Now Showing - What We Watched - Page 276 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #8251 of 8269 Old 01-30-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5032 Post(s)
Liked: 3709
This weekend, I watched:

The Monster
VERY well done, low budget, practical effects only, horror movie. It had some great character development for a movie of this type. I really liked it. 7.0/10

Suffragette
I'll watch pretty much anything that Carey Mulligan is in (LOVED her in Drive!), however, this one was kind of just "meh" for me. I didn't overly like it or not like it...just kind of "meh". 5.5/10

Alien (1979)
A classic that I've probably seen 20 or more times over the years. I watched in remembrance of John Hurt (who passed this weekend). IMO, Alien is one of the best horror movies ever made. 8.5/10

The Wannabe
Sort of "Goodfellas meets True Romance". Hard to believe it was based on a true story because the two protaganists are complete idiots. I did enjoy the movie, but not worth a re-watch. 6.5/10

He Never Died
OK, if you've never seen this, try to go in blind. I did, and I think I enjoyed it more because of it. I will tell you that this is one very different take on a well covered genre. Henry Rollins absolutely nails it and some of his lines had me laughing so hard I had to pause the movie so I didn't miss anything. As an added bonus, the bass was out of this world! A bit over the top at times, but lots of deep, low drones and hits throughout.

Racing Extinction
As the top review on IMDB says, "Documentary that you'd never think could make you cry...". Well, I did, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. This documentary about Earth's 6th Extinction (our own) was very eye-opening for me. These really could be the end times, and there is little we can do about it at this point unless some sweeping changes are made. Watching this very well done movie was quite a depressing (although uplifting at times) experience for me. 8.5/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8252 of 8269 Old 01-30-2017, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 169
^^^^I'm with you on Alien, I was 9 when it came out and I think 10 when it hit HBO and I saw it for the first time. Still holds up really well and have seen it probably as many times as you and it still gives me the willies. It totally scared me senseless when I saw it for the first time and I don't think I slept for two days!

Regards,

RTROSE

I had the opportunity to watch Pete's Dragon Netflix BR - While not knowing much about the film going in (other than being a remake) I had high hopes, but those were dashed. The movie fell completely flat for me. In fact I actually turned it off and finished it the next evening. I did think that Elliot was done really well and had a little bit different look than the typical dragon but it worked for me. That was about the only highlight.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #8253 of 8269 Old 01-31-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 371
We watched "Don't Breathe" over the weekend via an Amazon rental. Unfortunately this is one we (wife, daughter, her boyfriend and I) couldn't say if it was good or bad. The consensus was that the movie was entertaining and kept our attention but we weren't sure how we felt about it. I think it was all the stupid mistakes/choices the characters made over and over that anyone with an IQ above 70 wouldn't do.

We all agreed "The Boy" the night before was a much better horror film even though the main characters in that movie also made choices no sane person would.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...eap-build.html
My simple HT: Epson HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 13/15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.3; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 2 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.

post #8254 of 8269 Old 01-31-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

But, but...Don't Breathe is a bass MONSTER! Doesn't that redeem it at least a little bit.
post #8255 of 8269 Old 01-31-2017, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm looking for input...

I'm getting my theater room installed and set up tomorrow, and have posed this question to my wife and coworkers-

Should the first movie we watch be my favorite movie (Dazed & Confused), or something I've never seen (Secret Life of Pets or ST Beyond)?

On the one hand, I have seen D&C so many times that it may help fine-tune the setup, as I know how it's supposed to look & sound. On the other, why not get the whole "theater experience" and go into something based only on trailers I've seen.

What say you, AVS?
post #8256 of 8269 Old 01-31-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 293
We watched Memphis Belle on bluray. I have owned the DVD but decided to buy the bluray version. Have to say I was very happy with the video quality over the DVD. Great movie as always.

