Forum Jump: 

post #1111 of 1278 Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by calv1n View Post

I still am planning to get some of those pictures up soon though and I'm hoping that Greg or his installers can work the loaned meter and get us some numbers to go with the pictures and then I'll do mine again once I change out the bulb to see how they compare on the "white sheet" vs the pictures.

I've fallen victim to the 99% complete theater syndrome. I've watched movies every night for the past week or so and have accomplished nothing. Hopefully by the weekend I can get things measured. I found the instructions, it just a matter of doing it (and finding my digital video essentials disk)

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1278 Old 10-19-2009, 10:41 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks again for holding that part for me Calvin. Nice chatting with you too, and I will definitely let you know if I go with the Panasonic 4000. I emailed Quebec Acoustics about availability and they said maybe by end of November but they will contact me. I am hoping the Canadian price is not too far off the US price.

I have also been doing a lot of research on building my own frame to take advantage of your spare SMX screen. Could you please let me know the exact material you have along with the spec gain? I still want to look into a frame from SMX but it's hard to beat the cost of a DIY frame!

Thanks.

post #1113 of 1278 Old 10-20-2009, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Greg,

No worries we've all been there Looking forward to your results once you do find the time and the ambition

Jason,

Hopefully the Panasonic 4000 is close to the US price but I guess we won't know until it hits the Canadian market. With the cdn $ sitting about 95 cents to the US $ though I'd expect them to be fairly close. I'm not sure what your budget it or how much just a frame is going for these days but hopefully you can swing a SMX frame they are far superior to any DIY I've seen (not to say you couldn't make one better though...but I know I couldn't). The gain is 1.06 or 1.16 on the SMX fabric it's the original SMX weave which you can find lots of info on here at AVS under Ruben (SandmanX) thread with a quick search or over at the SMX forums.

Cheers
Calvin
post #1114 of 1278 Old 10-20-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkb View Post

Thanks again for holding that part for me Calvin. Nice chatting with you too, and I will definitely let you know if I go with the Panasonic 4000. I emailed Quebec Acoustics about availability and they said maybe by end of November but they will contact me. I am hoping the Canadian price is not too far off the US price.

I have also been doing a lot of research on building my own frame to take advantage of your spare SMX screen. Could you please let me know the exact material you have along with the spec gain? I still want to look into a frame from SMX but it's hard to beat the cost of a DIY frame!

Thanks.

Usually the Canadian price is outrageously higher than the US pricing on Panasonic projectors. I have purchased 2 panasonic projectors from the US in the past because of this. The last one from Projector People. Their price was the best. Even if they end up shipping via UPS and you have to pay the insane brokerage it will still be many hundreds of dollars cheaper. If you find one in Canada for the same price as in the us (factoring in the dollar) please post the details.

The AE4000 looks nice but I've got an ax100 now and it is rated 2000 lumens and I'd like something brighter. I have a completely light controlled theater and I am not sure if I'd be happy with the 1600 lumens of the AE4000. The ax100 is a light canon out of the box but after a few hundred hours the bulb dims. My ax100 doesn't put out near as much as it did with the new bulb. I know if the AE400 was the same and then dimmer over time (even dimmer than my ax100 now) that I wouldn't be happy with it.
post #1115 of 1278 Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I bought a AE1000 from Quebec acoustics a few years back before the infocus very early on before moving in and working on the my current HT (way back in this thread). I can't remember the price exactly but I remember checking the US and comparing it with QA and it was reasonably close (of course the US dollar was a lot higher compared to the CDN then as well and I'm not sure how that factors into the equation as some vendors seem to ignore the current exchange rates). QA threw in a free bulb and I think Panasonic Canada only warranties the PJ if it was bought in Canada as well so that was the deciding factor for me to buy "local".

I noticed on the AE1000 at the time as well that the bulb dimmed quite a bit after only 400 or so hours unlike my Infocus which seems to be very strong throughout the entire life of the bulb.

As far as the router work, maybe? Do you have any pictures of some work you've done already?

