1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bmac55

post #1 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
New basement space

So, we have a contract on a new (to us) home that we are scheduled to move into next month. The home has a nice sized finish space in the basement that I will have available to use as a media room (the good news). However, as you can see in the attached photos, the space has lots of ambient light and very light wood walls. I have to accept the space "as is" because there is no room in the budget for a remodel.

The room is approximately 24' x 24' but there is a boxed in HVAC running through the center of the ceiling. The stairwell, doors to adjacent rooms, a wet bar and the duct work limits the available media space to a 12' x 24' area the you see in the photos. On a positive note, there is an outlet on the ceiling for projector power probably 14'-16' screen location. Ceiling height is at least 8' and I can remove the ceiling fan and light fixture you see in the photos.

I'm going to try to use the gear that I have initially (110" retractable screen and Definitive Technology ProCinema 5.1 home theater speakers), but at the very least l will need a projector and receiver.

The room layout and ambient light issues are a concern to me. With the wood walls and finished drywall ceiling, I'm thinking maybe a wireless projector might be a good idea so I don't have to run an HDMI cable to the projector. From what I've read on this forum, I'm thinking the Epson 5040UBe might be a good choice, but I have no 1st hand knowledge. Of course, if anyone can recommend another solution at a better price point, I would appreciate the suggestion.

My goals are modest- I want a space where I can watch movies and sports on large screen, but I don't expect a theater quality experience. Feel free to comment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0237.JPG (369.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0235.JPG (384.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0229.JPG (869.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0230.JPG (2.17 MB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0231.JPG (908.0 KB, 61 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I would lose the 110" screen and go with a larger screen for that size room.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 13/14 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmac55 View Post
So, we have a contract on a new (to us) home that we are scheduled to move into next month. The home has a nice sized finish space in the basement that I will have available to use as a media room (the good news). However, as you can see in the attached photos, the space has lots of ambient light and very light wood walls. I have to accept the space "as is" because there is no room in the budget for a remodel.

The room is approximately 24' x 24' but there is a boxed in HVAC running through the center of the ceiling. The stairwell, doors to adjacent rooms, a wet bar and the duct work limits the available media space to a 12' x 24' area the you see in the photos. On a positive note, there is an outlet on the ceiling for projector power probably 14'-16' screen location. Ceiling height is at least 8' and I can remove the ceiling fan and light fixture you see in the photos.

I'm going to try to use the gear that I have initially (110" retractable screen and Definitive Technology ProCinema 5.1 home theater speakers), but at the very least l will need a projector and receiver.

The room layout and ambient light issues are a concern to me. With the wood walls and finished drywall ceiling, I'm thinking maybe a wireless projector might be a good idea so I don't have to run an HDMI cable to the projector. From what I've read on this forum, I'm thinking the Epson 5040UBe might be a good choice, but I have no 1st hand knowledge. Of course, if anyone can recommend another solution at a better price point, I would appreciate the suggestion.

My goals are modest- I want a space where I can watch movies and sports on large screen, but I don't expect a theater quality experience. Feel free to comment.

Looks like a descent space except the paneling. Looks like stepping back into the 70's or late 80's. If you want get started with what you have it should work. I take it you have towers and a center channel up front with bookshelf speakers for the surrounds? If they could go on stands to get them where you need them, the only problem is hiding the wires. If you went with a 2.35:1 screen you could wider say a 140" that your old 110 would fit inside of. It would give you room to mount the screen high enough to get your center channel up off of the floor. I have seen the Epson 5040 and 6040 and they are very bright and should work in the room with some window treatments. I have had no experience with the wireless version, but I believe it should work fine for what your wanting to do. Looks like you may be able to get it a little cheaper the the regular 5040 right no online. As for receiver, are you wanting to do Dolby Atmos? If you have a 5.1 system, what are you using now. Would need a little more information as to what you want to do with the receiver. There are a lot of good 5.x or 7.x receivers out there can range from $200 and up depending on what you want out of it. Denon, Marantz and Yamaha are all popular right now and will do a lot. If you want Dolby Atmos you will have go 7.x to get it.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html

