post #361 of 1278 Old 03-22-2007, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post

One note that might be of interest. the trampoline screen design cost about about $50 and took 2 hours to completely set up.

Joe

Joe,

I like your design and for ease of set up and price its pretty tough to beat but I'm looking at getting something custom built from a welder friend of mine that will be a bit more "heavy duty" . If my friend doesn't come through with something that works I may end up trying your way at some point

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1278 Old 03-22-2007, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoOiler View Post

YEAH, its not a big store. Its by yellowhead. I had never heard of it before either. Now I wont go anywhere else.

Calvin on a side note I am going to start some drywll this weekend, do I have to do anything to the studs before putting the drywall up? Caulking? anything like that?

I have started all my coax cable running. Just trying to make sure i have all basis covered before it all gets covered in. Electrical will have to wait till my buddy gets back from Phoenix, (hes an electrician). also tomorrow is my last day at my old job, i am so excited, it may make me speed up finishing the room. hahahah

Ryan

Ryan,

I'll have to check that store out.

For drywalling you can go as simple or all out depends on your timeframe and budget. There is a ton of info here on the forum about green goo and decoupling walls etc if you do a quick search. For myself I just did insulation and standard 1/2 drywall as outlined in the thread nothing special but as my house is very insulated throughout it should be enough (I hope).
Looking forward to seeing how your room shapes up now that you have some time off should it start coming together quickly.

Cheers
post #363 of 1278 Old 03-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Naw, start my new job on monday. But its about 45mins closer to home. More time in the evening to work..hahah. Yeah my house is from 1977 but everything in the house is double 3/8 drywall and sound upstairs is pretty guiet right now with no sound blocking,,so I am just doing the insulation and 1/2" as well. Since my room was getting more expensive by the minute i have to save a bit of cash somewhere. New proj..smx screen, new reciever (didnt plan on) . PM me and I will tell you what i paid for the receiver.

Ryan

IM FINALLY FINISHED...(WELL ALMOST)

THE PITT CONSTRUCTION THREAD
post #364 of 1278 Old 03-23-2007, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
If I was starting from scratch I would have done the double dry wall with green glue as a minimum. That will allow you to enjoy movies late at night when the house is sleeping. Luckly my HT is far enough away when my wife sleeps it dosen't disturb her.I have three windows behind the second row "main" seating. I can here loud sounds aircraft,loud trucks from time to time from outside the house.

If you sound proof the room you will block all of that out as well ! Either way you go you are way ahead of most people just having a nice dedicated space for you and your family to have a theater in !

Calvin can't wait to see updated pictures of your home and theaters ! Very impressive that all will be free and clear in 5 years ! Johnathan

I'm the "Thread Cooler" ! When I post that usually kills interest in the thread.

See my Den to HT conversion thread !
post #365 of 1278 Old 03-23-2007, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah I am ok with sound as well. The bedrooms are 2 floors up and all of the existing house is double drywalled so sound is really good throughout the house. I am insulating the ceiling of the theatre as well as walls. All walls connecting with other rooms are double walled so I am ok with that. I am not going for full on soundproofing and I dont really watch anything overly load at home anyways. Even after all this is built I am and always will be "going out to the movies" guy. Its not the same at home.

Thanks for all the info

Ryan

post #366 of 1278 Old 03-23-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the posts as always guys I'll PM you (Ryan) about that receiver I'm always interested in a deal
I'm not to worried about sound so far but I also haven't heard everything hooked up yet and I have some serious equipment downstairs so I might have not put enough into it (on the other hand I don't stay up all hours of the night anymore either and my wife and I usually are in bed around the same time so until I have kids and they become teenagers I may not have an issue)

Some updates from today.

