Help w/ Recessed/Motorized Screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-25-2017, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Help w/ Recessed/Motorized Screen

Hey guys,

I'm purchasing a new home that I'll finally be able to make my long desired media/theater room a part of. I've already started trying to line things up so that I can get to work right away.

I plan on installing a television first for most TV shows and video games, and it may take a little while longer for the projector and screen to come in since I may want to take a break financially (purchasing a new home along with its requirements, a media room sound system, big screen 4K (doubt that I'm putting up the $ for an OLED), and comfy chairs is a killer financially). When I DO get the screen/projector, I plan on having it on the SAME wall as the TV. Thus, the only way that I believe that I can do it is to have a motorized screen be able to drop from the ceiling. That being said, I just had a few quick questions..

#1) Is something like this ok in terms of quality and performance for a motorized screen:

#2) Are there more types of these systems, and would you have any examples?

#3) I'm guessing you'd have to attache a decent beam of wood or other material to the wall above your screen somehow before attaching this device.

#4) Since the home is being built from the ground up, would you tell them to leave holes in the ceiling for a projector that'd eventually be installed, or would it be easy enough to let them make a full ceiling and then create the necessary space up there myself when it's time?

#4) What exactly is a "soffit"?

I truly appreciate any information that can be provided, even OUTSIDE of the few questions that I've asked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-25-2017, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

This is another guy who did something similar to what I'm describing. This looks absolutely awesome, but how long do you think it'd last if you even consider to be safe in the first place? If it was seen as okay, I might try to use this method myself

Last edited by Lionhartzero; 09-25-2017 at 12:17 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-27-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 307
I don't know about the particular screen you linked, but I have a motorized one in my setup. Mine is a "Da-Lite - 110" Diag. 54x96 Tensioned Cosmopolitan Electrol Screen, HDTV Format, H.C. Audio Vision Fabric." from my order confirmation email

It's been going on 4 years since I ordered it, but I'm pleased with it. I have a plan in mind to do a murphy bed behind the screen, so I wanted the retractable. I also will have the speakers behind it, so I needed acoustical transparency. Which is basically bunches of small holes to let the sound through. The important part is that you want it "tensioned" otherwise it'll roll and get weird after time.

I hardwired my switch, but I know you can automate the motor in several ways, IR, RF, 12V triggers, I think. I don't really put mine up and down that much, as I haven't actually built mine out.

I know Da-Lite has some options for hiding the screen. My screen's manual talked about hiding in a drop ceiling (tiles) and a few other things. I plan to build a wooden enclosure for it to match the rest of the cabinetry that I have yet to build . . .

post #4 of 5 Old 09-27-2017, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
#1 .
The screen in the video appears to be a Screen Innovations one and a motorized screen at 100" or more will be over $1000 or more. They make good screens I believe and I like their website, http://www.screeninnovations.com/

#2 .
There are other manufactures that you can look at like Seymour, Da-Lite, Draper, Elite and more that you could check out. Here is a link to Projector People that could give you some idea to look at.
https://www.projectorpeople.com/scre...nnovations.asp

#3 .
In the video it looks like the have a 2x6 wrapped in felt or something that has been fastened to the wall. You would want to attach it with long screws in the studs so that it could hold the weight of the screen.

You could probably mounted on a joist in the ceiling, but if you not going to get it right away I would just have dimensions of where you would want to put it or have an area boxed out for it when you are ready. If you are worried about soundproofing the boxed out idea may be the way to go so that the housing is soundproofed from above and it makes a nice place to mount your screen. I would also have power run to the are where you want to have it in the ceiling so you can tie it in easier.

Soffit's are used to hide things like duct work , piping, lights and for cabinets like in your kitchen. They extend down from the ceiling. See the photos I have attached.

I hope this of some help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-tonka-bar.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	2288882   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-lower-level.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	2288884   Click image for larger version

Name:	13-ice-age.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	2288886  
post #5 of 5 Old 10-04-2017, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys... I've been busy for the last couple of days so I could not respond, but I certainly appreciate your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page