2Likes

post #361 of 763 Old 07-12-2008, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Scott,

It was a pic to show the entrance into the HT since that wasn't there in the beginning.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 763 Old 07-16-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Here is my before/after

This is the only pic for a "before" i could find

and after...

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

post #363 of 763 Old 07-17-2008, 06:18 AM

FRONT - BEFORE:

FRONT - AFTER:

BACK - BEFORE:

BACK - AFTER:

EQUIPMENT CLOSET - BEFORE:

EQUIPMENT CLOSET - AFTER:

More pics and complete equipment list on my HT page. I should have a bunch of pictures of the almost complete HT lobby on my page by this weekend, too.

|
|
|

post #364 of 763 Old 07-17-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Very nice transformation. Is there a way to sit in the sweet spot? It's not clear if those armrests are in the sweet spot or offset.

Build Thread:
post #365 of 763 Old 07-17-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Very nice transformation.

Thanks, Nathan.

I had it very easy compared to your project (I just read through your HT construction thread, which I found fascinating). Man, you had some very significant challenges to overcome. You did an amazing job. The transformation is outstanding.

Quote:

Is there a way to sit in the sweet spot? It's not clear if those armrests are in the sweet spot or offset.

Yeah, technically the two center seats are slightly offset an equal amount from perfect center, but it doesn't bother me in the least. The screen is big enough that I feel like I'm on-center when I'm watching a film.

Of course the seats are Berklines, so it would be very easy for me to shift things around temporarily if I'm watching a movie solo and am so inclined.

|
|
|

post #366 of 763 Old 07-19-2008, 04:59 AM

Phase 2 of my lobby area was completed last night.

The lobby area was an empty bonus room on the second floor of my home, just around the corner from the theater room. Phase 3 will improve on what you see here with an upright multi-arcade game, a pinball machine and more decorative touches.

Here's the before:

After shots. I've included descriptions and links for those who might be interested.

This is the view as you come up the stairs and then turn towards the lobby:

Here's the main concession area. The retro-style Coca-Cola napkin dispenser and glass Coca-Cola straw dispenser can be seen on the left hand side of the display case. The illuminated buttery topping dispenser & warmer is on the right side of the display case:

Here's a view of the candy in the 48" concession display w/lock. Some of the candy was purchased locally at Costco, but most of it had to be special ordered. From top left to bottom right: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kats, Orbit Chewing Gum, Sno-Caps, Snickers, M&Ms, Junior Mints, Assorted nuts, Peppermint Patties, Whoppers, Raisinets and Goobers:

Here's the Paragon 6oz Theater Pop popcorn machine and its matching stand. Inside the popcorn machine is a stainless steel popcorn scoop. On the wall behind the popcorn machine is a decorative "Dancing Popcorn" metal wall sign:

This is the top shelf inside the popcorn machine stand. In this view you can see a small supply of large popcorn tubs and medium "pop open" popcorn cartons. In order to save money I purchased these items by the case. The extra popcorn cartons and tubs are stored in the theater's big A/V closet:

This is the bottom shelf inside the popcorn machine stand. Here you can see a few bottles of Odell's "Supur Kist-Two" movie theater popcorn topping along with a supply of 32oz waxed cups and matching lids. Like the popcorn tubs, these items are cheaper by the case. In addition to what you see here, I've got an ample supply stored in the A/V closet:

This is the Frigidaire Compact Refrigerator/Freezer. On top of the fridge you can see a couple different brands of popcorn packs in the large popcorn tubs. On the left I've got a good supply of Great American popcorn packs, and on the right I've got some Gold Medal "MegaPop" popcorn packs. Both are excellent:

There's plenty of room in the refrigerator: it holds around (50) 12oz beverages and (8) 24oz bottles of water--with room to spare. The fridge can easily keep these drinks just above freezing (and, as I found out, below freezing if you set the temperature controls to low):

There's plenty of room in the freezer for a large quantity of ice. The freezer has no problem going sub-zero:

Looking towards the lobby's half-wall, you can see the retro popcorn-themed bullet trashcan. In Phase 3 a stand up multi-arcade game will be added just to the left of the trash can:

Here's a closer shot of the trash can:

Here's another movie poster. You may have noticed "The Terminator" movie poster in some of the earlier shots. All the movie posters were ordered from movieposter.com. In addition to what you see in the pictures on this page, I've got a bunch of other movie posters that can be rotated into use with ease. The posters are housed in SpeedLock movie poster frames. These frames make changing the posters out a snap. A pinball machine will be added just to the right of the movie poster (in front of the window) in Phase 3:

Here's my DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray collection, which is currently around 1,500 titles. The tall DVD Wall Unit on the left houses my HD-DVDs and Blu-ray DVDs, while the two large DVD wall units hold my standard definition DVD collection:

As mentioned above, for Phase 3 I'll be adding a stand up multi-arcade machine along with a pinball machine. I'll also be adding some more decorative items, such as a custom illuminated theater sign and so on.

|
|
|

post #367 of 763 Old 07-19-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I love it! Wonderful work!

