refuel in a German port, with the least loved character ending up being the biggest hero.
A British submarine in WW2 is sent on an impossible mission to sink the German warship 'Brandenburg'. To destroy their target, they must find their target - somewhere deep in enemy-controlled waters. The captain navigates his submarine past nets, mines, and enemy destroyers, and then must clandestinely obtain fuel and oil from an enemy-held port for the return voyage.
This tale of submarine adventure was made with the support of the British military in the darkest days of WW2, so the boats you see really are warships and not Hollywood mock-ups. The plot is fairly predictable and the overall production is hindered by thick British accents at times, but its still a good late-night war movie.
In short, plenty of action, more character depth than you'd want, and no wild inaccuracies or implausibilities to laugh at.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #8194 of 8212 Old 12-07-2015, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched The Transporter Refueled (2015)
3.3/5 (amazon 2.4/5, imdb 5.0/10, rotten tomatoes 32%)
The first half I really enjoyed. A little over the top, but a fun car chase. Time passes easily.
Great stunts and action here, the action is well choreographed and the stunts are unrealistic style but still pretty fun.
Actor Ed Skrein tries to replace Jason Statham in the lead role, is not quite as personable an actor (sort of like George Lazenby as 007),and plotwise keeps breaking his rules.
Ray Stevenson (famous for his role as Titus Pullo in Rome) plays his father, again sort of hit and miss, and for a recently retired not-so-secretly world class spy he gets himself kidnapped multiple times by girls.
The women are cute, but not that cute. There are pointless sex scenes where everyone gets down to their underwear (no nudity). Ray Stevenson beds two of the women in an unsatisfying plot point.
But where I feel it fell apart was the plot for the second half. Contrived. The narrative is little more than a laundry line to connect the action beats, and the action beats are edited to hide the physics problems.
For example the thefts are all from 3 bad guys each with their own $100 million bank account -- who keeps all their money in a checking account, and who keeps $100 million of criminal funds in a chequing account (as opposed to investing it, or multiple accounts).
Visually it's shot under the bright sun of southern France -- so the colours are incredible.

post #8195 of 8212 Old 12-08-2015, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched The Absent-Minded Professor (1961)
3.5/5 (amazon 4.7/5, imdb 6.8/10, rotten tomatoes 81%)
A bumbling professor accidently invents flying rubber, or "Flubber", an incredible material that gains energy every time it strikes a hard surface. It allows for the invention of shoes that can allow jumps of amazing heights and enables a modified Model-T to fly when exposed to radiation. Unfortunately, no one is interested in the material except for Alonzo Hawk, a corrupt businessman who wants to steal the material for himself.
Lots of fun.

post #8196 of 8212 Old 12-08-2015, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post
Watched The Absent-Minded Professor (1961)
3.5/5 (amazon 4.7/5, imdb 6.8/10, rotten tomatoes 81%)
A bumbling professor accidently invents flying rubber, or "Flubber", an incredible material that gains energy every time it strikes a hard surface. It allows for the invention of shoes that can allow jumps of amazing heights and enables a modified Model-T to fly when exposed to radiation. Unfortunately, no one is interested in the material except for Alonzo Hawk, a corrupt businessman who wants to steal the material for himself.
Lots of fun.
I remember watching that in elementary school. I loved it! Much more than the Robin Williams one. I should rewatch for old times sake
post #8197 of 8212 Old 12-08-2015, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Victoria's Secret Fashion show

120" screen from my projector, almost a 9 foot long runway

photo from my Samsung galaxy S6 phone

sorry, thought it was time for a change from the usual
Alan P and NickTheGreat like this.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #8198 of 8212 Old 12-13-2015, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched A Hard Day (2014)
3.9/5 (amazon *NoRating*, amazon.uk 4.1/5, imdb 7.2/10, rotten tomatoes 83%)
South Korean film, with English subtitles.
Lots of fun.
'A pitch-black comedy with style to burn, A Hard Day depicts a day-in- the-life of a cop that goes from bad to worse to cursed.
Driving back from his mother's funeral, homicide detective Gun-soo (Lee Sun-kyun) runs over a man in a dark rural street. In a moment of desperation, he dumps the body in a coffin alongside his mother. The disappearance of his accident victim is investigated by a colleague, and, making matters worse, a witness steps forward, a detective named Park (Cho Jin-woong). Park's motives are less than savory, and he begins issuing threats that become more vicious and hit closer to home. Eventually Gun-soo decides to face Park head-on once and for all.'

