Outdoor Movie Screen - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 282 Old 05-20-2006, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last fall I built a 20 foot + screen to put on by the pool. We have used for the superbowl and two weekends in a row the Mavs vs Spurs series. We plan to put on a few movie nights in the upcoming summer months. We have had over a hunder people on the patio watching events and everyone gets a great view. Sound is provided by 12 speakers spread around the pool and patio. Here are some pictures at the following link.

Outdoor Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 282 Old 05-20-2006, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The images are nice....

But that backyard is AWESOME!

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #93 of 282 Old 05-21-2006, 06:24 PM

jsloyer

I'm in Leesburg, VA also and have wired up my deck for an outside theater. Just stumbled across this thread and has certainly given me some excellent ideas.

I wired my deck last year for 7.1 surrond, with mounted Bose 251's for the surrond speakers and an unused indoor center channel speaker that I just hook up before an event. Everything is wired from my Pioneer 49TX receiver in the adjoining family room, and for a screen, I just unroll a white tarp and secure over a trellis on the deck. Use a Dell 3200MP as the projector which I hook up via component cables, which gives a decent picture with DVD and Directv HD for sports.

But the only thing lacking was decent bass, as I blew out my old Velodyne woofer which I would just roll open a sliding glass door and plop out onto the deck. So I did a lot of research on these forums and ended up purchasing an SVS PB12 /Plus2 which was delivered Friday morning. Man, that subwoofer is big. I was so anxious to get it up and running I decided to manhandle the beast onto the deck by myself and nearly had a heart attack getting it up the steps.

Anyhow, long story but let me tell you that it has made a tremendous difference in the outdoor theater. Had a bunch of friends over to watch the NBA playoffs then the latest Star Wars movie this weekend, and it was incredible. The whole deck was shaking, no need for buttkickers here. Everyone commented it sounded as good or better than any movie theater they had ever been to. I still haven't totally calibrated it yet and still playing with the muliple settings on it.

Only trick now is going to be moving that beast in and out of the house. I do wish I could figure out a way to be able to A/B switch the 7.1 system from between the family room and the outside movie theater. Now I just run the family room on speaker B setting, which is stereo only. We use the outdoor theater year round, as I have a fire pit on the deck also for those chilly nights. Does anyone have any ideas or know if this can be done (short of buying the top of the line Dennon unit).

Glad to see I am not the only one into outdoor theater!!
post #94 of 282 Old 05-22-2006, 08:31 AM

Where abouts in Lburg? I'm right by the outlets.

Anyhow, I was out last night testing my setup for this coming w/e. The HomeDepot Painter's cloth, the 2x4s, and my cement base all passed the test. Especially yesterday as it was windy as hell. I was very pleased w/ my Sony HS20 picture from about 25 feet away. Was using the largest HD Cloth that amounts to a 13 foot diag screen at 1.85:1 format.

Will be showing ET this weekend. Haven't seen that one in eeeonnss.

Anyhow, I only tested the screen and the PJ. I'm going to bring the sound out one night this week and check that out. I read alot of people saying SUBS aren't that good outside, but I'm w/ you - I want to try and replicate my indoor theatre as much as possible outside, incl sub. I've got a velodyne and plan to jack it up. I'm just not sure where to put it? On the grass or on the brick patio? Overall, I am way excited now for this w/e to come. This is my first outdoor showing and can't wait. My neighbor who helped me wanted to stay outside last night and watch the Sopranos. I was almost convinced!

I'm going for 5.1 and have a pair of older 2 foot high speaks for the front. A polk center channel that I use for the indoor theatre, and 2 polk rear speaks. I'm concerned that the sound will feel "empty" being outside so I may need to bring the 4 foot mac daddy front speaks out from the indoor theatre. But that's what dry runs are for before the big show.

I've got a chiminea and could do cold night movies, but that thing only throws heat to the 5 people around it 10 feet away. Not a yard full of people! You have the open seat fire pit?
post #95 of 282 Old 05-22-2006, 09:42 AM

What projectors are yall using outside? The biggest impediment to me in setting up an outside theater is whether a particular pj that I might get will be bright enough.
post #96 of 282 Old 05-22-2006, 09:55 AM

I've heard people say 500 lumens or more is better. Alot of the PJs out there are more. Mine is 1000 I think so it's fine.
post #97 of 282 Old 05-22-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsloyer View Post

I've heard people say 500 lumens or more is better. Alot of the PJs out there are more. Mine is 1000 I think so it's fine.

I think I said 500 ANSI lumens a couple weeks ago, but there is nothing scientific about that quote. From what I have read that seems like a good number. Anything you purchase nowadays unless your going oldschool CRT should have 500+.

