post #61 of 1278 Old 09-01-2006, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makomachine View Post

Be sure and let us know what you think of the chairs after you get them. I'm strongly considering these as well - like the narrow footprint but tall back. I'm sure they'll be great, but I'd be curious what you thought of them compared to the 090's for instance.

You bet I'll take some photos and give my thoughts once they show up. I'm not sure I'll be able to wait till I get into the new HT before taking out at least 1 of the chairs to "test"
I liked the fact that I could do a row of 4 and still have the width at 125" vs the 075 which would have been 142". My room isn't huge and with the fireplace in the corner by the 1st row I need to make sure I have some space there.

That and the fact my wifes approval rating was much higher with them then the 075 series sealed the deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1278 Old 09-02-2006, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Now that I've ordered my seating I'm taking a real hard look at how I have to set up the basement HT.
I'm starting to wonder if my original plan will still work. I certainly can get close but I'm not sure if I still want to put the 2 PC's in the back of the room or put them with the network Printer/scanner/fax/ copier into the spare room and just make that a small office similar to what I have in my current home.

Here is Layout #1

(click to enlarge)

The Pros to this Layout are:
PC's are in the Games and HT room allowing for more interaction in a LAN environment in online gaming situations.
Allows me to write of a portion of the larger room in taxes as office space

Cons:
1st row is pretty close to the screen
1st row chair is very close to fireplace (I don't need it or plan on using it for heating but none the less it's very close)
Room will look very busy and crowded with the PC stations so close to the riser and 2nd row.
I have to build steps in the riser to access the spare room.
only 1 floor plug so I'll have to run a powerbar into the riser to pick up the 2nd row (not a huge issue but still a con compared to plan #2)

Here is Layout # 2

(Click to Enlarge)

Pros to this set up are:

Room looks more like a dedicated theater space.
Riser doesn't need steps and I don't have to worry about the doorways and the riser.
Both sets of chairs are further back allowing me to go larger with the screen and not having to worry about the 1st row been to close.
I have 3 plug ins I can use for the HT seats - 1 in the floor and 2 in the wall.
1st row chair is a much safer distance from the corner fireplace.

Cons:
PC's are stuffed into the much smaller adjoining room
Office space is much smaller from a company write off perspective.

Option # 3 is to just use one row in the basement and use the remaining seating in the upstairs bonus room HT. decisions, decisions....

The drawing are very close to scale I think I don' t have my exact dimensions for the interior walls or the desks though so they are educated guesses.

Let me know what you think I'm not sure which Plan to go with now.
Along with the 2 row issue I'm still fighting with best locations for the inwall speakers, subs and sconces as well. This room is far from ideal with the doors it has.

My next house will have one way in and out of the HT just one door. That is it!

Let me know if you have anything suggestions or anymore pros & cons, speaker and sconce placement ideas etc....

Thanks
post #63 of 1278 Old 09-03-2006, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Update:

Still hoping for some responses on post # 62

So far everyone I've discussed it with seems to like Option # 2 more so that is the way I'm leaning. I may just move one of the PC stations out of the spare room in option# 2 and place it up at the landing by the bonus room upstairs on the 2nd floor.

I had a few more deliveries (still not any of the 4 missing boxes from Fed Ex I'm thinking those may be lost forever )

I had the wife taking photos and that is not her strong point but as I'm not home for 5 more days this will have to do.

- Click on the photos to enlarge them-

Here is the new box and movie that showed up yesterday !

The box is the HD-DVD XA1 I've been waiting for !

Opening the box it looks exactly like the A1 did.

The main differences are the RS-232 port, the powered bezel and better "feet" that the larger heavier unit sits on.
Here is the back panel (sorry for the blurry shot - wife didn't use the flash or timer)

The front bezel is also power and is a nice thicker silver panel compared to the A1

And here is a close up shot of the anti -vibration "feet" or pads on the XA1 which are also a step up from the ones used on the A1.

