Outdoor (drive-in-like) theater on my front lawn this Friday night... ideas? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 358 Old 07-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How did you score that thing? Good priced even though it is not on this post anymore. Got any more? :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 358 Old 07-17-2005, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykretentiv
THe WAF is very high with these outdoor theaters. I have spent $XX,000 on theater equipement for our basement. All of the that required a great deal of, "Yes dear." or "Sure you can go to Paris with your friend and I'll stay home with the boys."

But when I mentioned the Drive Inn theater thing she jumpled all over it. She actually said, "Don't use your nice, new projector (Sanyo Z3). Go get a cheaper one so you don't have to worry about it as much. This is gonna be fun! When can you have it ready?"!!!!

I am ebaying right now. I figure a X1 or 4800 should be MORE than enough for this.

What projectors are you guys using for this type of stuff?
I used a Benq 6100 for my movie night, but I have an NEC lt85 with only 600 hrs on the bulb that I meant to take out there and fire up as well, but in all the excitement, I forgot. Next time I do it, I'll take the lt85 out to see how it works.

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #183 of 358 Old 07-17-2005, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Johnny,

Are you talking about my$10 pj?

Well, I had a $30.00 Sharp E1100U, with lens shift and working bulb, but I was "forced" to give that as a gift to my brother-in-law.

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #184 of 358 Old 07-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-eyd
Johnny,

Are you talking about my$10 pj?

Well, I had a $30.00 Sharp E1100U, with lens shift and working bulb, but I was "forced" to give that as a gift to my brother-in-law.

Victor
Yep that's what I was talking about.

Man that's another sweet deal. How does that E1100U look? I found one on ebay for about a good price. Not as good as your price but still pretty good.

I keep getting hung up on the specs when I should not be so picky. I should just use my Z3 but I'm a little scared of humidity and stuff.

Got an pjs for sale?
post #185 of 358 Old 07-17-2005, 08:50 PM

Liked: 10
I really enjoyed reading this thread... it has me very excited as well. Anyway, as I was reading and someone was describing what would make a good "outdoor" movie to watch, I thought of "The Secret of NIMH".

I think children would really enjoy it, and probably haven't already seen it. Also, many parents likely have seen it, but not for some time, and it would bring back some memories.

I have gone looking for myself. If I get back before I return, keep me here.
post #186 of 358 Old 07-17-2005, 10:15 PM

I use my Epson S1+. It has plenty of lumens for a big, bright image. I could wish for higher resolution, but we went into Circuit City today and were reminded how lousy a conventional TV signal looks, and came home feeling impressed again with the picture quality of a 600x800 projector.

Cherry Hills Driveway Theater
post #187 of 358 Old 07-18-2005, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
As previously mentioned (and update)...

I'm planning on using the Sharp Notevision XR-S1 that we picked up with a $200.00 off sale. So far, I've had it outside and it looks great and also we hosted the Friday Night Deck Party, but it rained so we were stuck inside mostly. I set it up for the kids in the living room and ran Pirates of the Carribean. People stayed unitl 11:30 and all are excited about the outdoor movie night.

I picked up an additional 5yds of BO cloth and a bunch of 1.25" PVC and put together a frame. The wife sewed the BO together (GREAT job Dear!) and we should have a 12'X8' screen. I'll post pictures soon.

We're going to show the original The Love Bug. I put together a DVD with a Drive-in 5 minute countdown, 3 Dog Night concert footage, Bugs Bunny (Hare-Raising Hare) and then the movie. A little something for everyone. I think everyone will love it.

Now, as long the wether cooperates......

Tom

Tom

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #188 of 358 Old 07-18-2005, 04:27 PM

In my signature below you'll find the link to my drive-in setup and events page.

Hope this helps get some of you motivated because this was a lot of fun for everyone.

Roger
------------------------------------------
post #189 of 358 Old 07-18-2005, 09:44 PM

NEC MT600, also with remote zoom/focus, etc. (which is VERY handy and I use every show -- the remote, that is.)

Take it outside...
BackyardTheater.com
-- photos | tips | diy info --
post #190 of 358 Old 07-19-2005, 03:59 AM
CPW

Markito,

If you still want to post the flyer you made using publisher, there is an option to save it as a jpeg.

Depending on which version of Publisher you are using, it may be under "Export as image" using the file menu.

On the version I use, you can simply choose a different file format (jpg) under the save dialog box. Hope this helps
post #191 of 358 Old 07-19-2005, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Roger--Loved your pictures (as I posted on a similar thread in the DIY screen section).

