Calvin's Games & HT construction thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1278 Old 09-29-2006, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Calvin,

I am located in Edmonton too! Is that a Pacesetter house? We built with Pacesetter (madison house) in 2003 in Rutherford. We paid $250K for the house and we could probably get $500K for it now. The market is crazy. We had our fair share of problems and frustrations. I think you need to buy that house and just deal with the problems yourself because as you said the builder would love to have you walk away and to sell it to someone else for much more than you are paying. It's really a said state we are in here with the trades. A lot of work is being done by non-professionals and the quality shows. Luckily our house had a good framer. The finisher was average to poor. Electrical mediocre. This was in 2002/03 when it wasn't as bad as it is now...

I prewired my house heavily with rg6 and cat 5. In our bonus room I have a theater setup with a 51" sony widescreen. I am just building my multi-purpose theater in the basement now. I have a panasonic ae 700 (wished I waited to get the 900) and a 120" motorized screen. My components won't be as high end as yours though. I find that I am actually quite happy with a $2000 audio system. I bought a cheapo motorized screen from ebay and it cost me $200CAN total. Picture seems ok and I am mounting it in the celing in the basement with the ability to swap out for a new one. Where did you get the 333 and how much?

I've got a central A/V computer room in the basement where all the wires run. I finished my basement office off in April and have 5.1 with a 42" 1080P LCD monitor in it. I am hoping to have the theatre/living room finished before Christmas.

Anyhow good luck to you and look forward to seeing the pictures as you progress. I'll be posting mine too in another thread.

Brendin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1278 Old 09-29-2006, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eq_shadimar View Post

Calvin -

Great work here! Sorry about your ducting problem. With the housing bubble bursting here in the US you would have had a lot more leverage with the builder to fix the issues.

I like option #3 too but how do you get into the office? It looks like the entrance is blocked by the chairs?

Laters,
Jeff

Jeff,

Yes the ducting has been a real pain but I'll have to address it later at this point. I'm just hoping the rest of the build goes smoothly.
In option #3 I will have to walk through the space between the 2 rows of chairs to access the office. Not Ideal but it should still work for my needs I'll also have a office PC upstairs by the Bonus room HT that will most likely get the lions share of use. Still a work in progress but I may end up moving the network printer upstairs as well.
Thanks for the post.
Cheers
post #93 of 1278 Old 09-29-2006, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnaron View Post

Hey Calvin,

I am located in Edmonton too! Is that a Pacesetter house? We built with Pacesetter (madison house) in 2003 in Rutherford. We paid $250K for the house and we could probably get $500K for it now. The market is crazy. We had our fair share of problems and frustrations. I think you need to buy that house and just deal with the problems yourself because as you said the builder would love to have you walk away and to sell it to someone else for much more than you are paying. It's really a said state we are in here with the trades. A lot of work is being done by non-professionals and the quality shows. Luckily our house had a good framer. The finisher was average to poor. Electrical mediocre. This was in 2002/03 when it wasn't as bad as it is now...

I prewired my house heavily with rg6 and cat 5. In our bonus room I have a theater setup with a 51" sony widescreen. I am just building my multi-purpose theater in the basement now. I have a panasonic ae 700 (wished I waited to get the 900) and a 120" motorized screen. My components won't be as high end as yours though. I find that I am actually quite happy with a $2000 audio system. I bought a cheapo motorized screen from ebay and it cost me $200CAN total. Picture seems ok and I am mounting it in the celing in the basement with the ability to swap out for a new one. Where did you get the 333 and how much?

I've got a central A/V computer room in the basement where all the wires run. I finished my basement office off in April and have 5.1 with a 42" 1080P LCD monitor in it. I am hoping to have the theatre/living room finished before Christmas.

Anyhow good luck to you and look forward to seeing the pictures as you progress. I'll be posting mine too in another thread.

Brendin

Brendin,

Thanks for stopping by. The home is a Pacesetter home and they are sadly not living up to expectations but this is again the market we are in. The framers were excellent for my house- I personally checked all of the walls and they were within a 1/16" which is excellent
The plumbing and electrical has been pretty good - only complaint is the ducting which is by far the worst I've seen in any home built since 1980 I'm not even sure if they were apprentices putting this in
I'm looking at just building a stand alone HT in a separate building outside or just selling and rebuilding in a year or two at this point. I originally wanted to build with Avi and now I'm kicking myself in the ass for not going with them even with the premium it would have cost I would have been far further ahead.

