Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 761 Old 01-13-2006, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

The top half is patterned drapery fabric. The bottom half is black suede. On top of 1" Linacoustic sound treatment insulation. We did 5 coats of mahogany stain on th echair rail, crown moulding, and baseboards.

My next project is a 3rd row bar just like you've got. I like the raised ledge on the back edge... that might help keep a plate of nachos or a pint of beer from falling onto the 2nd row.

Clarence,
Do you have the Linacoustic behind both the top and bottom fabrics? If it's only on the bottom, how did you attach the fabric on top? Love the pattern on that one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 761 Old 01-13-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Here is mine:

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #33 of 761 Old 01-13-2006, 07:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyNAVY View Post

Clarence,
Do you have the Linacoustic behind both the top and bottom fabrics? If it's only on the bottom, how did you attach the fabric on top? Love the pattern on that one!

Thanks, I searched for months for the right fabric and I really like the one that I finally found... dark with a rich, subtle, low-contrast, non-floral pattern. But I haven't been able to get a good picture of it... that room soaks up the light and doesn't look right with flash.

The short answer is "yes, I put Linacoustic on the top and bottom and I'd do it again".

Click "My HT Contruction Thread" in my signature for more details, specifically (here) and (here). And pictures of installing the Linacoustic and fabric (here).

Tip: For DIY, it's much, much, much easier to make fabric look good than drywall. And I've always said that the $140 roll of Linacoustic is the best money I spent in my whole HT.

But instead of going further off topic, let's see some more Before & After...

Before:

After:

I need to take some updated pictures... that still shows the old Marquee instead of my G90.
post #34 of 761 Old 01-13-2006, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Dabreeze: The projector is a H77, the screen is a Behr ultra pure white (for now, still working on it) and the audio is a Yamaha RXV-2500 with Paradigms (Monitor 7 towers, CC350, ADP350, and mini-monitors for the presence speakers (pictured over the towers)...

Clarence: 5 coats of stain... Holy hell, and I thought 2 coats was bad. I now see that its not a faux finish. Thats great looking wall material. I like the integration of the material into the chairs.

Chinadog: It's actually a piece of bullnosed oak. If you go look in the stair tread and handrail section at home depot they have full pieces of oak that already bullnosed and have the notch cut out. You simply set it on your riser, glue it, and nail it til the glue dries. It really made the riser stick out and not look like a block of carpet. Getting the rows of dots to line up horizontally and vertically was the hard part. Thank god I didn't do the carpet The wood is not that red and neither are the walls...

Art: I bet you really had to dig for some unfinished basement pics since you've built 2 HT rooms since then. I still remember your crush velvet purple pit
post #35 of 761 Old 01-13-2006, 08:29 PM

Okay, how about a "before" and getting close :-) We're not done and the finished room was taken awhile back, but here's what we've got thus far. A work in progress, as they say. I could not do all I wanted as our builder (new home) wouldn't allow us to do any of our own work....
LL
post #36 of 761 Old 01-15-2006, 01:46 PM

What type of wood and stain did you use????? thats absolutely beautiful
post #37 of 761 Old 01-15-2006, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManTown2 View Post

What type of wood and stain did you use????? thats absolutely beautiful

I used 2 coats of Polyshades antique walnut in a satin finish with a light sanding in between coats. I tried about 20 different colors and applications before I settled on this. It really looks best on birch plywood and poplar. The sande plywood can come out spotty in sections but the oak around the riser and the embossed trimmed pieces came out better than I expected...

http://www.minwax.com/products/onest...ades-color.cfm
post #38 of 761 Old 01-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Man:

I now have a new purpose to life after seeing the home theater set ups in here. To think that I thought I'd be happy with just getting a nice surround sound setup (maybe the new denon 2807 and aperion 5.1 speakers) and then upgrade my 32" sharp aquos to perhaps a panasonic 55inch plasma w/ 1080P (i think it comes out this year) and a nice salamander furniture setup. Man was I wrong. My fiance is gonna kill me when I show her these picks and just tell her that the $8000 that I'm gonna spend in the next year will just be to hold me over until I join the big boys on this board!!!