One thing I wanted to ask--how young were the kids that watched Jaws? I would love to do that movie (It'd be great to have a Spielberg summer next year), but I am afraid Jaws would be much too scary for the neighborhood kids (some as young as 3, like my child).

Next summer: Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Jaws, Indiana Jones, ET--that would be a great line-up!

Anyway, this summer has been a bit of an experiment for us, and we've only had one movie night so far. We figured one per month would be ideal. First was the Incredibles, which was a huge success. Next is the Iron Giant (I guess this Summer is a Brad Bird summer). Need something for September, and if the weather holds out, The Nightmare Before Christmas (as suggested by someone else) for Halloween. I am having a big surprise party at my house for my Dad's 60th birthday party, and his favorite movie is The Last of the Mohicans, so maybe that will close my theater for the year!

post #192 of 358 Old 07-19-2005, 07:35 AM

Steve, if the Brad Bird stuff is successful, try something by Brad's hero, Hiyao Miyazaki. We're going to show "Spirited Away" this weekend and I'm personally really excited about seeing it on a big screen. It was an Oscar winner in 2004.

post #193 of 358 Old 07-19-2005, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Sweet! It's nice to see you get such a good picture with a projector that is not REALLY bright. I'm gonna buy a inexpensive PJ this week so I can get a party setup for a few weeks from now.
post #194 of 358 Old 07-19-2005, 10:56 AM

Steve,

We put that parents could bring kids AT THEIR OWN RISK. I was surprised to see one family bring a 4 and 6 year old. They weren't too interested in the movie though, and didn't watch it much. I thought for sure that we'd be completely childless for that evening, but no such deal.

We are planning on doing "The Iron Giant" in August also. That is such an incredible movie, I'm surprised to see that it's not more popular.

In September we are planning another "grown-up" movie party, just not sure what. Someone did suggest "Raiders of the Lost Ark," but I was hoping to show something more recent. In early October we'll do "Robots."

Roger
post #195 of 358 Old 07-19-2005, 12:59 PM

If you print up flyers, like we do, you can get icons with the MPAA rating codes here:
http://mpaa.org/movieratings/

I use them on my flyers to alert parents to potentially scary material.

post #196 of 358 Old 07-19-2005, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys, thanks for sharing what you've been doing for your neighbourhoods. We all take it for granted how awesome it is to sit and watch a huge screen in our own homes, so it's great to share that feeling with so many others who probably haven't experienced it outside the cinema.
Look forward to seeing more like this.
post #197 of 358 Old 07-20-2005, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSly
Guys, thanks for sharing what you've been doing for your neighbourhoods. We all take it for granted how awesome it is to sit and watch a huge screen in our own homes, so it's great to share that feeling with so many others who probably haven't experienced it outside the cinema.
Look forward to seeing more like this.
I guess this is getting more and more popular. My dad, who came to our Incredibles event, told me the other day about how he heard someone on news radio commenting about someone doing an outdoor movie screen in their backyard in New York. Perhaps we are on the cutting edge?

post #198 of 358 Old 07-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

I just took the plunge and got a second projector from ebay!! I found a Infocus LP425 (700 lumens - 400:1 contrast) for under $300 Now I'm gonna build the screen and start making plans. I can't wait.

I especially can't wait to see how a $300 projector compares to my Sanyo Z3 :)
post #199 of 358 Old 07-21-2005, 12:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Great thread, great ideaas! I hope to do this myself next summer. This year is for finishing the theater inside. :-)

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #200 of 358 Old 07-21-2005, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd love to do this too but it's rained every day for the past month!!!

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
post #201 of 358 Old 07-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

I am going to build a outdoor theater as some of you have gathered from my previous posts.

I ordered Infocus LP425 (4:3, 700 lumens, 400:1 contrast) but need to know what aspect ratio screen I should make. All of my movies are widescreen format. Yes some come with the 4:3 version added in but every movie I own is widescreen. I will be running this through a laptop so I have some control over the dvd settings.

Should I make a 4:3 or a 16:9?

I guess I should put this in the screen section?
post #202 of 358 Old 07-21-2005, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

My recommendation is actually to make a 2.35:1 screen (constant height) and zoom or set the projector at the proper distance for filling the height. (I also have a 4:3 pj) 2.35:1 is what I did--and here's why:

1. Most big time movies (or high quality--whatever you want to say) are 2.35:1 (LOTR, Star Wars, The Incredibles, etc.).

2. It seems much more impressive to me to have a really big screen at that aspect ratio. For example, I show some previews at 16:9 before the show, and then zoom to fill when the 2.35:1 movie starts. It gives the illusion of even more size... especially when you go 4:3 to 2.35:1. In this case, a tv image shouldn't dwarf the movie image.