I bought the 333 from AVS here on the forum they are asking $7500 (us) which is an excellent price for a 3 chip DLP. I wouldn't recommend the $500 (us) overnight priority express delivery though as I paid for that and it wasn't worth it to get the PJ a day or two early. They still have a powerbuy topic up in the above $3500 PJ forum to get the numbers for Jason and co. here at AVS. The bulbs I believe with the powerbuy are just under $700 (us) and last around 1500 hours.

Thanks for the post and looking forward to seeing your pics
post #94 of 1278 Old 09-29-2006, 10:48 PM

Wow! Folks from edmonton, alberta!

I'm from there too! We just built a new house as well so I might as well get in on this discussion while it's hot.

I have to agree that the market is going nuts right now. We sold our last house for half a million, 100k more than what we built it for. Our new house cost us around a million and the lot alone has gained 150k in value in the time it took to build it. It's getting out of control, and I don't see prices dropping any time soon. I think we're looking at a ten year cycle here.

Where are you folks located in edmonton? I'm over here in College Woods, in Riverside.

EDIT: What do you folks mean by "pacesetter house"?
Our house has full on smart wiring, 2 Cat5e to every room, as well as a cable connector and various other stuff. I'm assuming you folks mean a bleeding edge tech house? We're still waiting on the Whole-house audio guys to come and install the box so we can put the speakers to use.

EDIT 2: ha ha! I'm an idiot! Pacesetter is a company that you built through!
Ignore that then.
post #95 of 1278 Old 09-30-2006, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by missedagain View Post

Wow! Folks from edmonton, alberta!

I'm from there too! We just built a new house as well so I might as well get in on this discussion while it's hot.

I have to agree that the market is going nuts right now. We sold our last house for half a million, 100k more than what we built it for. Our new house cost us around a million and the lot alone has gained 150k in value in the time it took to build it. It's getting out of control, and I don't see prices dropping any time soon. I think we're looking at a ten year cycle here.

Where are you folks located in edmonton? I'm over here in College Woods, in Riverside.

Missedagain,

Wow lots of people from Edmonton here My build is on the Terwillegar side of town. Pretty hard to believe the market that is for sure and million dollar home sure doesn't get you nearly as much in Edmonton or Calgary as it would have even 4-5 years ago.
Here is an interesting article on housing.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...-20060621.html
Our lot has also more then doubled in the last 18 months - across from me in the new sub division just been developed I've been told the lots will start at $500,000 and go to 1.3 million (just for the lots ) These are 60 pockets so some huge homes going in there no doubt, will be interesting to see what and who is building there. Will make my home look like a bargain to sell for twice what I've paid in a few years I'm sure.
I'm looking at a couple of acres just outside of town right now - may buy the land now and build new again in few years once I have this one paid off.

Back on topic - My wife is heading in to do a walk through and take some pictures tomorrow afternoon so I should have some new pictures to post on Monday. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the basement . They are using metal framing for the entire basement which I've heard will be a complete disaster sound wise for inwall speakers like I've planned so I'll be trying to get that changed if its not to late. I may just have them stop working down there as it's going to be easier to fix it from this point then when they are finished.(If they are not done already - who knows the basement could be ready for paint by the Sunday walkthrough)

Cheers
post #96 of 1278 Old 09-30-2006, 04:44 PM

Ahh terwillegar, you are very close to where we are at!

That said, this project is looking fantastic and I can't wait to see the finished product!

Out of curiosity, how much is this all running you? We just bought a TV (60inch 1080p) for 4000, so this project must be costing you at least another 50k on top of the house isn't it?
post #97 of 1278 Old 09-30-2006, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Ahh terwillegar, you are very close to where we are at!

That said, this project is looking fantastic and I can't wait to see the finished product!

Out of curiosity, how much is this all running you? We just bought a TV (60inch 1080p) for 4000, so this project must be costing you at least another 50k on top of the house isn't it?

missedagain,

Yep we are both in a highly prized area you moreso then I - I just wasn't comfortable with a million dollar mortgage so I moved south a bit where it's a bit cheaper (but still expensive )

Thanks for the kind words the project is sadly going to take a bit more work after moving then I was hoping for as I wanted to just run downstairs and turn everything on ideally. Now I will likely have to replace a couple of those darn steel framed walls in the basement and remove some of the ceiling to rerun the ducting etc.. figure going to cost me several thousands more and month or two to get everything where it should be (this is my learning cost for not planning well enough - lesson learned )

As far as costs I haven't added everything up yet and I've been paying cash for everything up to this point but I would say I passed $50K in equipment or will by the time its done + the basement been finished was $35K and installation for the A/V company is another $6k or $7k (not sure haven't seen the final bill as I'm still making last minute changes to the A/V side).