Any 15 minutes of this film would have been 'a hard day' for me. Here's the first 15 minutes: In this Korean police crime caper we meet Inspector Geon Su; his mother is being prepared for burial and he is running late. Then on a seemingly deserted stretch of road he is forced to swerve to avoid a dog, then hits a man and kills him instead - oops. In a panic he decides he will have to get rid of the body and cover up the crash of his unmarked police vehicle. Then he finds out that his entire team are being investigated by Internal Affairs for corruption and embezzlement - of which they are slightly guilty. He's been stopped by traffic cops for drunk driving with a corpse in the boot and he's forgotten to get the chocolate cake he promised his daughter.

Seong-hoon Kim's black comedy thriller has such a dizzyingly and occasionally intoxicating one-damn-thing-after-another that you begin to wonder if they'll sustain that level of invention in the cleverly constructed script. It doesn't, but it's still a surprisingly enjoyable rollercoaster ride, throwing enough obstacles in its antihero's path for it not to matter that there's no-one in the picture you can root for (the 'hero' is one of the slightly less corrupt cops). Fortunately he's pitted against a much more ruthless antagonist to give the film someone you can root against, allowing you to sit back and watch its dirty cop literally get his hands even dirtier and dig himself deeper the more he tries to dig his way out. I laughed out loud a few times.
It's really an action film more than anything else. I know they rated it as a comedy, and I laughed, but it's still an action film, without being a particularly violent or graphic film.

A well constructed thriller, the film is racked with tension, and doesn't feel rushed. It's the mark of a director in complete control of his craft, which is impressive given that this is only his second directing credit. While most of the cast get only minor supporting roles, each is believable, either as an innocent, bewildered (by Geon-Soo's odd behaviour) family member or bystander, or as a cop on the verge of being a crook. The two biggest roles, of Geon-Soo and of Detective Choi are played well, with one verging between the typical smooth talking detective and total breakdown, and the other being a commanding, almost otherwordly wicked presence, loving the power he wields.

post #8199 of 8212 Old 12-16-2015, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched American Ultra (2015)
2/5 (amazon 3.5/5 (even split), imdb 6.1/10, rotten tomatoes 42%)
Stars Jesse Eisenberg, whom I don't think I've liked him in anything except Zombieland.
and Kristen Stewart, plays a stoned government agent slut who's 'in love' and wants to 'mother' a wreck.
Has all the scenes the television commercial had: the parking lot spoon, the frying pan ricochet. No misrepresentation there -- if you liked what you saw in the commercial, there's a lot of that in the film. If you read more into the commercial, such as that it might be a tongue in cheek comedy, that isn't there.
He takes out swat teams bare handed, and if you give him a spoon he just does it faster. There's a scene where he walks into a kitchenware aisle and you feel sorry for the bad guys he's about to smite now that he's upping his weaponry. Although his 'skill' is acceptably done, it doesn't look like he spent much time training before the movie was filmed, and there are moments I thought about how Hollywood can make a kitten defeat the combined forces of the Russian army in WWII. without going all Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog feared by Tim the Enchanter (Monty Python Holy Grail).
The government spent $400 million on him, and then abandoned their investment -- is yet another of the unlikely plot points.
The plot is predictable. Incompetent government official tries to make a name for himself by assigning himself a violent op on home soil, competent but demoted government official objects and warns the 'hero' and enlists help of another government agent who gets himself arrested, several skirmishes, 'hero' doesn't really save anyone he should but instead just keeps killing until the bad guys stop.
Watchable, but don't spend a lot of money on it.
Budget $28 million. Gross $14 million. They rented a helicopter, and tents, and a little HE made a big fireball (you know, like HE doesn't).