It will also depend on your screen size. I think Steve S. is using a BenQ that puts out about 1500 on a 20'+ screen. I'm currently using a smaller screen at 4.5' CH with an InFocus business projector that puts out 750 and its fine (even with a full moon and clear skies) . I have also pulled this PJ back another 10 feet or so and its still bright enough at around 8' CH - which is why I will be upgrading my "canvas" ASAP.

Of course you start to loose some of that brightness on the outside - but remember it is an outdoor theater - people are not there for picture and audio quality (though it does help) .

Good luck!
post #98 of 282 Old 05-22-2006, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrieger View Post

I think I said 500 ANSI lumens a couple weeks ago, but there is nothing scientific about that quote. From what I have read that seems like a good number. Anything you purchase nowadays unless your going oldschool CRT should have 500+.

It will also depend on your screen size. I think Steve S. is using a BenQ that puts out about 1500 on a 20'+ screen. I'm currently using a smaller screen at 4.5' CH with an InFocus business projector that puts out 750 and its fine (even with a full moon and clear skies) .

Yeah, I use a Benq that is rated at 1700 lumens, I believe. It is, obviously, plenty bright.

I wish I knew what would be a good minimum to use, but I don't. Anyway to borrow some low lumen projectors to test?

The problem I see is when you go big--really big--the light is spread over a much larger area than your tiny big screen inside. A better measurement is foot-lambert, which is a measure of the brightness of a square foot of your screen in lumens/square feet. My Benq is throwing out 1700 lumens (highly doubt it, since I have about 600 hours on it--let's say it is about 1000 lumens now, plus I have to consider that it is 1700 lumens for a 600x800 image--once I add black bars, part of the bulb is blocked by my off pixels--almost 30 percent of the image!), and my screen is 1.85:1 (which at constant height, works out to 7 ft x 13 ft, or 91 square feet). Taking all of this into account, the image has a luminance of about 8 ft-lamberts.

Someone mentioned in a different thread that you want to get an image that has a luminance of about 6-8 (but I would image it also depends on the screen you are using--I would have to imaging my screen has a gain of less than 1 (off white), so that may decrease my luminance a little bit.

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #99 of 282 Old 05-22-2006, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I fired up a 12 ft wide image using my crappy old sony 1020 CRT pj, which I know can't fire higher than 500 lumens.

Picture looks fine, but what you're showing makes the difference. Darker movies like Star Wars or Pitch Black might be difficult on some scenes but bright animation like Shrek will be just fine.

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Small theaters gallery
post #100 of 282 Old 05-23-2006, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I'm using a Sharp XR-1S business class projector that says it's 1100 lumens in standard and 940 in economy mode. Ran Racing Stripes last Saturday in economy and it looked great at 12' wide, if that's any help.

Tom

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #101 of 282 Old 05-23-2006, 08:03 AM

Thanks for compliment Victor

On our 20 foot screen the optoma H77 looks pretty dim and I believe it is around 500 lumens. However, being in the Dallas metroplex it never gets real dark here. We use a sanyo light canon for outdoor use and it is rated at 2500 lumens. Picture looks great on it no matter what you are watching.
post #102 of 282 Old 05-23-2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

First outdoor movie is this Saturday night (if the weather holds). PM me if you'd like to check it out. We're doing Kid's Night....Racing Stripes.

Tom

Tom, how'd the weekend go? Did the weather hold up? - I think we missed your synopsis... Any pics? I'm sure the kids had blast!
post #103 of 282 Old 05-24-2006, 01:18 PM

Thought I would post this over here as well in case you havent seen the thread:

pb_maxx:
gesso. designed to tighten and adhere the canvas.
prime with upw. 2 heavy coats.
light hand sand with 3M sanding sponge.
complete the prime with 1 coat of upw.

-------------------------------------------------------------

pb, thanks for the tip. Do you know (or have experience with) if there will be any problems (cracking, etc.) with the UPW-primed solution on canvas if it is rolled and unrolled many times (i.e. rolled up on a large PVC pipe when not in use)? Guess there is only one way to find out.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------

mix your upw with delta's textile additive. it comes in 8oz bottles and it can be found at michael's stores as well.

it is designed to be used with delta acrylic paints to make them textile friendly.
according to delta by adding the textile additive you are supposed to be able to make your t-shirts, hand bags, etc, machine wash friendly.

now that's a new concept...

"MACHINE WASHABLE PROJECTION SCREEN"!!!!
post #104 of 282 Old 05-24-2006, 03:27 PM

Anyone get the 16' wide screen over a double-wide garage door rear projection setup going? They are finishing up my garage next week and I'm ready to get going.
Specifically:
What material did you use for rear projection?
How did you suspend it?
post #105 of 282 Old 05-24-2006, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasher View Post

Anyone get the 16' wide screen over a double-wide garage door rear projection setup going? They are finishing up my garage next week and I'm ready to get going.
Specifically:
What material did you use for rear projection?
How did you suspend it?

