Room layout advice - maximize seating - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-26-2017, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Room layout advice - maximize seating

Just moved into a new home, and was hoping to setup a projector in the family room. This will be my first projector - replacing a 55" LCD. My hope was to get somewhere between 100" and 120" picture. I'd like at least 6 adults to be able to watch TV/movies. I was thinking of something like an L or U shaped couch. The problem is, as you will see from the attached images, is that there is a support post sitting almost front and center about 128" back from the front wall. I'm assuming if I put the couch in front of the support beam, it will be too close to the screen - especially for folks on the side seats of the U shaped sofa. Of course, putting it behind the support post will look odd.

Wondering if anyone could offer advice on how I might setup this room?

Also notes that usage will be mostly TV viewing (50%) followed by Blu-Ray concerts (25%) and then movies (25%). We anticipate watching with at least some level of lighting on in the room (not theater dark). There will also be a 5.2 audio setup to go along with it.

Thanks for any advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Room1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	477.9 KB
ID:	2288718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Room2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	497.6 KB
ID:	2288720  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-26-2017, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You may have to incorporate your seating with the pole. Put the couch just before the pole and build a bar top into the pole and put some seating on the bar top. The pole being close may be a bit of a distraction to those sitting right by it but I don't really see much else.

If this is a space you're really going to use a lot I would definitely reach out to a contractor and structural engineer and see if you can beef up that beam and remove the pole. This is possible it's just a matter of how much $$$. Could be worth it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basement Theater/Rec Build 2.0 - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...ng-advice.html
post #3 of 4 Old 09-27-2017, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
What are the room dimensions? Are you wanting to put the screen on the same wall as the TV? For eye to screen distance for a 120" 16x9 screen could be between 10' to 11'. 11' is what is recommended, but the 2x screen height is used a lot on here. depends on what you are used to. I set at about 11' back from a 120" 16:9 screen, and have sat at 10'. but felt it was to close.
@ChadS13TDI idea of having two rows with one being a bar with bar stools is a good idea. Especially for sporting events. You could put two love seats on both sides of the pole and a bar behind them if there is room enough to fit them in. Average love seat is about 60" wide.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-28-2017, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The room is about 22' x 18'. There is no longer a TV in the room. The screen would go on the wall where those two recliner chairs are.

I do think I'm going to see what a structural engineer has to say.

Also, notice that ledge/shelf near the top of the wall... that's going to limit by about 12" being able to mount the screen to the top of the 8.5' ceiling. Should I be concerned about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page