Here is the 2nd package which my wife hasn't quite captured in the photo the way I had hoped.
What your looking at is my new 50' M1-DA to HDMI cable for my 333 infocus to the HD-DVD player.

More to follow soon.
post #64 of 1278 Old 09-03-2006, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Here is a shot of Option # 3.

Right now this is looking like my best alternative but I still have a month or two to come up with a final plan. I'm thinking I will need to tweak option # 2 or # 3 before I finally come up with the final layout.

Anyone who has any thoughts or ideas let me know
post #65 of 1278 Old 09-04-2006, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Updated.

I found a screen capture program which does a much better job of showing the plans so I'm resubmitting the options in a better fuller view. These are very close as far as to scale in what will be the final builds and potential set ups.

Please pay particular attention to my speaker, subs and sconce locations as those are the areas where I seem to be trying to find a happy middle ground of "space where it can actually be installed" vs "best acoustic placement I can think of it that it will fit". The sconces I just placed where I thought they wouldn't conflict with the screen. I may use the entire screen wall so I didn't want to put them in the 1st 12 feet from the screen so they don't take away or distract from the image.

ok once again Option #1

Option # 2

Option # 3

Option # 4 and this is really something I can do with any of the options above. I'm just continuing the wall over the spare room door and moving the door and access to the room through the washroom (just throwing it out there probably better for sound but a pain in the arse for getting in and out of that room especially if anyone is in the bathroom.

Anyways any input you may have is appreciated I'm thinking I'm at the point right now I've been looking so hard for a solution I may have forgotten the problem I was trying to solve in the 1st place

Just a reminder as well I've been getting a few PM's on the new "Adagio" chairs I'm purchasing I will certainly take at least one out and set it up to test it for everyone on the forum as soon as it arrives to give my impressions. I can compare it to my custom italian leather set which I'm using in the main HT. I have the recliner downstairs and I'm using that right now. It is a pricey high end chair (even though its a manual recline) so I should be able to do a pretty good comparison of the two having them side by side. The retail on the leather chair I'm using right now (and pictured in the thread post # 5) is around $2000.00 cdn.

Thanks for visiting my thread and a special thanks to those of you that leave comments and opinions - This is my 1st HT from the ground up and to do 3 at once is a little over bearing even if I'm just the guy doing the planning.

Cheers
post #66 of 1278 Old 09-08-2006, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I have a chance to do a side by side on the A1 and XA1 so I figured I'd post a few pics for anyone interested. Click to Enlarge all of the photos

Here are the units stacked together the XA1 is on the bottom

Here is a shot of the back inputs with the RS-232 port been the only difference between the players.

Here they are powered up. I prefer the XA1 blue lights and larger silver door but others will probably prefer the muted A1's exterior.

Here is a shot of both units with the trays open. On the XA1 there is a powered door that swivels down and reveals the tray and operation buttons.

A shot of the remotes side by side. They have the same amount of buttons but the all of the buttons do things for the XA1 such as back-lighting which is not labeled and does nothing on the #237 model remote used for the A1

A shot of the AX1 back lit remote in the dark (the remotes are still side by side so you can see the back lighting doesn't give you enough light to see anything other the buttons themselves.)

Here is a shot of the SD movie Poseidon I rented. This is at 1080i on the XA1 using the new 50' M1-DA to HDMI cable I picked up.

If you have any questions regarding either unit let me know
post #67 of 1278 Old 09-10-2006, 11:31 PM

Liked: 10
Personally I prefer the versions without that first row being so close to the screen. People might get a bit dizzy...

I bought the A1 - these are beefy units. And a bit loud. But the picture quality is pretty remarkable, even using SD upconverted onto the beige textured wall.
post #68 of 1278 Old 09-12-2006, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmtb View Post

Personally I prefer the versions without that first row being so close to the screen. People might get a bit dizzy...

