HT or is it???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I'm sure some of you have read the crazy long post over on the speaker forum about the debated term "HOME THEATER".

So, what is a Home Theater?

I am one that thinks there is a difference between a Home Theater and a Dedicated Home Theater.

Home Theater to me means this:
1. A speaker system with 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 or more
2. Receiver or Processor
3. DVD or projector
4. Monitor or screen
5. Misc accessories ie. remotes, amps, eq's etc.

All of this can be located in any room of your HOME. Not limited to a dedicated space. More than likely it will be located in the living area.

Dedicated Home Theater to me means this:
all of the above with the exception that it has been installed in a dedicated room. Still in the Home or attached to the Home but used soley for the veiwing of movies.

So....what do you guys think???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenS
Ok, I'm sure some of you have read the crazy long post over on the speaker forum about the debated term "HOME THEATER".

So, what is a Home Theater?

I am one that thinks there is a difference between a Home Theater and a Dedicated Home Theater.

Home Theater to me means this:
1. A speaker system with 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 or more
2. Receiver or Processor
3. DVD or projector
4. Monitor or screen
5. Misc accessories ie. remotes, amps, eq's etc.

All of this can be located in any room of your HOME. Not limited to a dedicated space. More than likely it will be located in the living area.

Dedicated Home Theater to me means this:
all of the above with the exception that it has been installed in a dedicated room. Still in the Home or attached to the Home but used soley for the veiwing of movies.

So....what do you guys think???

I'll start this debate from the speakers forum.
Your definition is wrong. If all that gear is in the living room, than it is a surround set-up in your living room.
As I said in the other thread, is your realtor going to list your living room as a HT when you sell the home?

Here is the other thread for those that like to read.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=572044

Does not look like a HT to me.

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #3 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry, it's all my fault! :o

A guy posted that picture in the speaker forum to show off his setup, not asking for advice on his speakers until other forum members brought it up. I asked "Where's the Theater" because to me the room has everything to do with it and makes or breaks what a Home Theater is. I'm sorry if we end up beating a dead horse to death again, because of my convection on Home Theater.

Redhouse
post #4 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Dedicated home theater:
1. dedicated room (and all it's improvements)
2. no "combo" products (TV/VCR/DVD, home theater-in-a-box)
3. contain at least mid-grade brands (Denon, Pioneer Elite, Rotel, Parasound, Outlaw, SVS, Velodyne, etc...)

Home theater:
1. no "combo" products (TV/VCR/DVD, home theater-in-a-box, etc...)
2. contain mid-grade brands (Denon, Pioneer Elite, Rotel, Parasound, Outlaw, SVS, Velodyne, etc...)
3. did something to improve the sound (Auralex products - G.R.A.M.M.A/Subdude/MoPads/etc...)

Now, that doesn't mean you can't have a setup with a Pioneer 1015 receiver and/or Athena speakers, but I'm just seperating those who just bought something at Best Buy vs. those who shopped arround (did their homework) and invested in something decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink
Mr. Cialella is, without question, the AVS honorary MOST ADMIRED PERSON OF THE YEAR.:D
post #5 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

A few HT definitions...

home theater

Dictionary
home theater
n.
A system of sophisticated electronic equipment for the presentation of theater-quality images and sound in the home.

Technology
home theater
An audio/video entertainment center that has a large-screen TV and hi-fi system with three speakers in the front (left, right and center) and left and right speakers in the rear. Starting in the early 1990s, video inputs were added to stereo receivers and preamplifiers. Today, almost all vendors make a combination audio/video control center for home theater listening and viewing. See AC-3.

Wikipedia
home cinema
Home cinema, also called Home theater, seeks to reproduce cinema quality video and audio in the home.

The video aspect usually involves a large-screen and/or high definition television or a projection system. Quality audio reproduction is usually achieved with a high fidelity surround sound system.

"Home cinema" has become something of a buzzword. Technically, a home cinema could be as basic as a simple arrangement of a Television, VCR, and a set of speakers. It is therefore difficult to specify exactly what distinguishes a "home cinema" from a "television and stereo".

