New home theater build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By nwbearcat21
  • 1 Post By nwbearcat21
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-16-2017, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nwbearcat21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
New home construction, theater build

We are building a new house and I've got the go ahead to put a general use theater area in the basement. It isn't a huge room but will work for what I am wanting. The house is a split level design so the basement won't be completely closed off. I am going to put blinds and blackout curtains on the window that is on the side of the room. The Projector screen will go on the wall that you are looking straight at in the picture. No Light comes in from the front door stairs area which will be nice.

It will be used for TV, sports, movies, and gaming. I am hoping to go with a 100 in Silver Ticket 16:9 Screen and also have a 32in tv on either side of the screen so I can watch 3 games at once. The two secondary tv's will only have directv hooked up to them. The projector will have directv, 4k blu ray player, ps4, and a streaming device hooked up to it.

For equipment I am looking at the Epson 5040ub for my projector due to the brightness, quality, and price. Will have to get a new AVR but not sure which yet. The speakers and other pieces I will have to add as I go due to budget. I have Infinity Alpha 50's for the fronts and center channel that I will use for now. I am looking to go with a 7.1.4 Atmos setup. Other than the front 3 speakers the others will need to be in wall/ in ceiling speakers.

Curious what I should do as far as placement of speakers, projector, and also the can lights in the room? We have not done our electrical walk through yet as they have just started framing so we can still decide all of this.

I am including the plans and also pictures of the basement area from a finished model home with the same basement. The ceilings are 9 feet high and the other measurements are on the plans. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I have not done this before. Been reading on here for years so excited to finally get something of my own!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2133.JPEG (57.3 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2144.JPEG (86.5 KB, 170 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EPSON002.PDF (90.7 KB, 108 views)
chadsmith013 likes this.

Last edited by nwbearcat21; 08-16-2017 at 01:52 PM.
nwbearcat21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 08-16-2017, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nwbearcat21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If need be for sound quality I might get the wife to let me have the rear speakers on stands, also thinking maybe the Denon X6300H for the AVR since it has the 11 channels already built in.
nwbearcat21 is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 08-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Member
 
jlomaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbearcat21 View Post
If need be for sound quality I might get the wife to let me have the rear speakers on stands, also thinking maybe the Denon X6300H for the AVR since it has the 11 channels already built in.
I second the Denon idea, it's the route I'm going with my build, no need to deal with a separate amp, plus the price has dropped recently since the new models launch next month.
jlomaga is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 Old 08-17-2017, 06:45 AM
Member
 
woodgieroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbearcat21 View Post
Curious what I should do as far as placement of speakers, projector, and also the can lights in the room?
The projector (and therefore power, HDMI, network, etc) location will be decided by the size of the image you want and the throw distance of the projector. For the Epson at a 100" image, you'll need to mount the projector anywhere from 9'-10" to 20'-8.1"(so pretty much anywhere in the room). I do think you should mock up what a 100" screen looks like with the two 32". Personally, I'd find three things on distracting and would rather have a 150" screen and skip the TVs but obviously that's your call.

For the speakers, the fronts are easy enough but the rears are a bit difficult with the stairs. I think I'd look at doing something like the attached image.

Either 4 or 6 can lights (depending on the size of the room) laid out symmetrically and either on a dimmer or, better yet, a dimmer switch that can be used with a universal remote. Not having to get up to turn off the lights is glorious!

Hope that helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment1.jpg (235.4 KB, 68 views)
woodgieroo is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 08-17-2017, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nwbearcat21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgieroo View Post
The projector (and therefore power, HDMI, network, etc) location will be decided by the size of the image you want and the throw distance of the projector. For the Epson at a 100" image, you'll need to mount the projector anywhere from 9'-10" to 20'-8.1"(so pretty much anywhere in the room). I do think you should mock up what a 100" screen looks like with the two 32". Personally, I'd find three things on distracting and would rather have a 150" screen and skip the TVs but obviously that's your call.

For the speakers, the fronts are easy enough but the rears are a bit difficult with the stairs. I think I'd look at doing something like the attached image.

Either 4 or 6 can lights (depending on the size of the room) laid out symmetrically and either on a dimmer or, better yet, a dimmer switch that can be used with a universal remote. Not having to get up to turn off the lights is glorious!

Hope that helps!
I know what you mean about the distraction, but the reason for 3 is for sports, sunday ticket etc. When we are watching a movie or gaming the 2 side tv's would be turned off. For the lighting I think I am going to go with hue bulbs so I can completely control them either all at once or individually.

I will look at that for the speakers!
Myetkt likes this.
nwbearcat21 is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 09-05-2017, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nwbearcat21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbearcat21 View Post
I know what you mean about the distraction, but the reason for 3 is for sports, sunday ticket etc. When we are watching a movie or gaming the 2 side tv's would be turned off. For the lighting I think I am going to go with hue bulbs so I can completely control them either all at once or individually.

I will look at that for the speakers!
What would you all recommend for seating since it isn't a huge space?
nwbearcat21 is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 09-05-2017, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nwbearcat21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbearcat21 View Post
What would you all recommend for seating since it isn't a huge space?
Also do you think I'm better off to go with a 5.1.4 setup with the way the room is or still try to go 7.1.4?
nwbearcat21 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 09-07-2017, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have that Denon receiver, its pretty good.