Cheers
Calvin
post #1116 of 1278 Old 10-20-2009, 09:48 AM

I had to ship my ax100 to the states twice for warranty service. The second time was on them because they forgot to update the firmware. In Canada you'd still need to send it somewhere for service on your dime. It is kind of a pain but I saved over $600 on the purchase so it was well worth it. There just doesn't seem to be enough competition here in Canada for projector sales.

I sent you a PM regarding the cnc.

Brendin
post #1117 of 1278 Old 11-10-2009, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the post Brendin, I PM'd you back in regards to the router work.

Some news - I finally had the dry Waller from the builder finish up this week and I am getting a new painter in hopefully on Friday to repaint the walls that needed work as well as having him redo the entire HT room. I'm going to go a bit darker I think and I also want to paint the speaker grills the same as the walls so they blend in rather then stand out this time around. I'll have some before and after pics up as it gets going.

I also have a carpenter finally in to give me a quote on installing a solid core door with a threshold seal (amazing I know). I'm looking at a Pemco threshold seal right now as I need to get something that doesn't require a "plate" into a floor for the seal as I have the glycol tubing in the flooring I can't take the risk of driving into the floor and the rupturing the tubing (I could look at other fastening such as glues I suppose but right now I'm looking at just trying to get a "decent" seal to the carpet flooring rather then a perfect seal to specialized flooring plate. (I'll have to see how it works out...I'm not going for sound proof i'm just hoping to get some decent sound damping).

My bulb finally went on the 333 I had almost 2000 hours out of the last bulb which is the longest one ever since I've had the machine and the 4th or 5 I've traded out I think (hopefully the new one I just put in lasts as long).

Now that I have the new bulb in I'll have to get the light meter and do those measurements to see how a fresh bulb matches up to the JVC (once Greg finishes up with his testing).

And finally I took a few pics of the truck last night. I should have taken them during the day I guess they would have turned out much better but anyway here is the truck with the latest mods on (and winter set of rims or tires - I still have to figure out which chrome rims I want to go with next spring...right now I'm leaning towards the Zinik Z13 Lunia's).

More as it happens.

Cheers
Calvin
post #1118 of 1278 Old 11-12-2009, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The finishing carpenter came and went last night after completing the "trim" around the AV rack (they also finished off some work in the garage for me). I took a couple pictures I'll try and post up tonight early tomorrow before they come back and paint it up. I may get them to do another coat or two on the AV rack wall as well to polish up the room for the X-mas holidays.

More soon
Cheers
Calvin
post #1119 of 1278 Old 12-13-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I've been away for awhile. Just got back from Vegas where I was for a couple of weeks doing my part to stimulate the economy (in particular the Mandalay bay Texas hold em' and the MGM Grand black jack tables

We saw a few shows (Chris Angel, Steve Wyrick and the Phantom of the opera - I liked Steve's show the best but the Phantom's set and production is unreal) and I took a day off to fly down to the canyon take an aerial tour of the strip which was cool.
Here's a shot of me thinking about upgrading my titan to something with rotors!

Speaking of which here are a couple of day time shots which show the truck a lot better as well.

I'm going to be swapping out the window deflectors shown for the in channel ones next week for a cleaner look and then I'll order some new rims this spring and I'm all done with the truck. (just had a new winter text starter put in before heading to Vegas that I'll update to Lojack GPS technology once it's available as well).

Anyway... on to the reason for the post - the update. I've had the painters here all weekend as it's been to darn cold to do much else anyways. Yesterday they did most of the upstairs and today they started into the redo of the HT room on the lower level.

Some pics:

First we had to pull all the panels down and do some prep work.

This was the problem area - lots of prep work here.

Here we are getting started.

My contractor Corey is finishing up the install on the new UPS box he's built for the purpose of holding my UPS for the PJ all finished up.

Here is the box painted ready for the UPS to go in once we've finished up the room and waited for everything to dry.

These two photos do a good job of showing the color change and how much darker I'm going with the new paint compared to the lighter Grey of the old paint job. I'll have the speakers done in the same color to blend in rather then stand out this time around.

About 60% done at this point. We are all going to be back at it tomorrow to finish up by the end of the night just have some final painting around the screen wall and the AV rack area and trim before I work on getting that door area finally finished up.

