post #1 of 20 Old 08-21-2000, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
jdb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings,

Home theatre, Home Cinema, Media room, TV room, Game room w/ TV...

Seems there should be a distinction but what would the criteria be?

If I put a TV and 9 folding chairs in a room what would it be called?
Maybe size matters?

Can I bring my exersice bike into the local multiplex and clock a few miles in the aisle? What about my laundry and ironing board? Fire hazard aside, maybe multiplex's should have a section with no seats, eh?

The term "Dedicated Home Theatre" now has me grinning and shaking my head. Anyone else think this odd?

"Two for the Green mile, ironing section, please...jdb"

Peabody Theatre
rev. 07.28.2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-21-2000, 03:47 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdb:
Greetings,

If I put a TV and 9 folding chairs in a room what would it be called?
Maybe size matters?

Can I bring my exersice bike into the local multiplex and clock a few miles in the aisle? What about my laundry and ironing board? Fire hazard aside, maybe multiplex's should have a section with no seats, eh?

The term "Dedicated Home Theatre" now has me grinning and shaking my head. Anyone else think this odd?
That would be called an old age home.....

I understand that the proper name of the new room is 'Media Room"

In the spirit of that, I grabbed the Domain name "MEDIAPHILE" about 2 years back or so. I am getting ready to use it, finally.

------------------
---Place Signature Here---

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 08-21-2000).]

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-22-2000, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
How about Baimos Bar and Grill?
post #4 of 20 Old 08-26-2000, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Dedicated means "sort of" reserved for that purpose only.

So "dedicated" home theater means you go in there only to watch shows. You can be pedaling an exercise cycle or ironing at the same time, but when the show is over, you leave.

It can still be a home theater when, between shows you turn on the lights and do office work, or reading, or homework for the kids, or play games, etc. But then it would not be "dedicated".

Another example: A home office need not take up an entire room, but whatever portion is used as a tax deduction must be dedicated to business use.

It has been acceptable to consider a person dedicated to something, such as piano playing, or tennis, or home theater, provided he spends a lot of his time at it but he is not excluded from doing other things in his life.

More video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

[This message has been edited by Allan Jayne (edited 08-26-2000).]

Remember when lines and logos burned the TV screen? I was at a concert where a musical selection made extremely heavy use of about four of the keys of the piano.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-26-2000, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
jdb
AVS Special Member

Allan: I enjoyed the link.

Putting a "finer" point on my point...

A Theatre was once where one went to see a play, attend the Opra, or go to the Ballet. (Some families had the money to build a Theatre in the home.)

The Motion Picture came along. The logical place to show a "film" was the Theatre. Audio track a piano stage left. (The families with money, nodded to one another and said," We must have this for our Theatre".)

Time marches on.

MGM, Cinema, Silver screen, Television, Betavision, BBC, cable TV, The couch Potato. Astounding to me the advancements from Zog starring into the flames of a fire to satellite TiVo. (But notice the downward trend?)

Somewhere along the line a "living room" with a Television became law.
Somewhere along the line this now qualifies as a "Home Theatre".
Now some preface their "Home Theatre" with the word "dedicated".
Add "D.H.T" to the procession of titles.

Last week I clicked a "Dedicated Home Theatre" site, while surfing Yahoo cities, and saw the front room of a two room, over flowing, "low rent" apartment. I shook my head and popped off with this vague, shallow at best, scratch of the suface, topic.

An apartment can be a home. Home is where you keep your stuff. A/V equipment is stuff. A Theatre shows films with A/V stuff...but how does one spin the word "dedicated" into this mogrel term? By plunging the "D.H.T." into total darkness? I don't get it.