Projector & Screen: Epson 5040ub Elite Screens 100" Electric Video: Oppo 103d Audio: Denon 4520ci Speakers: Infinity RS5 (LW L C R RW) Infinity RS1 (LH RH) Infinity Beta ES250 (SL SR) Subwoofers: 2 SI18d4 Martycubes with iNuke3000dsp and 2 Infinity BU120 Shakers: 4 ADX shakers with Dayton SA230 amp

My Builds--Media console build----Martycube build----ADX Bass Shaker Install
post #8257 of 8269 Old 01-31-2017, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
But, but...Don't Breathe is a bass MONSTER! Doesn't that redeem it at least a little bit.
I just have a simple 7.3 sound system and the bass seemed to go on forever, so bass fatigue set in for all of us. It is funny we actually talked about it having too much bass during the end credits, and decided to skip a second evening movie since the first kicked our rears..ears.

On movies, we just finished "Singing in the Rain" tonight. I remember it seeming better 30 plus years ago when I last watched it. Our family was underwhelmed and felt it was too much Gene Kelly/dancing and not enough Debbie Reynolds. Gene's decision to do a long musical "number" without out his co-stars near the end really hurt the movie for us. Mr. Ego...Gene felt Debbie wasn't good enough and Donald had a TV thing to do instead of the number, but fortunately we have three more Debbie Reynolds' films to watch, and we decided to get my favorite musical, "Paint Your Wagon" for the weekend.

My simple HT: Epson HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 13/15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.3; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 2 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #8258 of 8269 Old 01-31-2017, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post

I'm getting my theater room installed and set up tomorrow, and have posed this question to my wife and coworkers-

Should the first movie we watch be my favorite movie (Dazed & Confused), or something I've never seen (Secret Life of Pets or ST Beyond)?

On the one hand, I have seen D&C so many times that it may help fine-tune the setup, as I know how it's supposed to look & sound. On the other, why not get the whole "theater experience" and go into something based only on trailers I've seen.

What say you, AVS?
I've only seen Star Trek Beyond, so my vote is easy....ST Beyond.

post #8259 of 8269 Old 02-01-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post

What say you, AVS?
In a brand new home theater, you want to see and hear what it is capable of...Dazed & Confused (while a great movie!) won't do that. ST:B is severely lacking in the bass department (the response falls off a cliff below 40hz), but the visuals are pretty good.

I would recommend you watch the current reference for video and audio quality; Oblivion.

My 2 cents.
bluer101 likes this.
post #8260 of 8269 Old 02-01-2017, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Been forever since I posted in this thread.

This past weekend, the wife and I watched:

The Light Between Oceans

Enjoyed this very much...well, "enjoyed" may not be quite the right word considering the subject matter. It was very emotional and engaging, albeit a bit slow-moving at times. Beautiful cinematography and both Alicia Vikander and Michael Fassbender were absolutely stellar. Both performances were Oscar worthy IMO. 8.5/10

Denial

Enjoyed this as well. I'm a sucker for pretty much anything with Tom Wilkinson. A little piece of history that I was pretty much unaware of...I'm aware there are Holocaust "Deniers" but never knew it went to this extent. The courtroom scenes were great and some of the differences between UK courts and US courts are sometimes downright amusing and/or disturbing. 6.5/10

The Girl On The Train

I read the book and was mostly underwhelmed considering the hype...I enjoyed the movie more (unusual for me). Kind of a Gone Girl feel to it, but I don't think it was quite as good as GG. 7/10

Agree on all three of these recent watches for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H/T Set up:
Oppo UDP-203
FrontL&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Pioneer VSX-9140THX
post #8261 of 8269 Old 02-01-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
In a brand new home theater, you want to see and hear what it is capable of...Dazed & Confused (while a great movie!) won't do that. ST:B is severely lacking in the bass department (the response falls off a cliff below 40hz), but the visuals are pretty good.

I would recommend you watch the current reference for video and audio quality; Oblivion.

