Blank Slate for someone new to HT - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By usc1995

post #1 of 14 Old 08-23-2017, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Blank Slate for someone new to HT

So our house is being built just outside Franklin, TN. I have never had a dedicated theater/media room. So not really sure where to start. Attached is the room layout. The ceilings will be 9'.

Pretty sure I am going with a TV not a projector.

My question is can I tackle setting stuff up or should I wait until I can afford to have someone do it. As Spicoli said in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, I have an "ultimate set of tools" so I feel I tackle pretty much anything. Its just a bit overwhelming stepping into this world.

So some help would be greatly appreciated

Size of TV

7.1 receiver? what things should it include (atmos ect.)

In wall/in ceiling speakers or floor standing

Do I need an new blue ray player (mine is a Samsung about 5 years old)

If I run my own speaker wire what size should I be looking at (14 AWG ?)

Since the wife wants one is a sectional ok instead of dedicated theater seating

Sorry for being so generic with the questions but I have looked at Best Buy and Crutchfield and like I said before its a bit overwhelming. Up to this point I have had a 55" TV in a family room with no extra speakers.

The budget I am hoping to stay within is 6k for everything but the couch/seating that will be extra.

Thanks for the help

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (50.9 KB, 49 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-23-2017, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Schramm View Post
So our house is being built just outside Franklin, TN. I have never had a dedicated theater/media room. So not really sure where to start. Attached is the room layout. The ceilings will be 9'.

Why do you want a TV instead of a projector? If this is a dedicated theater room where you can have light control, and darken the wall/ceiling color near the screen, I would 100% choose a projector over a TV. You won't have the style limitations that come with a living room. Even if you can't control the wall/ceiling color, projector is still definitely the right choice. Your room is large, and you can only get a similarly large image (for reasonable cost) by going with a projector setup. You will love the immersion the larger size gives you. This is a no-brainer in my opinion.

What will be the viewing distance?
post #3 of 14 Old 08-23-2017, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

My question is can I tackle setting stuff up or should I wait until I can afford to have someone do it. As Spicoli said in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, I have an "ultimate set of tools" so I feel I tackle pretty much anything. Its just a bit overwhelming stepping into this world.

Size of TV

Sorry for being so generic with the questions but I have looked at Best Buy and Crutchfield and like I said before its a bit overwhelming. Up to this point I have had a 55" TV in a family room with no extra speakers.

The budget I am hoping to stay within is 6k for everything but the couch/seating that will be extra.

Thanks for the help

Rob

What are the other dimensions of the room? As Bochoss said seems like a large room.

Size of TV - 120"+ (Projector) not going to find a TV in this size...

14awg is probably plenty would be my guess.

I did a mix of floor standing and in wall/ceiling. I did floor standing for the fronts and center and in celling for the atmos and rears. I like the look of the floor standing stuff much better than in wall but it all depends on the space you have. I feel like you have more flexibility with floor standing as well.

What kind of viewing will occur in the space? movies? sports? TV?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basement Theater/Rec Build 2.0 - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...ng-advice.html

post #4 of 14 Old 08-23-2017, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

I guess the main reason I was thinking of the TV over projector is I do a fair amount of gaming. I am not sure if a projector is good for that.

The other dimensions are 18' 4" with 9' ceilings

With a room that size do I need to be looking at 2 subs or is 1 "good" sub enough?

Also this room in on the second floor so I don't know if that makes a difference with anything.

I attached the full second floor plan the media room is labeled play room on the plan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schramm005 second floor with markup.pdf (778.0 KB, 18 views)
post #5 of 14 Old 08-23-2017, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Choosing a TV over a projector is your call but if I were you, I'd rough in a ceiling receptacle and a pull string to run an HDMI if you ever decide to go the projector route.

Personally, though, I'd strongly suggest you go straight to a projector.
Quote:
You'll save a ton of money and learn a lot so if you think you're up for it, I'd run with it.
Quote:
Size of TV
It's a theater room. Go big. VERY seldom do you ever think "why did I get such a big TV?"
Quote:
For my room and the layout, I don't think I'll ever benefit from making the switch from 7.1 (actually I'm up to 7.3 but that's beside the point ) to Atmos. With the size of your room and the 9' ceilings, I think yours would be a goo candidate for Atmos. At the very least, speaker wire is cheap. Rough it in where the Atmos speakers would go to make it that much easier if you decide to later.
Quote:
Fronts - floor
Surrounds - on wall
Atmos - in ceiling
Quote:
If it works, absolutely not. I'm using a 7 year old PS3 as my BluRay, PLEX, Netflix and Amazon Prime player.
Quote:
I opted for 12 but as others have said, 14 will work just fine.
Quote:
The only requirement is that it's comfortable!
Quote:
The walls, riser, paint, etc was done in my theater room already but I had to add all the gear and setup myself. I started off reusing old gear and have since switched some things out. All in, I spent about $3,000 on my room and am very happy with it (here's a link, if you're interested) so you can keep costs down if you've 1) got some items that can be reused or 2) find decent deals online or through Craigslist.