I must be a snob. jdb

PS How I named the place I keep my A/V stuff?
Mr. Peabody was a humble, resourceful, man of quality with great pride in his efforts. I liked him. He's now dead.
I chose the word "Theatre" over "Cinema" as we also have live shows, the kids mostly, in addition to a projector and screen for "film".
The only thing not so humble about the room is the number of hours I've put into it's construction. (On that I take the 5th)

Peabody Theatre
rev. 07.28.2000
post #6 of 20 Old 08-26-2000, 12:30 PM

I use the term "sound room" since I have three independant sound systems (2.0, 3.0, and 8.3) in one dedicated acoustically treated room with sound traps. I've been a long time audiofile until the home theater concept came along. So being an old timer (with alot of upgrades) I still call my home theater room a "sound room".
post #7 of 20 Old 08-26-2000, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
I have a "dedicated home theater" meaning that all my finest gear is there, The projector is there , the room has been soundproofed to an extent, the seating has been placed and the system has been calibrated.
We eat up stairs for dinner and then go to a dedicated room where the guests choose from over 60 DVD's to watch.
We rarely watch tv or sports in this room (even though most of my friends would love to), proberbly less than 20 hours over the past year.
Finally I am having a hard time finding theaters that can compete with my home theater (They may have a better picture but not a better sound system).
This, to me is a dedicated home theater.

clopez
post #8 of 20 Old 08-26-2000, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I use one system in one room for music, HDTV, and PC/internet access. So I use the generic "media room."

------------------
HiDefDave

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!
post #9 of 20 Old 08-27-2000, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
jdb
AVS Special Member

Hi Peoples,

KBK: Guess that leaves "multimediaphile.com" still up for grabs? Your old age home crack made me laugh right when I needed it most. Thanks.

Baimo: Think I'll name the kitchen audio system (leaves a little to be desired, sorry) in your honor. Whats the pronouciation?

Ed: I can tell you have some class, but what keeps you in Austin? It got to wooly for me. "Jazz" still down on 6 st?

Dave: Media room sounds fitting, maybe you could snatch KBK's unused domain name out from under his screen paint dripping fingers?

clopez: This probably gets nearest my question. In my mind, You have a "Home Theatre". What makes you want to qualify it with the word "dedicated"?

Company picnic a few weeks back. Bingo at dusk. One prize is the Kenwood Home Theatre package. Later the winner was hugging the box as we stood next to eachother in the crowd. I smiled and said, "What cha got there?" The responce was a proud, "I got a HOME THEATRE"!

"Never steal another man's thunder", so I let it stand and felt the term get watered down another notch. jdb

Peabody Theatre
rev. 07.28.2000
post #10 of 20 Old 08-27-2000, 08:34 PM

jdb - "Jazz" is still down on 6 st. What keeps me in Austin, well I have a few more years to go before I retire from Motorola, after that who knows. Austin has grown alot, but it's still a great town to live in.
post #11 of 20 Old 08-28-2000, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
I guess it comes down to the interpretation of a home theater. Most people have a media room, or a surround system. We are then forced to differentiate between a media room and a true home-theater (like going to the movies). Most people think that a home theater system will cost at least 30000, so they like to feel that they have a surround system that is like a home theater for much less. This the becomes their "home theater"
I let my friends discuss their "home theater" because those are the buzz words they know.
I also remember when I brought home my first system and was blown away. All my friends were blown away. I thought that this was a geater "home theater". It is when I start going to high-end stores and seeing their setups when I realized I will not duoplicate that in a living room.

Beauty is in the eye of the behold, so is their definition of a "home theater".
clopez
post #12 of 20 Old 08-28-2000, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

To me, the way to tell the difference between a home theater and a dedicated home theater is this: do you use the room without touching your A/V gear? If it's where you work on jigsaw puzzles, if the kids use the floor as play space, or if you hang out there while eating lunch or chatting with friends, it's not a dedicated room.

Obviously I don't mean to say you can't say a word to your friends in the room, but if you habitually go in there with no intention of watching anything, I'd say it's a multipurpose room rather than a dedicated theater.

