Suggestions (TV/Receiver/Speakers) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-06-2017, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Suggestions (TV/Receiver/Speakers)

I am building a home theater in my new home. The home will be completed in February or March of 2018. I am not going to be ripping walls down or anything like that, but I will be setting up a home theater-like setup. I have some questions that I would like to get advice on... I will first explain the goal of the theater configuration. I plan to purchase 2 theater style loveseats, placing them behind each other, similar to a theater style seating (one raised). I included a diagram of the room floor plan. The storage room on the left side will house a server rack, with a custom built NAS (running Plex Media Server) and a pair of PS4s and my receiver (and additional components). The wall on the right side of the diagram will be the main TV wall. The one caveat is that I would like to put 2 TVs on that wall. The main TV or display will be the primary home theater set up. This will be used by the media server to watch movies and also play PS4 games. The second TV will be at the top of that wall and will be used by my wife, when we are playing coop games. We play a lot together, so having a nice TV for her to play with would be ideal. My intent is to have a curtain that I can pull back (preferably electronically) that covers the entire right wall, split in the middle. This would give the impression of the theater setting, cover the window on that wall and cover up that 2nd TV when it is not in use. When she wants to play with me, I would pull that one back and we could play together. Let me get to my primary questions now:
  • For the primary TV and Receiver and Speakers. What would be recommended? Most of my media will be 1080p, 1:1 rips of Blu rays. But I would like the option of also using the home theater for intense viewing, HDR, 4K, Dolby Atmos, etc. With that in mind, should I go with a projector or a TV? Should I be purchasing them now or wait a few months to get better prices or for new models to come out? I want the screen to be large, like 80-120", so I am not sure what is practical in that sense. I also am not sure if I should use a home theater company that is local to do installation for me. If so, should I use them for their speakers or get my own receiver/speaker combo?
  • For the secondary TV, what would be a recommended model for that TV? We have a 65" Vizio M Series that is really nice that we could use. If we used that, how would we hide it? What do I even look for to find electronic curtains that could cover up the TV and be pulled back? Is that a good solution for my goals or is there a better idea out there?
  • I also want to purchase shades that can COMPLETELY black out the windows in that room. I want them to be electronic so I can sync them to a universal remote of some sorts and put them up or down in tandem. Is this possible? If so, where would I look for something like that?
  • My last question is what would be recommended as a universal remote solution? I have never used a custom setup...only the Logitech ones, but they are always finicky with big configurations like this. I want something that is reliable and customization, where I can access the components in the storage room directly and control every aspect of the room (curtains, lighting, TV, Receiver, PS4's, etc.) Is this even possible and if so, where do I look for something like this?

I know there are a TON of questions here, but these are just my starting points for researching further. Just looking for input on any or all of these topics, so I can keep researching and then tuning my questions to be more specific as I progress through the project. Thank you in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SantaRosa_Opt.-BonusRoom_BathBath_Storage.jpg (21.0 KB, 30 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Im going to take a stab at addressing as much as I can.

It sounds like you want to put a TV over another TV (i may have read that wrong). I personally have never preferred that type of setup. I'd much rather be set up side by side.

Most here will die by the projector (me included). I would def wait until you're ready to install to actually buy. That shouldn't stop you from researching which models will fit your throw distance and lighting conditions and know if a new model from the manufacturer is coming soon. That's what I did for my Epson 5040.

I can't say much for TV recommendation. I usually buy the cheapest "4k" tv. I cant personally tell the difference, but I know many here can.

I'll be following your thread to see what you found for blinds. My brother cooked up a combination of insteon, joanne fabric, motorized rollers and channels around the blinds to achieve his black out. It looks great, but he went on a wild goose chase to source it all.

For remotes, look in to iRule if you're a handy techie type and open to buying a bit of extra hardware.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-13-2017, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberk View Post
Im going to take a stab at addressing as much as I can.

It sounds like you want to put a TV over another TV (i may have read that wrong). I personally have never preferred that type of setup. I'd much rather be set up side by side.
No, I probably worded it incorrectly. The goal is to have the TVs side by side, but be able to hide the secondary TV when we are watching movies. If we are watching a movie, I wanted a singular theater experience. But if we are playing coop video games on our PS4s, it would be nice to be able to see the primary and secondary TV side by side so we can play together in the same room.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-13-2017, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea85 View Post
No, I probably worded it incorrectly. The goal is to have the TVs side by side, but be able to hide the secondary TV when we are watching movies. If we are watching a movie, I wanted a singular theater experience. But if we are playing coop video games on our PS4s, it would be nice to be able to see the primary and secondary TV side by side so we can play together in the same room.
I will throw my 2 cents in. So if your going to do side by side tv's how about this, if you do 2 tvs like that one will always be off center for either watching movies or playing games. So how about you pair 2 cheaper large 4k tv's side by side and then pair that with a large drop down screen and projector? I wouldn't recommend a pull down style screen as they tend to get waves from rolling up and down, but something like a large screen frame on an almost garage door style drop down, if you use AT screen fabric you wouldn't have to worry about the speakers being behind it and it gives you the best of both worlds, 2 tvs for gaming and a large screen for movies. Granted that does add additional cost.

As far as speakers go a overall budget is needed people here can recommend speakers from $100 each to $700 each or more lol. Also is something like DIY an option as far as speakers go. you can get tremendous bang for your buck building your own that will walk all over speakers in the same price range, and many DIY speaker have the added benefit of being able to hit "reference level" which is generally louder than you would probably listen on just a decent AVR without the need of additional amps. Especially on the subwoofer front, you can build a $700 sub that will blow away $2000 subs all day long.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-19-2017, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
I will throw my 2 cents in. So if your going to do side by side tv's how about this, if you do 2 tvs like that one will always be off center for either watching movies or playing games. So how about you pair 2 cheaper large 4k tv's side by side and then pair that with a large drop down screen and projector? I wouldn't recommend a pull down style screen as they tend to get waves from rolling up and down, but something like a large screen frame on an almost garage door style drop down, if you use AT screen fabric you wouldn't have to worry about the speakers being behind it and it gives you the best of both worlds, 2 tvs for gaming and a large screen for movies. Granted that does add additional cost.