I'm looking at getting a 40" + LCD or Plasma for the living room HT which I've budgeted $2 to $4K for and then I'll likely replace my older 61" 4:3 toshiba as well for the bonus room HT and I'm looking at anywhere from $3k to $7k for a 60" to 72" DLP / LCOS set.

Not cheap that is for sure but I don't collect cars, Harley's, boats or other goodies like many of my co-workers do - electronics and movies are my vice
post #98 of 1278 Old 09-30-2006, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

missed again,

What TV did you end up buying (model and brand?) and where if you don't mind me asking (no need to mention price as you've already done that. Reason I ask is I'm looking for a 1080P for the HT in the Bonus room and maybe that set will fit the bill

Thanks.
post #99 of 1278 Old 10-01-2006, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Did a quick tally after missedagains question. Figured I should know where I'm at for spending
As we are not allowed to show anything but MSRP I've tried to do that in all cases to obey forum rules.
Some cases I could not as I couldn't locate anything on Google to give me a Canadian or US MSRP - like the Infocus 333 which was bought off of the AVS site so I'm sure they won't mind me giving the price I paid.
I've converted everything into CDN and applied MSRP CDN store prices where possible. Obviously the list will have some discrepancies and of course I haven't paid the prices listed except where noted below.

ok here is the cost for new construction HT equipment only (not counting the old stuff I had before buying the home).

Downstairs-------------------------------------------------MSRP
Sherwood Newcastle R-965 ----------------------------$ 2600
HSB-600 -------------------------------------------------$ 400
Infocus 333* --------------------------------------------$ 9500
Behringer BFD 1124P x 2 ------------------------------ $ 450
Crown CE 1000A ----------------------------------------$ 550
Behringer EP 2500 AMP ---------------------------------$ 525
Flying mole cascade amp& modules-------------------- $ 5200
Super X pro Crossovers x 2 ----------------------------- $ 300
Earthquake Thor x 4 ****--------------------------------- $ 10,000
W850 Series x 8 (only using 7) -------------------------$ 4600
GE distribution Panel ** -------------------------------- $ 1000
The Adagio Berkline Chairs x 8 --------------------------$12000
c/w power and lighted cupholders ***
Toshiba XA1 -------------------------------------------------$ 1200
Xbox 360-----------------------------------------------------$ 600
SMX Screen (what I sent)-----------------------------------$ 500

Main Level
CA850 Series x 4------------------------------------------ $ 2300
IW55Ix 1----------------------------------------------------$ 375
IWS10 x 1--------------------------------------------------- $ 700
Leather furniture ------------------------------------------- $ 8000
PDR Mount--------------------------------------------------- $ 1000
Xbox 360-----------------------------------------------------$ 600
Toshiba A1 ---------------------------------------------------$ 700
Sherwood Newcastle R-771---------------------------------$ 1000

Wires, inter-connects & remotes etc-----------------------$ 3000
Back boxes and brackets for speakers----------------------$ 1500
S&H, customs and brokerage
not included in prices above------------------------------$ 3000

Equipment + associated costs total ============= $70,200 MSRP

Installation estimated----------------------------------- $ 6000
Partially finished Basement costs------------------------$35000
(not including unfinished areas)

Total HT Components MSRP and basement costs. ----------$112,200 (+ our lovely 6% Goods & sales tax of course )
Not included in the costs are any items I had prior to construction like
the HT components going into the bonus room and PC's

* = Converted from US to CDN including S&H and customs charges not MSRP but actual price in this case
** = Actual price I paid can't find a MSRP on the exact panel I've purchased
*** = Estimated MSRP as I can't find an actual MSRP on these chairs but when you factor in exchange, S&H + C&B charges this will be pretty close to what I'm paying anyways
**** Edit - Changed this value after finding these are listed as $1999.99 MSRP (us).

Better hide this number from the wife - makes her budgeting $75K for the backyard seem down right feasible compared to my spending already and I'll likely be spending another $30K more before this is all done!
post #100 of 1278 Old 10-01-2006, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Updated photos:

The wife was by for a walkthrough today. Here are some new photos and some quick notes.

(click to enlarge all photos)

No drywalling has started yet but they are ready to go tomorrow from the looks of things as alot has been moved into the upstairs already.

Storage Room walls in place - just a barrier wall between the mechanical room and the HT where I can store materials.

Framing (spare room area)

Bathroom and A/V equipment rack room.

