AVS Forum banner

Show your Before and After pics...

774K views 894 replies 386 participants last post by  videoagogo 
#1 ·
I was amazed at my before and after pics. It's still not 100% finished but it just blows my mind at what it use to look like a year ago... Anyone else?

HT room looking into Bar: Before...

After...

Bar looking into HT: Before...

After...

Proscenium: Before...

After...

See less See more
#4 ·
The bar/game room is 15x26 and the HT room is 15x24. For a 110" screen, the first row of Berks (088) viewing position is right at 12' and the second row of 090s is right at 18' or 19'...

Here's a pano that I finally got to line up correctly...

Anyone have some photos of before and after?

#6 ·
Buff, your home theater is remarkable! Hopefully one day I'll be able to create an HT to somewhat compete with that. You asked for other people's before and after pictures, so here are mine, although they are definitely in an amateur class compared to you.

The Poor Man's Theater:

Before-

After-

Before-

After-

Please be gentle with any criticism :) This was two years ago, and my budget was only $300 (not counting the $700 spent on the projector). I was renting the house from a friend so I didn't want to invest too much money knowing I was buying a house in the forseeable future.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSmith /forum/post/0

Buff, your home theater is remarkable! Hopefully one day I'll be able to create an HT to somewhat compete with that. You asked for other people's before and after pictures, so here are mine, although they are definitely in an amateur class compared to you.

The Poor Man's Theater:

Before-

After-

Before-

After-

Please be gentle with any criticism :) This was two years ago, and my budget was only $300 (not counting the $700 spent on the projector). I was renting the house from a friend so I didn't want to invest too much money knowing I was buying a house in the forseeable future.

no pics appear below your headings, my browser or link problem ?

#10 ·
#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA /forum/post/0

The bar/game room is 15x26 and the HT room is 15x24. For a 110" screen, the first row of Berks (088) viewing position is right at 12' and the second row of 090s is right at 18' or 19'...

Here's a pano that I finally got to line up correctly...

Anyone have some photos of before and after?

So cool ! Just a great looking inviting facility ,congrats.

Art

#16 ·
Buff,

Beautiful work! I will have a similarly designed room soon (assuming the building permit ever gets approved-- three months and counting). I have an existing 18' x 15' pool table/bar area and am adding a 25' x 15' HT addition. The HT will butt up against the existing room with the left HT wall partially open like yours. Here's my question, how are the acoustics with one wall open? Did you do something special to get proper balance, etc.?

Doug

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 /forum/post/0

I absolutely love your room! I am wanting to do something similar to that as well, but with a darker carpet. What kind of equipment are you using?

Thanks! I actually wanted to do a darker carpet in the room, too. But there were many factors that did not allow me to do this. Mainly because my house is very open and there is no real way to redo the carpet without it clashing horrendously with the stuff I have upstairs. There are no doors for going into the basement and an open area to look down to the basement from the hallway, so everything is open for one to see.

As for the equipment, here it is:

BenQ8700+ DLP projector

Carada 110" Brilliant white screen

Paradigm Studio 100 v2s

Paradigm Studio CC v2

Paradigm Studio ADP450 v2

Paradigm Studio 20 v2

Sunfire Solitaire 10 True EQ sub

Denon AVR 3803

B&K Reference 200.7 (200x7) amp

Denon DVD 3910

Sony 300 disc CD changer

Dish Network 811 HD satellite tuner

Geffen DVI switcher

JVC tape deck

Xbox

PS2

server computer w/ bluetooth key board and mouse

Adcom power filter

X10 IR receiver for for controlling lighting

and finally..... Logitech Harmony 880 remote

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nitwit /forum/post/0

Thanks! I actually wanted to do a darker carpet in the room, too. But there were many factors that did not allow me to do this. Mainly because my house is very open and there is no real way to redo the carpet without it clashing horrendously with the stuff I have upstairs. There are no doors for going into the basement and an open area to look down to the basement from the hallway, so everything is open for one to see.