Watched Ant-Man (2015)
3.5/5 (amazon 4.4/5 (heavily skewed towards 5 stars), imdb 7.5/10, rotten tomatoes 88%, AVS Ralph Potts: 4/5)
It wasn't greatness, nor as good as your average marvel film, but it was easily a worthy addition to the Marvel universe. Stan Lee makes his usual guest appearance.
At least it wasn't another retelling of the batman or superman creation myth.
Budget $130 million. Gross $180 million.
The CGI to make Michael Douglass younger at the beginning of the film for the flash backs to the WWII ant-man were well done, far better than what was done with Arnold Schwarzenegger.
The CGI of the Yellowjacket suit was less than impressive. The film attributes some of Yellowjacket's insanity to shrinking without a protective helmet, but he's got such tendencies when the film opens long before he tries on the yellow suit at the end.
Garrett Morris who portrays a cab driver in the film appeared as Ant Man in a Saturday Night Live (1975) sketch when Margot Kidder guest hosted. The sketch was a superhero cocktail party. When Ant-Man arrives, he's given a hard time by the other, more popular superheroes.
The Sherman tank was an obvious plot point.
The ten minutes of end credits contain two teasers.
BTW, comic book Tales To Astonish #35 is the first appearance of Ant-Man, not Tales To Astonish #37 often mentioned.
The special features newscaster wasn't that fun to watch, and the humor that the news network is owned by the bad guy and doing nothing but spin doctoring and character assassination got dry fast.
At the beginning of the film, set in 1989, the Triskelion is being constructed. The building was S.H.I.E.L.D's main quarters in Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).
Hank Pym wants Scott to use the Ant-Man technology to pull off a heist. In the comics, Lang stole the Ant-Man suit from Pym in hopes of pulling off enough heists to save his sick daughter; when Pym found out, he allowed him to keep the suit as long as he used it for heroic purposes.
According to Michael Douglas, the costume for Paul Rudd had to be altered because of his muscles. Rudd had gone on an extensive training and workout regimen in order to build the proper muscle size for a superhero, but Rudd had become so muscular, they had to soften his costume up.
(Not) Director Edgar Wright, a big fan of Ant-Man, proposed the film to Marvel in 2003, describing it as 'an action-adventure comedy; a cross-genre action and special effects bonanza.' He had been developing the movie since then, shooting a test reel, hiring the cast, and was close to begin shooting the movie. However, in 2014, he dropped out due to 'creative differences' between him and Disney, which had bought out Marvel Studios 5 years prior.
Edgar Wright wanted for the film to be completely stand-alone with no references to the other films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This did not match the plan for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This, among other factors, led to Wright leaving.
Originally the film was meant to focus on the original Ant-Man, Hank Pym. However, the filmmakers deemed Pym as having a too family-unfriendly history (Pym developed several split personalities, one of whom abused his girlfriend Janet) and instead decided to focus on Pym's successor Scott Lang, with Pym becoming a mentor and supporting character.
Disney announced that the sequel, Ant-Man and the Wasp, will be released on July 16, 2018

Last edited by BasementBob; 12-16-2015 at 04:24 AM.
post #8200 of 8212 Old 12-16-2015, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Sea of Sand (aka Desert Patrol) (1958)
3.9/5 (amazon 3.7/5, imdb 6.7/10, rotten tomatoes 53%)
Richard Attenborough
A small British army team is sent to destroy a German petrol dump as part of the preparation for a major attack in the North African campaign. Whilst they are there they spot a large number of tanks and realise that army intelligence must be informed or some Tommies are going to be in for a nasty surprise. The Germans are equally determined that they should not reach their base, and a tense chase across the desert is the result.
In October 1942, whilst the Eighth Army prepared for its onslaught upon the enemy at El Alamein, the Long Range Desert Group [L.R.D.G.] operating hundreds of miles behind the enemy lines, was harassing Rommel's communications and supply depots. This group of picked volunteers was cut off from the main army by the vast sand seas of the desert. Their methods were unorthodox, but the results they achieved were out of all proportion to the small number of men involved.
"Not by strength, by Guile"
A well done film. Good plot. Good acting. Good characters. Sacrificing themselves when tactics demanded it for the sake of their comrades in arms.

Played Apple Dumpling Gang (1975)
2/5 (imdb 6.3/10)
Bill Bixby, Don Knotts, Tim Conway
Wasn't as funny as I remembered it. Doesn't seem to stand up as well as it did when it was made.