Should have some final shots by the weekend once we get everything back installed and ready for movies again

I was just about to order a new JVC this week as well but now with the new LED's out I'm back on the fence.... I may just order another bulb for the 333 and see what happens over the next 6 to 12 months.... decisions, decisions...

More as it happens
Cheers
Calvin
post #1120 of 1278 Old 12-14-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:

I've been away for awhile. Just got back from Vegas where I was for a couple of weeks doing my part to stimulate the economy (in particular the Mandalay bay Texas hold em' and the MGM Grand black jack tables

A couple of weeks? Wow. 4 days was enough for me!
post #1121 of 1278 Old 12-14-2009, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuttman View Post

A couple of weeks? Wow. 4 days was enough for me!

Yes it's a long time to spend in Vegas but we have a place there so staying for extended periods doesn't cost anymore (other then the gambling) and my wife was running the marathon there which extended our stay for a few days as she booked the run after our original trip was planned. I hope you had better luck at the tables then I did

Cheers
Calvin
post #1122 of 1278 Old 12-15-2009, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Painters finished up 99% last night (they worked till 1 AM making me a tired guy today waking up for work at 5 AM). We'll be putting the screen back up and inserting the new painted screen grills tonight after work. I decided to go with a glossy deep black on the fireplace and the new trim around the AV cabinet to really make them stand out...see how it works out once it's all dry and cleaned up.

I should have some new shots up tomorrow or Thursday once the room has been put back in order.

Cheers
Calvin
post #1123 of 1278 Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Some updated shots. (all photos with flash)

The new AV rack trim - painted up. I went with a high gloss black on the AV rack and the fireplace as I wanted to "stand out" some from the rest of the room. I will still need to run a bead of black of silicone to finish it off with a clean look (hopefully I do a better job then I did last time )

Another look at the AV Rack from the other side with a bit of distance. Soon I should have a door going in the archway to separate the room and the rack.

A look at the room coming together just a few more panels to go in and you can see the new speakers blend in nicely compared to the old black paint I had originally used.

A look at the fireplace in the same gloss black that I did the AV Rack in. On top is my latest addition to the room as well. This spidey print I had painted up in Vegas on the strip and it's just been returned from the framers ready to mount...

A close up of the new Spiderman original I had made up in Vegas...now I just have to make up my mind on where to mount it...thinking the bathroom in the basement where I have the other print but perhaps above the fireplace might be a nice home as well...decisions, decisions...

More as it happens (should hopefully be the door and threshold seal next!)

Cheers
Calvin
post #1124 of 1278 Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hey Calvin,
Did you change the color of your theater walls? I seem to remember dark green walls with black trim. BTW, your decision to hold off on the PJ is probably a wise one.
post #1125 of 1278 Old 12-19-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

BTW,
How's the weather in Edmonton these days?
post #1126 of 1278 Old 12-19-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

BTW,
How's the weather in Edmonton these days?

Today we had 0'C, toasty warm compared to earlier in the week!
post #1127 of 1278 Old 12-19-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:

This spidey print I had painted up in Vegas on the strip and it's just been returned from the framers ready to mount...

A close up of the new Spiderman original I had made up in Vegas...now I just have to make up my mind on where to mount it...thinking the bathroom in the basement where I have the other print but perhaps above the fireplace might be a nice home as well...decisions, decisions...

Cheers
Calvin

Hey Calvin, nice addition to the room. If you don't mind me asking where in Vegas did you get this done and how much did it run you(you can PM me the details if you want)?

Thanks
post #1128 of 1278 Old 12-19-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

Hey Calvin,
Did you change the color of your theater walls? I seem to remember dark green walls with black trim. BTW, your decision to hold off on the PJ is probably a wise one.

Hello Javry my friend. Hope things are going well for you in your neck of the woods

I used to have the walls a lighter grey with the same trim. I ended up taking the same paint and adding 4 or 5 drops of black paint to the mix to darken it up. The photos don't really do it justice it is really much darker then before. The photos above for the most apart are with flash and really don't show the true color. It's dark!

This photo does a good job of showing the difference between the old and new and just how much darker I went (if anything the paint is even darker then in this photo as they did 3 coats and it's dried a bit darker then this photo.