More to come in the next post
post #101 of 1278 Old 10-01-2006, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

continued from above:

Corner fireplace in Basement HT.

Sound room and screen wall updated photo:

Closer up look at A/V room

Next Saturday I'll be back in town and will be taking the pictures on our next walk through.
Should be looking a whole lot different by then I imagine if they are done drywall.

Cheers
post #102 of 1278 Old 10-02-2006, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I was talking with my A/V installer today on the phone and he and I were discussing what to do about the inwall subs going into the side walls. We both agreed with the steel framed walls the vibration would likely sound like hell regardless of how we framed the subwoofer with out replacing the wall themselves.

What he suggested is moving them out of the walls and putting them into the riser under the seats (similar to the drawing - of course placement can be moved to where ever in the riser it would work best). similar to the picture below. Note the subs are pretty close to scale in the diagram they are almost the size of the seat cushion on the chairs.

(click to enlarge)

The subs would be inset with a mesh covering to protect them and he thinks it will still produce a far better result then putting them in the wall.

What are your thoughts everyone ? Any ideas, comments thoughts are appreciated as this is all brand new for me wasn't even considering anything like it.

Thanks for any replies and comments
post #103 of 1278 Old 10-03-2006, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by calv1n View Post

Better hide this number from the wife - makes her budgeting $75K for the backyard seem down right feasible compared to my spending already and I'll likely be spending another $30K more before this is all done!

Not a problem, calv1n, just tell her this: "But honey, that's just the suggested retail prices - look at all the money I saved us!" - she should be familiar with that line ;-)

Sorry to hear so many "sadly"s reading through your thread, hopefully you'll get past the challenges soon, and into your new house.

Re: the use of insulation for sound-proofing - from what I've been reading here in the acoustics / Green Glue threads, insulation does very little in terms of soundproofing - the main things you'll need to keep sound from leaking out (and in) to your HT are decoupling (double stud walls, staggered stud walls, furring out drywall, etc.), mass (concrete block walls, double drywall, thicker drywall), and dampening (Green Glue). So if sound proofing is an important concern, you might want to read up / ask questions on the topic.

Re: the chairs - I like the choice you ended up with - I was looking at 088s vs. the 090s for width reasons, but it looks like the ones you got have a nicer look than the 088s, and are only a little wider (and not as wide as 090s). For me, I would have been concerned that the "cool" color scheme of the other recliners you were considering would wear off after a while - the classic color schemes seem to hold up over time better (someone in the 1950s must have thought the color scheme in our kitchen was cool once - hard to fathom - but our remodel will be taking care of that soon enough).

Re: real estate market - I live in Southern California, I can definitely relate - in our neighborhood, which is nice but hardly posh, houses like ours go for about $700K - and our house is only 1200 square feet (before remodel, and not counting the 400 or so square feet in our big garage that will be used for my HT).

Re: the plan - I too like the plans with the seats further back - that was my initial concern with your first plan, it looked like the first row would be awfully close to the screen considering the nice big screen size. Hopefully you can trial run the PJ on a sheet in that room, and get a better feel for seating distance / screen size. Hope your ducting doesn't interfere appreciably with the screen size (in the initial drawing, it looked like the screen was pretty close to the ceiling). And I would go for the PCs in a separate space - unless your job requires use of an xbox 360 :-)

Oh, and thanks for dropping in on my thread too - I hope to have some tangible progress soon, but the wait to resolve my water / joist issues may be a blessing, since I'm spending more time scouring other people's build outs, and refining my own plans.
post #104 of 1278 Old 10-03-2006, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Brad,

Thanks for stopping by - your build is coming along nicely one of the construction threads I've been watching and saying to myself - Why didn't I think of that ?. I should have done even more reading and planning before starting my HT in the basement but more importantly I should have gotten all of my plans on paper and signed off by the builder that is why I've been ending alot of posts with sadly lately

Quote:
Not a problem, calv1n, just tell her this: "But honey, that's just the suggested retail prices - look at all the money I saved us!" - she should be familiar with that line ;-)

That is a good idea but my wife is actually pretty darn good with money and up to this point hasn't really been very 'spendy' (which is a great thing). With the giant back yard though I seem to have brought out a whole separate person as she's got some pretty big plans for that yard and they are going to cost a pretty penny methinks (concrete pads, gazebo, hot tub, foreign trees etc....)