I bought the A1 - these are beefy units. And a bit loud. But the picture quality is pretty remarkable, even using SD upconverted onto the beige textured wall.

ginmtb,

Thanks for stopping by. I agree with you on the seating I've decided to go with option # 3 as it seems to work best with what I'm trying to accomplish. My wife didn't want to lose the spare room bed so I decided to move the 2nd PC station upstairs to the landing by the bonus room which will still give us the 4th bedroom available downstairs next to the basement HT

I'm quite impressed with both the A1 and the XA1 I think I'll keep both and utilize them in the upstairs and basement HT rooms.
Photo bucket is down for maintenance but I do have some new photos coming soon from the work done this weekend.
Cheers
post #69 of 1278 Old 09-13-2006, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Update- Photo bucket is back up so I have some photos -

Had a busy weekend at the house. I ended up there up on Saturday and Sunday insulating (sound proofing) my interior walls as the contractor doing my exterior walls was to busy.
He wasn't interested in the extra work or the extra money sadly so I was off to the store with my brother who stopped by to help me do the job,

I used a special kind of acoustic batt which is supposed to be superior for sound proofing over regular insulation.
I also tried a higher grade sound proofing insulation (green stuff) on the mechanical wall but it was a real pain to work with and I ended up just using the one bag and then stuck with the pink stuff after that.

(Click to Enlarge All Photos)

Kitchen and mechanical wall.

Main Entrance.

Bathroom Upstairs:

Walk In closet master bedroom

Spare Room

Master Bedroom South Wall

Master Bedroom North Wall

Master Bedroom Shower - We haven't insulated this wall completely yet as the shower is incomplete and 4 more jets have to be installed yet.

Looking out of Master bedroom towards Bonus Room:

Laundry Room:

Wasn't a lot of fun and I have to go back and do it all over again downstairs once they finish framing the basement. Although it was a pain in the butt it will be well worth it With the 3 home theaters this may be the only way my future children will get any sleep.

Cheers
post #70 of 1278 Old 09-14-2006, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Your project is coming along nicely. I'm anxious to see it all put together!
post #71 of 1278 Old 09-14-2006, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

Your project is coming along nicely. I'm anxious to see it all put together!

Neuner,

Thanks for stopping by and the encouraging words. I'm looking forward to getting it all put together as well but I have some ducting concerns that have recently popped up that I'll be posting soon. Once I either live with the hand that been dealt to me or get another delay and a work around I may finally get some drywall in the home.

Cheers
post #72 of 1278 Old 09-14-2006, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

If your ducts are in the way, you can just move them like I did.... It worked out great. My ceiling heights are really low, so having ductwork in the way wasn't going to fly. I moved it so they would snake along the wall.
post #73 of 1278 Old 09-14-2006, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Neuner,

Checked out your media room and it's wonderful what you've done with your space I'm looking forward to seeing your end result. My issues with the ducting are somewhat complex unfortunately. I'm building new in an insane market right now and my builder is hell bent on getting my house finished ASAP. I requested the ducting run a certain way to minimize impact but sadly my request wasn't followed for some reason. I'll be arguing with my builder over this point on my next days off but it will likely cost me more to have it moved the way I originally requested and it will also likely delay the building schedule so this won't be an easy fight. I'm at the point where I would like to tell them to just refund the $40,000 I paid to finish the basement and just redo it myself but then it will be a year or two before I get it finished as I only have 8 days a month off (and in the same city as my home). Pretty frustrating on my end that is for sure.

Here are some photos to describe my situation. (click to enlarge photos)

This is what I asked for them to do:

This is what they've done:

Here are some photos of the installation in the home:

To be continued next post as I have to many Pictures in this post
post #74 of 1278 Old 09-14-2006, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Above post continued:

From the photos above you can see my ceiling height which I was hoping to keep at a uniform 9' height will be dropped 8" to 12" by the long runs parallel to the beam support running the length of the room. This is why I wanted it taken over to the other side of the beam and ran through the spare room and bathroom. It appears they did it this way to put in the vents in the middle of the HT room but I think there must be a work around that will still work with my original plan.
Sadly to get a tin smith to come in and fix this would take several months as there is an extreme shortage of tradesmen in Alberta. The only reason I've gotten this done is because I've been on the waiting list by my builder which employees several companies as they do 300+ homes a year. For them and other builders they can get these tradesmen as they have them working year round solely for them but for an individual like myself it's a different story.

