My Theater Bar - Heynow^'s Version - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 556 Old 01-28-2008, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
KPECOD - I used flooring planks for my bar top (just like you and Randy) but I didn't seal the gaps before applying the Envirotex. I would recommend it though because even though the Envirotex is thick stuff (much thicker than Poly), it WILL run through any gaps you have in your countertop. I can very much attest to that. You definitely want to seal the planks and poly might be a good idea for that, but you'll probably have to do several coats of that for just the same reason.

As for the blowtorch, that is what the Envirotex instructions actually recommend. Not having a blow torch, I used a hair dryer to decent effect but found that actually blowing on the surface works better. There really is something about the carbon dioxide that makes those bubbles surface and pop. Unfortunately, if you have a large bar area (like I did), that involves a LOT of blowing. I literally got light-headed many times when I did mine. A blow torch would be a good idea.

Btw, here is my thread on my bar build. You can see some of the pics of the countertop there:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=891879

And here is Neuner's thread specifically about coating a bar top with envirotex.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=818487
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 556 Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 AM

Liked: 10
HeyNow,

The starfield ceiling looks good. Actually, everything looks good. Well done. Now have a beer.

John

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #273 of 556 Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Thanks John.....tweaking the star field.....

Randy

post #274 of 556 Old 01-28-2008, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

Beautiful house and property!!!

post #275 of 556 Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks RobZ.

Minor update, the Envirotex is getting delivered today via UPS. I plan on applying it to a table top I made for the wife next to her theater chair I will also apply to my bar top. I'm going to wait a bit until things warm up. My understanding is that it sets up if the temps are consistantly above 70 degrees. I'm looking forward to the pour. It should go pretty easy, my gaps are already filled. Irmo and Nuener's looks awesome. I think I paid $54 for the one gallon kit. It should cover 32 sq. feet. I don't have that much to cover, but I figure a couple of coats will use most of it up. Not bad. Wish me luck!

Randy

post #276 of 556 Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like you're all set. I think you'll really like the results.

Good luck!
post #277 of 556 Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Anxious to see the results.

Remember, it's the CO2 that eliminates the bubbles not the heat. I used a blow torch held 12-inches from the surface and it worked great. Blowing on it gets you way too dizzy.

I still have some oil ring looking marks which you can only see with the glare which I think came from holding the torch too close so be careful.

post #278 of 556 Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Guys...I have been scouring your threads on the procedures that you both used. Along with the great instructions that the company provides, it should go smoothly. I just hope it turns out half as good as both of your tops.

Randy

post #279 of 556 Old 02-13-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

I still have some oil ring looking marks which you can only see with the glare which I think came from holding the torch too close so be careful.

Neuner,

I also have the same oil ring marks on my bar that you can only see with the glare. The difference is I didnt use a torch. I wish I would have because i couldnt blow on the bar top without the nearly passing out. I used a blow dryer but that didnt work very well. I do have some very small bubbles that can only be seen by looking closely, but I still love the envirotex.
post #280 of 556 Old 02-13-2008, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank3467 View Post

Neuner,

I also have the same oil ring marks on my bar that you can only see with the glare. The difference is I didnt use a torch.

With more people using this product I think we need to find out what is the causing the marks. If I ever get some free time I'll try and call the company to find out. I do notice that the top is just slightly rougher where the marks are but it's so minute. I applied a car wax to the top and it actually helped it a little bit, plus it's cool being able to slide a beer glass the full length of the bar like in the movies . Right now I'm guessing it might be from later popped bubbles leaving a little bit of roughness.

post #281 of 556 Old 02-16-2008, 09:27 PM

How do you have your helmets secured to the side? I have a large collection and Ive outgrown the storage area. Thanks
post #282 of 556 Old 02-17-2008, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FootballDen,

Simple. "L" shaped hooks screwed into the stud. Then hang through the ear hole in the helmet. Cheap and simple.

Let's see some pics of your collection!

Randy

post #283 of 556 Old 02-17-2008, 03:33 PM

Id love to show off my theater but i cant figure out how to post pictures, Im a mental midget when it comes to this stuff. I just built a giant ottoman/slash couch on my riser. I added a ton of eagle stuff that is signed when i went on a nice poker run in dec/jan
post #284 of 556 Old 02-28-2008, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My wife wanted a table beside her chair. I had some decent plywood left over from another project and a few 2X3's. I cut the top and bottom to match. Used veneer tape around the plywood edge. I screwed the 2X3s in various places leaving a rather deep lip. Here is where it get's weird. I stuffed the inside of the 2X3's with OC 703. I then took some black Celtic cloth and steached it around the 2X3s. I then tacked and stained oak strips from top to bottom over the 2X3s and celtic cloth, enviorntexed the top and that was it. Cheap if you have the extra wood and other parts. I'll post a couple of pics tonight. And it absorbs some low frequencies to boot.

