New custom cabinet - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-16-2017, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New custom cabinet

So I am having a custom cabinet built and before the plans are finalized I would like some input.

My one concern is the opening for the subs in the picture below. Do they need to sit all the way down on the floor or will they be OK sitting inside the cabinet space or should they sit directly on the floor? I am not sure how the base will affect the objects differently on the shelves above if it was in the cabinet or isolated from the cabinet. Either way will not make much difference in the build but needs to be accounted for. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cabinet.jpg (91.6 KB, 81 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-25-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nice design - similar to what I'm doing for my basement build. After talking to Ed Mullin at SVS, I decided to place my subs directly on the concrete. I'm covering the opening in the cabinet with acoustic fabric. The sub I'm going with is the SVS SB13 Ultra, which weighs a cool 92 pounds. The cabinet will have a toe kick, but I'm thinking we'll install it after putting the subs in place. He also recommended making sure that the cabinet has enough space on either side of the sub to slide it into place. His final recommendation was to look for a sub from the outlet store - blemishes on the cabinet won't matter once it's concealed in the cabinet. Where are you in the process?
post #3 of 3 Old 09-29-2017, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cabinet guy will be here in a few minutes to look at the project...major changes to the design have happened after it was quoted by one cabinet builder...had to scale way back due to cost...will let you know later after we get this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page