I haven't tried it yet but using 6mil clear plastic tarp from Home Depot might work. At least, that's what the Rhodes did for their rp garage ht

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Small theaters gallery
post #106 of 282 Old 05-24-2006, 07:31 PM

great thread...I've been doing backyard cinema for a couple of years but nothing fancy, just projecting onto a sheet or my white garage with lots of beer. This thread has definately inspired me to go bigger and better. This year we've done KingKong which was great and then a pixar night for the kiddos. Here's a shot of a party we had where we showed Jackass...great fun!

post #107 of 282 Old 05-25-2006, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Tom, how'd the weekend go? Did the weather hold up? - I think we missed your synopsis... Any pics? I'm sure the kids had blast!

Sorry I didn't answer sooner...been busy.

Yes, weather was great...until about the last 15 minutes of the movie when it started to get COLD. Other than that, PERFECT! Kids all enjoyed it. I hadn't seen it either and it made me laugh a couple times. Mostly the David Spade lines.

One of the funny things that happened during the movie....

There's a scene where the David Spade character of the horse fly lands in a pile of horse, uhh...droppings. FRESH droppings. The fly dives in to the VERY fresh dropings and says he's died and it must heaven. He dives in and comes up dripping in, the, uh, droppings. A little kid says out loud...."Is that ICE CREAM?!" THAT cracked us up more than the scene.

I did get some pics, just haven't gotten them out of the camera yet!

FWIW, you can check out a few older ones at my site. Just click on OUTDOOR THEATER on the menu.

http://members.cavtel.net/thomaslogan

Tom

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #108 of 282 Old 05-25-2006, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We are all set for our first movie night of the year on Saturday night. The weather is set to be hot (90 deg. in Crystal Lake, IL) We are showing the Emperor's New Groove--one of me and my wife's favorites--we think it is quite underrated. It is very funny, good for adults and kids.

If anyone on these boards is in the area, you are welcome to stop by. Just pm me for directions, and I'll give you a tour of my setup.

post #109 of 282 Old 05-25-2006, 10:33 PM

Sounds like a volleyball net-like setup. We have one (a volleyball net) and it is easy to store all rolled up.

Have you considered a stretch fabric like Trapeze? It won't work well if you have a backlighting problem but with (maybe) a thin cable across the top and possibly the bottom you would have a nice taught screen. You would need something on the bottom though, or it will naturally pucker upwards. It's also more forgiving in the wind.

Take it outside...
BackyardTheater.com
-- photos | tips | diy info --
post #110 of 282 Old 05-26-2006, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My first material I ever though about using was a stretch material--like spandex, that I found at walmart for $1.00 / yd on clearance (in fact, I just saw a couple huge rolls of it there a few days ago, also on clearance). My original screen last year, which was fairly rigid, 2x2s, the spandex was to be stretched over. Turns out that once stretched, the material is much much too thin, and ran like crazy (like nylons). The other day at Walmart, I did notice a a thicker spandex-like material (seemed to only stretch in one direction, as opposed to both directions like the other material), but to get it to stretch to about 90-96 inches, I would need to start with a much wider material than 54". In reality, I would only need a little bit of stretch--just something to make it taut. But I never found the right material...

As it stands, the canvas material works really well, even if a bit heavy, even with the wrinkles. We'll try it this weekend, and I'll be sure to post some pictures.

You are right about the volleyball net idea. The concept for my screen came from a friend of mine, who used "volleyball net" a lot as he was describing the concept to me.

post #111 of 282 Old 05-26-2006, 06:06 PM

I ran into this material today which looks promising. It seems to have a 13oz scrim that might help with the wind. Unfortunately it looks like it only comes in 72" and would need a few people to go in on a roll of 30 yrds.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=681710

Other light reading:
I read through this thread and it seems bud has some interesting concepts on framing techniques and some thoughts on painting canvas.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=635968
post #112 of 282 Old 05-27-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrieger View Post

I also wanted to pass along this link as I have not seen it mentioned here. I may try this material in the future - looking to get a size closer to rsante's (6'x14'). It seems they can do a 6' width without a seam - I am going to do a little more searching on vinyl banner blanks to see what turns up...

There has been a lot of discussion on this subject (modest cost screen cloth over 54" wide) in the DIY Screen Forum ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=110 ). One option, which I used, is 110" (9' 2") blackout cloth, available from a number of places such as:

http://www.rosebrand.com/A_Com/showd...ctGroup_ID=134

They are in NY and cater to theatrical and commercial drapery customers but will sell it to individuals too. Paid $15 a yard plus a small shipping charge.