Edit, Hope this gives you some ideas;

you can see where the 2X3s are screwed to the top

with the top on

Randy

post #285 of 556 Old 02-28-2008, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
That looks great!

John
post #286 of 556 Old 02-28-2008, 05:54 PM

thnaks for the idea, hey where do you get your helmets at and do you get them cheaper tehn usual? I have 5 full sized ones, south carolina and 4 hs ones from the area. Im not too big on pro but would like to get an eagles helmet for cheap
post #287 of 556 Old 02-29-2008, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I get all of my helmets/footballs at http://www.creativesportsent.com/

I like doing business with them. Bud mentioned FleaBay but I haven't tried there. Now, I'm not sure if it's the cheapest place, but I have all of them now, except the updated ones (Atlanta/SanDiego/Vikings). I am satisfied with what I have for now.

Randy

post #288 of 556 Old 02-29-2008, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballDen View Post

thnaks for the idea, hey where do you get your helmets at and do you get them cheaper tehn usual? I have 5 full sized ones, south carolina and 4 hs ones from the area. Im not too big on pro but would like to get an eagles helmet for cheap

Hello from one USC fan to another...I'm pretty much a regular in HeyNow's threads.
post #289 of 556 Old 02-29-2008, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Hello from one USC fan to another...I'm pretty much a regular in HeyNow's threads.

Yeah, IRMO is one of my Enviortex consultants...

Randy

post #290 of 556 Old 02-29-2008, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Randy, table looks great. Is it acoustically transparent? Did you really stuff it with insulation?

I'm actually still in search of a good table that would pop into the cupholder in the Berks. I have found a really nice one (actually at work), but it's part of some mobile work furniture line. Well made, but I haven't found any pricing on it yet. I have a few leads there I just need to track down.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #291 of 556 Old 02-29-2008, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah, see your making progress on that column too. What are your plans for that?

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #292 of 556 Old 02-29-2008, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

Yeah, IRMO is one of my Enviortex consultants...

Only in exchange for being my bar-build consultant. It's like an AVS barter system.
post #293 of 556 Old 02-29-2008, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good morning Bud,

Yeah...it's stuffed with one 2X4 peice of OC 703. And the materiel is AT. If you stand anywhere near it you can tell it's there. The wife used to use a fold up tv tray table. I had one of those days that no matter what I was buidling in the theater it just didn't seem to be going right. I needed to make something, regardless of how simple it was, way out in left field to energize my creative juices. So in about an hour, I knocked this thing out. I figured if it sucked, I could make an nice bon fire with it this summer.

The wife loves it. And I got to test out my enviortex pour prior to using it on my bar top.

I have surrounded the Pole with 2X8s and drilled access holes for speaker wire. I have my side surround for my 7.1 speakers installed. I am going to skin it with MDF and oak veneer and then trim it out.

On the cupholder thingy...I have SS cup inserts that slide into the plastic cupholders installed in my 090s. They are about 3.5- 4 inches deep, maybe more. I was thinking that I could make a thin lightweight table, cut a hole large enough for the SS insert and then put the insert with the table attached back into the chair....maybe it would work.

Randy

post #294 of 556 Old 02-29-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Randy,

I thought about making a table insert just as you described, was thinking about filling the mounted cup with something to give it more stability and weight, like BBs or ball bearings or something. That would help with tipping if there are any gaps in the cup holder or if someone accidentally stood up while the tablr was in place, it woudn't just fly off. Still chewing on that idea, also a little bit easier and time consuming than doing a star ceiling.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #295 of 556 Old 03-01-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Randy - I finally got a chance to see your table pic above (it was blocked the last time I was in this thread). Nice work!
post #296 of 556 Old 03-01-2008, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks IRMO...Don't you hate those work blockers that won't let you see Photobucket? I really enjoyed the short pour of the Envirotex. I learned a couple of things, like don't use a foam brush....I think it left some foam behind. level what ever it is you are pouring on, before you start to pour.

Randy

post #297 of 556 Old 03-01-2008, 05:21 PM

I played for them in the early 90s, good times down there. 5 points on a thursday night was a blast, the old **** pit and PUGS II on a Saturday Night. Wow good times!
post #298 of 556 Old 03-02-2008, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballDen View Post

I played for them in the early 90s, good times down there. 5 points on a thursday night was a blast, the old **** pit and PUGS II on a Saturday Night. Wow good times!

FootballDen,

You sound a lot like ManTown..... hmmm....he seems to have disappeared.

Randy

post #299 of 556 Old 03-02-2008, 12:06 PM

My old computer crashed and didnt feel like going through the trouble of recovering all the information, gotta love technology
post #300 of 556 Old 03-02-2008, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ha! Where are you pictures of the bar you promised! Come on Brother!

Randy

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page