Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-23-2000, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Hi,
I am about to take the plunge and buy my first RPTV (Toshiba TW40X81), but a thought just occurred to me. Are RPTV's sensitive to environmental changes?

I live in a log cabin and heat mostly with a woodstove and electric baseboard. As a network engineer, I am often called upon to travel for a week or so at a time, and typically turn off the electric heat in my entertainment room. It's cold as hedoubletoothpicks when I get back, but heats up quickly. The woodstove is not located in the same room that the TV will be in.

Will there be problems keeping the set in alignment with potentially cold weather? Will there be anything I need to be concerned with?

I am looking forward to owning this TV, but if I am going to experience problems with this, I will relent to a larger 4:3 set.

Thanks much!

Nethawk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-24-2000, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Be aware that some projection sets use liquid-filled lenses. Such a set would not likely survive a hard freeze in usable condition.

The usual term for the problems I think you would have is convergence and focus problems, caused by the mechanical changes associated with the cooling/heating cycles (alignment is a term most often used for electrical adjustments). You might also have a problem with moisture condensation on the lenses or screen (it's not gonna warm up inside the set as quickly as in the room, due to lack of air circulation). Finally, rear projection set cabinets typically are bonded togather with adhesives which may fail in the cold.

Frankly, I would advise against a projection setup in the environment you describe. You might consider a very large screen direct view set like a 36" Sony WEGA instead. Whatever you pick, check out the environmental specs with the manufacturer.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page