Due to those market factors I'll likely have to live with what I'm getting and the decision I will have to make likely will be to level the whole ceiling off at 8' or just the portion of the ceiling by the support beam where it drops

Any thoughts anyone? Or even better yet any tin smiths around Edmonton that want to come over and fix this mess for me ( I have $$ but not a lot of time )

Cheers
post #75 of 1278 Old 09-14-2006, 10:42 PM

Hey calvin,

That sucks about the vents being in the wrong place. Will your builder let you move them if you want to, are they correctly place on your copy of the blueprints? Will it add 2-3 months to the entire build or just delay finishing the basement? I had some similar types of problems in my house (stuff done wrong and then a crew quiting in the middle of their contract) and they ended up finishing the basement on a different schedule then the rest of the house. Only added a couple of weeks to my build as there were other scheduling conflicts in the upper house anyways. Sounds like you're building a place to live in and enjoy for many years to come, a few more months to get it exactly how you want it might be worth the wait.

Jeremy
post #76 of 1278 Old 09-15-2006, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwakaruk View Post

Hey calvin,

That sucks about the vents being in the wrong place. Will your builder let you move them if you want to, are they correctly place on your copy of the blueprints? Will it add 2-3 months to the entire build or just delay finishing the basement? I had some similar types of problems in my house (stuff done wrong and then a crew quiting in the middle of their contract) and they ended up finishing the basement on a different schedule then the rest of the house. Only added a couple of weeks to my build as there were other scheduling conflicts in the upper house anyways. Sounds like you're building a place to live in and enjoy for many years to come, a few more months to get it exactly how you want it might be worth the wait.

Hi Jwakaruk,

Thanks for stopping by. My intent was originally to live in this house for many years to come but that desire is starting to diminish daily as the builder and I can't seem to come to terms and agree on reasonable resolutions to problems. I've had several concerns lately the ducting just been one of them and they've just stonewalled me as far as getting it fixed to my satisfaction .
The ductwork, plumbing & electrical runs etc... are rarely every shown in blueprints in residential in my experience so I just went into the basement with the builders foreman and pointed out exactly what I wanted. He said it would be difficult and he would see what he could do - sadly this is what "he could do" I guess. I will be discussing this with them on Tuesday. The day that the sales guy is back at work as he is on vacation.
Currently anything that I do or change adds to the building schedule as they are rotating their limited tradesmen between the new builds. I'm sure any changes at this point will result in at least a 4 week delay. Sadly they won't do anything further with the home till the basement is framed as the insulators and drywaller's only want to come to the home once.
I also only have my % rate locked in till November 30 although it's unlikely they will finish by then it is possible if there are no more delays (I can't extend the rate either as it was already extended 2x sadly - my new rate is an increase of 0.25 % which works out to thousands of dollars more a year so It would be good to have this done in November if possible)
I'm tempted to just build a 20' x 30' stand alone in the backyard and just do a dedicated HT there in a separate building. Has a few problems logistically for heat and power but nothing money can't fix and then I won't have to deal with the builder BS.
I've been trying to get ahold of a tin smith in Edmonton but sadly it hasn't been a fruitful search the few I have been able to even get slightly interested in the job won't be able to even come and look at it for weeks and in some cases months.
I'll keep the thread updated with any news..
Cheers
post #77 of 1278 Old 09-17-2006, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Update Sept 17-06

My wife went into the home yesterday to get some updated photos for me here up at work.
It looks like the insulators were there and started some of the exterior work finally.

(click to enlarge all photos)

Here is the bonus room ceiling and walls (still some work to be done around the windows)

Here is a shot of the living room on the main floor.