As far as the PJ I think I'm going to order another bulb and see what happens in the next 6 to 12 months. For now the 333 is still pretty solid and it's going to be tough to settle for anything that can't give me 1000+ calibrated lumen's I think...

Cheers
Calvin
post #1129 of 1278 Old 12-19-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.master.dre View Post

Today we had 0'C, toasty warm compared to earlier in the week!

Thanks for the post Jedi. Javry it's been ok the last couple of days but we still have to get through Jan and Feb which traditionally are the coldest months here
post #1130 of 1278 Old 12-19-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenish03 View Post

Hey Calvin, nice addition to the room. If you don't mind me asking where in Vegas did you get this done and how much did it run you(you can PM me the details if you want)?

Thanks

thenish03,

I picked it up on the strip. A young guy was spray painting like a mad demon and I watched him (incredible to watch the guy was unbelievably talented he pumped out the pictures in 10 to 15 minutes that look amazing). After watching him for a bit I asked him if he could do anything movie related and he said "I do a spider man" So I had him do it for me and I'm very pleased with the result. Think the cost was $79 US with the matting which is dirt cheap IMO. The frame and anti-glare glass I had done later at my local framer for around $150 so the entire thing was around $250 (as usual for me anyways the frame usually costs more then the print).

Glad to see some others like it as much as I do

Cheers
Calvin
post #1131 of 1278 Old 12-23-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Just wanted to say Merry x-mas and a happy new year to all my fellow AVS forum friends
Best to you all in the new year!

Calvin
post #1132 of 1278 Old 12-26-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Merrry xmas to you too Calvin....and a Happy New Year!
post #1133 of 1278 Old 03-09-2010, 02:50 PM

I know the thread it OLD.....but....how is that in-wall subwoofer holding up?

Are there any laws of nature that prevent it from being installed sideways!!??

S
post #1134 of 1278 Old 03-10-2010, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

dyslexic,

I'm still around I just haven't had the time to post in awhile. I've been upgrading some of the rack gear so I'll have to break out the camera again one day soon. The Thor in-walls are holding up great, both the vertical and horizontal mounted pairs

Cheers
Calvin
post #1135 of 1278 Old 03-17-2010, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hey Calvin,

I was just thought I would drop in to say hi. Glad to see that all is going well for you. Great to see that you continue to do your part in economic recovery. I really like the new color you have painted the walls. I like a darker room for home theatre.

Hope you and Rachel have a great 2010.
Darryl
post #1136 of 1278 Old 03-19-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Darryl. Best to you and yours this year as well. I try and get some new pics up once I get the last of the new gear installed (Axe music is doing inventory right now and I'm waiting for them to finish up to order my final couple of pieces).

Cheers
Calvin
post #1137 of 1278 Old 10-01-2010, 06:53 AM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Congrats on an amazing theater! Your extra work and planning has paid off huge!! I am excited to see more of your place! Keep posting, I need my AVS fix...ahhhh, that's better
post #1138 of 1278 Old 10-01-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Zulu,

Not to much to post about these days. I'm waiting to sell one of my places on the SE side and then I'm seriously looking at getting something along the lines of C4 installed (or similar) and a new LED PJ once they get the lumen's up past the 1100 ~ 1200 calibrated point. I can post a new pic or two of the AV rack I guess when I have some time as I have added some new gear since the old pics.

Cheers
Calvin
post #1139 of 1278 Old 10-06-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hey Cal,
Is the new paint job since I saw your HT back in 08? It looked pretty good then.

Quote:

Zulu,

Not to much to post about these days. I'm waiting to sell one of my places on the SE side and then I'm seriously looking at getting something along the lines of C4 installed (or similar) and a new LED PJ once they get the lumen's up past the 1100 ~ 1200 calibrated point. I can post a new pic or two of the AV rack I guess when I have some time as I have added some new gear since the old pics.

Cheers
Calvin

post #1140 of 1278 Old 10-06-2010, 04:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

BTW, I assume the backyard and patio area is done by now?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Speaker Systems , Yamaha , Receivers Amplifiers , Toshiba 61h70 61 Inch Hdtv Ready Projection Tv , Toshiba
Gear in this thread - 61h70 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page