post #4 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
I would lose the 110" screen and go with a larger screen for that size room.
I would like to go larger, but with all of the other expenses associated with moving, I will likely have to use this screen initially. I appreciate the advice, though.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-22-2017, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Looks like a descent space except the paneling. Looks like stepping back into the 70's or late 80's.
I have to agree with you, Ladeback. I will say that it looks somewhat better in person than in pictures, but certainly would not have been my choice. It's actually tongue-and-groove boards, not paneling. And they finished the whole basement that way - bedroom, bathroom, closet. I guess they were going for a cabin look.

Quote:
I take it you have towers and a center channel up front with bookshelf speakers for the surrounds? If they could go on stands to get them where you need them, the only problem is hiding the wires.
The Def Tech ProCinema speakers are tiny. Almost comically so. But they produce adequate sound for my needs for the time being. They can be wall mounted with brackets, but hiding the wires is going to be a problem.

Quote:
As for receiver, are you wanting to do Dolby Atmos? If you have a 5.1 system, what are you using now. Would need a little more information as to what you want to do with the receiver. There are a lot of good 5.x or 7.x receivers out there can range from $200 and up depending on what you want out of it. Denon, Marantz and Yamaha are all popular right now and will do a lot. If you want Dolby Atmos you will have go 7.x to get it.
My Yamaha 5.1 receiver was fried by a power surge (caused by ants in the transformer, strangely). It was a BestBuy purchase a number of years ago. Not audiophile quality, but certainly adequate. I will replace it with something similar after the move. No plans for Atmos.

Thank you for your comments, Ladeback.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-23-2017, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
I have to agree with you, Ladeback. I will say that it looks somewhat better in person than in pictures, but certainly would not have been my choice. It's actually tongue-and-groove boards, not paneling. And they finished the whole basement that way - bedroom, bathroom, closet. I guess they were going for a cabin look.

Thank you for your comments, Ladeback.
I like the modern look, but honestly, I think you can make that space look awesome without changing the walls. We went really modern on our house, but if I could have gotten wife to go rustic at all, I could have easily worked with a space like that. Add some modern light fixtures, get some cool furniture, and possibly change the flooring in part of it and I would be set.

Also, Epson 5040 is an excellent choice, everyone I know that has it loves it. I would have gotten that had I not gone for a JVC which is substantially more.

Last edited by HTMatrix; 09-23-2017 at 06:31 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-23-2017, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If it is tonge and Grove that wasn't cheap and a lot of work. You could make it work, but is there a clear coat on the boards? You may get some glare from the screen. I wouldn't want to paint it, but maybe some treatments could help and different furniture would help a lot was well.

Big room though. If you want to stay with retactable I would at least go 120". Why retactable?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-24-2017, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If it is tonge and Grove that wasn't cheap and a lot of work. You could make it work, but is there a clear coat on the boards? You may get some glare from the screen. I wouldn't want to paint it, but maybe some treatments could help and different furniture would help a lot was well.

Big room though. If you want to stay with retactable I would at least go 120". Why retactable?
I share your concerns about the possibility of glare from the wood surfaces.

My plan is to place our 65" tv approximately where their television is and place the screen slightly in front of it, dropping the screen for movies and sporting events. Of course, I am open to suggestions if there is a better way to use this space.
Ladeback likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-25-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I share your concerns about the possibility of glare from the wood surfaces.

My plan is to place our 65" tv approximately where their television is and place the screen slightly in front of it, dropping the screen for movies and sporting events. Of course, I am open to suggestions if there is a better way to use this space.
That's what I thought you might be doing and sounds like a plan. You could get a retractable screen that is acoustically transparent so you speakers could go behind the screen. Amazon has a Elite Screens Spectrum, 125-inch Diag 16:9, Electric Motorized Sound Transparent 4K Ready Drop Down Projector Screen, ELECTRIC125H-AUHD that is a good price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page