The Blue LED's are installed but I forgot to take pics, The subs in the riser are installed and the carpet has been delivered. I'm hoping I can line up the carpet installers for this weekend and get that piece of the puzzle finished off. I hope to start work on the rack area tomorrow but I still don't have the damn AV rack which I really wanted before I go to crazy building forms downstairs to house the unit (no idea where it is but I hope to see it tomorrow or Monday)

Chris from Connect AV stopped by today and we finally set up the LCD which was good so that is one more thing checked off the list. He sadly didn't have the new distribution panel so no internet yet at home (still typing this from my old house across town).

Here are the pics from todays progress. One thing to note is that I actually made an error I didn't even think about until we set the TV and that was that I originally planned for a 42" and then bought the 46" this caused some problems and as such I'm going to have to have a welder friend of mine make an extension to the PDR mount so I have more then 2 bolts holding the TV in place. It should have 4 but I could only fit 2 due to the increase in size (unless I wanted to cover up 1/2 of my center channel which I didn't). I'm still confident in the strength of the PDR mount even with 2 though and I've decided to leave it as is until I get the new piece made and then I'll take it down and put it back up with extra 2 bolts in place giving it even more support Right now I just don't swing it wildly around but pull it out gently as it's not as supported as I'd like but it is still safe.

Taking the stuff out of the boxes at last (you may notice the proficient Sub is installed now as well we did that before putting the LCD up )

Chris mounting bracket to studs and 1" plywood sheet.

After Chris and I lifted the unit into place he checks to ensure there are no issues with the mount and measures out the cables needed.

My picture of the cable management didn't turn out so good sadly but the PDR mount actually is very slick how its set up it is a very clean install. I'll try to get a picture of that later this weekend.

A pic of the unit in action (pitch black via the XA1 downstairs 30' away through the conduit)

Hopefully more to follow soon as my weekend whirlwind "fix it up" session continues. (I had the spa jaccuzzi, toilet and water softener all fixed today as well as some cabinet issues so I'm doing just as much construction management at home as I do at work this weekend).

Cheers
post #367 of 1278 Old 03-24-2007, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Wow
Calvin what a nice clean install on your TV ! Very nice. Johnathan

I'm the "Thread Cooler" ! When I post that usually kills interest in the thread.

See my Den to HT conversion thread !
post #368 of 1278 Old 03-24-2007, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Johnathan I'm pretty pleased with the results here are a few pictures with the cabling I didn't get around to posting last time.

A couple of pictures of the unit pulled out with a movie playing.

We ended up putting around a 5 or 10 degree angle on the LCD so that it tilts down and gives a better picture for the sectional seating in the living room.

I ended up taking the day off and went to the "home show" with the wife instead of working on the HT so I'm hoping to get some work done tomorrow.

Cheers
post #369 of 1278 Old 03-26-2007, 06:14 AM

Very neat install. It's surely coming along. Great job!!!

---Home Theater & Interior Designer at Pierreji.com---
post #370 of 1278 Old 03-26-2007, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks AngelaC I'm pretty happy with the work done so far.

I didn't end up getting my AV rack delivered or the carpet installed (but its in the basement waiting now )

The only thing I ended up doing yesterday was swapping out the center channel in the bonus room HT so I could fit it in the stand. The much larger and more expensive Nuance center is now living at my brothers house and I've gone to the slim line missions (the center matches my rear speakers not ideal but I can live with it).

Cheers
post #371 of 1278 Old 03-26-2007, 10:57 PM

calv1n is my new hero.....I am up for adoption if you dont mind a 30yr old son..lol.I cant wait to see the finished product.I have been through so many peoples HT in the last couple weeks that my brain is turning to mush..
post #372 of 1278 Old 03-27-2007, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the kind words gilham1 definitely lots to see here on AVS. There are some of the most amazing set ups in the world here, many of which gave me the motivation and ideas you see used in my set ups.

Cheers

(ps. I'll run the adoption thing past my wife but as she's only 27 herself she may balk at having a new son that is 3 yrs her senior )
post #373 of 1278 Old 03-27-2007, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I'd almost forgotten to post about my Blue LED's I had purchased for the basement HT.
I installed them this weekend to see how they would work out.

