Sub Placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-29-2000, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currentlly setting up my home theater and have a question regarding the placement of my subs. I am running a pair of Definitive BP2000 (built in subs) for my front along witha LCR2000 center. I also have a 15" powered Definitive sub that I would like to place some wear in the room. My room is 13' X 27' and I have been told to put it along the back wall about 1/3 of the way off the one of the corners. Would this be a good idea? Is there a better place to have it? What about running my center channel speaker through my sub? Were should I place the sub then?

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-30-2000, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi bung583,
I have a DefTech 18 subwoofer.
Reading Audio Video Interiors, August issue i think, they gave an in depth recommendation for speaker and seating positions. I tried their ideas and it worked for me.
They recommend that the sub be placed 1/4 the length of the back wall. Then calibreate the Sub to 75db and. It will sound kind of whimpy at first, but later it does blend nicely.
clopez
post #3 of 10 Old 08-30-2000, 07:21 AM
jdb
AVS Special Member

Greetings,

AVI, (Sept. issue): Using a "spreadsheet" approach, Russ, tells us to SPL the test tone from our chair, with the #1 sub at a 1/4 back wall location. This does not address/ allow for your "built in" LR subs already up front. Russ goes on to talk about 2nd & 3rd subs and other stuff.

Arthur Snelling (AVS hipster/ member/ all around cool guy) found otherwise for his room. Snoop out his web site, eh?

In my pill box of an HT, I tried everthing but clg. locations. I found two very fun spots but due to flush mounting these in the walls, I settled for 2 "pretty good" locations. A compromise between the "look" (eyes) of the room and the "sound" (ears) of the room. SPL meter said put one sub in the walkway. Wife said, that's not very much fun. The Kids didn't care.

So, standing waves, Spreadsheets, and SPL meters aside: maybe you put a long cable on the sub and start pushing it around the room until you find a nice location split between your eyes and ears.

Clopez: Is it your room or your ears that adjusted to the sub?

I'll be amazed if this helps any, jdb

Edited to respell "Snelling".

------------------
Peabody Theatre

[This message has been edited by jdb (edited 08-30-2000).]

Peabody Theatre
rev. 07.28.2000
post #4 of 10 Old 08-30-2000, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi jdb,
I think it is my ears that are adjusting. I think that I love to have deep bass in a movie, but I have noticed that at time is masks other nuances (kinda hard to explain).
The best way to explain I guess is :

a) When the system is calibarted to 75db , it is loud so form me so I turn down the volume, thus the bass drops off real fast.

b) I would turn up the bass, at the lover volume level, the bass then "overpowers" other fainter sounds.
However, when I have tested movies at the reference level the bass is more than enough.

Movies I love to test,
- The start of Tomorrow Never Dies opening scene.
- Jumanji - the library (You are suppose already start to feel the rumbling when Robin Williams say did you hear that)
- Air force One

Just a few....

clopez

[This message has been edited by clopez (edited 08-30-2000).]
post #5 of 10 Old 08-30-2000, 08:53 AM

I have 2 PSB Subsonic 3i's in my HT. I found the Yamaha approach to be the best for placing my subs. The first sub I located on the front left of my room on a 45 degree angle pointing towards the couch. The second sub I placed directly behind my couch and beside my rear center speaker pointing towards the screen. Listen and you be the judge.

Cheers,

Lee
post #6 of 10 Old 08-31-2000, 07:43 AM
jdb
AVS Special Member

Leer: You dont say where the "couch" is located. ie, against back wall, 2' from back wall, in the next room...Maybe thats a given in the Yamaha approach? Hmmmm

Clopez: With a 18" sub and the power to drive it, I dont wonder it's a bit touchy to adjust. I enjoy a strong low end myself, as this is very dramitic. But the thrill wears off and I am old, so now the Dinosaur stomps can be felt only two blocks away. Next week it will be one block. In time I will grow up and set the DB level to "Tastefully present".

The big crash in "Air force one" knocked my dentures out, jdb

Peabody Theatre
rev. 07.28.2000
post #7 of 10 Old 09-01-2000, 12:21 AM
TV
AVS Special Member

Putting the woof in a corner will tend to excite the maximum number of room modes possible...which will even out the response over a variety of seating positions. Also, you get the boundary gain associated with having the subwoofer close to 3 reflective boundaries.

Generally, the corner closest to the key seats works best, perferably a corner without nearby adjacent openings.

TV
post #8 of 10 Old 09-01-2000, 08:55 AM

Hi everyone. My sub placement is 12ft center back from my couch. The front sub is 16ft in front to the left corner pointed towards the couch. The front sub is usually tuned 25% higher then the rear.

Thank-You

Lee
post #9 of 10 Old 09-01-2000, 09:08 AM

I forgot about the back and front wall distance. In the rear the sub is 1 ft from the wall. It stands on a platform which raises the sub 8" off the ground. The front left is also 1ft from the wall on ground level at 45 degree angle pointing towards the seating area. The two couches are also platform raised 5" fron the ground. The front sub sweeps your feet and the rear blows the back of your head off when reclined. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

Thank-You

Lee

post #10 of 10 Old 09-02-2000, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Leer,

You are crazy man, crazy I say ...... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

My wife, who has gotten into HT, wanted me to buy another 18" sub because she read that it would smooth out the bass respone, God I love this woman. Yet she sometimes claim that on the second floor she can feel the bass from basement.
Was that an earthquake.....?
clopez

[This message has been edited by clopez (edited 09-02-2000).]
Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page