AVS Forum banner

Show your Before and After pics...

774K views 894 replies 386 participants last post by  videoagogo 
#1 ·
I was amazed at my before and after pics. It's still not 100% finished but it just blows my mind at what it use to look like a year ago... Anyone else?

HT room looking into Bar: Before...

After...

Bar looking into HT: Before...

After...

Proscenium: Before...

After...

See less See more
#478 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 /forum/post/17437992

And the After pics.

Fabulous.

Although such a great room is just screaming for a big screen ...

#479 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian /forum/post/17440163

Fabulous.

Although such a great room is just screaming for a big screen ...

Thank you....and I agree. I plan on going front projector with around 120" or so CIH screen around Jan.-Feb. First I need to finish some touch up painting and build a riser for the rear seats.

I've had so much fun with this room, I can't wait to go big screen.

#480 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 /forum/post/17440728

Thank you....and I agree. I plan on going front projector with around 120" or so CIH screen around Jan.-Feb. First I need to finish some touch up painting and build a riser for the rear seats.

I've had so much fun with this room, I can't wait to go big screen.

Great minds think alike. And sometimes so does mine.

So where is your build thread? You with the CIA or something??

#481 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian /forum/post/17441000

Great minds think alike. And sometimes so does mine.

So where is your build thread? You with the CIA or something??

I didn't do a build thread, I thought about it but I decided since my room was more of a conversion than a build and my really small budget nobody would be interested in it.

I didn't realize how bad some of those pics were when I posted them, I took some new ones last night that are more clear and brighter. I'll post them later this evening when I get home.

#482 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 /forum/post/17447813

I didn't do a build thread, I thought about it but I decided since my room was more of a conversion than a build and my really small budget nobody would be interested in it.

Empowered as I am to speak on behalf of everyone here at AVS forum ... you thought wrong!

If I can throw up a build thread, anyone can. Trust me.

Never too late, if you've got some photos of the process - lots of folks do their thread after they've finished. A room like that, you're being selfish not sharing with us rabble!

#487 ·
Looks great! May I ask: who makes your cool down-front (beanbag?) seats?

#488 ·
Thanks, my wife picked those out. She ordered them from Amazon, they currently are $39 per seat, but we got them for $20 a piece back during the summer . They are called Ace Bayou Video Bag 6Cu L Shaped Bean Bag and come in a wide variety of colors. The black matches the Berkline black pretty well. Great for the kids and really expand the seating in the theater.

#489 ·
>

Are they comfortable for the kids? Or do they look better than the feel?

#490 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamdog /forum/post/17465213

Hey Buff...Actually I think your theatre is still one of the best in this thread. I think I read that you don't have that home anymore. Do you have another that your working on?

I took many of my ideas from Buff's room. Shame he lost it

#494 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinger23 /forum/post/17489141

I took many of my ideas from Buff's room. Shame he lost it
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamdog /forum/post/17465213

Hey Buff...Actually I think your theatre is still one of the best in this thread. I think I read that you don't have that home anymore. Do you have another that your working on?

Thanks guys... Yeah, had to sell the house in the divorce and I currently live in a house on a slab :-(. But I got everything that was in the basement except the theater chairs and the projector. I'm still using the Paradigms/Yamaha/Panasonic/Black leather couch/recliner but no 110" screen... Just a 65". I already know what I would do differently so within time, like a phoenix, I will rise from the ashes. The girlfriend and I are talking marriage/moving/blending families and she wants a basement with a home theater... Soooooooo, stay tuned.

#495 ·
Theater before:

Theater after:

Don't have any pictures of the bar area from before, but I'm sure you can imagine some wood stud walls.

Bar after:

CJ

#497 ·
I have to admit, I am struck by how many of these builds don't seem to have any Acoustical Treaments. Many do, I know, and can see, but so many don't. I thought this would be a great place for some data on how others are placing their treaments.

#498 ·
Thanks, Frank!

hifibitn- I know that it doesn't show in the picture, but I have bass trapping behind the screen wall, the soffits are stuffed with insulation and covered with acoustically transparent fabric so that they act like bass traps, and the columns are filled with a combination of hard and soft insulation. If needed, I plan on adding more acoustic treatments, but I need some time to do some frequency measurements first.

CJ

#499 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO /forum/post/17509921

I know that it doesn't show in the picture, but I have bass trapping behind the screen wall, the soffits are stuffed with insulation and covered with acoustically transparent fabric so that they act like bass traps, and the columns are filled with a combination of hard and soft insulation. If needed, I plan on adding more acoustic treatments, but I need some time to do some frequency measurements first.

...and that's the way it is with many (if not most) of the HT's that are done that well. Typically a lot of thought goes into the acoustics because the owner has to marry form and function pretty seamlessly. Most of the time in my experience it's just like CJ said...you may have to add a bass trap or two here and there to smooth things out.

Frank

#500 ·
I promise not to go on too long and risk thread hijack, but, I am struggling a bit to understand the difference between Sound Isolation (which I think of as keeping sound in) and Sound Management (which I think of as taming undesireable acoustic conditions within the room). Sound Isolation is not an issue for me. I am more concerned with taming undesireable issues (ringing, vocal clarity, etc.) I would assume this is the goal of many other folks here who are essentially building custom HT/Game rooms so it was just striking to see so many HT with little or no acoustic paneling. Bass trapping I agree is harder to see (or easier to hide, usually stuffed into a corner or soffit) but Mid and High range acoustical management is (normally?) much more apparent.

BTW: Reviewing the various panel makers/installers offers little information as well, either specifically or anecdotally (e.g., pictures of installs) as most of the time the panels are on the wall in a standard grid or in a way that seems to offer little more than making acoustical treaments look more like wall art. So, I am left with plowing through the 180+ pages of the Acoustical Treatments thread or using the simple basics of Mirror on wall +1-2' L/R/U/D and a few other panels smattered in other possible positions (e.g., behind LRC as well as seating postion to address echo/rining). Of course I could just spend 2x the money and hire someone who will spend 2x more than I would have... the question is: is 4x the money going to get me that much more than what I would have spent using my much less scientific methods...? I fear I am becoming another case study for the "what I should have done" thread.

@CJO - BTW your build thread is very good at trying to pull info together for other folks to use as some sort of a reference. Thank you for taking the time to maintain/compile the summary in your OP vs. forcing the reader to scan dozens and sometimes hundreds of pages.

#501 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifibitn /forum/post/17515217

BTW: Reviewing the various panel makers/installers offers little information as well, either specifically or anecdotally (e.g., pictures of installs) as most of the time the panels are on the wall in a standard grid or in a way that seems to offer little more than making acoustical treaments look more like wall art. So, I am left with plowing through the 180+ pages of the Acoustical Treatments thread or using the simple basics of Mirror on wall +1-2' L/R/U/D and a few other panels smattered in other possible positions (e.g., behind LRC as well as seating postion to address echo/rining). Of course I could just spend 2x the money and hire someone who will spend 2x more than I would have... the question is: is 4x the money going to get me that much more than what I would have spent using my much less scientific methods...? I fear I am becoming another case study for the "what I should have done" thread.

What specifically do you want to know?

Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.