My 2 cents.
I'll second Oblivion, and I'll add War of the Worlds, Art of Flight, How to Train Your Dragon, Pacific Rim, and Cloverfield. These will all give your new system a workout for visuals and audio.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #8262 of 8269 Old 02-02-2017, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Don't Breathe is a bass MONSTER!

So is this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007TKGE4
Alan P and steve1106 like this.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #8263 of 8269 Old 02-06-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This weekend, I watched:

Arrival
I was really looking forward to this movie since I tend to like the more "thinking man's" sci-fi movies. I was most assuredly not disappointed with the story in Arrival. It was beautifully shot, although some of the scenes were (intentionally) washed-out with less than stellar black levels. I understand it was a conscious, creative decision, but it was still a bit off-putting. The message of this film was not lost on me, and has me thinking about it days later. 8.5/10

The 9th Life of Louis Drax
This one is sort of sci-fi as well. A well thought out storyline and good acting all around. Comes with a nice twist at the end that you may or may not see coming. 7/10

Loving
Very well done period piece on the struggle that interracial couples faced in the '50s and '60s. Ruth Negga did an adequate job, but 'Best Actress' worthy...? Not too sure about that one (although I LOVE her as Tulip in Preacher!). 7.5/10

The BFG
Really liked it a lot! The BFG himself was one of the best characters ever, loved all his little idiosyncrasies. 7.5/10

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
While visually stunning, this one kind of just fell flat for me. I couldn't get really invested in the characters or the story at all it seemed. Guess I was expecting more and it may deserve a second viewing to see if it was just my mood at the time. 5/10
post #8264 of 8269 Old 02-13-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

***Is anyone following this thread anymore??? I'm still gonna post anyways....

This weekend, I watched:

A Monster Calls
A well done story of how a boy deals with his young mother's terminal illness. Liam Neesen was great as the "monster". Also, lot's of great bass when the monster shows up! 7.0/10

The Edge of Seventeen
Nothing we haven't seen before (and haven't seen done better before); Hailee Steinfeld plays an awkward teen in a coming-of-age story. While I like Hailee Steinfeld overall, and her performance here was good, the movie for me was just kind of "meh". 6.0/10

Manchester By the Sea
I was really looking forward to this one, but was ultimately disappointed. Considering all the hype surrounding it, I was expecting more...much more. There is way too much praise being tossed around for both Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams performances here. IMO, both performances were not up to either of their usual standards (loved Michelle in Blue Valentine and Casey has been awesome in any number of other rolls). Both fell flat for me in this film. Since seeing this, I've been referring to it as "Boredom By the Sea". 5.0/10 <---Really not that bad of a movie, but expectation were high, so.......

Hacksaw Ridge
Now, here's a movie that (mostly) lives up to the hype! A little bit on the preachy side in the first hour or so, but then it becomes one of the most brutal, intense and nerve-racking war films in recent memory. IMO, the weakest link in this film is Vince Vaughn's performance, obviously trying to emulate the classic Gny. Sgt. Hartman in Full Metal Jacket...he just can't quite pull it off. The soundtrack does not disappoint though; great use of the surrounds and bass for days! 8.0/10
post #8265 of 8269 Old 02-13-2017, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I still follow the thread and have picked up some good suggestions that I would have otherwise overlooked. I haven't added anything because I am not watching any movies until my basement project is mostly done!
Alan P likes this.