However, "home cinema" implies a real "cinema experience" and therefore a higher quality set of components. A typical home theater would include the following:

A large, high quality, display--generally a big-screen television ( Liquid crystal display television, plasma tv or crt tv but not rear projection tv) or possibly a projector, often HDTV capable.
One or more audio/video sources. High quality formats such as DVD or Laserdisc are preferred, though old home cinema setups use a stereo VHS. Cable, KU or C band are also common. As are hard disk based systems.
An audio system that is capable of surround sound (at least 4.0 though most are 5.1 or higher). This usually consists of at least 4 (though more are common) full range speakers and in some cases a subwoofer for LFE. Sometimes a specialized decoder is used to allow the playback of newer surround-sound formats.
Comfortable seating and organization to improve the cinema feel. This might include several comfortable recliners and curtains or subdued room lighting (required for projectors) to enhance the experience.
Some home cinema enthusiasts will go so far as to build a dedicated room in the home for the theater. Such a room is often decorated to resemble an actual cinema, with specialized furniture, movie posters, or a popcorn or snack machine. These more advanced installations often include sophisticated acoustic design elements, including "room-in-a-room" construction that isolates sound and provides the potential for a near ideal listening environment. These installations are often designated as "screening rooms" to differentiate from simpler installations.

These days it is possible to purchase "home theater in a box" kits from various promiment electronics companies. These kits include a set of speakers for surround sound, an amplifier/tuner for adjusting volume and selecting video sources, and sometimes a DVD player or VCR. Though these kits pale in comparison to a true custom built home cinema, these kits are attractively priced. One needs only to add a television and some movies in order to create a simple home theater.

A fairly recent addition to the Home Cinema world is the Home Cinema PC (HCPC). These systems are very versatile and make a great addition to any home cinema because of their relatively simple integration into any set up. They can be easily customised and with the right configuration the picture and audio quality can match the performance of some of the best equipment availalbe for a fraction of the cost.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #6 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

I would agree a "dedicated home theater" needs a room designed for that very purpose. Otherwise, most systems outside of the HTIB, would be a home theater even if in a living room...
post #7 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Ok Redhouse and Craig.....where are all those that agree with you?
post #8 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This post has been up for an hour and you think a conclusion has been drawn? :rolleyes:

Craig

post #9 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Damn, you just posted this and got 3 replys from two people, take a chill.

Your a funny guy............. :D

Redhouse
post #10 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Well, by the way you have described it this would set off a giant "net bomb" and we would be shown the light....:)
post #11 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
My definition of Home Theater is your definition of Dedicated Home Theater. The dedicated part is redundant. Just like you don't say that you have a dedicated bedroom or a dedicated bathroom.

You either have a HT or you don't, just like you either have a dining room or you don't. You can't put a table and chairs in your kitchen and say you have a dining room. A HT is a type of room. You may have some HT equipment in your living room, but it's still a living room.

I have a 5.1 set-up in my living room with a 50" TV, DVD player, etc. Is it a HT? No, it's my living room.
I also have a 5.1 set-up in our game room with a 36" TV, DVD player, etc. Is it a HT? No, it's the game room.
I also have a HT with a 7.1 set-up, 126" screen, DVD player, etc. Is it a HT? yes.

By your way of thinking I'd have THREE home theater's in my house. That's ridiculous.

"Honey, want to watch a movie in the Theater?"
"Sure, which one?"

People that don't have a home theater are always trying to convince everyone that they do. Why? Just enjoy what you have. Up until a year ago, I never had a HT. I didn't care. I had a perfectly enjoyable 5.1 set-up in my living room. When people came over I never referred to it as my Home Theater. If I would have, they would have said "It looks like a living room". A HT is a type of room, plain and simple.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #12 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

We aren't talking about bedrooms or dining rooms are we?

We are talking about Home Theaters and Dedicated Room Home Theaters. There is a difference due to the location of the equipment but they are still both Home Theaters.

To make weird analogies that really don't apply when it comes to this unique hobby doesn't make any sense to me.
post #13 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu
My definition of Home Theater is your definition of Dedicated Home Theater. The dedicated part is redundant. Just like you don't say that you have a dedicated bedroom or a dedicated bathroom.

You either have a HT or you don't, just like you either have a dining room or you don't. You can't put a table and chairs in your kitchen and say you have a dining room. A HT is a type of room. You may have some HT equipment in your living room, but it's still a living room.

I have a 5.1 set-up in my living room with a 50" TV, DVD player, etc. Is it a HT? No, it's my living room.
I also have a 5.1 set-up in our game room with a 36" TV, DVD player, etc. Is it a HT? No, it's the game room.
I also have a HT with a 7.1 set-up, 126" screen, DVD player, etc. Is it a HT? yes.

