Show your Before and After pics... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #91 of 765 Old 02-14-2006, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Bud, we made made the doors too. I responded to your blazing ridge post. I'll get some pictures soon.

Clarence: A 2' base would still be pretty good as long as you fired some nails into the concrete with a nail driver and maybe some screws into the riser. But then again, I dunno, your tazmanian devils might find a way to move it. "Off the top rope with a power bomb..."

Heynow: Yes, ended up dumping the idea for a step. After the 090 chairs were fitted, I decided that the stair wasn't needed. I thought about putting one on the outside but more people would trip over it than use it. Although, I do have power ran to the riser and could light it up but the only person that has trouble stepping up is my 1 year old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 765 Old 02-14-2006, 04:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA View Post

Clarence: A 2' base would still be pretty good as long as you fired some nails into the concrete with a nail driver and maybe some screws into the riser. But then again, I dunno, your tazmanian devils might find a way to move it. "Off the top rope with a power bomb..."

My inspector advised me that if the bar was nailed to the floor, then it would be considered a half-wall and would thus require electrical receptacles in accordance with code spacing .

So I carpeted underneath (which I planned on doing anyways in case I want to move my riser and bar forward or backwards a few feet, thus my bar will be "furniture", not permanent.

As long as it looks half as good as yours I'll be happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 765 Old 02-14-2006, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I'd just like to say the original theater is simply incredible. And so are many of the others. If any of you did these yourself, I am impressed..........WOW!

Verizon FIOS (Norfolk County, MA)
Samsung 43" DLP display
Yamaha HTR-5730 surround system
Playstation 3
post #94 of 765 Old 02-15-2006, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Jeff, Try Fotki.com. You can only link tp them from your thread for the free version, imbed photos in your thread for the pay version.Bud

Thanks Bud... Here they are: http://public.fotki.com/jeffbaker24/

I seem to be having technical difficulty with the fotki...

post #95 of 765 Old 02-15-2006, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Jeff,

Can see you have Fotki, but not seeing any albums?? When I click on the link, getting a permission denied. Did you password protect it? You may have to validate the account, they probably sent you an email.

EDIT: They're up now!

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #96 of 765 Old 02-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

I just updated by theater pictures website to show what the room looked like before we started anything.

http://www.xy.tv/reedl/

Reedl

Check out my theater!

Here is the Arcade:
post #97 of 765 Old 02-18-2006, 08:31 PM

Reedl, I am in awe of your arcade collection, it's amazing!

post #98 of 765 Old 02-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you Jason. It was years of collecting to amass a collection like I have. That and some luck too. Some of the games were pure "steals".

I enjoy both playing them and fixing them.

Reedl

Check out my theater!

Here is the Arcade:
post #99 of 765 Old 02-19-2006, 04:40 AM

Nice theater!!!!!! How close is your front row????? looks pretty close to me. I love hte couches you have there, what kind are there? whered ya get them? and $$$
post #100 of 765 Old 02-27-2006, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Bar: Before... http://public.fotki.com/jeffbaker24/.../img_1292.html

Bar: Now... http://public.fotki.com/jeffbaker24/.../img_2736.html

post #101 of 765 Old 02-27-2006, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hey Buff,

I love the black granite tiles. Exactly what I would love to do, vice having to buy so much in a minimum order. Lots of open space. I love it! You should be very proud.

Very nice, elegant job!

Randy

post #102 of 765 Old 02-27-2006, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone ever got a quote for granite countertops?

HD wanted $65 a square foot compared to one 12x12 granite tile was $6.50... That means I could screw up the tile job up 9 times and still come out ahead. We found a tile place down in Atlanta that you could buy by the box (10 tiles) or per tile...

post #103 of 765 Old 02-27-2006, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Yeah, but granite countertop is alot thicker and it comes in slabs, not 12x12 tiles. Still not worth the cost, but that's how it goes. My wife and I are putting granite in our kitchen right now and it ain't cheap!

