Now Showing - What We Watched - Page 275 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #8221 of 8236 Old 06-15-2016, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
BTW, has everyone stopped watching movies?
Life and Death has been in the way the last few months...
Deja Vu
First time I watched last weekend, can't go wrong with a Tony Scott, Jerry Bruckhiemer, Denzel Washington Movie...

Revenant
Watched a month or so back, I loved it, watched the BD version although I have the UHD BD but no player...
Excellent PQ & AQ.

The Hateful Eight IMDb 7.9
Another one that flew by, UHD PQ off Amazon was fantastic, dialogue, Kurt Russell, Samuel L. Jackson, can't go wrong with this Tarantino gem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8222 of 8236 Old 06-16-2016, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Haven't checked in here for a while!

Last night we went out to the Ohio Theater - a fully restored 1928 Lowes palace, including the Mighty Morgan organ, that rises out of the orchestra pit.

We watched, "Double Indemnity," a true classic and still packs a punch.
post #8223 of 8236 Old 06-16-2016, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Dead Pool - BR - Blind buy - Well, well, well. Finally a diamond in the rough, something finally surprised me in a good way. I love super hero movies, Captain America, Iron Man, Batman, The Avengers, and on and on. This is NOT that type of superhero movie. Lots of dark humor, one liners, gore, guns, and explosions. I'd say this movie is one of the better movies I have watched lately and loved all of the other references to other super hero movies along the way. I was wondering how Ryan Reynolds would be as Dead Pool and now I couldn't imagine any one else being Mr. Pool. I'd say a solid 4/5 on the RTROSEOMETER.

Regards,

RTROSE
Alan P and J_P_A like this.

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #8224 of 8236 Old 10-18-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow! No updates since June 16th. What has everyone been doing? @BasementBob any good movies lately?

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #8225 of 8236 Old 10-18-2016, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 224
At least two of us watch and appreciate this thread:smiley::smiley:

My contribution: saw "Deepwater Horizon" at the cinema, could be a winner on BR
post #8226 of 8236 Old 10-19-2016, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We watched Batman vs Superman' I liked it ' better than I thought. Also the Shallows' fair but the ending ruins the movie.
post #8227 of 8236 Old 10-19-2016, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Triple 9 - Netflix Blue Ray - Ummmmm.........long story short don't bother. Typically I love bad cop movies, and this one had lots of potential but fell flat. I know that when you watch movies you are supposed to suspend the reality meter somewhat, but this movie just expects you to suspend the reality meter just a little too far to have any realistic chance of anything like this happening. 1.5/5 on the RTROSEOMETER.

Regards,

RTROSE

On a side note I just upgraded my Netflix to BR over standard DVD. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

post #8228 of 8236 Old 11-01-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 263
We watched Star Trek Beyond on Blu-ray last night after the Halloween crowd died down. To me it was as good as the first reboot movie, if not better. I've been going through the old episodes via BBC American, and it had the tone of the original series.

Sunday night we did Hitchcock's The Birds via BBC America. For some reason my wife really likes the movie so I try to sit through it once a year for her. Not the director's best work.

Saturday night was Pride and Prejudice and Zombies via cable. Not bad for a "free movie", but I wouldn't recommend buying it.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...eap-build.html
Epson HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9 - 143.5" 2.35:1; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.3; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 2 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #8229 of 8236 Old 11-08-2016, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

STB was a blind buy for me, hoping this one lives up to the other two. I have it ready to go, just have to have time to watch it.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #8230 of 8236 Old 11-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I watched the shallows recently. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I was excited to see a "Jaws" like fun movie but this one fell a bit short I think. I'm not hard to please either as I'm pretty easy going. Not saying this was all together horrible. It was beautifully shot and the main actress did a fine job and was fun to look at for sure! The story for me was a bit lame and I found myself almost rooting for the shark by the end of it.

post #8231 of 8236 Old 11-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofool View Post
We watched Batman vs Superman' I liked it ' better than I thought. Also the Shallows' fair but the ending ruins the movie.

Ditto on the shallows. I was almost pissed at the end.
post #8232 of 8236 Old 11-11-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Captain America Civil War - Netflix Bluray - Marvel comes through! I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed the movie. I watched it in the theater but it was late so I could not watch at a volume that would really give the sub a workout so I can't comment on that. I'd say as another installment in the Avengers saga this a a solid effort. 4/5 on the RTROSEOMETER.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #8233 of 8236 Old 11-14-2016, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

I watched Warcraft in 3d this weekend. I really like this movie. I was a fan of the game and played it for years when it first came out. Now that I have a family and less time I don't play anymore but I thought they did a good job on the movie. My neighbor came over to watch and he had never played the game he really liked the movie so I think it holds up. I'm personally hoping for a sequel but not sure will see one as I don't think it did that well at the box office. The 3d on my 135inch screen was awesome!

post #8234 of 8236 Old 11-20-2016, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 263
With everyone home for the holiday, yesterday morning we started with Finding Dory:

While the movie was well worth the price some of the magic from Finding Nemo was lost. It could be that my kids are now 13 years older (grown) and some of the magic of watching a cartoon with them is gone. Once again all three of the girls (wife/daughters) refused to watch it in 3D so I'll have to watch it in a few weeks in 3D.

As a parent of a disabled child, I've got to shout out to both Finding Nemo and Finding Dory for dealing with disabilities and introducing the characters to children.

For the evening movie, we rented 10 Cloverfield Lane for 99 cents OnDemand:

We thoroughly enjoyed the movie, but we did discuss the movie as we watched it with each of us offering opinions as to what was actually going on, so I think "home" audience participation helped this one.

Finally, we watched a Hallmark movie, Every Christmas Has a Story:

Two of my girls (one can't stand them) got me started watching Hallmark and some are surprisingly good. This one was not and another attempt at an actress trying to get her daughter some screen time. I was sitting there thinking this must be somebodies kid when my daughter said the exact same thing while adding a comment about bad acting.

Also, one last comment on plastic surgery. The actress has been in many Hallmark movies the last few years and she looked fantastic. In this one, all I could see is the "work" she has had done, and I can't say it helped her.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...eap-build.html
Epson HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9 - 143.5" 2.35:1; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.3; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 2 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.

Last edited by steve1106; 11-20-2016 at 06:50 AM.
post #8235 of 8236 Old 11-20-2016, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I watched Guardians of the Galaxy for the first time in 3D (blu-ray) - I would have to say it's the best 3D presentation for a Marvel film so far, and probably the only one that is clearly superior to its 2D counterpart. The one nitpick I have is with all the aspect ratio switching, they might as well have presented the entire film in 16x9.

Now it's possible Dr. Strange could have even better 3D - I saw it at the theater and the visuals were very good. We'll just have to wait and see once the blu-ray is released
post #8236 of 8236 Old Today, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

I havn't watched this one yet but it's getting watched this tonight possibly. Not sure how I missed this one for this long?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1629374/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page