3. For me, it is much more manageable to handle width as opposed to height. My screen is about 7.5 x 16 feet. To go 16:9, I would (obviously) have to add 1.5 feet to my height, which makes the screen more difficult to set up, break down, etc. Click on the link in my sig to see my 2.35:1 screen.

4. Constant height is actually pretty easy to do when you can change the position of the projector or easily use the zoom. Inside is a different story for me, since my pj is ceiling mounted.

Hope this helps...

post #203 of 358 Old 07-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Just when I thought my home theater building was finished.. I had to stumbled upon this thread!! Okay, now some newbie questions.

I have a benq 8700, is that bright enough for a big screen outdoors? I could probably fit a 18' wide screen in my backyard.

It sounds like you all invite your neighbors. Since I'm the youngest in the neighborhood (24) and everyone else is old(er) (heh sorry guys), I might just stick to having the friends over to watch at first. My next door neighbors are nice, but are older and have grandchildren, etc. Any suggestions on the social aspect? I'm not sure how the neighbors would work with all my friends (think graduated kids, just wishing we were BACK in college :))

My first experiment might be with some HD sports that will be on this fall. Anyways, now I have something else to aspire to. Thanks to all the people on here for the ideas!

Oh, btw.. No WAF to deal with just yet ;)
post #204 of 358 Old 07-21-2005, 10:21 PM

Steve-

Just wondering why you didn't move the screen to the yard, and view from your balcony?

Don
post #205 of 358 Old 07-21-2005, 10:26 PM

Hokiefan-

Invite the neighbors, young and old! The old (er) ones will reminisce about those "drive-in" days. You may want to include bench seats from a '63 chevy! :rolleyes:

Don
post #206 of 358 Old 07-22-2005, 05:56 AM

Hokiefan,

I'd say invite the neighbors also. They may appreciate the invite, but also it cuts down on the chances of them calling the cops about noise if it extends into the later hours. Kinda gives them a heads-up on what's happening. We didn't know a good portion of our neighbors (even though we've lived there for 8 year now), but when they called to either accept or decline our invite they all said how happy they were to have been asked.

As far as the projector goes, my Pana PT-L300u only has 800 lumens and we say it perfectly outside on a 14" wide screen. Since the Benq has 1000 lumens you should be good to go.

Get started, Hokiefan, and have fun!

Roger
post #207 of 358 Old 07-22-2005, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Okay, I'll plan on asking them to come over too. I have an old couch inside that wouldn't look any worse if it spent a few hours outside. I figure the rest of the seats will be those folding canvas camping chairs. To cut down on dirt/wet/grass possibly some large tarps under the seating area.

On the screen, you guys have some creative ways of building the border that it mounts too! My goal is to minimize storage when its not in use. Possibly two tall PVC pipes for the sides, with guy wires attached to the top to keep them straight and put tension on the screen. Between the pvc pipes, run two steel cables to attach the bottom and top of the screen. This way the only big thing to store would be the PVC and cloth, the wires I could just roll up.

This black out cloth you guys are using.. Where can I pick it up? It looks like it is kinda stretchy. I'm still thinking of a good solution to mount the cloth to the pvc on the sides, and the wires on top and bottom... Maybe sew / staple the cloth back on itself to create a "channel" for the pipe/wires to slide through?
post #208 of 358 Old 07-22-2005, 07:05 AM

I used a canvas painter's dropcloth from Lowes for my screen. There's a seam that runs through the middle of the finished project, but when we were watching Jaws the other night that seam wasn't visible at all, which really surprised me.

Most fabric stores have 54-60" wide black out cloth. I've seen one site that has 80" wide stuff, but it's $.50 per inch! Kinda pricey for a rarely used screen.

Roger
post #209 of 358 Old 07-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Roger,

When you painted your screen, did the paint adhere well to the drop cloth? Would you think if I rolled the screen up after use the paint would get peely/cracky? I just checked out your website with the pictures, great job! How far off the ground is the bottom of your screen?

-Rich
post #210 of 358 Old 07-22-2005, 09:34 AM

The paint stuck to it very well, but I wish I had been able to spray instead of roll it.

I'm not sure if it would crack or not if it were rolled or folded. I used a latex paint so there's less of a chance that it would. My dad actually suggested that I test it first to see if it would crack, but I forgot to do that.

The entire height of the screen (legs included) is 8'. The bottom of the screen is 2' off the ground, but the screen is higher up than the rest of the yard. It has a slight downhill slope so people could see the screen over the people in front of them.

Roger
Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page