From it we made a 16' x 7'9" screen on a 1x3 wood frame following some ideas from the DIY Screen group, but set it up to hang like a picture over a frame made of 1 1/4" PVC schedule 40 pipe.

Hope that helps...

Mike
post #113 of 282 Old 05-30-2006, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow--we had our first movie night on Saturday night, but it almost didn't happen. The movie was scheduled to start at 9pm, and we had about 60 people say they were coming, but at about 5pm, we got hit with a very strange thunderstorm out of the blue--In fact, during the storm, weather.com listed our current conditions and forecast as sunny and 0% chance of precipitation.

We first got hit with torrential downpour that turned into a steady rain for about 1 1/2 hours. We then got hit with extremely windy conditions (one such burst of wind was so strong that it blew our grill from one end of our deck to the other!) We waited and waited--we could actually see, in the western sky, the break in the clouds--and sun behind it, but it took SO LONG to actually get to our house. Anyway, at about 7pm, with the end of the storm in sight, we decided to take a risk and tell everyone (at least in our neighborhood) that the movie was still on. By screening time, no wind, our grass was dry, and the stars were out!

Unfortunately, we had about half the number of people there that originally said they were going to attend. But it was a fun movie, and those that came had a really good time.

Anyway, I managed to take some pictures of the set up. An interesting thing about the pictures, they show a little bit of sag across the top--I actually had a solution to that from my previous set up of the screen (bungee balls attached to a grommet on the top stretched the screen outwards), but forgot to add those to the screen. They would have eliminated the slight sagginess.

post #114 of 282 Old 05-30-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori84 View Post

From it we made a 16' x 7'9" screen on a 1x3 wood frame following some ideas from the DIY Screen group, but set it up to hang like a picture over a frame made of 1 1/4" PVC schedule 40 pipe.

Mike

DO you have any picts?????
post #115 of 282 Old 05-30-2006, 02:28 PM

Still looking for some advice on setting up a rear projection screen. We did our first screening party over the weekend and shot the SP4805 (front projection) onto some light gray canvas painter's drop cloth. Picture was GREAT!
During the movies, I went back behind the screen to see how it would work for rear projection. Aside from a pretty grisly hotspot from the camera lens itself, the picture looked remarkably good for some cheap canvas. Anyone care to comment about what other material we should try?
They're finishing up our garage in the next couple of weeks and then we'll be ready to set up the RP system...
post #116 of 282 Old 05-30-2006, 03:19 PM

Check item number 9731650696 on everyone's favorite auction site.

That is the type of material to look for. I use Dazian rear-projection screen material which is grey and you cannot see through it. This eliminates the hot-spot. The image it provides is amazing.

"You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong." William J.H. Boetcker
post #117 of 282 Old 05-30-2006, 07:49 PM

Check it out chaps.
I was messin around to see if I really wanted to get into DIY outdoor movies.
So much info, so many frames, so much yadda yadda yadda.

My neighbor had a 5 x 8 tarp and let me borrow it for a look-see.

The posts I put this tarp on are 14 feet apart.

After my set up took all of 10 minutes I can safetly say I will be going to a much much larger scale.

I want to project a true 9' x 16' outdoor screen.

I have posts at the other end of the yard 18' feet apart.

I am having a hard time finding seamless material large enough with or without grommets.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I would prefer a canvas or cloth to anything poly.
I know there is seamless poly out there but I am hesitant to buy it.
I'm worried it won't project a "smooth" picture.

Thanks
LL
post #118 of 282 Old 05-30-2006, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

We first got hit with torrential downpour that turned into a steady rain for about 1 1/2 hours. We then got hit with extremely windy conditions (one such burst of wind was so strong that it blew our grill from one end of our deck to the other!) We waited and waited--we could actually see, in the western sky, the break in the clouds--and sun behind it, but it took SO LONG to actually get to our house.

YES! That was incredible. In Elgin, we had hail, high winds, 2" rain. When I got home to Algonquin, not a drop!

Glad to hear the movie night was a success. Thanks for the pics and sorry I couldn't make it over.

Scott

"There's a lot of badness in the world, Danny"
post #119 of 282 Old 06-01-2006, 06:14 AM

Tdubbs- Home Depot has a painters canvas that's 9X15. You'd lose a foot in height and width to keep the aspect but it's way bigger than that 5x8. I think it's only like $27 too. Harbor Freight used to sell all kinds of huge canvas stuff that people used to build DIY tents.
post #120 of 282 Old 06-01-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDubbs View Post

DO you have any picts?????

Our next showing is scheduled for Sunday, June 4; we're doing Spiderman 2. I usually set up the night before to check focus and framing etc, so I should be able to take some photos and then post some on the 4th or shortly thereafter. Right now the screen is stowed in the garage.

Mike
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page