Sadly they've done a pretty horrendous job of destroying my interior wall work it appears.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

This my upstairs bath filled with insulation (sound proofing) that was knocked out or removed from the work I did last weekend. I wrote the construction company today to address the issue and they better be putting it all back in place before they drywall over those interior walls

There were a lot more photos taken as well (not posted here) they have finished about 80% of the exterior insulation. They have some materials downstairs for the framing as well, my wife just commented on it but didn't take any photos.

More to come in a few days...

This issue combined with my ducting work I want redone isn't going to land me on their x-mas card list I think.
post #78 of 1278 Old 09-26-2006, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Update:

Been a crazy few days and I haven't done any updates in awhile. I'm still fighting with the builder over the basement and sadly it appears I'll likely have to live with the ducting run in the wrong location and move it after the fact or just work around it

Here are some updated shoots of the Main floor HT ready for Drywall and then speaker install. I'm still waiting for the reinforcement / bracing to go in above the fireplace that should be done in the next couple of weeks as well.

Ceiling speaker placement fronts

Ceiling speaker placement rears

I have more photos of the basement that I'll try to post in the near future showing recent changes there.

Cheers
post #79 of 1278 Old 09-27-2006, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Here are a few pictures from my last walk through on the weekend.
I met with the operations manager over the ducting and he is going to check with the furnace installers to see if they can accommodate me in moving the ducting as I requested (I'm not holding my breath though - I'm expecting them to leave it as is)

(click to enlarge all photos)

The SS hot water tank and water softener have been moved into position and my radiant installer is beginning the copper hook ups.

Close up

Walls going up in Spare room - You can see the run along the roof is getting boxed sadly not a good sign for something I want moved

Same area - different angle-

The front screen wall - this is sadly where it is very evident that the ducting run is not going to work with my original plan. The ducting run is a 4' x 1' rectangle that will be right in the way of my top right corner of my proposed screen

My options are to:
1- Have the ducting removed and placed on the other side of the support as I originally wanted - failing that I have choice #2

2 - Is lower and level off the roof under the ducting at 8' which I really don't want to do.

Not sure if there is an option #3 at this point ? I've thought about just removing the furnace and having a separate HVAC system put in but I will still need ducting and I'm not sure it will solve all of my issues. This would also have to be done after the fact sadly as the builder is not entertaining this idea at all.

On top of that disaster I had my 1st Xbox 360 die over the weekend - so I had to go pick up another unit on Saturday - hopefully this one last awhile longer and the 2nd one I have in camp doesn't blow up The only good thing was the replacement was $6 cheaper and I got a some free items with the replacement.

The wife will be going for another walk through on Sunday and will be sending me some photos to post - I'm interested to see what changes if any are in place.
post #80 of 1278 Old 09-27-2006, 09:34 AM

I know duct work is frustrating. I'm 6'6" and was well aware of the problems those runs can cause. We walked away from a lot of houses last summer just for that reason. l would stop fighting the duct issue and work with the builder as much as possible.

I would bet there are other considerations that had them place the ductwork where they did. Maybe you could just say, "OK, so I'm not happy with this, is there a reason you ran the duct work this way." You might be learn that they figured out the area of each room and the amount of airflow needed to keep the heating and cooling even through out the house. Perhaps one of those runs needs to go through an inside wall on the main floor to get to the 2nd story.

Don't sweat it. There are people here that have overcome much bigger hurdles than some duct work. The ceiling will still be 7'6" or better where the ductwork is even after they are framed up with the soffits, and drywalled.

Again, I don't think this is a deal breaker for you, just a challenge. My duct work doesn't cause much of a problem for me but I have a large air return in my media room. When the A\\C kicks on that thing can hit 75db. That is a problem I'm still dealing with...

You will still have an awesome HT i'm sure from the pics and the effort you are putting into it. Enjoy the time it takes to put the pieces together.