I love your room as well and was also looking for a little more info...

What are the dimensions of the room? And how of the theater is open to the hallway? It looks quite dark in the screen area... Do you have a problem with light and sound control with that openness?

I keep flipping back and forth between an open rear wall in my theater and closing it up. Coming in here keeps convincing me to close it up tight though I think that the openness will serve my family better...

Great job. BuffBaker's theater is truly stunning as well and the first time I have pictures of that space finished. What a great thread...

#21 ·
Thanks for the positive support... Let me just say that the wife had absolutely no idea it was going to turn out this nice and she was shocked that I was able to made all of the decisions without her
I hope she doesn't expect this with all of my projects...

Chinadog: You'll be finished before you know it. (I've been following your progress on your thread) Keep hacking at it...

JasonSmith: I love how you decided to painted the blocks. It has that "back office of the Sopranos" look to it.

David: I'll have to check with Congress/Wife
Right now I'm just trying to get it 100% completed before the SuperBowl...

Clarence: Very nice. Did you faux the walls or is that wallpaper? I see you went the stain route as well. This was my first time working with this much stain and the only thing that I didn't like about it was that I had to do 2 coats and we had to have perfect cuts...

Nitwit: I like your colors. I like how you decided to keep the closet and make it into a rack rather than rip it out. Way to make an existing room work. How do you like the Paradigms? I've got the monitor set and love it...

Bucsroom: The acoustics are great. Once the carpet and chairs went in it really quieted the room. I was worried about the sound as well but the Yamaha's auto calibrating (YPAO) system takes care of most of it. The open route was the best route because will entertaining, it keeps all the guests in the same area so everybody feels included. After New Years, our neighborhood club house party ended a 1am so every one decided to head up to my house. We put in a live concert dvd and some watched, some threw darts, and some just keep on drinking. They didn't leave to 4:30am...

Keep the pictures coming. Hopefully these pictures will help some people who are on the fence with their own designs and layouts...

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA /forum/post/0

Nitwit: I like your colors. I like how you decided to keep the closet and make it into a rack rather than rip it out. Way to make an existing room work. How do you like the Paradigms? I've got the monitor set and love it...

Thanks! I wish I could have come away with a design as nice as yours, but the budget was eaten up mostly by the equipment.

Unfortunately I had to leave the closet there, because of a sump pit and all the plumbing for that. If I could have gotten away with it, the closet would have been gone and the audio rack would have been built into the right wall, which is the HVAC room. Then I could have gone with a bigger screen

I love the Paradigms. I tested the speakers in store, but I found someone on another forum selling the 100, CC and 20s (only a month used). I got one hell of a deal for all 5. Later I found out the same guy was selling his other speakers he bought to replace the paradigms and he was joking he wanted his old ones back, because he blew it and got rid of his best speakers. And once I picked up some ADP450s off ebay, I completed the set. I won't replace these anytime soon

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRabbit0 /forum/post/0

I love your room as well and was also looking for a little more info...

What are the dimensions of the room? And how of the theater is open to the hallway? It looks quite dark in the screen area... Do you have a problem with light and sound control with that openness?

I keep flipping back and forth between an open rear wall in my theater and closing it up. Coming in here keeps convincing me to close it up tight though I think that the openness will serve my family better...

My theater is 15'x26'. It's quite deep. I still have plenty of room to do a bar table, like BuffBakerGA (I love that idea). No problem with light and sound control. Here are a few pics to get a better perspective of the theater and the issue with openess. The openess of the area limited me to the carpet type than light control. Here are a few pics to give you an idea.

The back of the theater (ignore the stuff on the floor). It is all put away. Also all those remotes are now gone. The small window in the back has been blocked up with a felt covered sheet of plywood with a handle, which is behind the velvet red curtains

Here is one way to deal with the light issue if a lot of light does try to come down the steps. If need be, the curtains can be closed.

And here is how the stairway is open.

And a view of the stairs and openess from the first floor (just before I moved in).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.