Outdoor Movie Screen - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 282 Old 09-15-2006, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using Dazian grey rear-projection material for my outdoor screen for a couple of years now.

In my case I am limited to a 72" wide screen because of posts/columns, so I can't speak about larger rear-projection screens, but for my setup the image is incredible (several people thought it was a plasma TV).

And since the screen is not that big, I've attached it so that it rolls up like a window shade. I bought a 76" window shade, replaced its material with the Dazian material, and attached hangers to our colonnade. When we are done watching a movie it just rolls up out of the way. The projector sits inside a small gardenhouse and shoots out the door. The nice thing about using rear-projection is we can still use our fire pit without it affecting the image.

If we want a larger screen (16 ft. wide) we use a screen that we got from a movie theater that was being renovated, and we use front projection.

"You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong." William J.H. Boetcker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 282 Old 09-17-2006, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Showed "The Wild"--a disney movie that came out this year. Computer animated, with some pretty realistic-looking animals. I took my kids to the theater to see this movie, and I hated it! But the neighbors all met with my wife on Friday and convinced her to show it for movie night, since nobody had seen it, and she agreed, so I had to suffer through it again.

I actually didn't mind it as much the second time around. I found myself actually laughing at some scenes! The crowd seemed to enjoy it quite a bit as well. Perhaps I was in a bad mood when I went the first time, but I enjoyed it much more the second time.

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #273 of 282 Old 09-18-2006, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Does anyone have any design suggestions for a frame for a RP outdoor screen? You obviously can't have any stabilizing cross beams on either side of the screen. How do you compensate for any sag in the top and bottom beams (I have to assume that both PVC and wood frames will sag in the middle over a 10' or wider frame)?

post #274 of 282 Old 09-18-2006, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnilsson View Post

Does anyone have any design suggestions for a frame for a RP outdoor screen? You obviously can't have any stabilizing cross beams on either side of the screen. How do you compensate for any sag in the top and bottom beams (I have to assume that both PVC and wood frames will sag in the middle over a 10' or wider frame)?

I use two 10 foot conduit poles removably bolted through eyelets to a fence that are 16 feet apart. My screen, which is an unseamed artist's canvas, has a pocket across the top, and a rope traverses through the pocket through eyelets at the tops of the poles. The rope then travels down at 45 degree angles and are tied to the fence (actually, there is a rope ratchet on each side that allows me to tighten or loosen the rope as needed. The tighter the rope, the less the sag across the top. I can pretty much get it straight across the top with out any sag whatsoever.

These pictures show the screen as being a little wavy, but in reality, no waves are visible during the movie, even if you look for them.

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #275 of 282 Old 09-19-2006, 07:41 AM

post #276 of 282 Old 09-19-2006, 10:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsalfin View Post

Hey all I will be in the back yard theater gang this weekend.

Im building a 12x20 screen frame out of 1and3/8 fence top rail.
And I will be using tarpeze material for the srceen

I'm building a 10x20 or 12x20 outdoor screen this week too. I just got back from Home Depot and a Farming Supply place... no one has T-connectors for 1 3/8" fence rail. I'll probably use EMT conduit.

I was planning on getting a tarp, but I read they had too much glare, so I'm going to try a muslin backdrop from ebay.

I've got lots of questions and some potentially helpful links and sources... I'll start a thread in the new AVS Outdoor Theaters sub-forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=159
post #277 of 282 Old 09-20-2006, 07:32 AM

post #278 of 282 Old 09-20-2006, 11:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I've posted some pics of my outdoor setup in the new part of the new outdoor forum here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=725188

I also have a full write up of each step in building the screen and the whole thing over here:

WarrenP's Outdoor Theater Story

Now I'm already looking forward to next Spring!
post #279 of 282 Old 09-22-2006, 08:15 AM

Any suggestions for materials to use outside for a REAR projection screen? If possible, I would like to find a material that could stay outside several months (weather resistant).

I would like to find something a bit cheaper than Dazian, if possible.

Thanks,
Brian
post #280 of 282 Old 09-22-2006, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Try walmart's 70x78 clear frosted shower curtain. Retails for about $6. Use 2" wide clear tape to put two together.

Works great with minimal hotspotting

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #281 of 282 Old 09-22-2006, 05:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bh758 View Post

Any suggestions for materials to use outside for a REAR projection screen? If possible, I would like to find a material that could stay outside several months (weather resistant).

Search ebay for "fastfold".

If you're patient, you'll be able to find a large Da-Lite rear projection screen for anywhere from $9-$100...

post #282 of 282 Old 01-07-2007, 07:13 AM

Just figured I'd drop a quick line and say everything with my projector and outdoor screen has worked flawlessly this season...

after my first few movies... [I was lugging out the projector / stereo receiver / dvd player / and speakers] I learned fairly quickly, after don't tear downs a little intoxicated at like 2 AM or later sometimes, that I needed to streamline my equiptment... so I installed an outdoor electrical box to my deck below where my projector operates from. Inside the box I now have a coax conection ran to my Digital Cable splitter in the basement, and a set of RCA jacks [bought some simple rca ends and used some decent gauge shielded wire] Have male ends inside my house, plugged into my reciever [in my living room] to AUX... and female ends in the outdoor box outside. Already had outdoor speakers installed on my deck running to the "B" channel of my [living room] receiver.

So currently if I wanna watch a movie or HD cable broadcast, I just bring out the projector and video source [dvd player or cable box] Hook the DVD up via component and use the RCAs I installed for basic AUDIO. When using the cable box, same idea... just hook up to the coax feed, and component to the projector and RCA for the AUDIO.

Only issue I have now is adjusting the volume... got to go inside the house for that... will address that issue soon! [maybe an impedence matched outdoor volume control inline with the speakers]

This setup simplifies me to just two lightwieght components [projector / video source]

Also can now hookup someone's IPOD to the RCAs [or anything else for that matter] to listen to music on the deck... or just use my MP3 jukebox from inside the house.

Also, I've now had a few outdoor gaming nights [after the purchase of my Xbox 360] works great being that the Xbox's controllers are RF wireless an work up to about 40 feet ... games look AMAZING that big and in HD. Had some marathon sessions of Madden '07 ... just don't forget the beer!

Been using the projector indoors [now that winter has set in] extremely happy with it.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page