And did you see this...
Xbox 360 Repair
post #81 of 1278 Old 09-27-2006, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_pcguy View Post

I know duct work is frustrating. I'm 6'6" and was well aware of the problems those runs can cause. We walked away from a lot of houses last summer just for that reason. l would stop fighting the duct issue and work with the builder as much as possible.

I would bet there are other considerations that had them place the ductwork where they did. Maybe you could just say, "OK, so I'm not happy with this, is there a reason you ran the duct work this way." You might be learn that they figured out the area of each room and the amount of airflow needed to keep the heating and cooling even through out the house. Perhaps one of those runs needs to go through an inside wall on the main floor to get to the 2nd story.

Don't sweat it. There are people here that have overcome much bigger hurdles than some duct work. The ceiling will still be 7'6" or better where the ductwork is even after they are framed up with the soffits, and drywalled.

Again, I don't think this is a deal breaker for you, just a challenge. My duct work doesn't cause much of a problem for me but I have a large air return in my media room. When the A\\C kicks on that thing can hit 75db. That is a problem I'm still dealing with...

You will still have an awesome HT i'm sure from the pics and the effort you are putting into it. Enjoy the time it takes to put the pieces together.

And did you see this...
Xbox 360 Repair

Thanks for the thoughtful post am_pcguy

It's difficult for me sometimes as I'm a construction professional myself and when things like this ducting issue come up I get a little ticked.

When I first started with this builder I specifically asked for the ducting and electrical schematics and layouts - they had none and they said they would never have them as they just run them as they need to and would work with me when the time came. I ended spending an hour downstairs with the construction super going over what I wanted done and where the ducting needed to go.

He had told me he would do his best but to me it appears very little was done certainly not his best. I've looked at the layout and I've done the runs in my own mock ups what I'm asking for is entirely possible the reason it wasn't followed was to save on materials and just plain laziness or uncaring sadly. I'm not sure that they won't fix it but it does appear unlikely as they are just rushing to finish at this point. The furnace is only left in for the sole purpose of air movement as well as I suggested to them that I only need it for summer fan and they could use smaller ducting - I'm not an HVAC specialist but that does seem to be a plausible alternative but they didn't entertain the idea.

I'm thinking if they leave it as is the roof will likely be around 8' high which I guess is not the end of the world if they level it off at that height - my whole HT was planned around a 9' ceiling though so this will be problematic in other areas as well from PJ placement, screen size, seating and more

I'm hoping I can still salvage the HT at this point but things are definitely sliding off the rails - could be worse and I'm sure others have done fine with less but after 2 years of planning and building it frustrating to see this happen.

Thanks for the Xbox link - I had read up on that as well with my unit I was lucky though I bought it at Costco. After it blew up I just threw it in a bag and took it in they credited me the full amount of the original purchase and I just picked up a brand new one 10 minutes later for $6 less then the first one I bought. Gotta love Costco and their return policy - the reason I buy a lot of electronics there as things break and they take care of their customers.

Cheers
post #82 of 1278 Old 09-28-2006, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Update:

Talked to the operations manager today and they are not going to change the ducting sadly. I'm just moving forward with the rest of the construction at this point I may end up ripping it all out and redoing it myself once I take possession of the home but it going to stay until that happens. They did however commit to replacing my interior soundproofing which is nice as I wasn't even sure they were going to do that.
On a some what positive note the 4 boxes that I've been trying to have Fed Ex deliver for almost 8 weeks have finally shown up. I had to get the same order sent out 3 times as the first two went missing - the 3rd order here was sent out priority overnight and finally made it past Portland and Oakland where the other 2 didn't make it out of.
I asked the wife to take a few pictures so I could confirm that everything was there but they are not very good pictures I'll have to retake some of them and post them later -
Not great but here are a couple of the pics:

The wife will be doing another walk through on Saturday then again on Wednesday as they are really rushing the trades to finish up at this point and we don't want to miss anything or more importantly don't want them to miss anything

More to follow soon.
post #83 of 1278 Old 09-28-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calv1n View Post

Thanks for the thoughtful post am_pcguy

It's difficult for me sometimes as I'm a construction professional myself and when things like this ducting issue come up I get a little ticked.

Even after talking to the Operations Manager they wouldn't do anything about it? I would be yelling and screaming. You must definitely be a much nicer guy than I because I would make sure all progress stopped until they resolved it the way that I wanted and then let them know that they are behind schedule and if it's not completed on time, I'm not signing the final contract.

I too am a construction professional and know how some contractors will say one thing and do another. Sadly it's sometimes the only way to get their attention and respect for you, otherwise they'll do what they want. Setting an example is a huge milestone. It gets irritating having to watch them like kids to make sure they don't take all of their short cuts. I'm even in commercial building which isn't as bad as the residential market.
post #84 of 1278 Old 09-28-2006, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Even after talking to the Operations Manager they wouldn't do anything about it? I would be yelling and screaming. You must definitely be a much nicer guy than I because I would make sure all progress stopped until they resolved it the way that I wanted and then let them know that they are behind schedule and if it's not completed on time, I'm not signing the final contract.

I too am a construction professional and know how some contractors will say one thing and do another. Sadly it's sometimes the only way to get their attention and respect for you, otherwise they'll do what they want. Setting an example is a huge milestone. It gets irritating having to watch them like kids to make sure they don't take all of their short cuts. I'm even in commercial building which isn't as bad as the residential market.

Neuner thanks for the post. Sadly its a bit complicated we are in the middle of a tremendous boom right now and I mean tremendous. On the news last week we had people lining up overnight on lawn chairs for Condos to go on sale on the south side (these condos were $700,000 by the way ) the market is so insane that builders don't give a crap and they would love for me to walk away from the deal and let them sell the home as its appreciated almost $250,000 in value since I started building. The other option is kick them off and get another contractor to finish which is also nearly impossible as trades are so busy even people that own the companies doing the work are on a wait list.
Doing the work myself is an option but it would take forever with my work schedule.
I talked to several people including legal council regarding this issue (but your right I'm not a yelling and screaming type of guy just not my nature I find people fix it a little faster with understanding rather then contempt). I was basically told with the contract I've signed I have nothing in writing showing that they have to change or alter anything not already agreed upon in writing (in short I'm screwed for not getting them to agree to a ducting plan in writing prior to construction).
My best bet is to just make the most of it - fix it after the fact if it really bothers me (I will be looking into redoing that one ducting run once I'm in the home to see the costs and it's still likely I may alter it), sell the house and build another or just build a stand alone dedicated theater in the backyard - all of which are options I'm considering but I think I'll just see how it turns out for now as am_pcguy suggested.

Its a set back no doubt but I'll live
post #85 of 1278 Old 09-28-2006, 08:02 PM

Calvin,

It's too bad about your building problems. The market has become so crazy in this city. My buddy went to sign a deal with a reputable builder and they were offered a contract that didn't contain a final price. Basically the builders are covering every aspect with the contract wording so that they don't build houses at a loss with how fast the prices are rising here. I moved into my house 6 months ago with a 5% downpayment and a 20 year mortgage and now currently own 60% outright

On another note, I did purchase the Sanyo Z4 and a Da-Lite screen so the home theater demo at my place will be that much more fun in a couple of weeks once I get it all in place. PM me again if still interested in stopping by on one of your off weekends.

Talk to you latter,

Jeremy
post #86 of 1278 Old 09-29-2006, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwakaruk View Post

Calvin,

It's too bad about your building problems. The market has become so crazy in this city. My buddy went to sign a deal with a reputable builder and they were offered a contract that didn't contain a final price. Basically the builders are covering every aspect with the contract wording so that they don't build houses at a loss with how fast the prices are rising here. I moved into my house 6 months ago with a 5% downpayment and a 20 year mortgage and now currently own 60% outright

On another note, I did purchase the Sanyo Z4 and a Da-Lite screen so the home theater demo at my place will be that much more fun in a couple of weeks once I get it all in place. PM me again if still interested in stopping by on one of your off weekends.