If you click on the picture to enlarge it you may just see the little blue light - this pic is from about 12' to 15' back so you can see the light is very dim.

I wasn't overly impressed with them. They are too dim to use IMO I'll have to go back to the drawing board and find a brighter source. The blue does match the chair cupholders nicely but its just to dim You can barely see them and they do little if anything to light the stairs as I had hoped.

I had thought the entire LED range would light up but it appears that only the center "pin" does which I'm not sure is the way they are designed. I'm planning on calling the company I bought them from to see what my alternatives are.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts for me ...?

Thanks
Calvin
post #374 of 1278 Old 03-27-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

That's really surprising. Both Ruben and I at first bought the cheaper non-LED blue lights and switched to the dimmable LED blue lights because the originals were not bright enough. The LED lights are definately bright. I actually keep them dimmed at about 70%.

I think I have some pcs of both sets of lights when they were up. I will try and upload them. But first I need to find that stupid cable that connects my camera to the PC.

Joe

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #375 of 1278 Old 03-27-2007, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Joe,

Thanks for that I'd appreciate seeing what your using vs what I currently have as what I have isn't doing the job at all.

My LED's look just like this one but the only blue light that is emitted is from the center pin only.

I'm wondering if the lights I have are working correctly? In the photos on the website it appeared to me that all of the "pins" should be lighting up

Thanks for any help.
Cheers
Calvin
post #376 of 1278 Old 03-27-2007, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

If only the middle is lighting up, then something's wrong. Either it's broken, or it's set to "maximum dimness."

Quote:

she may balk at having a new son that is 3 yrs her senior

Or maybe that's just what she craves... :-)
post #377 of 1278 Old 03-28-2007, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Jwatte I thought they must be defective bulbs now I'm sure they are. I don't think they are set to any level as my set up currently only does "on" or "off" I haven't added a dimmer switch or level of any kind yet.

I'll have to call or e-mail the seller and see if he can send me 2 new bulbs.

Cheers
Calvin
post #378 of 1278 Old 03-29-2007, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Update.

The wife just called and the AV rack has finally arrived. Its in my garage now waiting till I get home next weekend. I can finally get going on finishing up the basement HT

Now if I can get my screen frame ordered and built things will really start to come together down there.

Cheers
post #379 of 1278 Old 03-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Calvin, great thread, lots of good ideas, thanks!
post #380 of 1278 Old 03-29-2007, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks erandmckay. I checked out your thread as well today its coming along nicely. In some ways I'm jealous as you get to do and pay attention to every detail but in other ways its kind of nice to just come home and see that the work is done and in most cases according to your plan. I'm getting ready to tackle the last 2 big hurdles, the building and installing of the AV rack and the screen once those are done I have a small carpet install on the riser and just a few touch ups (like painting the speaker grills) and my basement HT is all done and I can actually start enjoying the darn thing after 2 years of planning and building.
post #381 of 1278 Old 03-29-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by calv1n View Post

............... I'm getting ready to tackle the last 2 big hurdles, the building and installing of the AV rack and the screen once those are done I have a small carpet install on the riser and just a few touch ups (like painting the speaker grills) and my basement HT is all done and I can actually start enjoying the darn thing after 2 years of planning and building.

Cal, I know you mentioned it before but what screen are you planning on using? Also, I think you said earlier that your tentative deadline was somtime in April. Looks like you just might make it
post #382 of 1278 Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

Cal, I know you mentioned it before but what screen are you planning on using? Also, I think you said earlier that your tentative deadline was somtime in April. Looks like you just might make it

Javry,

Long time no post nice to see you back visiting the thread. I'm planning on using "Sandmans" SMX fabric for a 138" diagonal 16:9 acoustical transparent screen. I had originally contacted a welder friend to help me make the 118" x 67.25" frame but I just found out today that he will be to busy to help me make it. I'm looking at plan B right now which is the pro stretcher canvas bars with some corner braces which have been used pretty effectively by a few people on the smx forums. I'm getting a quote from a states side company in a day or two and will likely order it this week and then hopefully have it 7 to 10 business days after that. This unfortunately will be pushing things back to likely the April 21st weekend for me to finish up the basement HT and actually watch my 1st movie downstairs in the 99% complete HT.
Still not so far off if I get all the work done I need to when I'm back home in a week or so.