Jerrod

psn: shookjer
post #104 of 765 Old 02-28-2006, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Currently, we have corian in our kitchen. I would love to put granite in a kitchen because you use it everyday and it looks great. But for a basement that gets used maybe once a weekend, it just didn't make a sense to spend the extra money. The only thing I don't like about the tile is the gray grout lines. We used black sandless ground and it still looks gray. I've got to get some grout enhancer and maybe that will darken it up...

post #105 of 765 Old 02-28-2006, 05:32 PM

Along the same lines of laying the tile. Did you lay the tile on the floor? I am thinking fo doing that myself as well? Is it easy??????
post #106 of 765 Old 03-01-2006, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA View Post

Currently, we have corian in our kitchen. I would love to put granite in a kitchen because you use it everyday and it looks great. But for a basement that gets used maybe once a weekend, it just didn't make a sense to spend the extra money. The only thing I don't like about the tile is the gray grout lines. We used black sandless ground and it still looks gray. I've got to get some grout enhancer and maybe that will darken it up...

Go with the Granite squares. I bought a house about 6 years ago and installed $200 worth of the 12x12 tiles for my counter top in the kitchen. This is what i did:

1) 3/4" plywood screwed down to top of cabinets.
2) apply thin layer of grout
3) lay down tiles and get them a quarter of an inch apart
4) apply thin line of Silicon caulk in the quarter inch gap.
5) press together and hold
6) continue to next tile

Some of the silicone will squeeze out of the gap when you push the tile togther. Thats ok just come back a day later with a razor blade to clean it up very easily.

Looks great and was a major selling point when we sold the house.
post #107 of 765 Old 03-01-2006, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you mean you put down a layer of ADHESIVE not grout? So what I'm hearing you say is that you did not use any grout between the joints? It's just silicone squeezed out? How much of a gap between tiles did you end up with? Was it clear silicone? This is very interesting. I don't want any gap at all if I can get away with it. Any failures?

Randy

post #108 of 765 Old 03-01-2006, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManTown2 View Post

Along the same lines of laying the tile. Did you lay the tile on the floor? I am thinking fo doing that myself as well? Is it easy??????

Yes, my tile buddy got me started with a layout and I finished it up. I didn't do any difficult patterns or angles because the room was 15ft wide and it just made sense to go straight across with 15 tiles... Nice, easy, and symmetrical.

For the back splash and/or vertical surfaces, we use an adhesive mastic which is very thick and somewhat more difficult to work with than plaster. I thought the tiles would fall of the wall but in fact it was difficult to pull them up if I needed to reset one or two. For the most part, plaster is used for horizontal surfaces like floors and countertops and the mastic is used on the vertical surfaces like showers and backsplashes. Sanded grout was used to fill in the joints on the floors with quarter inch joints or larger. But, on the granite, we used a non-sanded black grout to fill the joints because the joints were only 1/16 of an inch and it's pretty tolerant to spills and water. Silicone was used the corners where the tile met the wood...

Hope this helps.

post #109 of 765 Old 03-01-2006, 07:45 AM

I put down a thin layer of grout onto the plywood. I used black silicone in a caulk gun. The gap is probably 1/8 of an inch after your done but with the black silicone it looks much more seemless. I will see if i can get some pictures and post them for you. No after six years (we just moved last week) they still looked as good as the day i put 'em down.
post #110 of 765 Old 03-01-2006, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Grout under the tiles. Interesting. Where did you get your tiles?

Randy

post #111 of 765 Old 03-01-2006, 07:54 AM

A place here in Chattanooga Tn called 'Souteastern Salvage". $4.99/sq ft and now they sell it for 6.49/sq ft. Who knew granite tile appreciated!
post #112 of 765 Old 03-01-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ScoutNGa View Post

Go with the Granite squares. I bought a house about 6 years ago and installed $200 worth of the 12x12 tiles for my counter top in the kitchen. This is what i did:

1) 3/4" plywood screwed down to top of cabinets.
2) apply thin layer of grout
3) lay down tiles and get them a quarter of an inch apart
4) apply thin line of Silicon caulk in the quarter inch gap.
5) press together and hold
6) continue to next tile

Some of the silicone will squeeze out of the gap when you push the tile togther. Thats ok just come back a day later with a razor blade to clean it up very easily.