Talk to you latter,

Thanks Jeremy,

The housing market is completely nuts up here my home is gaining in value so much that I could sell it and build two of the same houses with the profit somewhere out of Alberta easily. One of my friends building in the SW with another builder was told he had to pay $30K more or they weren't going to pour his basement and give his lot to another buyer. He didn't pay and they refunded his down payment - sold the lot to another person Suprized the government hasn't come in to regulate some of the price gouging going on in Edmonton and Calgary as its way past sensible now - houses are almost doubling in value in year and 1/2. Builders won't commit to a final price or a final end date and haven't for quite some time. I'm one of the lucky ones in that my home was started and signed off before this madness began. My price is locked in for the general and I only had a small increase to my Radiant install which was for materials and I'm not complaining considering I still got a great deal on almost 4000 sq ft (House and garage) of radiant floor heating even with increase.

You bet I'm still interested in coming over for a demo. It should even be better with your new system (I may have a hard time getting out of your house with the A1 now ). Congrats on the new PJ and screen you will be pretty happy with that combo and got a great deal on it (I remember what you paid ).
Looking forward to heading over sometime in October if not this set of days off I'll try for the next set mid October
post #87 of 1278 Old 09-29-2006, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The housing market is completely nuts up here my home is gaining in value so much that I could sell it and build two of the same houses with the profit somewhere out of Alberta easily.

All of this sounds like a great opportunity for a start up! I know you would have to bring in subs from quite a distance, but the per diem would easily be covered if they are worth that much! Buddy of mine is bringing in his own builders & material from other locations, selling a house a day & bringing in $800k a month!
post #88 of 1278 Old 09-29-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(but your right I'm not a yelling and screaming type of guy just not my nature I find people fix it a little faster with understanding rather then contempt)

I always approach a problem with an understanding of the other party, when they screw with me the first time, shame on them, when they screw with me a second time, shame on me - if you don't stand up to them at that point then your another push over. In that type of market I wouldn't want to be a buyer, I'd start up my own company and build.
post #89 of 1278 Old 09-29-2006, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I always approach a problem with an understanding of the other party, when they screw with me the first time, shame on them, when they screw with me a second time, shame on me - if you don't stand up to them at that point then your another push over. In that type of market I wouldn't want to be a buyer, I'd start up my own company and build.

Neuner,

Right you are it is most assuredly is a sellers market and buyers are getting a beating here no doubt. I'm just thankful I got in and locked in a price before things really got out of hand. I have no wish to start my own housing company I specialize in building gas & oil facilities and I'm paid very well and quite happy to continue in this line of work. I'm not sure the stress of dealing with building homes and putting up with irate home owners and subs would be good for my mental health
I do have a couple of coworkers that did take time off of work to build their own house and / or deal with the subs themselves on a daily basis (be their own general) and they've all said it was a huge mistake and headache to do it and give up their wages during the construction.
I think the lesson I've learned from this one is to plan every detail of the house and get everything in writing before starting the construction. Trust me if I had it in writing and it was done wrong this would be a different outcome but as it stands I'm stuck with the builders decision until I take possession.
I'm just moving on following the old proverb of "what can't be changed must be endured" If this is my biggest headache in life I'm still sitting in a pretty good place compared to most (have to put it in perspective ).
Thanks for the post as always.
Did you sell your home yet? I'll have to head over and check out your latest updates been a couple days since my last visit.
Cheers
post #90 of 1278 Old 09-29-2006, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Calvin -

Great work here! Sorry about your ducting problem. With the housing bubble bursting here in the US you would have had a lot more leverage with the builder to fix the issues.

I like option #3 too but how do you get into the office? It looks like the entrance is blocked by the chairs?

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Speaker Systems , Yamaha , Receivers Amplifiers , Toshiba 61h70 61 Inch Hdtv Ready Projection Tv , Toshiba
Gear in this thread - 61h70 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page