Cheers
post #383 of 1278 Old 03-29-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

sounds exciting Cal! If it turns out that you have to take longer to get things sorted than planned, I'll offer my old soap-box saying..... "Better late and right than early and wrong".
post #384 of 1278 Old 03-29-2007, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Javry. That is some good advice I aim to take
post #385 of 1278 Old 03-30-2007, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Calvin, let me know where you are getting those things, I may order some as well. My screen is being shipped out today.

Ryan

post #386 of 1278 Old 03-30-2007, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Ryan,

I'm just waiting to hear back from them which I hope to either today or Monday (not sure if they work the weekends?). I'll let you know how much it works out to with shipping to Edmonton. The screen frame itself is not to bad I think the breakdown is around $160 for the frames, $20 (x2) for the 2 sets of steel corner braces, $20 for the set of 4 best key corner system pkg and around $20 for the mid grade canvas stretching pliers (they wanted $90 for the high grade but I'm doing 1 screen so I passed). All told your looking at around $240 US dollars + Shipping and an hour or so of your time for a 138" screen which is pretty good.
The shipping may be more then the screen though so not sure yet if I'm going to order from them yet or not. If the shipping is outrageous I may just source them locally through one of the 5 or so local art supply dealers in Edmonton and have them special order these items for me as I'm sure they will get them delivered for much less, but then charge a bit more for the materials.
I'll post the details once I get more info back from the supplier on the shipping and time frame from the factory to my door.
I'll still have to source some velvet trim and other odds and ends for the final touches but I'll have enough to at least get the video calibrated and the screen up.
Cheers
Calvin
post #387 of 1278 Old 03-30-2007, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Calvin -

Now I know where you came up with the idea you gave me about using an LCD mount for my speakers. Sneaky...very very sneaky

Installation looks great!

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #388 of 1278 Old 03-30-2007, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Jeff,

I was thinking more along the lines of the traditional CRT type of stands that come down from the ceiling and have a base that your speakers could sit on as they are cabinet style. Concept is the same though. Thanks for the visit and the post I'm pretty happy with the job so far its starting to come together. I will have some big updates next weekend when I'm back at home I hope (with pics).

Cheers
Calvin
post #389 of 1278 Old 03-31-2007, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I spent some time on the phone with John at DD electronics today. Seems like a pretty decent fellow willing to deal (which I like I'm a horse trader in a past life I think).
I pretty sure I'll be picking up a Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS and two Harmony 880 remotes when I get back into town from him. (I have the 890 for the basement and a 600 series for the living room I want to replace anyways so I may as well just grab a couple 880's as I like the harmony's and I'm familiar with their programming and set up).

I decided on the 82 as it has the upscaling which the 81 lacks and I want that for the 71" 1080P set in the bonus room HT.

Should be another good weekend for buying and setting up toys

The future wife has informed me the blinds are almost in (still missing 1) so I'm hoping to see how they work out in diminishing the glare with the LCD in the living room along with hopefully getting all the speakers systems in the livingroom and basement HT up and running. I'm pretty excited to finally hear the ceiling and in-wall speakers after all this time (sure hope they live up to my expectations).

Cheers
Calvin
post #390 of 1278 Old 03-31-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
have you got the riser subs going would like some more info on this

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Speaker Systems , Yamaha , Receivers Amplifiers , Toshiba 61h70 61 Inch Hdtv Ready Projection Tv , Toshiba
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page