Door Opening Back Wall: Examples? Advice)(?) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-26-2017, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Door Opening Back Wall: Examples? Advice)(?)

Hello, I am just starting to a movie watching room and in all the examples I have seen on this forum, the entry doors are generally from the sides of the room...not from the back.

I bring this up b/c of the limitations of my basement where the designated place is about 20ft x 15ft x 8ft (without covered ceiling). I would like to put up a wall to seal of this room but that pretty much means the entry door in the back of the room which means my riser will not be as wide as I have seen other do ( 10ft-11ft wide?)

I am almost sure that the door entry would have to go underneath the HVAC trunk/soffit (see attachments)

I would like to have:
seating for 6+ chairs
120"+ screen

Is a riser necessary or are there examples of staggered seating where the second row seats are positioned between the front row? If so could someone point me to some examples?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	24
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	2288558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1958.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	2288560   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1959.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	2288562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1960.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	2288564  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Mine is a rear entry (giggaty). I just sucked it up on on seating vs audio vs viewing positions. I rarely have too many in my theater, but when I do they're so enamored with the screen size and clarity they don't really care that they're in a corner.

You may not need a riser. You can look in to seatcraft rialto seats. They have different seat heights that act as a "natural" riser.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-26-2017, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 439
How much height under the HVAC? You might be able to do a full width riser, and have the step up to this level, outside the room. And then have an island style riser, that is seating plus footrest room, on top of the full width-width riser.

You don't have your screen centered in the room. Why not?

You also want two rows of three seats, so you could get away with 13' of room width, which means that HVAC soffiting could be very small.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-27-2017, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberk View Post
Mine is a rear entry (giggaty). I just sucked it up on on seating vs audio vs viewing positions. I rarely have too many in my theater, but when I do they're so enamored with the screen size and clarity they don't really care that they're in a corner.

You may not need a riser. You can look in to seatcraft rialto seats. They have different seat heights that act as a "natural" riser.
Thanks for the information on the seatcraft rialto and using search I was able to get some reviews/comments and it seems the front row seats would have been perfect but some reviews said they were not comfortable (just the front row)

I haven't ruled them out yet as I need to collect all my available options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
How much height under the HVAC? You might be able to do a full width riser, and have the step up to this level, outside the room. And then have an island style riser, that is seating plus footrest room, on top of the full width-width riser.

You don't have your screen centered in the room. Why not?

You also want two rows of three seats, so you could get away with 13' of room width, which means that HVAC soffiting could be very small.
Build a soffit around the hvac/support beam would take the ceiling from 8' to 7'

"You don't have your screen centered in the room. Why not? "
I would love to have the screen centered but I am concerned that the screen image would be blocked by the HVAC/soffit. My screen size is going to be between 120" to 133"
59(h) x 105(w) = 120" screen
65(h) x 116(w) = 133" screen

So if I targeted the image being underneath the soffit that would mean that the bottom of the screen is between 19" to 24" ( without any screen borders/frame) Can the 2nd row still get an uninterrupted view? If so ( couldn't find an online calculator to help me with viewing angles) that would be great as my preference is to have a centered room
post #5 of 5 Old 09-27-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 439
One possible layout for 2 rows of three seats.

Narrowed the room, to reduce the impact of the soffit, and centered a acoustically transparent screen. The entry door could be part of a shadow-boxed front design, along the lines of JBL's demo room. (I 'd suggest a black handle for the door and darker side walls...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	540.7 KB
ID:	2288914   Click image for larger version

Name:	note entry door up front.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	2288916  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement