Center speaker question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-01-2017, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Center speaker question

We are in the the process of finishing a living room renovation. We had our contractor install the TV above the fireplace (on a mount that will allow it to be pulled down to the proper viewing angle since we neither watch TV or use the fireplace that much). The problem is, that the contractor forgot to run speaker wire for a center speaker. I have (2) HDMI, (2), Cat 6 and (1) optical. I planned on using 1 HDMI from the Control 4 system, 1 Cat 6 to split apart for IR sensors as all of the electronics are in the basement, which leaves me with (1) HDMI, (1) Cat 6 and (1) optical. It seems like my current options are to (a) run a 4.1 system without the center, or (b) use the TV as a center (which most will say NO to). Do I have any other options? The room is a perfect rectangle with the TV in the center of the wide wall with a couch directly across from it and two chairs in the corners on the diagonal. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-01-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 852
If the contractor "forgot", then the contractor should be fixing it...

You're really not going to be happy with any solution other than running the wire. You could use one or both of those cat6 wires, with all conductors stripped and used, but that consumes a very valuable resource.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-01-2017, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks. I don't know anything about splitting Cat6 cables. In other places of the house there are some Cat5 cables that are split with multiple IR receivers wired in. How much could utility could I get out of a cat6? Could I get enough to power a center speaker and two IR receivers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page