If you don't mind me asking, would anybody be willing to breakout the costs of the entire home theater? I'd be quite interested....of course I guess first i need to save for a house....
post #39 of 761 Old 01-16-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley View Post

would anybody be willing to breakout the costs of the entire home theater?

There are a wide variety of budgets and lots of good threads... search around. $20K-$30K seems to be a common budget. A lot depends on whether you do the labor.

I spent a bit less:
"DIY Build Cost Question - How much did you pay?" (link)
post #40 of 761 Old 01-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

I guess the one difference between y'all and myself is that you have found what appears to be your last home or at least the home you expect to spend the majority of your life in. I believe i'm a good 15 years away and a bunch of transition homes before I hit that point. Until then, I feel as though if I put that much money into a room I'd never want to move out.

I wonder if the amount invested in the room typically pulls in the same value or more when the house is sold????

For now I guess modular furniture, plasmas or lcd tvs, and small bookshelf surround sound speakers.
post #41 of 761 Old 01-17-2006, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, this is only my 2nd home at age 33. My house is only 5 years old and we bought it new so I looked at this as a investment. I finished a little over 1000 ft2 and in the process I added an extra bedroom, full bath, bar, and a home theater. I now have 6 bedrooms and 5 full baths which the appraisers will factor in. The bar and home theater rooms will also help increase the utility of my home or at least give my home a selling advantage over the other houses. You can pretty much guarantee that when you sell your home, if you stick a sign out front that says finished day light basement/bar/HT room, most people are going to want to stop in and take a peek and maybe say at the end of the day "What about that one with the HT room?" There are some really nicely done basements in my neighborhood but they go one way or another. Either they have nice bars and OK HT room, or they have nice HT room but OK bars. I went the way of the best of both worlds because homes have been reselling in the 5's lately.

You can save a lot of money by doing it yourself but I got a little lucky. I happen to be a stay home dad (I like to call it my first retirement from Merrill Lynch at the age of 29 ) and found a guy that I could work with who had most of the right tools and answers so I didn't screw things up. For me, it just happen to be a right place, right time, right person kinda thing.

Anyone find some more before and after photos...
post #42 of 761 Old 01-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Wurd up, Merrill Lynch in the house. Bonus was definitely good this year especially at 26 years old (total comp up 69% baby!!!). Still years away from retirement let alone a house. In the NYC area, a small cape cod is gonna cost me at least $450K!!! No room left for home theater....sigh.....
post #43 of 761 Old 01-19-2006, 08:41 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen of this "Before/After" Thread who posted pics, I compliment you and salute all of you greatly on your efforts. I am in the last three or four weeks of finishing out my 1,400 square foot basement completely (which started on October 1, 2005) -- with a bar, pub area, powder room, DVD Display Area, Wine Cellar, and dedicated 10-seat 9.2-channel home theater w/ a 2.35:1 CIH screen -- so I certainly can appreciate all of your work. Congrats.

I would submit my WIP but I can never get my large digital shots to work on AVSforum. I think you are limited in file size and I can never get my shots down in size enough to post (I believe this is the case). If someone wants to clue me in on how to cut a 2 MB picture size down to post here I would love to hear from you.

Anyway, all your pictures look fantastic. Enjoy your creations!

Cheers,
Jeff

You stay classy, Planet Earth!

The Rubicon Theater and basement project: http://jeffandmary.smugmug.com

Home Theater by 8250theaterworks: www.8250theaterworks.com
post #44 of 761 Old 01-19-2006, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Jeff,

Got to see your pics. Don't host on AVS, host on a free picture service like Fotki.com, ofoto.com, etc, then link to them.

