Help, neighbors phone screwing with TV! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-02-2000, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have a Toshiba 27" Cinema Series set and I hear this annoying clicking sound whenever my downstairs neighbor is talking on the phone. I'm assuming it's a cordless phone he's talking on, or it may be a cell. And this noise is only heard when he is talking, not just on the line, so it's the act of his phone sending a signal to it's base station that causes this clicking sound not just his phone being on.

I'm pretty sure it's not due to any of my cables picking up a signal since the other night I got behind my set and unplugged every single input source including the cable TV line and still heard the clicking sound. I used to have my TV and a few other components plugged into an APC surge strip. On Sunday I went out and bought a Monster Cable HTS2000 power strip. I though it had solved my problem but it didn't, although it did seem to help a bit, the clicking is still there.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I will try using a higher order Monster Cable product in addition to trying a Panamx 1500. I bought the HTS2000 since Good Guys was the only A/V store open after 6pm on Sunday when I got the idea to try a better strip. I also have an APC UPS unit. I will try that to see if the problem is an airborne one or something coming through the power line. But I don't know how long a 27" TV will run on battery power, of course I will only unplug the UPS when the tool that lives below me is on the phone.

I'm trying to avoid any contact with the jerk that lives below me, he's a jerk for reasons other than interupting my TV/movie watching. But one solution may be buying him a decent cordless phone. But I'd rather spend several hundred dollars protecting my own equipment. Besides I've been meaning to buy some better power protection for my growing A/V gear.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Jason

Live TiVo and prosper!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-03-2000, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Tell Mr. Jerk that his conversations are being being picked up on your TV and that if he values his privacy he should get a digital phone.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-03-2000, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You might try running an extension cord to different outlets. It may be that his phone is plugged into an outlet on the same circuit as your set and possibly another outlet could be on a totaly different circuit.

That would be the cheapest fix. If it is an a/c problem you may have to spend quite a bit to filter the problem. In fact it might be cheaper to try another TV that might not be as succeptible to the problem than purchasing a $995 psaudio or comparable high end power filtering device.

If you find that the UPS doesn't work and the Tv cord is picking something up in the airwaves you might try wrapping the power cord with something from www.lessemf.com/

Phil
post #4 of 4 Old 02-03-2000, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Unfortunately, this will almost certainly be your problem to solve. Assuming that the phone is compliant with the relevant regulations (virtually certain for a consumer device) your equipment will be found to be in violation of the FCC regulations saying that it must "accept" this interference and operate normally. To the extent that it does not do this, the FCC will tell you it is defective, and your nieghbor does not have any obligation to do anything. Technically, they are correct, your new TV should reject these out-of-band signals. However, from your description, the set itself is receiving the clicks, and probably directly, and not over the cable or powwer line. Since you hear clicks and not an actual conversation, your nieghbor probably has a digital not an analog phone already. You could:

a) Complain to Toshiba about the set's inability to reject interference (a sstrong position, the set is at fault)

b) Buy your nieghbor a new cordless phone in a different frequency band, which might or might not fix the problem

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page