Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-18-2017, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Wiring for new construction

I purchased a new condo which is under construction- it's a med sized apt about 740sq ft. I'm meeting with the architect on Mon to try and narrow down what additions I'd like to make.

I was thinking about adding cat6/7(a) by the cable TV jacks in the bedroom and living room. Also, thinking about adding speaker cabling in the walls. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-18-2017, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If you don't add the Cat, you'll be pissed at yourself later. My house is only 5 years old but the builder didn't run network to the bedrooms so I have to use powerline adapters for devices. Not the end of the world but it would certainly be easier to have a jack in the wall.

For the speakers, what would your intention be? Surround sound for the TV? I'd definitely run wires then. Streaming music form your phone? Might just opt for a decent 2 channel system in which case I'd skip in-wall wires.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-21-2017, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

I could use a lot more help on this. I went and saw the apartment today- it's just a wood frame now. The architect asked me where/what I wanted and I'm at a loss.

I said I wanted Cat6 for network, but I'm not sure how to set up the speaker jacks, and how many I should have? Any advice? I was thinking 5 (2 front/2 back, sub) but then with 7.1, atmos, etc, I'm thinking 5 isn't enough.

This is going to be in my living room so I'm not sure how to set it up.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-21-2017, 03:42 PM

Do you have a floor plan or at least a rough sketch (windows, doors, etc) with appropriate dimensions?
post #5 of 10 Old 08-21-2017, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hope that's helpful. I can mount the TV on either side, but the higher jack is in the living room side with the sink.

The cable box is going in the small closet next to the bathroom. Not sure where I want to put the access point, in fact I forgot to mention it today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg apartment pic.jpg (56.2 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by DaveFi; 08-21-2017 at 06:02 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-21-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
Hope that's helpful.
It very much is. See the attached image. If I were you'd I think I'd limit things to 5.1 instead of trying to fit 7.1 in there. If you're going to wire for Atmos, I'd throw 2 ceiling speakers in for that, not 4.

Behind the TV I'd have them install a 2 gang speaker wall plate capable of connecting all 8 speakers (5 surrounds, 2 Atmos and sub) and a single gang, single speaker cover by each speaker location with 14 gauge speaker wire to each. If you'fe going to have an entertainment center for the gear, you could skip the plate for the center speaker and just wire it straight to the receiver. And don't forget power for the subwoofer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
Not sure where I want to put the access point, in fact I forgot to mention it today.
I'd put it in the same closet as the cable gear. It's nice and centrally located so coverage won't be an issue anywhere.

And absolutely Cat6 to the TV and the bedroom. You've go the opportunity to hardwire as much as you can. Take it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (32.3 KB, 25 views)
post #7 of 10 Old 08-22-2017, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Wood pretty much nailed it.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-22-2017, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks wood. That was very helpful. When I looked at the wood frame of the apartment yesterday I was quite overwhelmed as to what exactly I wanted/how to set it up. I sent your post to the team mgr and hopefully he'll be able to tell me just what is doable and the approx costs.

I'd love to have ceiling mounted Atmos speakers, but I don't think that's realistic, especially considering I have upstairs neighbors and the ceiling is 12+ ft high. It's a 100yr old converted school, so it's in a brick building, which will hopefully lend to better soundproofing.

Also, you can't see it on the floor plan, but on the kitchen side there is a horizontal wall that comes down for the heating/ac. I could easily mount side speakers there, but probably not going to bother.

If my neighbors start bitching about the sound, I'll probably end up going back to headphones again. That's why I don't want to spend any more than I have to. I still need to buy a new TV as well.

I'll definitely have more questions as I go along. Right now I have a Pioneer VSX-90 receiver, and would like to get smaller speakers, the best way to mount them, etc.

Oh, btw: The cable box is going in the small closet on the far wall with the front door with the support post, not the one next to the W/D.

I still have decided where to put my PC yet.

Last edited by DaveFi; 08-22-2017 at 09:50 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-17-2017, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

OK, so to update everyone- this is what the architect came back with. I'm not sure where I want to put my computer- I have a pretty beefy tower/gaming setup, so I'd like it to be somewhere in the living room. It takes up a fair amount of space.

The architect admitted he doesn't know much about wiring- so I'll take any suggestions. Cat 6a instead of Cat 6? More/differently placed outlets?

Would it pay for me to have some local home theater installation place take a look at the plans? The wiring needs to be in before the walls go up- and things are moving along quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170911_Unit 331.jpg (99.1 KB, 26 views)

post #10 of 10 Old 09-24-2017, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

I could use a little more help here:

Before I start a new topic, could someone please refer me to a home theater store in my area that might help me design a good layout for my new apt (before the walls go up).

I live in the Natick/Framingham MA area. I was thinking of dropping into Natural Sound Inc in Framingham and asking for some advice. I'm not going for super-high end- just want a decent wiring/design.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page