Quote:
Re: the use of insulation for sound-proofing - from what I've been reading here in the acoustics / Green Glue threads, insulation does very little in terms of soundproofing - the main things you'll need to keep sound from leaking out (and in) to your HT are decoupling (double stud walls, staggered stud walls, furring out drywall, etc.), mass (concrete block walls, double drywall, thicker drywall), and dampening (Green Glue). So if sound proofing is an important concern, you might want to read up / ask questions on the topic.

I did read up on alot of the sound proofing and thought with the insulation between the floors (24" of insulation between the basement and main floor) I would be ok as long as I got the ducting out of the room. I'm not concerned about the sound "filling" the basement at all just keeping it from the main and top floors as much as possible. Didn't work out for me but I'll see what I can do to fix it once I'm in the home.

Quote:
Re: the chairs - I like the choice you ended up with - I was looking at 088s vs. the 090s for width reasons, but it looks like the ones you got have a nicer look than the 088s, and are only a little wider (and not as wide as 090s). For me, I would have been concerned that the "cool" color scheme of the other recliners you were considering would wear off after a while - the classic color schemes seem to hold up over time better (someone in the 1950s must have thought the color scheme in our kitchen was cool once - hard to fathom - but our remodel will be taking care of that soon enough).

Same line of thinking my wife used to sway me to stick with black. The rational mind usually wins me over once I think about these things so I agreed and went with the black hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Quote:
Re: real estate market - I live in Southern California, I can definitely relate - in our neighborhood, which is nice but hardly posh, houses like ours go for about $700K - and our house is only 1200 square feet (before remodel, and not counting the 400 or so square feet in our big garage that will be used for my HT).

Expensive real estate in southern California with the beautiful weather, ocean etc... all makes sense to me but in Edmonton, Alberta a 2000 sq. ft Condo selling for $700,000 is pure insanity

Quote:
Re: the plan - I too like the plans with the seats further back - that was my initial concern with your first plan, it looked like the first row would be awfully close to the screen considering the nice big screen size. Hopefully you can trial run the PJ on a sheet in that room, and get a better feel for seating distance / screen size. Hope your ducting doesn't interfere appreciably with the screen size (in the initial drawing, it looked like the screen was pretty close to the ceiling). And I would go for the PCs in a separate space - unless your job requires use of an xbox 360 :-)

I original thought the basement would be larger then it is in my mind but once I started throwing things down on paper close to scale I saw that I was pretty much left with option #3 as the only option unless I dramatically shrunk my screen. I'm not sure how the ducting will effect everything yet. Right now my plan is to mount the PJ at 18' back and just use the zoom function to find the sweet spot that works for the room.

Did you have any thoughts regarding the new sub placement in the riser? I've heard from another fellow that I should make sure they are at least 6" from the floor and I should also inset them so they don't get damaged by the chairs.
I think I'll have to fill the whole riser with sand as well or the vibration will be horrid.
Still trying to figure out the best placement as well. I'm thinking centering them more on that row - moving them in so they basically cover 1/2 the outside arms of the loveseat and the adjoining chair.

Any thoughts on that anyone?
post #105 of 1278 Old 10-08-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:

Did you have any thoughts regarding the new sub placement in the riser? I've heard from another fellow that I should make sure they are at least 6" from the floor and I should also inset them so they don't get damaged by the chairs.
I think I'll have to fill the whole riser with sand as well or the vibration will be horrid.
Still trying to figure out the best placement as well. I'm thinking centering them more on that row - moving them in so they basically cover 1/2 the outside arms of the loveseat and the adjoining chair.

Any thoughts on that anyone?

Hey Calvin,

Are the in-wall subs designed to work with a specific volume within the wall enclosure? You could construct your own box for them and put them through the wall with the volume of the box taking up some space in one of the adjacent rooms. Or just use them in an infinite baffle design if feasable. Just throwing some ideas out there.

Jeremy
post #106 of 1278 Old 10-09-2006, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwakaruk View Post

Hey Calvin,

Are the in-wall subs designed to work with a specific volume within the wall enclosure? You could construct your own box for them and put them through the wall with the volume of the box taking up some space in one of the adjacent rooms. Or just use them in an infinite baffle design if feasible. Just throwing some ideas out there.

Jeremy,

Thanks for the input. I'll have to check into those ideas I'm not a speaker builder but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in on your suggestions. I'll look into it myself in case no speaker gurus are watching my thread

Here are some more pictures and some of the literature that came with the in walls for downstairs

(Click to enlarge)

Back side

In-wall bracket instructions

Page 1 speaker information:

Page 2 Speaker information.

The long lost fed ex order Finally in my living room.

More to Come soon:
post #107 of 1278 Old 10-09-2006, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The rest of the order that finally showed up from Fed ex and my spare bulb for the 333 has also finally shown up.

Bulb for the 333

Sherwood Newcastle R-771

Back of the R-771

Articulating Arm for Display in living room:

I've also talked to Kyle at Carolina furniture friday and he thinks my chairs will be showing up very soon as the shipping company was recently in contact with him asking for shipping directions
more to come;
post #108 of 1278 Old 10-11-2006, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Calvin,

Things are looking awesome. Congrats!!!!

Should we have a race to see who finishes first?

Joe

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #109 of 1278 Old 10-12-2006, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post

Calvin,

Things are looking awesome. Congrats!!!!

Should we have a race to see who finishes first?

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the kind words. I don't think I'm going to catch you though I'm at the mercy of my general contractor and as you can see from my last few posts things are going very slow. I was hoping they would be finished drywall and painting by mid October. Flooring by the end of October and then finally on to finishing work which will still be 6 to 8 weeks as my home has a ton of detail work and it takes time. All of the rooms have both crown and base molding, all of my doors are arched etc... its these types of "touches" that will take a lot of time.
I'm moving my expected move in Date from November 30th, 2006 to Feb. 30th 2007 now which means x-mas at the old house again. My builder won't confirm a possession date until 30 days before handing me the keys but I'm pretty darn sure baring a miracle it won't be in 2006.

Only news this week is I have my wife running the back boxes and brackets over to the A/V installer before they begin drywalling. We have our next walk through on Sunday the 22nd so hopefully I'll have some news and some photos showing some completed work at that point.

I'll keep the updates coming as new things happen of course but this thread is going to be going awhile I think.

Cheers
Calvin
post #110 of 1278 Old 10-13-2006, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I sent this e-mail to Proficient (Speakercraft) the other day to get my answer from the source

Here is a copy of the E-mail and their response.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 4:49 PM

Subject: questions about the W-850 Inwall speakers

Proficient,

I've recently purchased some of your W-850, 8" inwall speaker for a 7.4 application that my A/V installer is installing in a new home construction. I have some specific questions I'm sure your better suited to answer.

Are the in-wall designed to work with a specific volume within the wall enclosure?

I have them going into a 2" x 4" metal frame wall + 1/2 dry wall with the brackets that are designed for these speakers. I've asked the construction company to insulate the walls completely around each speaker so I assume this my best approach?

Should I leave a certain space around each speaker, leave the wall areas between the stud hollow or insulate and compact the insulation as much as possible around each speaker and bracket?

Thanks for your time.

Regards

Calvin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Sergio Rodriguez
Sent Friday, October 13, 2006 9:27 am
Subject RE: questions about the W-850 Inwall speakers

Calvin,

No there is no specific volume that you have to use for the in wall speakers in the wall enclosure. I would make sure that there is plenty of insulation in the walls since you have the metal frames but make sure you do not cover the speakers completely go around them as much as you can compacting the walls very well so they do not rattle.

Thanks,

Sergio
post #111 of 1278 Old 10-13-2006, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Calvin, I appreciate your visit to my thread and I read thru your's tonight...this looks like an incredible job...we built 2 homes in our younger years, so I know how it goes...I acted as main contractor on one as well. Would not want to do it again..

I will say that I wish I lived in Canada...man, the home value appreciation sounds unreal. I don't know how people afford it...when somebody says half a million or a million dollar house, that to me means a real paymemt...I guess it's all relative......thanks though for the great info...I hungered for a Sherwood Newcastle but, in the end, it just was not in the cards... Uncle Willie

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #112 of 1278 Old 10-14-2006, 12:39 AM

Quote:

missed again,

What TV did you end up buying (model and brand?) and where if you don't mind me asking (no need to mention price as you've already done that. Reason I ask is I'm looking for a 1080P for the HT in the Bonus room and maybe that set will fit the bill

Thanks.

JVC 61FH97, although there is a 71 incher if you're looking for a bit bigger.
Got it from visions, amazing quality TV. I don't remember how much it cost us, but it was over 4000 i think. But less than the competing SXRD by a couple hundred i believe.

Picture attached
Nintendo DS Lite/bottle of water for size referance.

Also: The amount you are spending on your multimedia is insane and very impressive. We went conservative on this house so we could pay if off in 2 or 3 years, and so we don't exactly have a whole bunch of neat stuff to show off
LL
post #113 of 1278 Old 10-14-2006, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Calvin, I appreciate your visit to my thread and I read thru your's tonight...this looks like an incredible job...we built 2 homes in our younger years, so I know how it goes...I acted as main contractor on one as well. Would not want to do it again..

I will say that I wish I lived in Canada...man, the home value appreciation sounds unreal. I don't know how people afford it...when somebody says half a million or a million dollar house, that to me means a real paymemt...I guess it's all relative......thanks though for the great info...I hungered for a Sherwood Newcastle but, in the end, it just was not in the cards... Uncle Willie

Willie,

Thanks for stopping by. I've read your thread and was visiting it the other day again - Nice pics of "Master and Commander" and I'd suggest the Mits 3000 (out of the ones you mentioned) when your ready to upgrade bang for the buck its a great PJ.
In alot of ways I wish I was building this house or at least had left the basement for myself to finish off. To late now but perhaps my next home as this sadly won't be the house I'll be living in for the next 20 years as I had originally hoped
Living up here in Edmonton is very expensive the average 2 story home is around $350,000 now I've heard and that is starting so your not getting a whole lot. Payments on a $300k to $700k mortgage at 6% are not pretty that is for sure and I honestly don't know how many people are doing it as not everyone can be making $100K + a year. I think many people are doing 35yr mortgages and taking on far to much debt.
I wanted the Sherwood Newcastle after doing a lot of research bang for the buck they are an incredible piece of equipment. If you shop around you can get them for far less then I would have imagined as well. In hind sight I would have like to have gone to separates but I was offered a terrific deal on the R-965 and the HSB-600 together so I went that direction instead. The R-965 is a beast of a receiver and compared to the R-771 I picked up later its a giant. The R-771 was an after thought I figured I'd pick up to use in the bonus room and move my Yamaha 1000 down in the A/V room to run the living room HT.
I'll be sure to share my thoughts on everything once its up and running but I'm expecting to be impressed with everything once it's all properly calibrated and set up even with the basement not quite coming together as planned.
Cheers
Calvin
post #114 of 1278 Old 10-14-2006, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

JVC 61FH97, although there is a 71 incher if you're looking for a bit bigger.
Got it from visions, amazing quality TV. I don't remember how much it cost us, but it was over 4000 i think. But less than the competing SXRD by a couple hundred i believe.

Also: The amount you are spending on your multimedia is insane and very impressive. We went conservative on this house so we could pay if off in 2 or 3 years, and so we don't exactly have a whole bunch of neat stuff to show off

My friend just bought that exact same TV from Futureshop last week I'm heading over to his house on the 20th to check it out and see if its going to fit the bill for what I'm looking for. He paid under $3500 but it was on sale I guess and I'm not sure I won't want a 70" unit for the bonus room if it will fit ok in the window space I've planned for. I'll definitely be getting the largest display I can fit in the space with the components I can.

I'm spending a pretty big chunk of change no doubt but I originally planned to live in this house for the next 20 to 30 years so at the time it was an investment into my happiness. I'll definitely have to be selling it to another HT nut to get anything back out of my investment as the average home buyer doesn't want a $50k increase to the value of the home due to built in HT gear.
I wish I could say I'll have mine paid off in 2 to 3 years but that is just not possible for me with out eating mac and cheese and locking myself into my office at work for 400 hours a month (I'm already here for 280 and that enough ) I'm looking at 10 to 15 years to pay this one off if I keep it.

It sounds like once you've paid off your house in 2-3 years you will have no problems getting "a bunch of neat stuff" with your means You will definitely have to start a thread and get some pictures up once you start getting the A/V bug I would love to see what a fellow with your resources puts together considering your knowledge from the AVS forums I'm sure it would be pretty spectacular!
Cheers
post #115 of 1278 Old 10-14-2006, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Slow work day today - going through some corporate changes up here so I figured I'd take this down time to work on my riser plans.

This is what I've come up with so far for level 1 made with 2 x 4 treated lumber which will sit directly on the carpeted floor in the basement.

(as usual click to enlarge all photos )

For the second level I've gone with 2 x 6 untreated lumber with a box to hold the subs. I've decided to glue and screw one level of 3/4" OSB between the 2 levels and to insulate or sand between all the braces (haven't made up my mind yet on insulation, sand or a mixture of both? any input here would be appreciated.

2nd level

I'll have the subs inset in the 2nd level and a protective grating to ensure they can be protected from a mishap like a chair leg getting slid over top of them. I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to do this but I think a steel grill of some kind I can have a welder friend make up should fit the bill

After the subs are inset I'll have the subs plugged in to the pre run speaker cable and have the power bar or power bars placed so that the 4 chairs will have the necessary power, once done I can carpet the rest and leave the subs open other then the grating.