As far as speakers go a overall budget is needed people here can recommend speakers from $100 each to $700 each or more lol. Also is something like DIY an option as far as speakers go. you can get tremendous bang for your buck building your own that will walk all over speakers in the same price range, and many DIY speaker have the added benefit of being able to hit "reference level" which is generally louder than you would probably listen on just a decent AVR without the need of additional amps. Especially on the subwoofer front, you can build a $700 sub that will blow away $2000 subs all day long.
Thanks so much for the input. As far as speakers and hardware go, I won't know the budget until the house appraises (that will tell me what I need to bring to closing...so I won't know what is left over). Once I get closer to closing, I will know more.

As far as the drop down screen and 2 TVs behind the screen idea. I actually didn't like it at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized how perfect it was. I could have 2 matching TVs completely side by side and then a screen that comes down in front of them. Where would I look at something like a garage door style screen mechanism? I have never seen anything like that so I would like to start researching options for that. Would the screen be a single piece and just come down on a track? Where would I place my front speakers? Ceiling? Above the gaming TVs and the center channel below them? I love the idea, so I am wanting to understand it more and possibly see some examples or vendors that dabble in something like this.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for the input. As far as speakers and hardware go, I won't know the budget until the house appraises (that will tell me what I need to bring to closing...so I won't know what is left over). Once I get closer to closing, I will know more.

As far as the drop down screen and 2 TVs behind the screen idea. I actually didn't like it at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized how perfect it was. I could have 2 matching TVs completely side by side and then a screen that comes down in front of them. Where would I look at something like a garage door style screen mechanism? I have never seen anything like that so I would like to start researching options for that. Would the screen be a single piece and just come down on a track? Where would I place my front speakers? Ceiling? Above the gaming TVs and the center channel below them? I love the idea, so I am wanting to understand it more and possibly see some examples or vendors that dabble in something like this.
Well there is a youtube speaker reviewer that has a drop down screen like I mentioned. It is where the idea came from actually. I think his channel is Z reviews. You could honestly probably rig up 2 electrical actuators one on each end to move the screen up and down. Or something like a torsion spring, like what you would find above a garage door to help with the lifting and dropping of the screen. I was just doing a google search for any ready made style products but I couldn't locate anything. I would contact that youtube guy and see how his is set up. Doing it manually would be fairly simple automating it would add some additional complications. Or you could go the opposite route and have the tvs flip down from the ceiling, there ARE ready made mounts for that, although on a second thought, being that a projection screen would probably weigh less than a flat screen tv maybe there would be a way to retrofit the projection screen to a flip down tv mount, 2 birds one stone. As far as speakers as long as you use a AT, acoustically transparent, screen, you would just have the projector screen some down in front of the speakers, blocking them from view and they would play through the screen itself. You might post a thread in the projectors/screen forums about a from the ceiling flip down projection screen and they might have some solutions.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-19-2017, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

oh I would like to add though at least when it comes to screens, pull downs in particular, I really don't have any experience with them but from reading around on threads here some people mention that over time they can get a bit of a ripple. I don't know that as fact, and it may be a minor issue really.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-20-2017, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
oh I would like to add though at least when it comes to screens, pull downs in particular, I really don't have any experience with them but from reading around on threads here some people mention that over time they can get a bit of a ripple. I don't know that as fact, and it may be a minor issue really.
I started asking on the projector screen forum as well. Someone has said that newer retractable screens that are motorized come with tension strips to handle the rippling effect. Not sure how accurate that is, but there is hope. The other issue I am having now is the size. Two 65" TVs would have a total width of 115-120 inches, which means I need a screen with that width. That might be problematic. We will see. I still love the idea, I just hope it isn't too crazy to implement (or expensive). I still have all the hardware (projector, TVs, speakers, receiver, seating) to purchase.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-20-2017, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Now that I understand a bit more...

When I was in my planning stages, I was going to have a ~70" flanked by 2 50"s or something to that effect (mostly for watching sports) with a drop down screen. I realized that MOST of my viewing would be on the projector, so why not just project multiple inputs on to one screen. I was going to get a pretty high tech solution, but realized I don't watch enough games at once to make the investment. Why not get something that will allow you to project both gaming consoles on to the projector screen at once? Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K2VRK1S..._t5_B01GPVDDT2 You could look a bit harder and possibly find a 4k one too.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-20-2017, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberk View Post
Now that I understand a bit more...

When I was in my planning stages, I was going to have a ~70" flanked by 2 50"s or something to that effect (mostly for watching sports) with a drop down screen. I realized that MOST of my viewing would be on the projector, so why not just project multiple inputs on to one screen. I was going to get a pretty high tech solution, but realized I don't watch enough games at once to make the investment. Why not get something that will allow you to project both gaming consoles on to the projector screen at once? Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K2VRK1S..._t5_B01GPVDDT2 You could look a bit harder and possibly find a 4k one too.
I agree that would be a viable solution. Unfortunately, with the "2 TV" setup, we are going to be using those for gaming, which means we need good response time etc. I liked the 2 TVs + a projector in front of them solution better because the TVs are more ideal for gaming than a projector would be and the projector setup would be only for movies anyways, which is ideal for that scenario with a really large screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page