By your way of thinking I'd have THREE home theater's in my house. That's ridiculous.

"Sure, which one?"

People that don't have a home theater are always trying to convince everyone that they do. Why? Just enjoy what you have. Up until a year ago, I never had a HT. I didn't care. I had a perfectly enjoyable 5.1 set-up in my living room. When people came over I never referred to it as my Home Theater. If I would have, they would have said "It looks like a living room". A HT is a type of room, plain and simple.

Thank you!!!!!

Craig

post #14 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We aren't talking about bedrooms or dining rooms are we?

We are talking about Home Theaters and Dedicated Room Home Theaters. There is a difference due to the location of the equipment but they are still both Home Theaters.

To make weird analogies that really don't apply when it comes to this unique hobby doesn't make any sense to me.
Actually, I don't think there has been a part of the house that has not been brought up in this thread or the other on-going thread in the link below.

What is so weird about Stew4msu's analogy??
I think you get it... you just don't want to.

Craig

post #15 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We are talking about what is a Home Theater, take the dedicated away and it's still a Home Theater. What you have in your family room for any room for that matter, that's not a Home Theater room, is not a Home Theater.

Redhouse
post #16 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu

"Sure, which one?"

I have to agree.

- Michael

====================
Infocus ScreenPlay 7205
Marantz SR8500 AVR
Tannoy D70 Towers
KEF Q10c Center
KEF Q2ds Rears
M&K MX-150THX Sub
post #17 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

So can some of you explain why every manufacturer of "home theater" gear and equipment use the term "home theater"? Are they just assuming that the majority of consumers are putting this stuff in a dedicated home theater room???? Or did they not get the memo?
post #18 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So can some of you explain why every manufacturer of "home theater" gear and equipment use the term "home theater"? Are they just assuming that the majority of consumers are putting this stuff in a dedicated home theater room???? Or did they not get the memo?
As I said before...
again... the words theater on the road or at home was on my sons portable DVD player with a 7 inch screen. :confused:
When I go to the Best Buy “HT†section.
I can find just as many 15 inch displays as I can 50 or 60 inch displays. So since they are in the HT section, if I put one of those 15 inch sets in my kitchen…. by your terms I have a HT. Right.
See… this is what I am talking about. I have several posts where members say…â€why do they call it theater in a box?†or something like that. Companies have found a way of marketing their A/V products and slapping HT on it some where.
The term HT has been VERY saturated at this point and eventually will be lost amongst the masses. :(

Craig

post #19 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 11:47 AM

True, the definition of "theater" would imply that the room resembles an actual, classical, theater. I would tend to agree with your stringent definition of home theater, and suggest that the phrase "home entertainment center" be used to describe peices of equipment which may be in any room and does not imply anything of the actual functionality of the room as a whole. Theater implies the purpose of the room is watching movies by your definition, and conventionally it is hard to argue that. Also, the english language has a way of adapting through usage, and the fact of the matter is no matter how technically correct you may be, many people will continue to use the phrase against your definition until it is common enough that you cannot fight it. I'd tend to think that many people objected to "movie houses" becoming "movie theaters" because in the classics sense even they lack many of the defining quality of a theater such as a stage and orchestra pits or such not to mention curtains or live performances. My point is, people are going to call it what they will, its definately not something to get worked up about.
post #20 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You said it yourself, when you buy that Home Theater gear and equipment, that's what your buying the gear, not a Home Theater. Your buying a small part of whole package. That company don't care were you put it, they only sold you the equipment.

Redhouse
post #21 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPtimeACE
True, the definition of "theater" would imply that the room resembles an actual, classical, theater. I would tend to agree with your stringent definition of home theater, and suggest that the phrase "home entertainment center" be used to describe peices of equipment which may be in any room and does not imply anything of the actual functionality of the room as a whole. Theater implies the purpose of the room is watching movies by your definition, and conventionally it is hard to argue that. Also, the english language has a way of adapting through usage, and the fact of the matter is no matter how technically correct you may be, many people will continue to use the phrase against your definition until it is common enough that you cannot fight it. I'd tend to think that many people objected to "movie houses" becoming "movie theaters" because in the classics sense even they lack many of the defining quality of a theater such as a stage and orchestra pits or such not to mention curtains or live performances. My point is, people are going to call it what they will, its definately not something to get worked up about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000
The term HT has been VERY saturated at this point and eventually will be lost amongst the masses. :(

Craig
Exactly!!!

post #22 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Again Craig.....read my definition of a Home Theater at the top of this thread.