Played (Herbie) The Love Bug (1968)
2.2/5 (imdb 6.4/10, rotten tomatoes 66%)
Wasn't as funny as I remembered it. Doesn't seem to stand up as well as it did when it was made.
Had some almost redeeming moments, but the pacing was too slow.
I'll have to have another look at 'Herbie: Fully Loaded (2005)' with Lindsay Lohan
I see on IMDB there's a 1997 version with Bruce Campbell, but it's both not available and with an imdb score of 5, it's probably not great anyway.

Last edited by BasementBob; 12-17-2015 at 10:52 AM.
post #8201 of 8212 Old 12-17-2015, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

The Fuse Is Back!

Watched Mission Impossible 5 Rogue Nation (2015)
4.9/5 (amazon 4.4/5, imdb 7.5/10, rotten tomatoes 93%, AVS Ralph Potts: 4/5, Decent Films: A)
First half 5/5, second half 4.8/5.
Constant intense, often deadly action violence and menace;
The film opens with Tom Cruse on the outside of an airplane as it takes off -- apparently done as a practical effect with the safety straps removed digitally. Wow. He did 8 takes, as in 8 takeoffs and landings. Wow.
The plane takeoff is spectacular.
The motorcycle chase is spectacular.
The concert hall is spectacular.
The villain is great.
The vault break-in is pure MI.
"Hunt is the living manifestation of destiny."

post #8202 of 8212 Old 12-18-2015, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post
The Fuse Is Back!

Watched Mission Impossible 5 Rogue Nation (2015)
4.9/5 (amazon 4.4/5, imdb 7.5/10, rotten tomatoes 93%, AVS Ralph Potts: 4/5, Decent Films: A)
First half 5/5, second half 4.8/5.
Constant intense, often deadly action violence and menace;
The film opens with Tom Cruse on the outside of an airplane as it takes off -- apparently done as a practical effect with the safety straps removed digitally. Wow. He did 8 takes, as in 8 takeoffs and landings. Wow.
The plane takeoff is spectacular.
The motorcycle chase is spectacular.
The concert hall is spectacular.
The villain is great.
The vault break-in is pure MI.
"Hunt is the living manifestation of destiny."
Ha! My lady and I watched this 2 nights ago and I planned jumping into this thread with the same title!.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation I give it a 3.9/5

I also felt that it was pretty damn decent. I did not like the first 3 all that much but Ghost Protocol was great and this one was pretty good too. A/V was outstanding and as you said, the motorcycle chase was epic. Probably my favorite part, especially with the surround sound fully kicking in when it would show the rider view with all the cars whooshing by!
post #8203 of 8212 Old 12-20-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 97
!!!!!!!!spoiler alert!!!!!!!

I did something today that I can't remember the last time I did it. I went to a commercial theater to see Star Wars the Force Awakens. I'll give you a moment to stop reading if you haven't seen it yet. 3........2.........1........You have been duly warned.

First off J.J. Abrams did not screw it up......that was my biggest concern that he would J.J. Abrams it, he did a little but nothing out of the ordinary. I try to go into all films without any preconceived ideas and not buying into all the hype. This just was not possible considering the nature of this particular beast. I was fortunate enough to grow up with the original trilogy and all the toys and action figures (just wish I had all of those now) it was a good time to be a kid. I can remember the magic that was Star Wars and watching with wide eyes in the theater as the story unfolded. I was hoping this film would have captured that feeling or at least rekindled it. To that end for me the film fell a little short. While supposedly taking place 30 years after return of the Jedi it could actually pretty much stand on its own as there are some connecting themes but it is easy to see the torch is being passed to new players. My one biggest nitpick with the film is that it follows the same story line as A New Hope and Return of the Jedi. There is a Death Star (or in this film an even bigger death planet) and they need to blow it up. I know right very original.
Spoiler!
With the same plot as IV and VI I was disappointed there was not really any new thoughts in story telling. Some of the action sequences happen so fast you don't really have time to enjoy them like in the other films. There just did not seem to be the character development there should have been. I did not find myself getting emotionally engaged with the new characters as I did the old cast. Obviously the end of the film sets up the transition right into the next installment of the franchise. I know my ramblings here seem to indicate I did not like the film, quite the contrary. I did like the film and enjoyed it very much however and just tried to let the film stand on its own....I couldn't believe it was over as fast as it was, as I have had a few hours to reflect on this film I have come to a simple conclusion........This is not the older (my) generation Star Wars..........it is this younger generations Star Wars.