Looks great and was a major selling point when we sold the house.

Great Idea! Just a few questions as I have never dealt with granite before.

1. Are the granite tiles just as easy to cut as ceramic tiles? Do you just use an electric tile cutter?
2. Do they make surround pieces for around the sink or do you have to use a drop-in sink that sets on the granite? My sink is currently recessed with ceramic tile around and I like the recessed look.
3. Does the black silicon Caulk you used harden, or does it keep it's elasticity?
4. Is the Caulk easily cleaned?

Sorry for all the questions, but I would love to do my kithen counters in Granite, and this seems like a great way to do it and save lots of $$.
post #113 of 765 Old 03-04-2006, 07:29 AM

If you're looking for granite, try the yellow pages instead of Home Depot. I got my kitchen coutertops for $38/sqft installed. Still not cheap, but almost half of what HD charges.

For the basement bar, I will definitly do granite or marble tiles.
post #114 of 765 Old 03-06-2006, 03:43 AM
J

Liked: 11
Try to find a place that sells remnants. We did that in the bathrooms when we had our house built. They sold it for around $20 a foot .Cutting hole for under mount sink($100) and edging was extra. Alot cheaper than the $60 + a foot for the kitchen.

John

Samsung 55 inch lcd
Marantz sr5400
Parasound HCA 1500
Parasound HCA 1000
JTR OS LFU
Paradigm studio 40's -fronts
Paradigm CC
Paradigm atoms -rear
post #115 of 765 Old 03-06-2006, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We used Atlanta In-Town Granite after calling several references of theirs. We we happy with everything and refered them to a friend who was also very happy. $39 sq/ft. I live in Buford, GA...just down the road from buffbakerga....although we have never met.

You can google their name for their site.

I am new to posting...please be kind.
post #116 of 765 Old 03-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

The front row is 14 feet from the screen, and the back row is 18 or so feet from the screen.

The chairs came from a place here in Mass called Jordan's Furniture. They are from a company called Klaussner.

http://www.klaussner.com/products/s...hp?cid=1&scid=5

and then pick "Sect.-Hollywood" to see them.

The chairs are somewhere around $400/ea, and the chaise is the same price.
The arms are much less, somewhere around $100/ea
The stuff is totally modular so you can put arms between chairs, or no arms like I have.

Reedl

Check out my theater!

Here is the Arcade:
post #117 of 765 Old 03-06-2006, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hello my fellow Buforidian. This spring I may have a local meet-n-greet so stay tuned...

Come on, somebody throw up some pictures... Show us what you got so far. I haven't worked on my basement since the Super Bowl so I need a little motivation.

post #118 of 765 Old 03-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Holy crap you guys (and gals?) are good! I've got a theatre in my home, but I won't be there long enough to do the major overhaul. I'm already saving money to finish the basement in my next place.

All the theatres look amazing. The Bridge is very creative. Lots of ideas to think about...gotta love it when creative people share ideas.

Has anyone tackled a fiber optic ceiling? If so...I'd love to see some before and after pictures.

I'm confused too.

post #119 of 765 Old 03-07-2006, 11:42 AM

I'm also up here in Buford. Just moved to GA about a year ago. In the process of finishing my basement and, of course, putting in my long-awaited theater. I started in October and I'm in the middle of mudding and taping my drywall. Mudding and taping seems like an eternal process. I'm hoping by the first part of April, I'll be able to start painting and putting up the molding.

Posting pictures of my theater in this thead probably wouldn't be appropriate since I'm still a long ways from the "After". Right now somewhere in the middle between "before" and "after".

Bill
post #120 of 765 Old 03-10-2006, 06:43 PM

Hey everyone, I have just finished updating my pics for my "Rubicon Theater" project. I'm almost at the end of the project with just a couple more things to have done. It's really taken shape over the last week or so and I hope you enjoy the pics. I will post more as they become available as the project wraps up here pretty soon.

Please visit http://jeffandmary.smugmug.com to see what all of this looks like. Thanks.

Cheers,
Jeff

You stay classy, Planet Earth!

The Rubicon Theater and basement project:

Home Theater by 8250theaterworks:
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page