newbie advice - am I buying the right stuff? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-21-2000, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Hello, and thanks for a great source of information.

I live out in the boonies, and as such spend a lot of time renting movies. I am about to upgrade to dish network, and need some advice on purchases.

I have decided on the Toshiba TW40X81 "HDTV ready" RPTV. For audio I am set - Sony STRDE935 receiver, Infinity Ovation 2, Infinity center, Infinity sub, Harman Kardon rears. Currently have Sony s330 DVD, but will upgrade to the Toshiba 5109 (probably).

What type of Dish Network receiver should I get, and what type of dish to be ready for HDTV movie reception? I understand this is a different type of dish. What else do I need in order to make my dream HT system HDTV "already"? Are there other components I might need in order to soup up my system for ultimate movie/sports viewing pleasure?

Thanks in advance.

Nethawk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-22-2000, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sounds like a great list of gear. The model 5000 with the HD modulator gets Dish HDTV for HBO. No sports on Dish in HDTV yet.

[This message has been edited by Laurence (edited January 22, 2000).]
post #3 of 4 Old 01-22-2000, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I agree, in that the dish system allows you to use anyone's stb that has component video outputs (your tosh rptv can accept hdtv via its component video inputs and some stbs(set top boxes) use rgb output). This can be more expensive though. An interesting, although more expensive, combination is the dish system with the panasonic model 50/51 set top box and their dvhs machine.

- Jerry
post #4 of 4 Old 01-22-2000, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Thank you for the replies. I would like to ask for a clarification, though, if I may. I was under the impression that I was limited only to EchoStar's Model 5000 receiver and an external adapter (which converts HDTV to something like ATSC broadcast signals) to receive HDTV. Jerry's response leads me to believe that I can achieve the same goal using any STB (given the component outputs)? Is this true?

Thanks again for the wealth of knowledge.

Nethawk

Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page