- Eric

xkcd
post #8266 of 8269 Old 02-20-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This weekend, I watched:

8 Mile
Probably my fourth or fifth viewing but it had been awhile. Still love this movie! 8.0/10

The Revenant
Wanted to see what it looked like on my new Sony 940D...it did not disappoint! Blacks were stellar, and picture quality was some of the best I've seen...and this was only 1080p. 8.5/10

Abandoned
Mediocre "lost at sea" film. Not horrible, not great. Some good performances...some not so good. Based on an incredible true story though. 6.0/10

Doctor Strange
Well, I can see why this was Oscar nominated for the effects, they are truly astounding! The movie itself was pretty good as well. 7.5/10

Moonlight
Best picture? Hmmm...it was good, but not that good. As a friend of mine said, "it's the best movie I've seen that I never want to watch again.". 7.0/10

Nocturnal Animals
WTF did I just watch?? A movie within a movie, with the movie that was within the movie being much better than the actual movie IMO. Jake Gyllenhall was great and so was Amy Adams. The opening credits kind of threw me for a loop..... 6.5/10

The Shallows
Second time through, it held up well, and Blake Lively is certainly easy on the eyes. 7.0/10
post #8267 of 8269 Old 03-06-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Over the past two weekends, I watched:

Layer Cake
One of my favorites from Daniel Craig, and Tom Hardy is great in this one! 8.5/10

Lion
This one really got to me...it's one of those movies that you think about long after viewing. Dev Patel was great and definitely a change of pace for him. 8/10

Fences
IMO, Denzel should have won the Oscar for Best Actor for this, his performance was one of his best. Viola Davis deserved best actress as well (and won for supporting actress). You can tell right off that the film was based on a play, and the locations are very limited, but this does not detract from the power of the performances at all...as a matter of fact, it emphasizes them. 8.5/10

Don't Knock Twice
A mostly forgettable entry into the horror genre...nothing much to speak of here. 5/10

Allied
Somehow, this film completely slipped under my radar. Starring Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard and directed by Robert Zemeckis, this is a war/spy movie for the ages. I loved it! 8/10

Bleed For This
I'm always up for a good boxing movie, and I'm mostly always a fan of Miles Teller's work. While this one covers a lot of ground that you've seen before, it still resonates because it is based on a true story of incredible guts & persistence. 7/10

Jackie
I'm sorry, but I was quite bored while watching Jackie...and I have no idea how Natalie Portman was nominated for this. There were many better performances last year. 6/10

Passengers
Described by a lot of people as "a chick-flick in space", and hated by a good many of them...personally, I was sucked in hook, line and sinker. I laughed, I cried...I loved it! 8.5/10

Man Down
Wow. Just...wow. If you have no idea what this movie is about, go in blind...it will blow you away. Shia LaBeouf has really stepped up his acting game lately (Fury) and is simply flawless in this film. I was emotionally drained by the end of it and just sat in stunned silence throughout the entire credits. 9/10

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Ummm...what?? I must have fell asleep at least three times trying to finish it. 5/10

Collateral Beauty
I'm glad I watched this a day after Man Down. If they would have been back to back, I think I may have needed to see a therapist! This film is simply devastating, and especially so if you have, or, God forbid, have lost a child. Will Smith's performance was poignant, understated and simply perfect. Keep the tissues handy...if you have a heart at all you will be crying through most of this heart-wrenching film. 9/10

A Street Cat Name Bob
I really needed this after Collateral Beauty. The uplifting, true story of a junkie saved by a cat named Bob. Even if you aren't a cat lover, you will fall head over heels for Bob! Great movie. 8/10
post #8268 of 8269 Old 03-06-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 285
We watched Finding Dory last night. We'd had it for a while, but just got around to watching.

It was a good movie. I liked Finding Nemo a little better, but this movie was still could. Could probably stand on its own, but the nostalgia of the first one bumped this a bit.
post #8269 of 8269 Old 03-06-2017, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Finally got around to seeing Deadpool the other day. As a lifelong non-comic book guy, and having avoided most of the new DC & Marvel movies, I freaking loved this movie. Great sound, visuals, sarcasm... everything I wanted to see. As soon as I finished watching it off the DirecTV DVR, I put the Blu on my Amazon wishlist.
Alan P and RTROSE like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Spy Game Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , X Men First Class Digital Copy Blu Ray , The Bourne Identity Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page