I don't think the word "dedicated" has anything to do with equipment (though we can argue till we're blue in the face about what "home theater" means). Or all that much relevance, really. I think what's important is the effect the room achieves, both in terms of its inherent aesthetic quality -- the "wow, cool room" factor -- and in terms of providing a distraction-free environment to help you get sucked into a good movie.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-29-2000, 07:36 PM

I have to agree with Steve, I am just finishing up what I would call a "Dedicated Home Theater" in that the only purpose for the room is to provide a "distraction-free environment to help you get sucked into a good movie." Complete with built in projector, screen, controllable lighting, seats that only face forward, and no phone. Once the doors are shut, it's all movies.

Upstairs, we have an entertainment center in the Living Room, which in times past was were the movies were watched. I never considered that to be a "theater' by and means even though it had all the makings of a theater.

Andy
post #14 of 20 Old 08-30-2000, 07:02 AM

Here's my definition, pretty close to Andy;

It's a dedicated home theater when and if;

It's too dark even when the lights are on to do anything else!
Can't rearrange the seats (thye're bolted!) to suit other activities;
No outside distraction (phone etc) to break the magical movie spell.

When you shut the door, you also shut off the world around you.
post #15 of 20 Old 08-30-2000, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KBK:

In the spirit of that, I grabbed the Domain name "MEDIAPHILE" about 2 years back or so. I am getting ready to use it, finally.
Hmm, and I grabbed SGHT.com ("SoundzGreat! Home Theatre" i was gonna call it). Maybe I'll make it live and just put pictures of MY construction project... Hmmm, I wonder how much people are selling four letter domain names nowadays ...

[This message has been edited by Dede (edited 08-30-2000).]
post #16 of 20 Old 08-30-2000, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

I'm really surprised you guys aren't gobbling up the new .TV domain names. Something like DedicatedHomeTheater.TV, HD.TV, HT.TV for example.

Graeme Black

Graeme Black
My HT construction page
Nothing can be made idiot-proof, because idiots are far too clever ...
post #17 of 20 Old 08-30-2000, 11:51 AM

You forgot plasma.tv, bigscreen.tv, flat.tv etc....

jdb: Thinking the preface is merely to seperate the Reallybes from the Wannabes.
Any confessions? Flame Suit On!

No abestos underwear needed, I won't be calling it a dedicated H T, just the cinema room .... (actually, I call it my " salle de cinéma")
post #18 of 20 Old 08-30-2000, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 284
It is until I get myself a new house! Then look out Cineplex Odeons! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Dan

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #19 of 20 Old 08-30-2000, 04:47 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

I don't have a living room. It is the place where work and movies coinside. Equipment development never leaves my face. I have to leave the house to get away from my work. Of course, I like my work. Otherwise I would rather just go live in a ditch. Some that have seen my house during my finer moments of digression would say the ditch is in the house....
If I don't in some small way, suffer an ephiphany (technically or in physics), I feel as if my day has been wasted. Forward, never holding still.

"Ain't got time to bleed" -Jesse Ventura, Predator.

I used up all my sick and party days. All I've got left are all of the work days. Yuck. At least I get to watch the odd move and listen to tunes to relax. Except some small part of me is still working.... even when I am asleep. I can't turn it off, I wish I could.

------------------
---Place Signature Here---

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #20 of 20 Old 08-30-2000, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
jdb
AVS Special Member

Dede: KBK says, "A buck two ninety five". (actually I just amde that up)

Alright, Once it was called a Home Theatre. Now it's a "Dedicated" Home Theatre. Wondering what you guys are going to call your rooms when the term "D.H.T" gets watered down to a meaningless definition?

How about: "Really, Truely a Dedicated, single purpose, distraction free, Home Theatre environment, suck you in the movie room." http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

"A Rose is a Rose, But a Dedicated Rose smells more better." jdb.

Thinking the preface is merely to seperate the Reallybes from the Wannabes.
Any confessions? Flame Suit On! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Peabody Theatre
rev. 07.28.2000
Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page