As far as audio and video presentation in my local independent digital theater there is no reason why this won't be a reference disc when released on BR

3.75/5

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #8204 of 8212 Old 12-20-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Gday RT and a merry Christmas to you and yours. I did exactly the same.....shelled out 53 bucks for a couple of premium seating tickets in the comfy seats (not as good as home) in 3D. I must say that i could have stayed and watched it again. It paid fine tribute to A New Hope without the soap opera of The Phantom Menace. And no Jar Jar. With any luck he died of natural causes. Was great to see the old faces again, with enough twists and turns to play with the emotions. Sound was amazing....will be my go to disc in future i think. 3D was awesome and offered fantastic depth of field rather than any real gimmicky pop outs. Worth seeing at the movies but i think many here will enjoy it equally at home on the big screen. Solid 8.5/10 for me. i don't think any movie could match tbe hype but this one is pretty damned close. Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Follow my thread here
post #8205 of 8212 Old 12-21-2015, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
First off J.J. Abrams did not screw it up......
My one biggest nitpick with the film is that it follows the same story line as A New Hope
George Lucas, around the time of writing A New Hope IV (1977), wrote outlines for I, II, III, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX. As we all know, Lucas made V, VI, and I, II, III, but not VII, VIII, IX.
Abrams, apparently had a look at the outline for VII, and decided to remake IV instead.

post #8206 of 8212 Old 12-27-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched The Secret in Their Eyes (2009, Argentina)
4/5 (amazon 4.6/5 (massively 5 star), imdb 8.2/10, rotten tomatoes 91%/93%, Roger Ebert 4/4, MetaCritic 80/87)
English Subtitles.
Won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film at the 82nd Academy Awards.
Director Juan Jose Campanella has won 36 awards and 18 nominations. His films have definitely an Argentinean flavor and at the same time express universal human emotions and recognizable values and endearing characters.
The wonder is that the film balances its many genres, from the thorns of murder to the bloom of romance to the thickets of politics, with such easy grace.
The performances are tender, the script elegant, the cinematography (especially during a virtuoso chase scene in a soccer stadium) artful.
The film explores what 'passion' is to the human being. A great passion (on various areas) is involved in almost all characters.
The story follows: in a small downtown apartment a young wife is raped and murdered. Benjamin Esposito is the Court investigator assigned to the case and unusual gory crime scene steels him into a fervent desire to discover and punish the criminal.
With the help of his boss, Court Secretary Irene Menendez Hastings, and dipsomaniac clerk Pablo Sandoval he solves the case against the opposition of Judge Lacalle.
Those were turbulent years in Argentina under military dictatorship and a strange combination of issues sends Benjamin into forced internal exile and the wrongdoer not only goes free but enters the police force.
Many years after these events, the lives of the main characters cross again giving way to dramatic ending. (plot with spoilers at wiki).

post #8207 of 8212 Old 01-12-2016, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched The Walk
3/5 (amazon 4.5/5, imdb 7.5, rotten tomatoes 82%, MetaCritic 70%, AVS Ralph Potts: 4.5/5)
Based on reviews I had high expectations going into this film, which weren't met. But it was easily a very pleasant film.
I found the first three quarters of this film pedestrian (pun intended), never really rising to the heist movie excitement, and then he walks across in a two minute stroll and it's almost anticlimactic -- but I had forgotten he spent 45 minutes walking, dancing, kneeling, and lying on that wire, performing "the artistic crime of the century." The wire walk is worth the wait.
In 1974, high-wire artist Philippe Petit recruits a team of people to help him realize his dream: to walk the immense void between the World Trade Center towers.
Lots of CGI, including the 2D to 3D conversion. PG-rated. (I watched the 2D.)
Actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt did the wire walk in a green room with the wire 10 feet above the ground while wearing a safety harness connected to the ceiling. Philippe Petit shrugged off the safety harness idea as being against The Art of it, and walked at 1,362 through fog and wind and birds.
Previous films about this 1974 walk, including Man on Wire (2008), were arguably better in many respects, but lacked the walk itself.
Budget $35 million. Gross $6 million.