Bud
post #45 of 761 Old 01-19-2006, 10:08 PM

Bud,

Yep, that's what I think I'll do. Hopefully I'll have them posted shortly. The basement is actually going to be somewhat of a movie memorabilia museum-type of basement as well as functioning bar outside of the 31.5' (L) x 14'10" (W) x 8' (H) 10-seat dedicated theater. We really did a good job (we think) with a somewhat limited space (i.e. we really squeezed in a lot of stuff without making the basement feel too crowded).

To be a bit more descriptive, if you don't mind, my wife and I have three large replicas (1:1 scale Darth Vader, Boba Fett, and Han Solo in Carbonite, which will be placed in specific areas of the basement for best effect) as well as a bunch of smaller replicas (the Hellboy Samaritan, various lightsabers, The One Ring of Sauron -- which lights up on his severed finger from MR-- etc.) in addition to many signed movie posters (for example the three LOTR films signed by much of the cast and crew). Signage (Theater Marquee, Snack Bar Menu, and Poster Lightbox) was completed by Hollywood Marquees out of Ann Arbor, Michigan (www.hollywoodmarquees.com). They are a wonderful firm to work with and had some absolutely wonderful ideas for the signage throughout the basement which kept to our Sci-Fi/Fantasy theme. 8250theaterworks in the Denver, Colorado area (www.8250theaterworks.com) has handled the project from the start and the owner (Ken Davis) is a really great guy to work with as well as coming up with some killer ideas for our project. He is the man! BTW, our theater name is "The Rubicon Theater," and will have a black and dark purple color scheme to it.

If I do get the pics posted soon, it will be of the before/after pictures and unfortunately the finished product has yet to come to fruition. When it's all done it should look pretty cool. My wife and I have waited about 15 years for a dedicated theater so it is great that dream is finally coming to reality.

Cheers,
Jeff

post #46 of 761 Old 01-20-2006, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

I gotta see that wine cellar. I've got a little nook under the stairs that I thought about converting... Any step by step photos?

Jeff
post #47 of 761 Old 01-20-2006, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Jeff when you are all done, you should have a meet. I would love to see you theater in person!

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #48 of 761 Old 01-20-2006, 08:21 AM

BuffBakerGA,

Actually, it is an empty "hole" at the moment as we just ordered the wine racks, wine cellar door, and the WineTemp cooling unit. They should all be installed in about 4 weeks time. The end bottle count for the cellar will be able to hold about 130 bottles as it had to be scaled back by about 50% to accomodate the DVD Display Room where Vader will eventually reside. I like to think of it as going to be a cellar of "quality" not "quantity." Whatever that means! It actually resembles a wine closet -- to be honest -- as it is only about 140 cubic feet...just enough for a small arch, shelf, and wine racks as you look into the cellar and to the sides will be racks where the labels will be showing (I think its called horizontal racking).

Nothing too fancy, but it should be fun nevertheless. :-)

But if you want a really good Wine Cellar tracking program, visit Cellar! at http://www.cellarwinesoftware.com/. It is a fantastic program.

Cheers,
Jeff

post #49 of 761 Old 01-20-2006, 07:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerncom View Post

I would submit my WIP but I can never get my large digital shots to work on AVSforum. I think you are limited in file size and I can never get my shots down in size enough to post (I believe this is the case). If someone wants to clue me in on how to cut a 2 MB picture size down to post here I would love to hear from you!

I recommend the great freeware program from http://www.irfanview.com
Just select Image... Resize.

But if you don't want to install anything new, you can use the Microsoft Paint program (assuming you use Windows)...
Start... Programs... Accessories... Paint

Then open your original image:
File... Open...

