Basement Theater/Gaming/Bar/Dream Room Build and Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-15-2017, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Basement Theater/Gaming/Bar/Dream Room Build and Help

I guess it's time for me to start this thread. Purchased a condo last Fall almost a year in the place and I'm finally able to get to my basement theater/gaming/bar room build. Things are starting to ramp up quickly and I need to bounce some ideas off the experts on here, so while right now this thread won't be very impressive, I hope it starts informative for others working on builds as well.

Some background on me.... I work in the TV industry, so I do want to put together the best build possible however I do have some limits (ie I still need to pay bills every month) so while I have a general plan in my head my goal is the best bang for the buck. Certain components I'm spending a little more now because I hope they last me for awhile down the road, and other components I'm not going all out on at the moment.

What I want out of the build. 4K for movie and gaming. This will also get some TV watching but won't be the main TV screen. Dolby Atmos, planning on 7.1.4, though I'm well aware the space might not be optimal for it, but again I know this isn't my last home.

The Space
Finished basement, new flooring and paint be done. Bar area to be built probably come early 2018. I'll add detailed measurements and a floorplan in the next few days, my brother is currently drafting it for me.

Component Plan
TV: Vizio P65 - still up for debate, I have an M series and love it, and the price is great, game lag marginal but hell it's better then any tv I've ever had so not the end of the world. My biggest selling point is the FALD panel, as I truly hate edge-lit tvs, I've had so many issues in the past. One day will add a projector and screen for movie viewing, but right now 4K, HDR for gmaes and movies is what I want

AVR: Denon x6300H - just purchased. Got a great deal since it seems retailers are trying to move them before the new model hits next month. Went with this AVR for the ATMOS support and 11 channel amp built in. No need for an external. Also we use various Denon AVRs at work, and been very happy with them.

Speakers: Real debate and need input here. Was thinking of the following as it would probably be the best bang for the buck:
Open to suggestions for L C R looking to stay in the $100-120 range for each speaker if possible.
Micca M-8S for sides
Micca M-8C as ATMOS overheads

Overheads would be in-ceiling as I have a drop ceiling. 2 in front of he seat and two behind the seats.

Seating: HTmarket Seats is the plan, row of 4 with a center loveseat

Devices: Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield, possibly an AppleTV as I use DirectTV Now for TV service and currently no official app on Xbox or Shield, can sideload on Shield but it's not the best experience.

This angle is from the "front" towards the "back" the room is split in half by support columns. Front half is theater, back half is bar.

Reverse angle

First bit of work so far, removing old carpet and replacing with old laminate flooring that was on the main level, that I replaced when I first moved in.

Bi-Fold Doors are already gone, building barn doors that will be on sliders to replace. Tiny "Harry Potter" door is gone, equipment rack already in it's place still have to square off the hole though. I'll have full access to the back of the equipment through the closet, it's all open and is connected to the drop ceiling void so ventilation should be fine. The basement does have a central air supply so if needed I can add a vent to let more air exchange if needed.

8/22 UPDATE

Not much of an update but the closet doors are built and installed. Next task is to paint then get the carpet replaced.

That is all for now, will post some more progress next week as the doors should be in place and I'll hopefully have the better floorplan. The biggest thing is the speaker layout and choices really. The actual theater space as of now will be more square then rectangular, I was thinking of turning it but then it limits my use behind the seats if I have more people over. The plan is a bar top and stools between the columns so people can sit and see the TV.

Thanks in advanced hopefully I was sorta clear.

Last edited by jlomaga; 08-22-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-16-2017, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I don't think you need to worry about bi-poles if you're only going to have one row(but I'm no expert). I'm just imagining how the sound will travel in relation to seating.

Are you planning for an area rug in the theater area? That flooring is going to echo bad. I notice a HUGE difference when walking from my game area with hard floors to my carpeted theater.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-16-2017, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberk View Post
I don't think you need to worry about bi-poles if you're only going to have one row(but I'm no expert). I'm just imagining how the sound will travel in relation to seating.

Are you planning for an area rug in the theater area? That flooring is going to echo bad. I notice a HUGE difference when walking from my game area with hard floors to my carpeted theater.
Forgot to mention that, theater half will be fully carpeted.

As far as the bipoles go from what I?ve read they help cut down on the directness of a normal speaker which helps not blow the person stuck right next to it out of the seat. Now I won?t be sitting in that seat since I?ll be centered, so it?s not a major issue for me lol.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomaga View Post
Forgot to mention that, theater half will be fully carpeted.

As far as the bipoles go from what I?ve read they help cut down on the directness of a normal speaker which helps not blow the person stuck right next to it out of the seat. Now I won?t be sitting in that seat since I?ll be centered, so it?s not a major issue for me lol.
That bit about the bi-poles does make sense, but from my years of scrolling through threads here, I haven't seen it done. I have always seen bi-poles used where multiple rows were being trying to be accommodated.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-16-2017, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberk View Post
That bit about the bi-poles does make sense, but from my years of scrolling through threads here, I haven't seen it done. I have always seen bi-poles used where multiple rows were being trying to be accommodated.
My other thought is get the set and the bipoles, see which works best, the bipoles can always be used nicely for the rears. But also see what other feedback and ideas I get here. Speakers will probably be the last thing to purchase since they are quickly obtained.

Also looked at your build, see you have a similar speaker situation, I could also do in-wall on the side that the seating will be against, but the other side is a bit more challenging due to a floor support and the stairs.

Last edited by jlomaga; 08-16-2017 at 12:56 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-22-2017, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update, closet door is finally built and up.

Made a few changes, going to go with in-wall speakers for the sides, Micca M-8S, two reasons. slightly improves on the couch positioning situation, also means I have less of a wall to patch up where the funny shape under stairs door was. Now that I'm also piecing the speakers together I might hold off on the rears for now and just spend a little more on higher end fronts.

Suggestions on floorstanding and a center that would be in the range of 100-120ish each would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page