Good luck on the build!
post #6 of 14 Old 08-23-2017, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
With a room that size do I need to be looking at 2 subs or is 1 "good" sub enough?
While you obviously can add a second sub to get more volume, you actually add additional subs to remove nulls (dead spots) in the LFE. Think of it like mono versus stereo. Mono sounds fine but stereo, while not necessarily louder, still sounds better. Fuller. When I first hooked up my second sub, it was amazing the difference it made.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-23-2017, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
What preamp and amp are you looking for ? High end used or new mid range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 14 Old 08-24-2017, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
I guess the main reason I was thinking of the TV over projector is I do a fair amount of gaming. I am not sure if a projector is good for that.
Are you worried about input lag or something else? I use the BenQ HT2050, and it's spectacular for gaming. It's very sharp, handles motion well, and has 33ms input lag time, which is right in line with how many TVs measure. Gaming on a giant projector screen is AMAZING.

Edit: From my understanding, the BenQ HT2050 is one of the best projectors for gaming, as long as you aren't sensitive to the DLP rainbows. (I found them kind of annoying at first, but now notice them less and don't really care.) It's also very affordable. If you are sensitive to the rainbows, stepping up to the Sony projectors (more $) will not have that issue, and will still have short enough input lag time.

Last edited by bochoss; 08-24-2017 at 09:52 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-25-2017, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input so far, I guess I have never seen anyone gaming with a projector but certainly sounds like it works well. Maybe I will start poking around at projectors.

What are you guys using as room darkening shades for windows. I will have 3 double hung windows to deal with. I know from the house I have now that shutters dont work worth a crap.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-25-2017, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Size of TV

Thanks for the help

Rob
I'm gonna go against the crowd here and recommend a TV. I don't see any mention of 4K/HDR from any of the recommendations and IMO it doesn't make sense to build a Home Theater from scratch in 2017 that doesn't support 4K/HDR. I don't think your budget will handle a 4K projector and leave room for other HT items.

With your total budget and room size, I think you'll want to get the max value large screen size possible. Consider the Vizio M70 or M75 or E80, which will still leave you lots of $ for the rest of the system. I would try to get a 9.2 capable AVR to give you flexibility up to a 5.2.4 Atmos config. Floor Standing for the front/center, wall/ceiling for the surrounds/height speakers. Add the 3rd and 4th ceiling speakers now if the budget allows, or rough it in now and
add it later. Dual subwoofers are recommended. You could stick with the existing BD player for now, or get the LG/Philips Dolby Vision 4K disc player if you want to jump into 4K discs right away. Or you could get the Xbox One S which will do the 4K discs plus HDR gaming, and which is available via some great deals at the moment before the Xbox One X is released this fall.

LG OLED 65C7P
Pioneer Kuro Plasma PRO-151FD 60"
Yamaha TSR-7810 7.2 AVR
Paradigm fronts, center, surrounds 5.2.2 config
SVS SB-13 Ultra, SVS SB-12NSD subwoofers
Xbox One S, PS 3, Apple TV 4, Nvidia Shield Pro,

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 08-25-2017 at 07:12 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-26-2017, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
A "faux k" projector good for gaming can be had for $2000 (UHD60) or $2800 (Epson 5040). The benefits of 4k and HDR are mitigated the further you sit from the screen and a 65 inch screen just does not compare to 100"+ like what the OP has room for. If the OP's primary use case is TV with all the lights on then a TV would be a better choice but for gaming and watching movies and sports you can't beat the immersion of a good projector set up.
bochoss likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-26-2017, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
A "faux k" projector good for gaming can be had for $2000 (UHD60) or $2800 (Epson 5040). The benefits of 4k and HDR are mitigated the further you sit from the screen and a 65 inch screen just does not compare to 100"+ like what the OP has room for. If the OP's primary use case is TV with all the lights on then a TV would be a better choice but for gaming and watching movies and sports you can't beat the immersion of a good projector set up.

The UHD60 is a DLP projector, which a lot of people can't tolerate. The Epson is not a true 4K projector, and for the same price you can get a 65 inch LG OLED which will blow any projector away in PQ.

I love a large screen size too but it's not the only consideration. The OP could get the best of both worlds by using a 4K TV and then getting the BENQ projector for 1080P viewing, and have it lower in front of the TV

LG OLED 65C7P
Pioneer Kuro Plasma PRO-151FD 60"
Yamaha TSR-7810 7.2 AVR
Paradigm fronts, center, surrounds 5.2.2 config
SVS SB-13 Ultra, SVS SB-12NSD subwoofers
Xbox One S, PS 3, Apple TV 4, Nvidia Shield Pro,
post #13 of 14 Old 08-26-2017, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Do any projectors under 3K offer the ability to connect to Nexflix ect. Without having to buy another apple TV box, I know some of the TV's out there do.

As or what will be watched I would say the following

50% TV (Cable stuff and Netflix, Hulu)
30% Movies
20% XBOX One

On a side note and I am sure there will be the forever debate about this but between the 3 Denon, Onkyo, Sony for receiver. I am thinking in the under 700 range. Is there any one stand out or all about the same at that level.

Thanks
post #14 of 14 Old 08-27-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Quote:
Do any projectors under 3K offer the ability to connect to Nexflix ect. Without having to buy another apple TV box, I know some of the TV's out there do.
No, and you wouldn't want it to, either...

Blu-ray players, FireTV, Roku, lots of ways to get that support cheap so that you can connect the "source" to your AVR easily.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: I am fixing photo links in my theater thread - if you find dead photo links elsewhere, please PM me and I will fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page