Then reduce the image size:
Image... Stretch/Skew... enter a Horizontal and Vertical number of about 25%
(Let's assume you have a 3 megapixel or 4 megapixel camera which probably gives an original image of about 1500x2000... so if you want this to be 480x640, then you'd reduce to around 25%-30%)

Then select the JPG file type:
File.. Save As.. *.JPG

Then upload your attachment to the forum.
Note that in order to see the attachment options, instead of Quick Reply, you'll need to click the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the thread:

Even easier... upload your picture to http://imageshack.us, click the button that says "resize image to 480x640 for message boards", then post the link that they give you...

post #50 of 761 Old 01-21-2006, 10:31 PM

Here's mine.

Visit the 5 Star Cinema
post #51 of 761 Old 01-22-2006, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Certainly not as dramatic as some, but here is mine.

Front Wall:

Rear View:

post #52 of 761 Old 01-22-2006, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA View Post

Dabreeze: The projector is a H77, the screen is a Behr ultra pure white (for now, still working on it) and the audio is a Yamaha RXV-2500 with Paradigms (Monitor 7 towers, CC350, ADP350, and mini-monitors for the presence speakers (pictured over the towers)...

Clarence: 5 coats of stain... Holy hell, and I thought 2 coats was bad. I now see that its not a faux finish. Thats great looking wall material. I like the integration of the material into the chairs.

Chinadog: It's actually a piece of bullnosed oak. If you go look in the stair tread and handrail section at home depot they have full pieces of oak that already bullnosed and have the notch cut out. You simply set it on your riser, glue it, and nail it til the glue dries. It really made the riser stick out and not look like a block of carpet. Getting the rows of dots to line up horizontally and vertically was the hard part. Thank god I didn't do the carpet The wood is not that red and neither are the walls...

Art: I bet you really had to dig for some unfinished basement pics since you've built 2 HT rooms since then. I still remember your crush velvet purple pit

Aren't stair treads only about 42" to 48" long?
Did you have to use at least 2 pieces on each side to complete it? And how did you hide the seams?
Thanks

Mike
post #53 of 761 Old 01-22-2006, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

The 2 different Home Depots that I go to (Cumming and Buford, GA) had bullnosed oak in 12' boards so I bought a 10' and a pair of 8' for the sides. Then we just mitered the corners at a 45* so the seams on in the corners.

You could very easily make your own piece by taking a 1"x 6" board and routing a bullnose pattern and then rip the rest of the material off with a couple of passes.

post #54 of 761 Old 01-25-2006, 12:24 PM

Buff -

Very nice looking theater. The wood gives it a beautiful rich look. I'm in the proces of doing something very similiar (just framing up around the screen right now). Do you happen to have any construction pics?

Thanks.
Bill
post #55 of 761 Old 01-27-2006, 03:56 PM

I am in the process of posting my before and during pics, and I will let you know when the site becomes live.

Cheers,
Jeff

post #56 of 761 Old 01-27-2006, 03:57 PM

I am in the process of posting my before and during pics (not quite up to the "after" part yet), and I will let you know when the site becomes live.

Cheers,
Jeff

post #57 of 761 Old 01-27-2006, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerncom View Post

I am in the process of posting my before and during pics (not quite up to the "after" part yet), and I will let you know when the site becomes live.

Can't wait!

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #58 of 761 Old 01-27-2006, 07:51 PM

Wow very impressive guys... jaw droping

"Everything that can be invented has already been invented." Dewey S Walch, Director US patent office 1899
post #59 of 761 Old 01-28-2006, 04:42 AM

I love the color scheme you have could you give me a breakdown of what each color is called?
The walls? top and bottom
The stain? type of wood? is it covered in laquer?????
Color of the tile?
rug design? color?
My wife wants a replica of yours in my basement and I cant argur it looks awesome. Please help
post #60 of 761 Old 01-28-2006, 02:07 PM

Ok, if you want to see some before and during pics of "The Rubicon Theater" project, please go to http://jeffandmary.smugmug.com/. We are about three weeks away from project completion. Actually, the electrician and our HT designer/installer are in the basement as I type this working away on a Saturday. I hope you all enjoy and you like what you see so far.

Cheers,
Jeff

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page