Randy

post #368 of 763 Old 07-19-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Awesome lobby. As you might notice from my HT construction thread, there is an ante-room (small) prior to entering my theater. Right now, it's filled with a treadmill, and equipment rack. Once I rebuild the garden shed with a window, electricity, and insulation the treadmill will be moved to the shed -- and I'll be able to build a small lobby area. I cannot wait. That really is a key part of the experience. Of course, I should also get some better seats.....

Build Thread:
post #369 of 763 Old 07-19-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

I love it! Wonderful work!

Thanks! Today we got to enjoy it the lobby for the first time prior to watching a movie and it really added a lot to the overall experience.

Quote:

As you might notice from my HT construction thread, there is an ante-room (small) prior to entering my theater. Right now, it's filled with a treadmill, and equipment rack. Once I rebuild the garden shed with a window, electricity, and insulation the treadmill will be moved to the shed -- and I'll be able to build a small lobby area. I cannot wait.

Ah, I'm looking forward to following this project. Keep us posted!

|
|
|

post #370 of 763 Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

WOW you guys really have some nice theater rooms, I can only dream...

post #371 of 763 Old 08-25-2008, 05:45 AM

I have got some great ideas form here, Cant wait till i start my room

post #372 of 763 Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 AM

Mine isn't as extravagant as others but it's converted bedroom to media room and by the wife's request be easily converted back, nothing too permanent. It's also my first time doing this on a very very low budget with very little expertise and only these forums to refer to for help. Regardless I ended up with a great sanctuary.

Before:

Jason
Austin, TX (Hook 'em)

post #373 of 763 Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
tx-flip--great work! Looks very nice considering the budget and WAF!

BTW, did you test the sound before and after your acoustic wall treatment?

What size/materials are they?

creative>energy

post #374 of 763 Old 08-27-2008, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the compliment. I got them from ATSAcoustics. I could tell a difference doing the good old 'clap' test with the scenarios - room without furniture, room with furniture, then with furniture and panels (no test with just panels alone). The additions was not a night and day change but still an improvement. The cushy furniture of course had the largest impact obviously but I do believe the panels really helped. If you run into larger empty space I do highly recommend. I believe mine are the 24x48x2.

Jason
Austin, TX (Hook 'em)

post #375 of 763 Old 08-27-2008, 07:43 PM

Liked: 11
here's my before/after:

post #376 of 763 Old 08-29-2008, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Before:

After:

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (
, and
)
Pixar screenplay slideshows
!
post #377 of 763 Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

Before:

After:

Dude, what a great use of space!

Rocky
post #378 of 763 Old 08-29-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

i dont know. screen looks kinda small. and i dont really see a "sweet spot"

little too much red also.

it sucks. try again

Xbox360 / PS3 / Failed HDM Supporter
I have no idea what you are referring to
Gamertag: antwon412
(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
post #379 of 763 Old 08-29-2008, 08:36 AM

What is this? A center for ants? ------Zoolander

Jason
Austin, TX (Hook 'em)

post #380 of 763 Old 08-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

I'm a little late to the party, but here are my pics anyways.

post #381 of 763 Old 08-29-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

Before:

After:

I have questions and observations:

How many inches of aisle room do you have?
How are you going to hook up your wii wireless bar?
What is the height of your riser?
How much reflection do you get on those ceiling tile runners?
Why oh why didnt you go scope?

and for observation: Its amazing how much wider your room appears now that you have painted your ceiling black.

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

post #382 of 763 Old 09-08-2008, 09:47 AM

Before

After

post #383 of 763 Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 713
quick question.... how would the picture compare (detail wise, espically with video games) on a projector to a sony 60" xbr2? Do you lose alot?? thanks in advance..
post #384 of 763 Old 09-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

quick question.... how would the picture compare (detail wise, espically with video games) on a projector to a sony 60" xbr2? Do you lose alot?? thanks in advance..

Sort of a vague question. We have no idea which projector/screen combo you are referring to or your room dynamics. Also this isn't the correct forum for that type of question. You need to post this in the projectors forums. One thing I do know....the picture will be much larger!

Jon

post #385 of 763 Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_flip View Post

Hey TXFlip, where and for how much did you get that glass shelf?

Thanks,

Kevin

!
post #386 of 763 Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

WOW... I never thought this post would still be going like this. I originally started this post to help people come up with planning ideas and to be able to visualize certain layouts and setups. It's nice to see all of these home theaters go from start to finish...

I miss my theater (divorce)... But I got all the basement audio and video equipment

post #387 of 763 Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA View Post

WOW... I never thought this post would still be going like this. I originally started this post to help people come up with planning ideas and to be able to visualize certain layouts and setups. It's nice to see all of these home theaters go from start to finish...

I miss my theater (divorce)... But I got all the basement audio and video equipment

Noooo. Your room was a huge help for my build. I took many of your ideas and put them in my room.

Check out
post #388 of 763 Old 10-28-2008, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah Buff, you are a living legend around here!

Randy

post #389 of 763 Old 10-28-2008, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
BEFORE:

AFTER:

More pics in my thread linked in my sig.

||
post #390 of 763 Old 10-28-2008, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^you know, i kinda like the "before" better......

j/k! thats sweet man, i love that carpet. why the wires hanging down from the ceiling - did you remove your PJ or have you not decided on one yet?

Xbox360 / PS3 / Failed HDM Supporter
I have no idea what you are referring to
Gamertag: antwon412
(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page