I'm not saying you can put a TV in your kitchen and call it a HT. Why are you being so ridiculous with that? We are discussing the term HT when it is used to describe HT gear (which I have listed above) in your Living room or other area that you watch movies.

If you have a Dedicated room for your Home Theater.....well, that's a different term in my book. I want to know how many agree with that.

So far I haven't seen an overwhelming group coming to your side. But it's still a young thread!
post #23 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 12:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
These threads are like a car wreck - you just can't look away. . .
post #24 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Again Craig.....read my definition of a Home Theater at the top of this thread.

I'm not saying you can put a TV in your kitchen and call it a HT. Why are you being so ridiculous with that? We are discussing the term HT when it is used to describe HT gear (which I have listed above) in your Living room or other area that you watch movies.

If you have a Dedicated room for your Home Theater.....well, that's a different term in my book. I want to know how many agree with that.

So far I haven't seen an overwhelming group coming to your side. But it's still a young thread!

Quote:
"The Fact of what a Home Theater is"

Wow...that is profound. :)

A TRUE home theater is (like most things) what you make of it.

Allen you said this in the other thread where I have already had to quote you on it.
In your words, I can make a 15 inch tv a HT.

Craig

post #25 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim
These threads are like a car wreck - you just can't look away. . .

Hahahaha....

Craig

post #26 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Craig...I've already responded to this. I said that it's a give that we assume we are talking about HT gear etc. This is a HT forum. Your taking that out of context and way to literal. I have a ton of other posts that state my exact point in this issue. You know this better than everyone else here.

I did use the words "home theater" in there. With the assumption it is defined the way I described it in this and all the other posts. Let it go man...let it go.

You seem to be the only one trying to make this my foundation in my arguement.

I will say this...just for the record. In NO WAY am I angry about this. It's actually very entertaining to me. So Craig and Redhouse....touche.....you guys are crazy yes, but not jerks IMO. :)
post #27 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In NO WAY am I angry about this.
Sure your not... ;)

Quote:
I have a ton of other posts that state my exact point in this issue. You know this better than everyone else here.

Only time will tell... ;)

Again… for those that wish to see this other thread… it is right here.

Craig

post #28 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 12:48 PM
cme
AVS Special Member

Thanks for taking this to another thread (no sarcasm intended). I felt that the discussion there was a rather rude welcome to these forums.

I concur with the poster who said that a word means whatever the majority agrees it means. Dictionaries are coming around to this point, although some will add usage guidelines to point out that a particular definition may not be technically correct.

An ideal HT might include a projector, screen, 5.1+ sound, rows of seating and a dedicated room. For the purposes of this discussion, I'd call that a "dedicated HT" - but I often drop the "dedicated" when I'm lazy. If I don't specify, most of the people I'm talking to won't understand what I'm saying. Technical word definitions aside, if the conversation counterparty isn't taking things the same way I intended, then communication isn't working properly and explanations are called for.

Moving down from 'ideal' to 'minimum,' I'd say that a home theater is a fixed installation with at least 4 speakers (phantom center and/or no sub is OK) and a reasonably large screen (exactly how large is arbitrary and depends on the room size and/or viewing distance). The "home" qualifier to me does imply the main theater, so I'd call 4 speakers and a 25" CRT TV in the bedroom a bedroom theater...
post #29 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Well according to Redhouse and Craig you can't call it a theater at all.

You must say bedroom surround sound system, or living room surround sounds system, etc.

So for example my set up would be called...a 7.1 living room surround sound system, or maybe a surround sound system in my living room with 7.1 speakers, or maybe I should call it a family room? I'm not sure what qualifies as a "family room" or a "living room" maybe I should start a thread on that?

With that kind of logic I need to make sure I state that my hobby isn't "home theater" it's really surround sound systems that can be used in your living room. Come 'on you don't see the humor in that???

It's so much easier and more widely understood to just say I have a home theater. I don't have to specify where it is.

So when people come over they say "hey your into home theater?" I reply "yes, I am". It's silly to say "Yes I am, but this isn't a home theater". And then I'll have to run then down the explainaiton of why it really isn't etc....complicated nonsense.
post #30 of 702 Old 08-25-2005, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well according to Redhouse and Craig you can't call it a theater at all....

Yes... Redhouse and Craig are the only people who feel this way.... please!

The other ongoing thread on this topic is in the link below.

Craig

Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page