post #8208 of 8212 Old 01-13-2016, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
RT, good write up on "The Force Awakens". However, I couldn't forgive the shortcomings you mentioned. It was a "good" movie, but I wouldn't have made it unless I had no doubt that it eclipsed expectations. For me, great is not acceptable with this franchise.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #8209 of 8212 Old 01-25-2016, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched The Martian (2015)
4.3/5 (amazon 4.4/5, imdb 8.1/10, rotten tomatoes 93%, AVS Ralph Potts: No Stars AVS Bug, Bishop Robert Barron)
Great popcorn movie. Best thing I've seen in months.
Staring: Val Kilmer, Carrie-Anne Moss, as they walk about the Red Planet.
This film has a female mission commander, a crew of six, pre-launch HABs, the crew stranded on Mars, radio communications re-established using Pathfinder, long travel between past and future Mars mission locations, relaunch into orbit using existing rocket that must be stripped down, relaunch causes front of vehicle to be exposed, relaunch fainting, crew member love interest sub-plot, the main orbiter ship venting air causing orbit trajectory changes, robot wanders around outside HAB or pathfinder wandering around inside HAB, computer expert reprograms something to make the movie possible.
Some interesting bits of science, vetted by NASA -- with a few flaws for dramatic effect.
(Matt Damon commented how wonderful it was to get a totally unique script, without copying any ideas from anything in the past.)

Last edited by BasementBob; 01-25-2016 at 04:45 PM.
post #8210 of 8212 Old Yesterday, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched Hyena Road (2015)
3.9/5 (amazon 4.6/5, imdb 6.6/10, rotten tomatoes 76%)
One of the best modern warfare movies I can recall, set in Afghanistan in this decade.
The opposing points of view form the backbone of the film, as explored through a mix of pulse-pounding action scenes and less explosive expositional speeches.
Stationed with Canadian ground troops at Kandahar airfield, Ryan Sanders (Rossif Sutherland) leads a team of snipers protecting construction crews building a highway through the interior of the country, colloquially known as Hyena Road.
The opening sequence has adept military shooter Sanders taking out an IED in the middle of a frequently traveled desert road. The modest victory leads to Sanders and his three man team on the run from an opposition horde. When they’re forced to take shelter in the home of a village elder (Niamatullah Arghandabi), Sanders’ men assume the elder will give them up, but he winds up saving their lives only to disappear immediately after.
Pete (Paul Gross), intelligence officer, sees their entire mission as a chess game involving keeping warlords at cross-purposes.
This is a movie that lightly questions the value of military intervention even as it revels in its hardware and discipline; it unflinchingly depicts brutal casualties of war even as it breaks for sitcom-y moments of comic relief; it listens intently to unsubtitled conversations between Afghani power brokers while employing a Man Friday caricature with a recurring gimmick.
The war story featuring good people making the best of a bad situation may feel very familiar, but it is a better kind of familiarity that also characterizes Hyena Road. These are not the kind of folks you are used to seeing onscreen, but rather the kind you meet in life: They are a cheerful crew of well-meaning Canadians, usually hard-working and competent, often unsuccessful, but never dispirited. As both director and star, Gross leads a strong ensemble full of low-key naturalism. The movie is continually animated by their small touches.
Firefights. Urban combat. Artillery. Intelligence. Politics. Customs. Honor and history. War. And a general trying to build a road.
Depictions of the equipment being used, from infantry to command and control to vehicles, looked good to me.
I heard Paul Gross's familiar voice but with his grey hair and beard it took me a moment to locate him on the screen. His narrative anecdotes were interesting too.
Hyena Road had a budget of $12.5-million – huge for a Canadian film – and was shot in 30 days between film sets in Jordan and on the Shilo military base in Manitoba.
They did an amazing job with that budget. Tech-wise, the film rarely falters. Karim Hussain’s roving HD camerawork puts viewers directly in the mix with the soldiers, whether that’s harrowing moments on the battlefield or talkier sequences back on the base.

post #8211 of 8212 Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3070 Post(s)
Liked: 1904
I also watched Hyena Road this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it!
post #8212 of 8212 Old Today, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Tonight watching Hotel Transylvania 2 then The Martian! I'm stoked! going to sip on a few Caucasians and Oat Sodas for sure while I put muh feet up! I love Friday nights with nothing to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread