Help Building new Theater Room 12x18x9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-24-2017, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help Building new Theater Room 12x18x9

Hi guys,

Attaching the Rooms Diagram - I am considering going long instead of wide since I will have lot of friends and family coming over I need the extra space. Also there will no windows in the room so pitch dark.

Ive been reading on this forum for quite a while regarding the best projector, screen and speakers I can have for my new Media room. But it seems like the more I read the more confused I get. Also been to my local best buy and frys to demo out some of the products but that doesnt get me anywhere either.
So just a quick background on my requirements. On equipment I initially wanted a 7.1 sound system and spend $2000 on the whole system since I saw some cheap Benq HT2050 and Epson 2040 but upon further reading researching came to the conclusion that the Sony VPL-HW45ES might be the ultimate choice. So now my budget is upto $3000 pushing to $3500
As far speakers honestly I have no idea. I would consider my self a what would you call a mid level audiophile but only to the extent of noticing sound but I have no idea about the million products that are out there. Bookshelves, towers, monitors I cant tell the difference. I would tell you though I did demo the PB1000 subwoofer at local Frys and I liked it. Some people have also recommended the HSU subwoofer to be better than the SVS one. I might consider it if whichever one is cheaper.
Lastly the reciever again. There are a million kind out there. So cant tell what from what.

So here is my list for what I considering maybe you guys can help me out
Sony VPL-45ES $1800 (Looking forward to Black Friday Sale) any of you think HT2050 or Epson 2040 is better bang for the buck please feel free to change my mind
Sliver Ticket Screen $249-$349 (120-135 inch) Not sure what size yet once I get the projector
Speakers 7.1 NO IDEA
Receiver NO IDEA

I will be looking forward to your suggestions

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-09-25-01-40-34.jpg (211.0 KB, 63 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-25-2017, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think your projector choice is right on, though you could save money and get reduced contrast with the Benq HT2050. But, since you said you have no windows, a higher contrast projector like the 45es (when compared to a HT2050) might be a better choice because you won't have any light leakage that would otherwise destroy the contrast ratio advantage the Sony has.

I've had a silver ticket in the past (great) and will be using an AT screen in my new build, I vote for them.

As for receiver, check out a Denon X1300W. Great feature set for price.

Speakers, I'm not studied enough to offer a good recommendation now. I have Polk stuff from years back that works good for me now.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-26-2017, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for the info Mistere

I was of the opinion that if its a batcave that it wouldnt matter if its the Sony or BenQ. I found a Sony 45es for 1399 with warranty on eBay but since my house wont be ready till feb i might have to hold the temptation for buying it too early.
As far as the screen goes. For a batcave and particularly Sony 45es which color screen you recommend. Regular white or cine grey. Also i am really intrigued by the edgless screens also like the Elite Aeon

Speakers I have narrowed down to the Wharfedales which are in my budget but not sure which ones are the best 10.1 10.2 220 330 they are so many all have great reviews. There are also the Ascends which have high praises but they also have so many variations that I cant tell what from what. Another set is the HD Level 3. So looking into those as well.
Lastly there is this guy selling these in my local craigslist can anyone give me an input on these compare to the ones I am looking.

Martin Logan Motion 15 Speakers (Pair) Cherrywood New! Never Used! - $550

post #4 of 4 Old 09-30-2017, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3559 Post(s)
Liked: 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycricket View Post
Hi guys,

Attaching the Rooms Diagram - I am considering going long instead of wide since I will have lot of friends and family coming over I need the extra space. Also there will no windows in the room so pitch dark.

Ive been reading on this forum for quite a while regarding the best projector, screen and speakers I can have for my new Media room. But it seems like the more I read the more confused I get. Also been to my local best buy and frys to demo out some of the products but that doesnt get me anywhere either.
So just a quick background on my requirements. On equipment I initially wanted a 7.1 sound system and spend $2000 on the whole system since I saw some cheap Benq HT2050 and Epson 2040 but upon further reading researching came to the conclusion that the Sony VPL-HW45ES might be the ultimate choice. So now my budget is upto $3000 pushing to $3500
As far speakers honestly I have no idea. I would consider my self a what would you call a mid level audiophile but only to the extent of noticing sound but I have no idea about the million products that are out there. Bookshelves, towers, monitors I cant tell the difference. I would tell you though I did demo the PB1000 subwoofer at local Frys and I liked it. Some people have also recommended the HSU subwoofer to be better than the SVS one. I might consider it if whichever one is cheaper.
Lastly the reciever again. There are a million kind out there. So cant tell what from what.

So here is my list for what I considering maybe you guys can help me out
Sony VPL-45ES $1800 (Looking forward to Black Friday Sale) any of you think HT2050 or Epson 2040 is better bang for the buck please feel free to change my mind
Sliver Ticket Screen $249-$349 (120-135 inch) Not sure what size yet once I get the projector
Speakers 7.1 NO IDEA
Receiver NO IDEA

I will be looking forward to your suggestions

Thank you
You may want to consider the upcoming Vivitek 2299 DLP projector as a good starter 4k unit with HDR10 capabilities. MSRP is $2,500 and it looks promising as far as budget 2160p projectors go (I'm sure it will lower in price soon). Reportedly, more detailed than the Epson 5040 due to the way the micro-mirror e-shifting works on the Texas Instruments chip. If you are considering the Sony, why not go for 4k?

Main Speakers:

Emotiva B1 (front left and right) - $299/pair
Emotiva C2 (center - bigger is better since it must reproduce the majority of the soundtrack) - $369/each
Emotiva E1 (x4 - side and rear wall surrounds) - $269/pair

Emotiva's Airmotiv folded-ribbon-type speakers have been extremely well received as neutral and effortless with gobs of dynamic power, and compared favorably with GoldenEar speakers. They are Wharfedale killers.

http://emotiva.com/product-category/airmotiv/

Dolby Atmos / DTS: X overheads:

RSL C34E edge-less in-ceiling speakers with angled drivers (x 4) - $125 each

https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/

Subwoofer:

HSU Research VTF-3 mk5 - $769/each

A beast of a 15" subwoofer. Solid, tight, and punchy.

http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html

Receiver:

Denon AVR-X4300H - $799 (almost 50% off on close-out). Will receive a Dolby Vision and HLG pass-through firmware update, so it is not obsolete. 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos and DTS: X immersive decoding.

Try AV Science and talk to JD for great authorized pricing (that's where I usually buy my electronics as they're honest, helpful, and generous - they used to own the AVS Forum) or go to:

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRX430.../dp/B01KZRPNIQ (via Electronics Expo - always buy through an authorized dealer)

UHD Blu-ray player:

Splurge for the Oppo 203. You won't regret it! They also have cool features and image adjustments normally not seen in regular consumer players that can be very helpful for projectors. Also plays SA-CD and DVD-Audio audiophile discs.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 09-30-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page