Help me connect VCR/DirecTV/TV :( - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-29-2005, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have no idea how to connect all of these

I have a non-stereo TV, a stereo VCR, and a DirecTV receiver D10-300.

Basically, I want to connect all of them so I can setup the VCR to tape shows when I am away. I tried it before, but it would only tape whatever is on channel 3 for the TV. (no way of saying "Hey DirecTV, it wants to tape channel 20, go there")

Am I missing something, because I really want to use my VCR to tape shows :-\\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-29-2005, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Well you have to run your directtv into your vcr. The thing is with the D10 you have to set both the vcr and the sat box. You will want to set the vcr to always recored ch3. On the sat box you will want to set the channel for auto tune. If you do this the sat box will automaticly change to the the channel you want to watch. Then all you have to do is set the vcr to recored ch 3 at that time.

Although if you have the sat box hooked to the vcr using line level in via the composite cable you will want to set the vcr to that line channel. Ussully it gos buy L1, F1, aux, etc.

I'd recomend if you can find an older RCA box with IR controller out. With this box a wire gos from the sat box to the front of the vcr. This allows the sat box to control the vcr. It will turn it on and recored. All you have to do is just leave the vcr on ch3 and turn off. I also find this older box is easy to recored stuff you just find the progam you want to recored press record on it. A message comes up informing you timmer 1 is set to recored this show at so and so time .
post #3 of 8 Old 04-30-2005, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If the above doesn't work, I think Direct tv has a tivo on sale for $99. That would be the best solution by far. You won't regret it.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-02-2005, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

See if you can find a remote control that has VCR time programming built in and which is universal enough to control both your sat. box and your VCR. You leave the VCR on channel 3 but in manual mode, not timer mode. You program the remote and put it on the coffee table where it can activate both the sat. box and the VCR as needed while you are not there.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Remember when lines and logos burned the TV screen? I was at a concert where a musical selection made extremely heavy use of about four of the keys of the piano.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-02-2005, 10:30 AM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by No Clue
If the above doesn't work, I think Direct tv has a tivo on sale for $99. That would be the best solution by far. You won't regret it.
Actually I think you can get them for 1/2 that or even less.

If you must use a VCR, as the above post pointed out, you need to run the "out to TV" cable from your sat. receiver into your VCR, and then run the VCR to the TV. Most satellite receivers have a timer that allow you to turn it on at specific times to specific channels. So, you would set your satellite box, for example, to turn to ESPN at 7:00. Then, you would set your VCR to tape channel 3 at 7:00 (under the configuration above, channel 3 on your VCR should be the same picture as your TV. Just as you always watch DirecTV with the TV on channel 3, your VCR will also always be on channel 3). Additionally, with this configuration, you will not be able to tape one thing and watch another.

All this is a major PITA compared to using a Tivo. When my mother-in-law asked me about six months ago how to record a show off of DirecTV with her VCR, I picked up the phone and ordered her a Tivo. She hasn't stopped thanking me:D .

tjk
post #6 of 8 Old 05-02-2005, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Absolutely, get a tivo. Oh, and burn that VCR.

Scott
post #7 of 8 Old 05-03-2005, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Does a TIVO unit work stand-alone, or must I subscribe to a service with a monthly fee in order to use it?

Remember when lines and logos burned the TV screen? I was at a concert where a musical selection made extremely heavy use of about four of the keys of the piano.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-03-2005, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Allan Jayne
Does a TIVO unit work stand-alone, or must I subscribe to a service with a monthly fee in order to use it?
Yes and Yes. They can be stand alone units, and they do have a monthly fee. But no more buying tapes with crappy picture.

Scott
Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page