I think the Epson is a good choice as well.

What I wouldn't do is the 100 inch screen, too small for me, and the TV's will be distracting to me when they are off for movies. That of course is of course your choice.

You also could have logistic problems for speaker placement etc. as well with the tv's possibly being in the way.

If you want to watch multiple games, get a 120-150 inch screen and NFL redzone.

Last edited by HTMatrix; 09-07-2017 at 04:12 PM.
HTMatrix is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 09-08-2017, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nwbearcat21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the feedback.
nwbearcat21 is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 09-13-2017, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nwbearcat21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok so met with the install guy today and have everything decided except where to put the rear surround speakers in the basement. It is either going to be a 7.1.4 or 5.1.4 atmos setup, probably a 7.1.4. I am including a picture of what our basement room will look like as well as with possible speaker locations. The yellow line boxing in the stairs in the back is because our room won't be open like that. It will have just a wall there closing off the staircase. So option 1 is the purple color with one speaker sitting on that ledge and another on a shelf, not sure I like this one because they are pretty low to the ground. Option 2 is the red color which is in wall speakers facing forward, the speaker to the far right would be fine but not sure about the other because it can't be spaced out properly, this is the cleanest look though and the one the wife will like the most. Option 3 is the Green color, so on the same walls as option 1 but up higher for better sound. As you can see on the speaker on the left I am dealing with light switches and such. What do you all think would be the best option? I have to think appearance in here as well. For other reference the yellow circles and squares are my rear atmos speakers and side surrounds. Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basement_LI.jpg (1.19 MB, 60 views)
nwbearcat21 is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 09-21-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbearcat21 View Post
Ok so met with the install guy today and have everything decided except where to put the rear surround speakers in the basement. It is either going to be a 7.1.4 or 5.1.4 atmos setup, probably a 7.1.4. I am including a picture of what our basement room will look like as well as with possible speaker locations. The yellow line boxing in the stairs in the back is because our room won't be open like that. It will have just a wall there closing off the staircase. So option 1 is the purple color with one speaker sitting on that ledge and another on a shelf, not sure I like this one because they are pretty low to the ground. Option 2 is the red color which is in wall speakers facing forward, the speaker to the far right would be fine but not sure about the other because it can't be spaced out properly, this is the cleanest look though and the one the wife will like the most. Option 3 is the Green color, so on the same walls as option 1 but up higher for better sound. As you can see on the speaker on the left I am dealing with light switches and such. What do you all think would be the best option? I have to think appearance in here as well. For other reference the yellow circles and squares are my rear atmos speakers and side surrounds. Thanks again!

I like the location of the green speakers especially if you are walling in the space. Where do the double does go to?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is online now  
post #12 of 18 Old 09-28-2017, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nwbearcat21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I went with the in wall option for the back speakers, wife liked it much better! They are wiring it all up today. I got full 7.1.4 atmos, hdmi to the projector and two side tv's, ethernet to those as well, tubing ran for future changes, ethernet going from the modem location in the office to the basement theater and to the upstairs living room, 2 outdoor speakers, and 2 in ceiling speakers in the bathroom. All wiring and labor done for $1,180. I feel like it's a pretty good deal. Now just can't wait for the house to be done and get everything hooked up!!
nwbearcat21 is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 09-28-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbearcat21 View Post
I went with the in wall option for the back speakers, wife liked it much better! They are wiring it all up today. I got full 7.1.4 atmos, hdmi to the projector and two side tv's, ethernet to those as well, tubing ran for future changes, ethernet going from the modem location in the office to the basement theater and to the upstairs living room, 2 outdoor speakers, and 2 in ceiling speakers in the bathroom. All wiring and labor done for $1,180. I feel like it's a pretty good deal. Now just can't wait for the house to be done and get everything hooked up!!
Sounds good. We all would like to pictures when it is done.


I think I asked in another thread, but thought I would again. I take from your screen name you went to Northwest Missouri State?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is online now  
post #14 of 18 Old 09-28-2017, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nwbearcat21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'll get some pics up for sure! And yes I did.
nwbearcat21 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 09-30-2017, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nwbearcat21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here are some pictures of his work. He ran tubing to all tv locations and the projector so that I can add cables in the future if needed. Have a 35 ft hdmi gong to the projector as well as ethernet. Both side tv's have hdmi and ethernet as well. Happy with how it turned out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2474.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	2290720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2478.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	2290722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2483 (1).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	2290724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2479 (1).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	2290726  
nwbearcat21 is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 09-30-2017, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nwbearcat21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just noticed the pictures are all upside down in the post for some reason? No clue why as they weren't when I uploaded them.
nwbearcat21 is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 10-02-2017, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbearcat21 View Post
Just noticed the pictures are all upside down in the post for some reason? No clue why as they weren't when I uploaded them.
If you double click on them when they are selected they are right side up. Not sure why they uploaded the way they did.

Are you in the KC Area? If you are there is a group thread you can become part of in the area. This last February was a big theater crawl where you could visit other peoples theater in the area in one day. They also try to do movie nights at someones' theater once a month if peoples schedules work out. Check these two threads out.

Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is online now  
post #18 of 18 Old 10-02-2017, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nwbearcat21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Awesome I will, thanks!
nwbearcat21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off