I have no plans for any lighting in the riser. I'm willing to live with out that final "nice" touch. I may change my mind later and if so I'll just have to strip that one small section with the stair portion.

let me know what you think , any ideas thoughts, comments or suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks
Calvin
post #116 of 1278 Old 10-15-2006, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Calvin,

Sorry this response is so late but I was reading back to try and understand why you were putting the subs in the riser. I am not a big fan of this. I believe the exerience you get and want from subs is air pressure. With the subs in the riser I don't believe you will ever get the feeing you would be looking for before the tactile aspect of the subs gets too great.

Then I saw that you have aluminum studs and framework. If I were you I would have them, and I know this is harsh, torn out and replaced. I have had quite a few booboos in my construction and have had to bite the bullit and redo. I think these are 2 compromises that you should not be making. I believe you will be disappointed in the final theater and I know you don't want that. IMHO, of course.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #117 of 1278 Old 10-15-2006, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post

Calvin,

Sorry this response is so late but I was reading back to try and understand why you were putting the subs in the riser. I am not a big fan of this. I believe the exerience you get and want from subs is air pressure. With the subs in the riser I don't believe you will ever get the feeing you would be looking for before the tactile aspect of the subs gets too great.

Then I saw that you have aluminum studs and framework. If I were you I would have them, and I know this is harsh, torn out and replaced. I have had quite a few booboos in my construction and have had to bite the bullit and redo. I think these are 2 compromises that you should not be making. I believe you will be disappointed in the final theater and I know you don't want that. IMHO, of course.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the comment. I was thinking like you 100% as to the way to do it but when I met with my builder and they told me they weren't changing a thing (they are behind schedule and over budget ). I'm basically left with what they build if it isn't specifically in writing
This just gets chalked up in my lessons learned column for next time but sadly if I want to rework the room I will have to do it myself and after I take possession of the home. I haven't completely given up on the idea redoing the room once I move in but I'm just as likely to sell the home and start over from scratch with a new builder in a new location as well. I think it will cost me $20,000 to fix (or more) all the mistakes I currently have in the room, as it will be when its finished. My plan for now is to let them finish it their way (they are anyways) and then try to do what I can (which is live with the ducting, move the subs into the riser etc..).
My A/V installer suggested the subs in the riser rather then not use them at all (which is what I was planning on doing - just returning or selling the two I wouldn't be using). He seems to think it will be good and says he's done it in the past with success - I have never seen it first hand so I'm willing to waste some time and money to see if its better then no subs in the rear part of the room for now.
Sadly what can not be changed must be endured so that is why I'm going the less the perfect route in this case.
Cheers
Calvin
post #118 of 1278 Old 10-15-2006, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I hear you. Sorry.

Is there a way fo the builder to not finish the room? And you finish it later? If he is behind he might go for that and give you some sort of rebate?

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #119 of 1278 Old 10-15-2006, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Joe always appreciate the comments. Good, bad or otherwise. I'm learning as I go and in hindsight everything is clearer. I always wanted to build my own room but I knew with my schedule and work load and the time I spend physically away from the home I would have no chance to get my HT up and running with out a year or two going by. I figured my best bet was to pay others to do it but I was short sighted in that I didn't supply specific written instructions regarding every aspect of the build - the seller as usual told me one thing and the builder told me another. Sadly in this case the builder and not the seller has the stroke so I'm left with what they will do with the contract in place.

I was at one point (after I saw the ducting) going to stop all the building in the basement completely other then the mechanical room but my wife talked me out of it. The cost and the time needed for me to do it myself again at this late date would have been considerable so she's convinced me to just try it out and see if I can live with it. If I can't I can always tear it all out, build another HT room onto the existing home or just build a whole new house somewhere else so eventually I'll end up with something I like just might take a bit longer and a lot more $$. As always nothing time and money can't fix.

The wife is doing a walkthrough today at 1:00 pm so I hope to have some new photos up either later today or tomorrow if anything has been done at the home since my last one. She is also dropping off all the brackets and back boxes for the speakers so hopefully my A/V installer gets those in place before another contractor walks off with them.
post #120 of 1278 Old 10-15-2006, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, it sounds like the builder from He_ _. Sorry I made you revisit what I am sure were difficult decisions again.

I will keep commenting but in a more positive vein.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Speaker Systems , Yamaha , Receivers Amplifiers , Toshiba 61h70 61 Inch Hdtv Ready Projection Tv , Toshiba
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page